Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killing your own heifer for the freezer

Options
  • 26-07-2018 9:39pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering if people still do this?

I remember neighbours doing it here years ago but haven’t heard of anyone doing it recently.

Is it possible if you can find an independent abattoir?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Yes as long as the abattoir is DAFM approved. What county are you in and others here may be able to point you in the right direction.
    Arrange for the abattoir to butcher and pack the carcass as well. Also make sure you have a decent sized chest freezer to keep the meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

I remember neighbours doing it here years ago but haven’t heard of anyone doing it recently.

If it's diy job at home your talking no it's not allowed anymore.she has to be done in a slaughterhouse facility.its to do with welfare and disposal of waste.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Thanks folks.

We’re in Waterford so anyplace around the south-east region would be good.

Definitely not doing a DIY job. I wouldn’t have the skills or facilities for it.

Roughly how much meat would you get from a heifer that kills out at 250-ish kgs? Would it fill a chest freezer?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,165 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Thanks folks.

Definitely not doing a DIY job. I wouldn’t have the skills or facilities for it.

Roughly how much meat would you get from a heifer that kills out at 250-ish kgs? Would it fill a chest freezer?

You'd be better if you could share it with someone first, a side each, to see how you get on, it's not all steaks and roasts and if it isn't up to scratch it takes a long long time to empty the freezer.
    just my tuppenceworth

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

Father in law still does it. Heffer pig and lambs every year. I believe he uses someone down around the mountrath area. Not 100% sure though

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

wrangler wrote: »
    Thanks folks.

You'd be better if you could share it with someone first, a side each, to see how you get on, it's not all steaks and roasts and if it isn't up to scratch it takes a long long time to empty the freezer.
    just my tuppenceworth

Sound. Was thinking there’d be a lot of meat to get thru alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

My parents still do this. I think they get a local butcher to do the business. Lots and lots of meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,500 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Agree with Wrangler, split with another family. Do the same with a lamb. A suggestion would be to invest in a slow cooker. Would make good use of the slower cooking cuts. They will turn out more delicious than the steaks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

OH and get a mincer because you will end up with an awful lot of steaks...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,165 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Water John wrote: »
    Agree with Wrangler, split with another family. Do the same with a lamb. A suggestion would be to invest in a slow cooker. Would make good use of the slower cooking cuts. They will turn out more delicious than the steaks.

Or an aga, second hands seem to be cheap now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Uncle does this on a yearly basis along with the odd deer , it’s a hell of a lot of grub. He has two big freezers in shed.
    He gets it slaughtered and cut into quarters then his local butcher does the rest..very handy to get butcher to do it as he will mince what he needs and do roasts the the likes to whatever size he wants as well as bagging and labelling it.
    I think the butcher takes a fore quarter for payment..

Advertisement