Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sending Cash home from US

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Much easier said than done.

The last "amnesty" to illegal Irish was 25 years ago, since then the only way to get legal has been to get married, or win the DV lottery.
    That's basically what I mean. If there's any chance at all that the OP's son is unsure of how long he plans on staying, then he should either make himself legal now or put a hard date on his return and book his flights.

Otherwise he runs the risk of being one of these people in a decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

seamus wrote: »
    That's basically what I mean. If there's any chance at all that the OP's son is unsure of how long he plans on staying, then he should either make himself legal now or put a hard date on his return and book his flights.

Otherwise he runs the risk of being one of these people in a decade.

Thanks All..... just an update.

1. He gave his cash to a J1 Mate who lodged it to his own account in the USA. Then transferred to his AIB account and then over to the son. So all good
    there
    2. We talking $1500 here in total
    3. Job finished up and son now on the travels to usual spots ... Las Vegas where I expect he will blow most of it!
    4. Bought his return ticket and home in 10 days.

Thanks again all...very interesting feedback

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

I could be wrong but the impression I got was that OP's son is over on a J1 or similar. If this is a more long term thing I would be surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

Bank of America allow you open accounts even if you haven't got a visa. They ask for two photo IDs- your passport and your drivers license, something with your name on it which they say you can use another bank card as it has your name printed on it, they'll take your lease or address as something too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

Ill take my chances the Post over Western Union anyday

• Advertisement
Advertisement