Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due April 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭TrixIrl

Scarepanda, I've mine on the 16th Jan, day after my birthday... killing me that I wont be able to go all out on the cake etc! And at 7.30 AM, horrendous!

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭awny

TrixIrl wrote: »
    Scarepanda, I've mine on the 16th Jan, day after my birthday... killing me that I wont be able to go all out on the cake etc! And at 7.30 AM, horrendous!

Girls is everyone getting the GTT?? I haven’t heard a thing about getting it but I’m meeting my consultant again Wednesday. Is it a standard test that everyone gets??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Yikes Trixlrl! That's a right pain in the ass! Mine is at 9am and my husband is off the first week of January, so logistics of having someone to mind the toddler could be worse!

Awny, it's not standard everywhere. My local hospital doesn't do it, but the one I'm going to does it as standard regardless of risk factors. I remember them saying with my first when I was asking them why they do it for everyone and apparently they reckon a higher number of women get it even if they don't have the risk factors.

Aside from the day it's on, I don't actually mind getting it done. Although this time I have to get a special glucose drink from the chemist and bring it with me. With my first I just had to drink a certain amount of regular lucozade. Trixlrl, do you need to bring the glucose drink with you or is the hospital providing it?

scarepanda wrote: »
    Yikes Trixlrl! That's a right pain in the ass! Mine is at 9am and my husband is off the first week of January, so logistics of having someone to mind the toddler could be worse!

Awny, it's not standard everywhere. My local hospital doesn't do it, but the one I'm going to does it as standard regardless of risk factors. I remember them saying with my first when I was asking them why they do it for everyone and apparently they reckon a higher number of women get it even if they don't have the risk factors.

Aside from the day it's on, I don't actually mind getting it done. Although this time I have to get a special glucose drink from the chemist and bring it with me. With my first I just had to drink a certain amount of regular lucozade. Trixlrl, do you need to bring the glucose drink with you or is the hospital providing it?

Hospital must be providing it as they haven’t mentioned otherwise. Dreading the thoughts of it as smells and tastes are not my friend at the moment so gagging at the idea of it!

Not standard here either Awny, just that my dad developed late onset diabetes in his 70s and anyone in your close family with diabetes triggers a test automatically.

I’m going to take the afternoon off work tho and do something nice to make up for it :) and at least it’s another milestone to check off the list- feel like I’ve been pregnant for at least 2 years at this stage haha

Ugh.... No fun so! Hopefully it doesn't taste too bad. It was in the appointment letter the details about what I need to bring. The drink needs to be off a specific batch and be kept refrigerated. I'm going to see if I can order it in the chemist on Friday. I have an awful dose of baby brain, so I'm terrified I'll forget it. The hospital is 50mins from the house so not ideal if I forget it.

Is this your first baby? With my first I enjoyed everything way more from viability week, which is next week for me! I think my mind set changed coz at least if something went wrong baby had a chance to survive if born. I also looked properly pregnant rather than just fat from around the 6 month mark.

I've started to feel a load more movement the last week/10 days. Baby has also moved over the last day or so I think. I think it's changed from the breech position at the scan to a heads down position. Feeling movement up higher and I think it has its bum wedged up under my ribs today... Bending over is very uncomfortable this evening! It's big sister was head down punching my bladder and kicking me in the ribs for ages and ages..... So possible fun times ahead! I've also been able to feel kicks with my hand the last few days and bubs is doing the exact same as it's big sister and getting shy when daddy puts his hand on my belly! Stops completely!

• Advertisement

Yep first baby - my sister is pregnant too with her first, due Stephens Day but she found out quite late so I feel like were pregnant the same amount of time but shes getting her baby quicker! Im only being impatient cos Im so excited; hoping my new little nephew will satisfy the cravings for a little while!

Totally agree with baby hiding/sleeping hen daddy wants to feel a kick; mad!

We're just finishing off building our house at the mo, looks like well be in for Christmas Eve so Im a bit frustrated that im so limited in bending, lifting, painting etc as normally a very hands on person but bump is deffo making its presence felt!

TrixIrl wrote:
    We're just finishing off building our house at the mo, looks like well be in for Christmas Eve so Im a bit frustrated that im so limited in bending, lifting, painting etc as normally a very hands on person but bump is deffo making its presence felt!

How did ye get on Trixlrl? Did ye get moved in? It's a pain when you feel like your up for doing normal stuff but in reality you need to take it easy. My back and kind of my whole frame has been so achy the last few days, kind of like my bones get very tired. I had awful crampy type back pain with my eldest for 8-10 weeks from the middle of the second trimester, I don't know which is worse tbh.

I was in town this evening and it's the first time this pregnancy that I've noticed people looking at my bump! Haha, silly I know, but it's nice to feel like I've passed through the 'fat' looking stage to the pregnant looking! Bubs has been really active the last day or two. It was having a great old time punching my bladder early this morning and most of today! I'm pretty certain from the change in movement type that bubs has gone into a more head down position. I'm not feeling as many kicks with my hands, and lower down is getting more constant, but slightly softer type movements.

Aprilanon wrote:
    Did you have GD on your first? I'm guessing not if they are only checking you at usual time in this pregnancy. You'll be grand I'm sure. Try to drink plenty of water the day before.

I'm sorry aprilanon, I somehow missed your post!

I got tested for it on my first as my hospital does it as standard, but I thankfully didn't have it. Hopefully this time goes ok again. It's hard being over Xmas as I've such a sweet tooth. I've to start eating normally from tomorrow.... Yikes! I've gotten into a bad habit this pregnancy of sitting down and having a cup of tea and a nice treat when the toddler goes down to sleep. It has me kind of worried about the GD test.

Jez, I didn't know that about the GD supplies. Nice of the government alright!

Hi Girls,

How we all doing? I’m 26+ weeks now, I’m just wishing the time away!!

How are yere bumps progressing? I’m quite slim normally, I’m a size 8. And when I weighed myself last week had put on 12 pounds which I don’t think is too bad?

Anyway, the baby is measuring in the 75% percentile for their weight and my bump has gotten huge in the last ten days or so. All bump, and all to the front. I thought I’d be this size at full term 🙈🙈 feel like I’ll look ridiculous in 12/13 weeks time and I’m afraid I’m going to be really uncomfortable! Anyone else??

How did ye get on Trixlrl? Did ye get moved in? It's a pain when you feel like your up for doing normal stuff but in reality you need to take it easy. My back and kind of my whole frame has been so achy the last few days, kind of like my bones get very tired. I had awful crampy type back pain with my eldest for 8-10 weeks from the middle of the second trimester, I don't know which is worse tbh.

I was in town this evening and it's the first time this pregnancy that I've noticed people looking at my bump! Haha, silly I know, but it's nice to feel like I've passed through the 'fat' looking stage to the pregnant looking! Bubs has been really active the last day or two. It was having a great old time punching my bladder early this morning and most of today! I'm pretty certain from the change in movement type that bubs has gone into a more head down position. I'm not feeling as many kicks with my hands, and lower down is getting more constant, but slightly softer type movements.

Yep got in the night of the 23rd after I had a full on breakdown about how cold it was in the mobile. Took the cat and a duvet and slept on a mattress haha, a week in now and we’re getting there slowly- only half the doors hung and no real stairs but at least it’s warm! The nesting instinct has been really helpful in motivating me to clean/unpack etc :)

Totally know what you mean about the achy cramps bone exhaustion- it’s horrible but I get a couple of hours relief most days.

It’s great looking properly pregnant and not just fat, have been buying the odd pack of nappies or wipes if they’re on offer and had been leaving them prominently on top of basket when I was questionably fat/pregnant haha

• Advertisement

awny wrote: »
    Hi Girls,

How we all doing? I’m 26+ weeks now, I’m just wishing the time away!!

How are yere bumps progressing? I’m quite slim normally, I’m a size 8. And when I weighed myself last week had put on 12 pounds which I don’t think is too bad?

Anyway, the baby is measuring in the 75% percentile for their weight and my bump has gotten huge in the last ten days or so. All bump, and all to the front. I thought I’d be this size at full term 🙈🙈 feel like I’ll look ridiculous in 12/13 weeks time and I’m afraid I’m going to be really uncomfortable! Anyone else??

Hi awny, my sister was due Stephens day (still hanging in there but I think tonight’s the night!) and I hadn’t seen her for a few weeka til Christmas Eve and she passed a remark about how we’re not far off the same bump size. Now probably wishful thinking on her part ha ha but I am all bump these days and can’t even imagine what I’ll be like at full term. Haven’t weighed myself tho- better not knowing I think!

So, today instead of getting my GD test done I ended up in emergency drs last night, referred to a&e and then onto antenatal ward with dehydration after coming down with some bug last night. Thought all I needed was some IV fluids, everything came back clear all day until the midwife was getting ready to discharge me and now I have a temp..... On more fluids, a load of bloods just taken and going to be started on an antibiotic soon and looks like I'm here for the night. Thank **** my husband had holidays booked and is off till Monday so no childcare worries.

So, today instead of getting my GD test done I ended up in emergency drs last night, referred to a&e and then onto antenatal ward with dehydration after coming down with some bug last night. Thought all I needed was some IV fluids, everything came back clear all day until the midwife was getting ready to discharge me and now I have a temp..... On more fluids, a load of bloods just taken and going to be started on an antibiotic soon and looks like I'm here for the night. Thank **** my husband had holidays booked and is off till Monday so no childcare worries.

Hi ScarePanda,

Hope you’re feeling better. Better to be kept in to be on the safe side. x

You poor thing- bad enough being sick without this level of drama! Hopefully between the fluids and hospital grade antibs it’ll flush it right out of you. Hope you feel better soon x

Thanks guys!

I feel absolutely grand now. Felt a little flush earlier on but not high temp territory...I just put it down to the ward being warm. I don't know if someone got a little panicked or what because after the bloods were taken another nurse came in to do swabs! My temp had started to go down before antibiotics were given. I've also had a dose of IV paracetamol. Waiting for the last fluid bag to empty now and hopefully I'll get some sleep. They have the fluids going through some machine and.... Well it's not quite!

Lots of fun and games! But I did have the best little visitor to brighten my evening! My husband brought the little one in for a while!

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭staticdoor71

Had my gd test on Wed
    They phoned today to say I have it 😭😭
    So sickened
    Didn't have it on last two babies
    Dunno what to expect now at the clinic Monday morning. Anyone got any insight?

Had my gd test on Wed
    They phoned today to say I have it 😭😭
    So sickened
    Didn't have it on last two babies
    Dunno what to expect now at the clinic Monday morning. Anyone got any insight?

No personal experience myself staticdoor but my friend has been diagonised with GD. She was told what foods to avoid etc and she takes her bloods a couple of times a day. She has to monitor what foods cause a spike etc. she also goes to a clinic once a week where she brings her blood results for the week gone past and the hosp goes through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Aprilanon

hi Staticdoor71,

Very first thing I'd like to say is that GD is nothing you have done/eaten - its just that baby's hormones are preventing the insulin working to full effect. I blamed myself so much on my first pregnancy for 'getting' GD but this time around I kind of knew I'd have it again and so did a lot of reading up on it etc. Finally realised it's not my fault!

Anyway you prob had your clinic appt this morning so hopefully you got all the info you need. It's a real pain (literally) to have to prick your finger 7 or 8 times every day to check your blood levels. I suggest you try to alternate fingers, one of my fingertips is bruised from using it so often.
    Are you on diet & exercise for now? Probably will be for the first while until you get a few weeks blood readings. You'll be monitored and probably scanned a little more frequently because of it - I like to see this as a perk :) Because I was diagnosed earlier this pregnancy, diet & exercise alone weren't cutting it so I'm on insulin now. It's not so bad, honestly.

The main foods that are a problem for me (but everyone is different) are breakfast cereals/porridge (just a no no for me unfortunately), bananas/grapes/sweet fruits, too much carbs so bread/rice/potatoes/pasta.
    Fruit juice or granola are a big no-no.

Try to include some protein with everything you eat - so good things are cheese, nuts, eggs, meat, chicken, fish.

I find the Fulfil protein bars great for a sweet treat and because they are low in sugar they don't cause a spike for me. Lidl have them on offer this week I think, box of 12 bars for 12 euro, otherwise circle K garages usually have them on offer of 2 for 4 euro. I think Dealz sometimes has them also.

It's a lot of trial and error unfortunately but you will get through it. Having it over Christmas was tough, as having to refuse food when visiting is difficult without having to explain and sometimes I just didn't want to have to explain it. I'm deffo glad a lot of people are on a health kick now!
    The best of luck and feel free to pm me if you have any questions - I was diagnosed at 13 weeks this time around so feel like an old pro at this stage lol.

Yep was in with them this morning
    Just diet for now. Actually exercise wasn't mentioned once

I've to test first thing before eating and an hr after breakfast lunch and dinner

Said not to change my eating habits for the first three days till I see if what I'm eating is actually spiking the sugars

Was changed to a diff consultant too
    And will be scanned on 31/1/19 as opposed to March lol
    I'll be seen every two weeks by diabetic clinic too

It's all the hospital trips that are the biggest pain in the bum for me, but yeah, once baby ok that's all that matters

Was very happy to hear I won't be let go over
    Was induced at 42w on both my kids, so that's defo a positive. Hopefully be born over the Easter hols. Easy the pressure a bit (due easter Sunday)

All good so, you know what you have to do. Do you not have to check your bloods before eating? I do, hence the 7 times a day (fasting, after breakfast, before lunch, after lunch, before dinner, after dinner, before bed - I'm like a pin cushion).

If you were borderline on the glucose test or only very slightly above it then I imagine you'll do grand.

Am v surprised there was no mention of exercise!

The hospital appointments are an incredible chore - I'm in there sitting waiting for 3-4 hours every second week as there are so many GD patients to get through and you've to get bloods done, see the midwife, see the obstetrician and see the endocrinologist each time. Bring a good book that's all I'll say!

• Advertisement

Aprilanon wrote: »
    All good so, you know what you have to do. Do you not have to check your bloods before eating? I do, hence the 7 times a day (fasting, after breakfast, before lunch, after lunch, before dinner, after dinner, before bed - I'm like a pin cushion).

If you were borderline on the glucose test or only very slightly above it then I imagine you'll do grand.

Am v surprised there was no mention of exercise!

The hospital appointments are an incredible chore - I'm in there sitting waiting for 3-4 hours every second week as there are so many GD patients to get through and you've to get bloods done, see the midwife, see the obstetrician and see the endocrinologist each time. Bring a good book that's all I'll say!

I was 4.9 Fasting (under 5 required)

After drink shot to 9.0 (8.4 required)

Second hr after drink only dropped to 8.8

Ahhh, my bloody nose has gone cracked in the last couple of hours ;-(. I don't feel sick, but can smell absolutely everything in minute detail.

I had my first hospital antenatal appointment today (aside from booking appointment). I actually saw the consultant, and had the quickest scan ever! Apparently baby is right on track. I had an emergency section with my first primarily due to her size and although I hope for a VBAC this time, I'm open to a section, but would prefer if it was a scheduled one. The consultant mentioned about going for a VBAC and i explained where I was at and that I was going to go for a scan closer to the time and decide after that. He said they would do that for me, so I have that scan booked already for March. I don't know why, but it suddenly all seems so close as I have a fair idea of all my appointments between now and the middle of March and they will probably be weekly after that.

I also got my GD test appointment rescheduled for next week. Hopefully that's all ok.

How's everyone feeling?

Ahhh, my bloody nose has gone cracked in the last couple of hours ;-(. I don't feel sick, but can smell absolutely everything in minute detail.

I had my first hospital antenatal appointment today (aside from booking appointment). I actually saw the consultant, and had the quickest scan ever! Apparently baby is right on track. I had an emergency section with my first primarily due to her size and although I hope for a VBAC this time, I'm open to a section, but would prefer if it was a scheduled one. The consultant mentioned about going for a VBAC and i explained where I was at and that I was going to go for a scan closer to the time and decide after that. He said they would do that for me, so I have that scan booked already for March. I don't know why, but it suddenly all seems so close as I have a fair idea of all my appointments between now and the middle of March and they will probably be weekly after that.

I also got my GD test appointment rescheduled for next week. Hopefully that's all ok.

How's everyone feeling?

I’m 28+3 today. I feel huge and im exhausted again!!

ScarePanda just in relation to your last pregnancy, can I ask ya how they decided re section!? Just that you mentioned the baby’s size. My baby is measuring in the 75th percentile. I’m normally a size 8 and I’m only about 5’5. My husband is 6+ foot. Im worried that the baby is going to be too big for me?!

Fingers crossed all will be ok with the glucose test xx

Erm, it was an emergency section. Apparently I was having Braxton Hicks for 3 days constantly with painful contractions.... That were not real contractions..... Apparently. My theory is that they were early labour contractions and that my body wasn't able to labour any further coz madams head was too big to go any further. I'm 5ft2, and she was 8lb12oz, in the 75th centile, but her head was over the 90th centile. The midwife at the booking appointment this time reckons that as well as having a big head that she presented awkwardly, can't remember the phrasing, but basically her chin wasn't tucked in as normal.

The midwife that examined me the night she was born called for a section after she felt membranes but no head and the fear was that my waters would go and the cord would come first which would have then meant trouble for both of us. I have the choice this time because I've already had a section. If this is your first awny, unless they deem it medically necessary they won't do an elective section on your first. They did a fetal scan on me 2 days before madam was born so they knew she was going to be big (there was about 20g in scan weight and actual weight at birth) and the consultant wouldn't agree to a section because it was my first baby etc. Small maternal frame and big baby doesn't necessarily mean you won't be able to labour, there's a whole other host of factors that can influence how your baby is born. I'd have a chat with your consultant team and see what they say.

Erm, it was an emergency section. Apparently I was having Braxton Hicks for 3 days constantly with painful contractions.... That were not real contractions..... Apparently. My theory is that they were early labour contractions and that my body wasn't able to labour any further coz madams head was too big to go any further. I'm 5ft2, and she was 8lb12oz, in the 75th centile, but her head was over the 90th centile. The midwife at the booking appointment this time reckons that as well as having a big head that she presented awkwardly, can't remember the phrasing, but basically her chin wasn't tucked in as normal.

The midwife that examined me the night she was born called for a section after she felt membranes but no head and the fear was that my waters would go and the cord would come first which would have then meant trouble for both of us. I have the choice this time because I've already had a section. If this is your first awny, unless they deem it medically necessary they won't do an elective section on your first. They did a fetal scan on me 2 days before madam was born so they knew she was going to be big (there was about 20g in scan weight and actual weight at birth) and the consultant wouldn't agree to a section because it was my first baby etc. Small maternal frame and big baby doesn't necessarily mean you won't be able to labour, there's a whole other host of factors that can influence how your baby is born. I'd have a chat with your consultant team and see what they say.

Thanks so much for your detailed reply ScarePanda. I’m back with my consultant in a fortnight so I’ll know more then.

How are you feeling generally? I’m feeling well thank god just feel enormous! I feel like our time is going to fly in, especially with having more frequent appointments. My sis is due a baby this month. I always felt like I’d loads of time to get organized cause she still hasn’t had her baby but the panic will hit all of a shot once her baby arrives!!

No problem! Ya, have a chat with them. But I wouldn't necessarily worry about it at this stage. At this point with my eldest she was probably on the smaller side, at the anatomy scan we were told we'd be lucky if she made 7lb, but i exploded the last 3/4 weeks before she was born. So you never know how it will go. Your baby may slow down a bit either. And in general the scans are guestimates weight wise.

I'm thankfully feeling great these days, although I got told today by a midwife that my iron levels are low and that I have to start taking iron tablets and to not drink anything else only water from now on (no decafe tea, coffee, milk etc). My iron levels were perfectly normal for me though, they are always on the lower end of normal. I had her a few times with my first, and let's say she wasn't my favourite midwife then either! I pretty much didn't sleep for the first 4/5 months of this pregnancy, but thankfully most night I'm getting a decent sleep so that helps with feeling good, especially now that madam has fully dropped her nap!

Oh stop things will really fly in from now on. I found with my first once the hospital antenatal appointments start that it's really! I got my husband to take down the 0-3mth clothes from the attic at the weekend so planning on sorting and washing them this week. And then start getting the few things for my bag (don't panic, I just like being prepared).
    We got a crib/cot/Moses basket thingy at the weekend as well for bubs. I think that was the last essential thing we needed to get. Just need to make a blanket and a cardigan set for going home and we should be all sorted.

Oh, that will be so nice having them so close in age! How is your sister feeling?

I'm 26+2 (had to check my ap as I've the brain power of a prawn today)

Feeling grand, tired (default setting)
    But starting to get excited. I think I'm embracing it all now cuz I know I'll never be doing this again

I've been keeping on top of my bloods since last Monday and doing well. Back in the hos this Thursday for a nutrition talk, diabeties clinic and normal antenatal clinic. I've to b there at 9am which is proving a pain in the arse since my kids start school at 8.50 and 9am
    Ill have to explain I can't be there at 9 every second Thursday.

Think I've everything I need
    Got bottles last week and treated myself to a new changing bag. But I have everything else from previous pregnancys.

Just need to pack a bag and we're off!!!

hi all,

27 weeks here, and so tired again :( I don't think I ever got the second trimester burst of energy this time around, too much going on with busy toddler!

Have most of you applied for maternity benefit yet? I'm waiting on my employer to send me back the stamped form, wish they would get on with it now as it's just another thing I'd have ticked off my list.

When do you intend to finish up at work? I'm hoping to work through to two weeks before due date, although when 2 nurses/midwives told me at last weeks' clinic that I looked tired & that I need to look after myself....maybe I will have to pull back my expectations a little.

Need to start thinking about the hospital bag shortly, and getting down baby clothes from first baba from the attic. Exciting but nervous also - forget how small the clothes are!!

No maternity leave here as such, stay at home mumma
    So I'll be working up to the 11th hour lol
    I'll be going into hospital to have a baby for a holiday!!!

On my first I finished up four weeks early and was so bloody bored cuz I ended up going two weeks over
    Wasn't working when I had my son either
    Two weeks is defo loads tho

I'm feeling absolutely exhausted the last few days, can't actually shift the tiredness
    Might ask them to check my blood tomz at my appt

• Advertisement

stay at home mumma

Me too!

Advertisement