Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FR7044 to Malaga

Options
  • 27-07-2018 7:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭

Arrived at Dublin airport this morning for 6:25 flight to Malaga only to be told after getting through security that the flight is delayed 10 hours !

10 hours ! Seriously how is that even possible ? :mad:

Anyway looking through FR24 app here trying to find the planes travel history to establish where the delay might have originated. How would I determine the registration of the plane being used ?

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Ryanair are short on staff and also have rolling strikes across their network.

You won't be able to find the frame used and it'll be different nearly every day, a flight that early is going to be a Dublin based aircraft so it's not delayed coming in

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Fagashlil

According to the crew who arrived in the crew room to operate the flight, the aircraft didn't return to base for some reason last night, and there's currently no spare aircraft in dub and theyre waiting on a spare to be flown in and that's the earliest one can be flown in.

Which may be from the random excuse generator; but means the OP definitely qualifies for 261 compensation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭v10

Just a pity they didn’t give us some notice so we wouldn’t have to sit around the airport for 10 hours .. stupid stuff

They’ve updated now with 11:55 departure time, so that’ll be 5½ delay ..

From a compensation point of view what would I be entitled to ?

• Advertisement

400 per passenger as it's >1500km if I remember right

L1011 wrote: »
    400 per passenger as it's >1500km if I remember right

It’ll be interesting to see how easy that is to get !

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭LeChienMefiant

Looking back on planes that should have arrived to DUB last night, but did not:
    https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/fr8999
    https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/fr1456

It looks like those cancellations possibly originated in BRU/BVA yesterday with quite a few cancellations.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Boxcar_Willie

v10 wrote: »
    It’ll be interesting to see how easy that is to get !

No connection to this company but I've used them twice and found them to be excellent .
    http://www.myrefund.ie
    They do operate on a commission but saves you doing all the crawling.
    Go it alone and Ryanair will certainly give you the run-around.

They’ve updated now with 11:55 departure time, so that’ll be 5½ delay ..

From a compensation point of view what would I be entitled to ?

Just be aware that in calculating delay times for the purpose of 261 compensation it's the delay in arrival time at your destination that's used.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Have to contradict you there, had a delay out of Birmingham a few weeks back, claimed the EU261 as per their web form, acknowledged within 2 days, and agreed, money was in bank account 10 days later in accordance with the response we got. No arguments, no run around.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Have to contradict you there, had a delay out of Birmingham a few weeks back, claimed the EU261 as per their web form, acknowledged within 2 days, and agreed, money was in bank account 10 days later in accordance with the response we got. No arguments, no run around.

Glad to hear that , I was judging by my experience where the gate agent announced that the delay was for technical reasons but when claim was submitted they came back with other reasons. It was eventually paid but only after many months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rivegauche

I don't know if the pilots of the delayed flights are intentionally doing their passengers a favour or not but when they mention on the intercom that the delay was due to a technical issue they are providing you with about the only piece of information that allows you to proceed with an EU261 claim because the claim handling department may concoct another reason for delay and then deny your claim.
    I was delayed for over 4 hours, nearly 5 hours on the day of a strike on a non Dublin based plane on the day of a strike in Dublin and my hopes of getting my €250 EU261 claim honoured is what the pilot says on the intercom and relevant European case law which states that mechanical breakdown is not a reason to deny payment.
    I'll see shortly if I get my compensation or not.

If someone knows of a register of reasons why a flight on a particular date is late or cancelled then I'd love to know.

They’ve issued digital icoupons of €5 twice now but the places that are supposed to accept them say they’re out of order !

Does Ryanair accept these coupons themselves .. in flight ?

No connection to this company but I've used them twice and found them to be excellent .
    http://www.myrefund.ie
    They do operate on a commission but saves you doing all the crawling.

Ryanair are nowhere near as awkward as they were, these companies take a hefty commission and you do nearly all the work.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Same here. Very quick, no issues at all.
    They’ve issued digital icoupons of €5 twice now but the places that are supposed to accept them say they’re out of order !

Does Ryanair accept these coupons themselves .. in flight ?

Don't bother with them - just buy your own food and add it to the claim. I got an extra €10 from them on the claim above for dinner (although they wouldn't cover me pint!).

Not Malaga but my €5 voucher was a stamped piece of paper and I walked less than 20 metres from the Ryanair Customer Service desk to the nearest sandwich bar where it was accepted without quibble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

rivegauche wrote: »
    I don't know if the pilots of the delayed flights are intentionally doing their passengers a favour or not but when they mention on the intercom that the delay was due to a technical issue they are providing you with about the only piece of information that allows you to proceed with an EU261 claim because the claim handling department may concoct another reason for delay and then deny your claim.
    I was delayed for over 4 hours, nearly 5 hours on the day of a strike on a non Dublin based plane on the day of a strike in Dublin and my hopes of getting my €250 EU261 claim honoured is what the pilot says on the intercom and relevant European case law which states that mechanical breakdown is not a reason to deny payment.
    I'll see shortly if I get my compensation or not.

If someone knows of a register of reasons why a flight on a particular date is late or cancelled then I'd love to know.

My parents got delayed over 5 hrs to and another 6hrs on the way back from london. When we checked the website ryanair says you cannot claim as you took your original flight. There was an option of canceling and booking another flight then you could claim alright. My parents are 80 and they arrived at 4am in the shannon airport on the way back.
    So no claim available for them.

My parents got delayed over 5 hrs to and another 6hrs on the way back from london. When we checked the website ryanair says you cannot claim as you took your original flight. There was an option of canceling and booking another flight then you could claim alright. My parents are 80 and they arrived at 4am in the shannon airport on the way back.
    I booked separate flights on way out and way back so they won't catch me there.

Somehow, they got wrong information. The flight we were booked on was the flight we travelled on, but delayed significantly. We claimed on EU261, and were paid, with no massive hassles in terms of the original claim or the payment time.

Birmingham airport was another matter, they were very bad indeed, but that's not the subject here. It matters not if they travelled on the booked flight or another flight, the criteria for payment is the length of the delay, and the reason for it, and if both criteria are met, then there's no argument about the validity of the claim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭VG31

EU261 compensation applies if you arrive at your destination over 3 hours late. It makes no difference whether you take the original, delayed flight or are rebooked.

Just spotted something else, OP, you mentioned 5 Hrs TO, AND 6 Hrs from, which means that they are entitled to claim EU261 for both flights. Depending on when this was, you could still be able to claim. It would certainly be worth checking out in more detail, especially if they've not submitted a claim and had it rejected.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bennyineire

I was in the airport yesterday to fly to Stuutgart with Ryanair due to fly out at 17:40. Got through security to find out it was delayed by 1 hour, 1 hour laster they said it would be delayed by another 2 hours.
    Then at 8:15pm told us the flight was cancelled, could be your plane that never came back.

Was gutted as were the kids, we were doing a fly and drive tour around south Germany and were due to fly back from Munich on Aug 2nd.

We just went home last night (Offaly), as the Que for people to make arrangements with Ryanair was crazy plus I'd imagine they wouldn't be able to do anything for us.

So got on to Ryanair today to see if I could rebook or get a refund for my flight home from Munich and guess what, no dice because it's not deemed to be the return flight. Bacially I won'r be able to make that flight because Ryanair cancelled my flight last night but I won't be ellagible for at the very least a rebooking.

I explained that I would like to rebook both flights for 2 weeks time but all that I can do is change the return flight like any other Joe soup (basically pay the change of flight fee and the fare differnace)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,105 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Daughter currently in Gatwick. Supposed to leave at 9.30pm with aer lingus. She got a text at 11.30pm to say flight is cancelled and at the desk all flights tomorrow are sold out!! So she now has to try and make her way back to Bromley and our weekend plans are scuppered!

Woohoo. Submitted my claim late on Wednesday night and receivied notification of acceptance of claim by mail at 8:30 this morning, Saturday.
    For a flight leg which cost €36.71 I am getting €250 paid to me within the next 10 days.
    I got my food voucher after exactly 2 hours of delay. I can't complain about how my claim was handled but I did spend 2 hours preparing my complaint and quoting case law.
    I stated the reason cited by staff for the delay; technical difficulties
    I stated the plane was not based at a location subject to strike.
    I quoted the exact delay duration.
    I referenced the appropriate case law.

If there is a next time I will also use recorded arrival times from fr24

My Colleague who had two flights cancelled on a weekend break a few weeks ago with Ryanair still hasn't received confirmation but she didn't quote any case law and wouldn't know what exactly to complain about.

Last time I had a flight delayed/cancelled was Christmas 2011 and Aer Lingus did not advise me of my EU261 rights so I didn't claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

You could be sat on the tarmac in Belfast international waiting for an engineer to look at a tyre

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Woohoo. Submitted my claim late on Wednesday night and receivied notification of acceptance of claim by mail at 8:30 this morning, Saturday.
    For a flight leg which cost €36.71 I am getting €250 paid to me within the next 10 days.
    I got my food voucher after exactly 2 hours of delay. I can't complain about how my claim was handled but I did spend 2 hours preparing my complaint and quoting case law.
    I stated the reason cited by staff for the delay; technical difficulties
    I stated the plane was not based at a location subject to strike.
    I quoted the exact delay duration.
    I referenced the appropriate case law.

My Colleague who had two flights cancelled on a weekend break a few weeks ago with Ryanair still hasn't received confirmation but she didn't quote any case law and wouldn't know what exactly to complain about.

Last time I had a flight delayed/cancelled was Christmas 2011 and Aer Lingus did not advise me of my EU261 rights so I didn't claim.
    Finally a Ryanair good news story.
    Hopefully everyone else who's had their travel plans disrupted will their claims dealt with as efficiently as this. Service like this will go a long way to restoring customer confidence once the dust has finally settled, that and a couple of one million €9.99 seat sales... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭VG31

Bear in mind that the departure/arrival times on FR24 are takeoff/landing times, rather than actual departure and arrival times which are pushback and doors open respectively. You can get these times on the airport's website usually.

You could have a situation where a flight lands with less than three hours delay but the three hours is exceeded by the time it reaches the stand.

I know but good for others to note.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Hi
    Sorry to drag up a month old thread but say our flight is delayed or cancelled and we are entitled to compensation are you allowed claim for refund for money lost on accommodation .
    The reason I ask is my sisters flight was cancelled last month and she lost the money she paid for 3 nights hotel stay.
    She hadn’t got travel insurance.

Advertisement