Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Suzuki Grand Vitara noises

• 27-07-2018 6:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭

Hi all, recently purchased a 2006 Suzuki grand vitara with 113000. On the test drive it went well and no issues. Unfortunately tested the car at 6pm in a Dublin suburb so couldnt get the car up to any speed.
    Have noticed on my m50 commute a droning noise, mainly above 80kph. Its sounds like a bad wheel bearing but only louder. Its almost like being on an airplane!
    I changed the fluids in the differentials and transfer box with 80w90 and what came out was like sludge. My gut tells me there is a problem with the diffs and its not a bearing. Anyone else ever experienced a problem like this with a 4 x 4?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Does the Zuk have a roof rack or roof bars on it at all? It could be the wind catching something?

I remember years ago I bought a 3 year old ford Focus and it had terrible wind noise. Turns out the rubber seal at the top of the windscreen had popped out and it was a simple fix. Go around the car, check if anything is caught underneath or sticking out of place.

What sort of tyres are on it? Are they chunkier All Terrain tyres or mud tyres? They can make a huge difference to how a car sounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭raven41

pete4130 wrote: »
    Does the Zuk have a roof rack or roof bars on it at all? It could be the wind catching something?

I remember years ago I bought a 3 year old ford Focus and it had terrible wind noise. Turns out the rubber seal at the top of the windscreen had popped out and it was a simple fix. Go around the car, check if anything is caught underneath or sticking out of place.

What sort of tyres are on it? Are they chunkier All Terrain tyres or mud tyres? They can make a huge difference to how a car sounds.

No roof bars/rack on it. I am fairly sure it's coming from the underside of the car. Tyres are of the regular road variety but are worn and mismatched but I can't see that being the cause of the racket.
    Fairly sure it's something mechanical as opposed to wind type noise.
    Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

What happens if you change the 4x4 settings?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Tyres?

biko wrote: »
    What happens if you change the 4x4 settings?

It's the bargain basement 1.6 model so it has full time 4 wheel drive and no selector switch for different settings.

• Advertisement

Tyres?

Will be changing them soon anyway, might be a factor alright...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I've recently had kinda same issue ('05 1.6 auto). A grinding coming from underneath car. Thought it was brake pads/disc. However when I brought it to local First Stop garage I was told it was a rear passenger side axel problem. (My technicals aren't great so bear with me): Bearings on the "shoe set?" had eroded and needed replacing. This is on a four bolt plate that attaches to the rear axel rod. Now like I say- all those words could be wrong.

They'd to order the part and price for fitting was 340. They tightened it up and sent me on my way to return when they had part in. A week goes by- I ring. "Ah yeah....eh...that part's still on order...or part of the part is. 10 days later I ring- "Ah yeah, yeah, that pat's in, drop it into us". I do- a phone call later they say they can't find the prioblem, that the original guy I was dealing with is on compassionate leave. They're happy to bolt everything back up and at no cost.

Today, a week later, I hear the same grinding. Ho-hum.

Is the noise bad when cornering at low speed?

I dont hear the noise at lower speeds, its only noticeable at 80 kph and above. Jacked all 4 corners up this morning and turn all 4 wheels hoping to find some play or hear noises thus confirming a suspected wheel bearing issue. No such luck. Probably something more expensive. Anyway the plot thickens and looks like my wallet will be getting lighter.

Advertisement