Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How do you feel about "Do-Gooders"?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller Returns

Try_harder wrote: »
    What is the obsession with likes ffs???

That's why these social justice "activists" do these things. I guarantee she couldn't care less about the deportee. It's all vapid attention seeking. Why else is she recording herself?

People on the far-right can't comprehend the idea that someone might do something decent for no personal gain.

Jesus change the record. Everyone who disagrees with you is far right. Maybe people just see this see this idiot for the person she really is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

I admire her bravery to stand up like that and halt the deportation however misguided it may have been. It's easy to become emotionally involved and to empathise when you meet asylum seekers and hear of the life they left behind, even if they are not entitled to asylum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Creative83 wrote: »
    You are a do gooder then! If you get involved in this ****e

Fair enough, I just wouldn't necessarily call it "do gooding" considering that it's often confrontational and destructive as well as the times it's collaborative and constructive. For example, obstructing Irish Water installing meters wouldn't be considered "do-gooding". Not all acts of civil disobedience in furtherance of a political agenda involve doing a good deed which is designed to directly help another individual, which would have thought is the classic definition of being a "do-gooder".

In general, the term refers to busybodies who butt in to "help" others without asking, and inadvertently make the situation worse in doing so. An example would be someone who calls the cops to report a car burglary next door, when in fact it's the car's owner breaking in because they locked their keys inside. Or someone who intervenes in a couple's feud to try and get them back together, and instead causes them to break up by babbling. It has to involve the irony of the supposed good deed backfiring and having the opposite effect. This doesn't count for political activism, since it's rarely intended as a selfless good deed but as an advancement of one's own preferred political agenda.

pauliebdub wrote: »
    I admire her bravery to stand up like that and halt the deportation however misguided it may have been. It's easy to become emotionally involved and to empathise when you meet asylum seekers and hear of the life they left behind, even if they are not entitled to asylum.

But she knows absolutely nothing about the person. A court in Sweden - a country that has been more than generous to immigrants - has decided he's not entitled to asylum. Who is she to tell them they're wrong? Besides what has she achieved except delaying the flight and delaying his deportation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Preventing the deportation of someone who you genuinely believe will be killed if they get deported is a fundamentally decent thing to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

People on the far-right can't comprehend the idea that someone might do something decent for no personal gain.

The fact she recorded her protest and posted it contradicts your suggestion she sought no personal gain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Creative83 wrote: »
    I will give you a perfect example of a do gooder.

A guy I used to know went to Greece a couple of years ago to help the Syrian "refugees" in the camps there. He made a post on Facebook all of a sudden saying he was going... garnered a couple of hundred likes.

I seen his post too late to challenge him. He obviously wasn't aware that the vast majority in those camps aren't Syrian. He is still there as far as I know assisting illegal economic migrants into Europe.

He would consider himself a political activist.

Political activism my ****ing hole

If he believes that economic migrants should be allowed in regardless, then that is indeed political activism. Just because you don't agree with a political cause, doesn't mean it isn't activism.

Preventing the deportation of someone who you genuinely believe will be killed if they get deported is a fundamentally decent thing to do.

What has she prevented, the deportation order was not revoked. All she has achieved is 'likes'. Now if she were to go to Syria and join the 'White Helmets'.... respect.

• Advertisement

How does she know he will be killed? Do you know her? Has she told you all this? Plus, he's going to be deported anyway

How does she know he will be killed? Do you know her? Has she told you all this? Plus, he's going to be deported anyway

Knowledge and belief are two different things, Dick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

I respect these guys more as they are not looking for attention.
    German pilots refusing to fly failed asylum seekers home.
    Now whether you agree with their position or not is another thing
    However, some pilots have spoken anonymously to German media about the moral difficulty they feel in ferrying families back to an uncertain and potentially dangerous situation.

"A family comes to you, with a couple little ones and you just know you're sealing their future," one pilot told journalists for Bento.

https://www.dw.com/en/german-pilots-refuse-to-carry-out-deportations/a-41638832

I'd say half the fascists on here would call for those pilots to be sacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭vladmydad

Yes I would

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Easy to say - deport them all.

But try looking into the eyes of a three year old that you are about to fly back to Sudan or Afghanistan. How would you react knowing they are going back there?

Oh and the Belgians deported a number of Sudanese....it ended real well for the deportees that one
    Nine Sudanese were subsequently sent home, and accounts quickly surfaced that at least three of them, from the violence-prone Darfur and South Kordofan regions, were abused. The accounts appeared in the Belgian media and in interviews conducted by the Tahrir Institute for Middle East Policy, a Washington-based think tank.

In the interviews, the men said they had been detained, interrogated, threatened with persecution, and beaten or even tortured.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/10/world/europe/belgium-sudan-theo-francken.html

• Advertisement

I respect these guys more as they are not looking for attention. German pilots refusing to fly failed asylum seekers home. Now whether you agree with their position or not is another thing

If only their forefathers were as willing to refuse to do what they were told....

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    If only their forefathers were as willing to refuse to do what they were told....

What? You mean break the law? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The only activists I ever knew were rich kids pretending to be poor with a nice safety net of comfortable parents behind them

Definitely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

aaakev wrote: »
    I bet shes a vegan too.

That's a pretty miserable point of view. You think those that try to reduce harm to the planet and reduce suffering in the world are people to be mocked?

• Advertisement

What? You mean break the law?

What law?

Eathrin wrote: »
    That's a pretty miserable point of view. You think those that try to reduce harm to the planet and reduce suffering in the world are people to be mocked?

ye

There are some joyless people on here. Not a nice opinion between them.

Why because they have a different opinion from you?

Why because they have a different opinion from you?

No, because they don't express any non-harsh opinions at all. About anything.

Lads, who hurt ye?

No, because they don't express any non-harsh opinions at all. About anything.

Maybe they missed out on their rose tinted glasses allocation. You seem to have few spare...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Maybe they missed out on their rose tinted glasses allocation. You seem to have few spare...

Anything short of utter pessimism should be dismissed so! :D

Eathrin wrote:
    Anything short of utter pessimism should be dismissed so!

Whatever you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

There are plenty of deluded people on here that will get behind pretty much anything if it’s coming from a certain side of the political spectrum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,199 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

mynamejeff wrote: »
    simple tazer in the neck and hauled off the plane . .

the first part would be against her human rights and would have been an abuse given she was of no threat. the second i believe did happen, she was removed. fair play to this brave young woman for standing up for what she believes in, if anything she got the usual suspects on the various sites nashing their teeth, so she achieved something.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

There are some joyless people on here.

going on my past experience of human nature...you'd probably morph into Adolf himself if she pulled this attention seeking stunt on your own flight!

the first part would be against her human rights and would have been an abuse given she was of no threat. the second i believe did happen, she was removed. fair play to this brave young woman for standing up for what she believes in, if anything she got the usual suspects on the various sites nashing their teeth, so she achieved something.

She has achieved nothing of consequence other than FB likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

Pretzeluck wrote: »
    Why do you bet that she's vegan? I'm vegan but I detest her. Animals have more value for me because they don't torture and kill for pleasure.

My cats do. Evil feckers ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Just another leftie idiot looking for notice, she should have brought yer man home with her and gave him a room in her own house.

She had no idea what he was being deported for yet decided she would be an annoying busybody and stick her nose in anyway.

When you think lefties can't get any more stupid they surprise us all.

fly_agaric wrote: »
    going on my past experience of human nature...you'd probably morph into Adolf himself if she pulled this attention seeking stunt on your own flight!

Who hurt you?

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭soiseztomabel

She's doing it for attention. Why does she feel the need to film herself? And what exactly does she know about the deportee's case?

If she really wanted him the stay in the country she should of let him blow his beans up her and it would be plain sailing.... probably would of got less media coverage and invitations to Swedish chat shows though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

She looks like the kind of person that would vote Yes.

If she really wanted him the stay in the country she should of let him blow his beans up her and it would be plain sailing....

5b268b97cd8ed785ba944c161acc5fd0.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

If they don't like bacon, then yes! Fcuk off with you eating the food my food eats!

• Advertisement

Yea, her bs online fans that mean nothing in the real world, but to people like this. Online bs means more than going out in the real world and proving yourself. Sick of this ****e.

What ever happened to people helping others, without posting online and looking for likes and shares? Now it seems that any "good" you do it's needed to post online for confirmation of how good a person you are.
    Complete and utter bull****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

How do I feel about 'do-gooder's' ?

Well to be honest I don't really spend much time thinking about them.

I would not give them any attention either.

I would worry about cutting my toe-nails, before I worry about this sort of guff.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

Aw tis your self what a surprise

She was in fact committing a public order offence and disrupting a flight , and refusing to comply with a requests of staff of the airline,

Ideal candidate for tazer and would have allowed the flight to leave without disruption and made the end of the video fantastic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

deco nate wrote: »
    Yea, her bs online fans that mean nothing in the real world, but to people like this. Online bs means more than going out in the real world and proving yourself. Sick of this ****e.

What ever happened to people helping others, without posting online and looking for likes and shares? Now it seems that any "good" you do it's needed to post online for confirmation of how good a person you are.

Like the changing colours of photo's on facebook for the latest trendy 'cause'.

Buying those charity bracelets.

People organising a minutes applause at sports events which have to do with some other event completely unrelated to the game, so they can self congratulate each other.

It is all a bit student-union-ey.

Most grow out of it.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,199 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

deco nate wrote: »

the whole likes and filming for social media nonsense is a fair point, but it's a separate thing to the act itself that this lady engaged in and whether she genuinely believed she was doing the right thing by trying to hi-light this person's case and engaging in political activism to do so.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

Like the changing colours of photo's on facebook for the latest trendy 'cause'.

Buying those charity bracelets.

People organising a minutes applause at sports events which have to do with some other event completely unrelated to the game, so they can self congratulate each other.

It is all a bit student-union-ey.

Most grow out of it.

If only, it's only getting worse the amount of people posing like this is insane I really wish to go back to the old days but to be a good person now you need likes and confirmation that you really are that great person that you believe you are, but only if you get the likes.

You can't watch a YouTube video now without the next video popping up will be "some" person helping out a person in need. Just help and fcuk off and stop demeaning someone that needs help,they are better off without those arse holes.

• Advertisement

the whole likes and filming for social media nonsense is a fair point, but it's a separate thing to the act itself that this lady engaged in and whether she genuinely believed she was doing the right thing by trying to hi-light this person's case and engaging in political activism to do so.
    Without knowing Wtf was going on, I say no!
    Sorry but it's bull****.
    She knew f all. But jumped up. Nope!

Wannabe youtube hero/Internet fame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

AH: Bogger Stormfront.
    After Hours - where doing something good is bad.

Seriously, why are you here everyday if you think it's just full of fascists and alt-right loons?

But the fact that she is recording it takes away from any alleged good. "Good" isn't just judged by the act but by how you conduct yourself. As the great philosopher Jesus Christ said, when you do a good act don't announce it in the street a blow trumpet so all can see you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

This is Sweden We're talking about here, one of the most liberal countries in the world so I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest there was damn good reason to deport this fella.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Thoughtform

Can see how it appears attention-seeking, and I agree that it's likely he committed a serious offence given it's Sweden, but some of the comments are just nuts!
    As for "Then you are a do-gooder!" to someone who said they agree with political activism - no need for completion of any Mensa form there I'd say. :D
    Should have brought them both to fvcking Afghanistan, I'm sure she'd have found it a delightful place for a blonde northern Europe girl. Absolutely fvcking delightful
    Crikey, where did that come from?! :D
    She clearly demonstrated that she believes Afghanistan to be a terrible place.
    Pretzeluck wrote: »
    I assume you have evidence for your claim? I can claim that the sun doest exist.
    Ever see a cat killing a bird? Similar to your enjoyment of beheadings (not sure why I'm taking their bait!)

• Advertisement
Advertisement