Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remove weather forum & CV&P&L from post of the day.

Options
  • 27-07-2018 9:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭

In the region of 48 of the last 50 POTD have been from the weather forum or from the cool vids forum.

POTD used to be a good tool to shed light on some interesting topics but now its just populated by weather updates and the occasional meme.

I know after hours was removed from the POTD count a number of years ago as it was mainly one line word answers / quips but we are now in a situation where its only weather updates in the main that were getting POTD.

If people are interested in it (weather) then they will subscribe to the forum, I dont believe they are suddenly going to see a post in POTD and decide weather is a topic for them.

Likewise with CV&P&L. Its not original content (by the poster) so shouldn't be eligible for POTD.

A common criticism of Boards is that alot of the fora are dying. By removing the likes of weather or CV&P&L from the POTD count it will give other forums a chance to have a spotlight on them when something worth reading is posted.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Can't even remember the last time I looked at POTD, for that reason

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Weather and YLYL posts have always dominated POTD. I can’t remember ever finding anything thought-provoking in the slot.

It’s funny though, OP, that you don’t think posts that don’t contain original content should be eligible for POTD, but you were miffed when another poster was posting a comic strip instead of you, despite the comic strip not being your intellectual property. You were claiming ownership over material that wasn’t yours. (and weirdly you got plenty of support)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

_Dara_ wrote: »
    It’s funny though, OP, that you don’t think posts that don’t contain original content should be eligible for POTD, but you were miffed when another poster was posting a comic strip instead of you, despite the comic strip not being your intellectual property. You were claiming ownership over material that wasn’t yours. (and weirdly you got plenty of support)

What has that got to do with my suggestion, even remotely?

Were you just waiting for an opportunity to have a pop at me and are using this as a chance to do it or something?

Baffling that you or anyone could try and link the two tbh.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

OK guys - back on topic please

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I think it's a point that has been raised a few times. I guess though there could be a risk that this simply transfers the "crown" to somewhere like AH

Maybe we need to think about some other metrics to gauge popularity. I know there was (possibly still is) a "thread of the day", but that was chosen randomly. Perhaps that could be resurrected, but restricted to new threads in the past 24 hours, and possibly the one with the highest number of thanks in the OP? I'm sure there will be other ideas if anyone wants to throw them into the mix

Equally I'm talking with no knowledge of the feasibility of introducing such measures without causing disruption to other work the developers are currently prioritising

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

Beasty wrote: »
    I think it's a point that has been raised a few times. I guess though there could be a risk that this simply transfers the "crown" to somewhere like AH

as far as I know, posts in AH are excluded from Post of The Day, I'd nearly be in favour of re-including them, and exclude the 'You Laugh, You Lose', and the Daily forecasts threads, if possible

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

It's something that's probably worth experimenting with. I can suggest it to the guys and see how much work would be required. The threads in Weather, Cool Vids..., and After Hours still feature in the Most Thanked tab, so they won't be completely overlooked and it could be interesting to see what gains prominence as a result (hopefully it'll be somewhat diverse, but I imagine there will be other popular fora ready to step in and fill the void).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

MT Cranium be sending a cloud over all yisser houses

Advertisement