Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jurassic Werewolf - Isla Nublar

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

This discussion changed since the last time I checked in ha

Riona Mother f@cking Jackson saying that was a lot of fun mods, gg all. Great Game Brendan, might not be team village but we know the real winners Team Taco!

The split of the islands was a lot of fun even though I did not know what to expect being on the same island as seteives Necro & Joe

Ha, there was certainly a PW influence on Taco Island with me, you, beaker and Kolido that's for sure :pac:

Read your backroom and you're right, Detective Desmond would have poured over everyone's posts to help you make a decision for your power, but it worked out well regardless so kudos. :)

Ok so I have a bit of time now so here's my two/five cents on the game as promised:

Loved the split as I said already. As has already been said, doing it on COP would be all kinds of epic as no one would see anything the others said so would lead to much more mistrust between the islands. However, I also understand trialling it on boards for the first attempt as A) it's our home and B) you can gauge things from a first run and only improve them for a next game.

The starter pack: Fcuk me... that was a lot of information. Can tell the amount of effort put into producing it and it was an interesting change.
    One caveat is I will say I dunno if total mystery on village roles is a good thing. Thing is that wolves have a lot more information to start the game and have the benefit of communicating off thread to discuss their powers and what could possibly counter them. Think the island split alone being hidden would have been an amazing mystery item.

That being said, village probably should have won the game so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ - maybe it's a personal preference and not a big issue.

Kudos to Barney, first SK win (BH had first solo win though, but SK is much much tougher). Like Jack, I had you down as priest and hence why I didn't push you at all following the first night. Detective Desmond needs to trust his own judgement more I think.

The BG role was the thing that confused me a little. It wouldn't have made any difference to the game as it happened, but say fixxxer had placeholdered a player prior to lynch who was subsequently lynched - would they be allowed another choice? Obviously, mod rules etc and no complaints just trying to see inside your heads as to how the mechanics on the BG were supposed to work. I will say, not sure why he couldn't placeholder up to 9.59am was very confusing to me, but hey, it's your game, your rules of course.

Liked the arsonist role. Shame sKeith didn't get to play it longer, but it seems very interesting for future games. Played with a variant in an 80 player mash on MU and it was a... shock to the system when the wolf arsonist blew up along with 5 other goodies :pac:

Likewise, the wolf doppelganger - presumably a play on the Robber role? It was cool, think though if I was to include it I'd make the doppler steal from outside the pack, but again not a major thing, and again, tis your game so how it played out was grand.

Molly was upset regarding the wolves. From reading back I think you guys were just unlucky tbh. The EOD pile on Molly and Flushy blocking the conversion that night essentially broke the back of the wolf pack (and then Barney killed your fourth in sully on Taco Island).
    Mick's double peek (a great call, with one conversion that day, he essentially had a confirmed villager in Mary free of being converted or a wolf, sadly it was the latter) also blasted probably the remaining hope the wolves had, Andy was already under heavy suspicion at that time.

Just a mention for poor Steve who was innocent and branded a wolf for the remainder of the game through a miscommunication :pac:

Quick mention for Rikand, I half figured it was you night 0 during our late night conversation, but wasn't sure. Could tell you were very experienced and you made good gut calls throughout the game, so don't beat yourself up about the ending at all. RL happens.

I think that's about all I've got on the game.

Thanks to the mods for the experience, it was certainly an interesting game.

Have set the bar high now... so we'll just have to try and match that for the August game. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Pter wrote: »
    A mistake was made and we made a decision on it. Jesus you sound bitter here for some reason skeith. I don't understand why since the whole thing didn't affect you at all in any way.

And actually I think you will find I didn't praise QB here and in the brs.

Who exactly are you jabbing here with your veiled insult?
    quickbeam wrote: »
    Aw, Keith, thanks for the sentiments. I like to think of myself as honest, and usually I am. But here I made a bad judgement call.

I shouldn't have shared the list with my teammates (I did). I shouldn't have quietly kept the list to myself and subtly steered my teammates to certain kills (I didn't). So maybe at least those two cancel each other out and I come out close to even on the honesty scale here.

I should have quietly told the mods I had the list, let them do a rejig and we all could have gotten on with things, and everyone would be happy. But, hindsight isn't much good after the fact. I hold no grudges to the mods for the decisions they made in regard to my poor judgement call.

See you on the 10th! :)

bitter, me. no way.
    Yous never explained.
    Up until qb's post above, everything i had read was that she showed the mods the list and to rectify the situation, you booted her from the game.
    Its not my fault that that is all the evidence that was left behind for us on thread and in the backrooms.
    qb has filled in the story, and now i understand, but before you judge me and call me bitter, read the thread and backrooms back over again from an outsider looking in and what you left behind and you will see that it looked like an injustice against a game break saviour was done, and i felt qb was wronged. it didn't matter in one bit that it didn't affect me.

veiled insult?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

sKeith wrote: »
    just mod-kill pter, tb or duffman for something that is not their fault and i'll be happy.
    qb, hope to see u on the 10th, thanks for saving the game on N0 and getting no praise, u are an honest player and some recognise that more than others.

Tbh and I'm not one to be easily offended but yeah, this one has pissed me off no end. I spent probably 20 hours working on this game never mind the other 20 hours that went into the game this week. I've modded the last two games and put a lot of effort in and constructive criticism is accepted not snide posts.

A mistake was made, one which QB picked up on. We discussed numerous possible outcomes of how we could fix the game with minimum interruption. Mod kill was the only solution we could come up with, and tbf QB put it the idea out there. We were trying to make a decision on this whilst planning a split in islands.

On QB I've played numerous games with her, we've shared a backroom once or twice and I've never questioned her integrity. I'd never question anyones integrity that plays on boards as we've a genuinely good bunch. If people want to break any game then they can. Qb took one for the team, that could have been acknowledged more and thanks to QB.

bitter, me. no way.
    Yous never explained.
    Up until qb's post above, everything i had read was that she showed the mods the list and to rectify the situation, you booted her from the game.
    Its not my fault that that is all the evidence that was left behind for us on thread and in the backrooms.
    qb has filled in the story, and now i understand, but before you judge me and call me bitter, read the thread and backrooms back over again from an outsider looking in and what you left behind and you will see that it looked like an injustice against a game break saviour was done, and i felt qb was wronged. it didn't matter in one bit that it didn't affect me.

veiled insult?

Maybe if you asked the question of why she was modkilled instead of insinuating we did it for stupid reasons then you wouldn't have got the bitter response. As a mod of two games (yeah I've loads of experience) do you think we wanted to modkill a player. Again QB put her hand up and admitted she couldn't forget the info she'd seen.

So again thanks QB

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

This isn't the first time you have insinuated wrongdoing instead of just asking the question straight up skeith. You did it when Murray played in his new account and you did it after Westworld.

If that's how you want to uncover information that's fine but you can't expect me to like it or expect me not to call it as antagonistic.

• Advertisement

just mod-kill pter, tb or duffman for something that is not their fault and i'll be happy.
    qb, hope to see u on the 10th, thanks for saving the game on N0 and getting no praise, u are an honest player and some recognise that more than others.
    duffman13 wrote: »
    Tbh and I'm not one to be easily offended but yeah, this one has pissed me off no end. I spent probably 20 hours working on this game never mind the other 20 hours that went into the game this week. I've modded the last two games and put a lot of effort in and constructive criticism is accepted not snide posts.

A mistake was made, one which QB picked up on. We discussed numerous possible outcomes of how we could fix the game with minimum interruption. Mod kill was the only solution we could come up with, and tbf QB put it the idea out there. We were trying to make a decision on this whilst planning a split in islands.

On QB I've played numerous games with her, we've shared a backroom once or twice and I've never questioned her integrity. I'd never question anyones integrity that plays on boards as we've a genuinely good bunch. If people want to break any game then they can. Qb took one for the team, that could have been acknowledged more and thanks to QB.

Maybe if you asked the question of why she was modkilled instead of insinuating we did it for stupid reasons then you wouldn't have got the bitter response. As a mod of two games (yeah I've loads of experience) do you think we wanted to modkill a player. Again QB put her hand up and admitted she couldn't forget the info she'd seen.

So again thanks QB

ah come on now...

dont be offended.

i clearly didn't know that cheating or angleshooting was going on.

i took the excuses you guys gave to us at face value.

babs being air lifted off to safety, why not some terrible accident?

only found out about it after this post you are supposedly pissed you off no end over.

i serious doubt stu is going to mod kill one of ye guys for no reason, so relax a little.

sKeith wrote:
    i serious doubt stu is going to mod kill one of ye guys for no reason, so relax a little.

No one is doubting Stu or qb or necro for integrity. You are doubting us for integrity.

You said you would be happy if we were modkilled, presumably as you saw it as just desserts for our decision. Am I wrong? Because that is, as I previously described, bitter.

No one is doubting Stu or qb or necro for integrity. You are doubting us for integrity.

You said you would be happy if we were modkilled, presumably as you saw it as just desserts for our decision. Am I wrong? Because that is, as I previously described, bitter.

being happy that what go around comes around is not bitter.
    believing in karma is not bitter.

did i have all the facts? NO

can i make comments without having all the facts? Damn sure i can!

can i change my opinion when facts come to light? damn sure i can.

Can you?

An admittedly snappy, yet irrelevant, retort. You have presnted no motivation to me that would help me understand the antagonistic comments and why you chose to make a judgement instead of asking more questions, thus I have no other option to assume the accusation and insinuation are not coming from a positive place.

An admittedly snappy, yet irrelevant, retort. You have presnted no motivation to me that would help me understand the antagonistic comments and why you chose to make a judgement instead of asking more questions, thus I have no other option to assume the accusation and insinuation are not coming from a positive place.

are you insinuating that i am a negative person?

• Advertisement

sKeith wrote:
    are you insinuating that i am a negative person?

Nope I'm suggested that those comments didn't come from a positive place. Did they?

I'm done. This is the kind of stuff we previously got feedback on that disencourages away new players. You be you, I'll be me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

ah come on now...

dont be offended.

i clearly didn't know that cheating or angleshooting was going on.

i took the excuses you guys gave to us at face value.

babs being air lifted off to safety, why not some terrible accident?

only found out about it after this post you are supposedly pissed you off no end over.

I'm pissed off over your post not what happened in the game. It happened I've moved on. This is happening, I'll move on. If you have a constructive opinion on the game then make it. You did this later by saying we should have given more info, which we possibly should have after the game. If you wanted the relevant info ask the question rather than making assumptions. You asked for backroom access yesterday, I gave it as I'd nothing to hide. If you had a question you had ample opportunity to ask it.

I look forward to you modding a game. I'm annoyed you would assume the mods would mod kill someone for the craic. It's the very last resort and was treated as such by myself, TB and Pter.

As for Babs being airlifted off the island do you really think we gave a ****e at that stage about the flavour to remove someone from the game. We had too much on to worry about that to be honest.

For Clarity:
    List of players was on the lynch form (We thought was closed) which was ordered by anon names in role order ie all wolves at the top.

Based on this it was possible forcthe wolves to guess the next bunch of players were roled goodies or other roled baddies.

Qb published it in the backroom, it wasn't up long and was immediately removed.

It was game breaking and should have been pointed out to the mods. The decision we made was we couldn't rerand roles because the mystery of the game would be lost. QB suggested mod kill which we all agreed was best option.

Nope I'm suggested that those comments didn't come from a positive place. Did they?

Yes, they came from a positive place. A place of justice and honesty and all things good and fair.

duffman13 wrote: »

I look forward to you modding a game.

The Halloween ARSE game.

Necrominus wrote:
    The starter pack: Fcuk me... that was a lot of information. Can tell the amount of effort put into producing it and it was an interesting change. One caveat is I will say I dunno if total mystery on village roles is a good thing. Thing is that wolves have a lot more information to start the game and have the benefit of communicating off thread to discuss their powers and what could possibly counter them. Think the island split alone being hidden would have been an amazing mystery item.

The pack was mostly stuff i grabbed off the internet. It looks more impressive that it is i think. That's what marketing is all about :D

Useful info from the pack was the hints at the start of it about the other islands, the HR page, which gave away an approximation of RV numbers and the genetics page which hinted that the Dino's were being controlled by handlers. I was saying this to someone, I kind of wanted the pack to be a little bit of extra background if people wanted to dive in, but if people didn't, it was still entirely possible to play the game just form info on thread.

I disagree on total mystery. Wolves had no idea what to be looking out for in terms of hints from RVs and in terms of tasks. It (the mystery) swung both ways imo and was something I really enjoyed from the previous game (easties).

I disagree on total mystery. Wolves had no idea what to be looking out for in terms of hints from RVs and in terms of tasks. It (the mystery) swung both ways imo and was something I really enjoyed from the previous game (easties).

Yeah, it's a subjective thing really. Thing is, wolves knew there were tasks to begin with, villagers like me hadn't a clue :pac:

There's no right or wrong way, I just prefer games where things are laid out and you can see what you're up against from either perspective from the get go.
    Not to say there can't be twists, of course or a few hidden gems.

But it's game mod preference at the end of the day and I'd play regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Necrominus wrote: »
    Yeah, it's a subjective thing really. Thing is, wolves knew there were tasks to begin with, villagers like me hadn't a clue :pac:

There's no right or wrong way, I just prefer games where things are laid out and you can see what you're up against from either perspective from the get go.
    Not to say there can't be twists, of course or a few hidden gems.

But it's game mod preference at the end of the day and I'd play regardless.

I personally love the mystery,

In our Eastenders game we gave you nothing to work with on the OP.

Only those with Roles knew of tasks.

The Westworld game inspired the mystery side of things. I think things worked well on the end up thank god.

Modding a game, esp one with a new concept is so challenging. We didnt get to see how our dirty den mechanic worked out in the end but it was very stressful. I enjoyed the myserty this game

I also reject the idea that the mods don't believe QB is an honest person or player, if that is an accusation being inferred by you, skeith.

i missed this before....

?what?

?where did this come from?

i was under impression qb seen too much and offered herself to be mod killed so the game could go on. mod killed for something that was not her fault.

you have a bad habit of misinterpeting my posts and twisting the meaning, i'm getting a bit peeved at it tbh.

I am suggesting that, as members of this community, we move on. This bickering between us isn't a good look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

beakerjoe wrote:
    Modding a game, esp one with a new concept is so challenging. We didnt get to see how our dirty den mechanic worked out in the end but it was very stressful. I enjoyed the myserty this game

I agree with this from a mod perspective this game was way more hands on than I had anticipated. There were so many moving parts that we almost needed two of us online every munch and lynch to ensure everything happened smoothly

I agree with this from a mod perspective this game was way more hands on than I had anticipated. There were so many moving parts that we almost needed two of us online every munch and lynch to ensure everything happened smoothly

Especially with two lynches and munches on separate islands :pac::pac:

Bloody maniacs :P

Especially with two lynches and munches on separate islands :pac::pac:

Bloody maniacs :P

idea to possibly relieve a bit of stress, maybe think of staggering the different sides of future spilts. End of day being 30 minutes apart. 8:45 and 9:15 possibly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

sKeith wrote:
    idea to possibly relieve a bit of stress, maybe think of staggering the different sides of future spilts. End of day being 30 minutes apart. 8:45 and 9:15 possibly.

Possibly better in a cop game. For this one I was conscious that the ban on talking about the other Island didn't stop people reading the other island so would have been reluctant to have different timings incase players read into it, and when you have no info as a player you're almost desperate for something to read into

Possibly better in a cop game. For this one I was conscious that the ban on talking about the other Island didn't stop people reading the other island so would have been reluctant to have different timings incase players read into it, and when you have no info as a player you're almost desperate for something to read into

understood, and very likely

automatic vote counting and tallying would be handy.

its a project i started, then got bored and dropped, but i might have another go at it, think i'll restart as opposed to resurrect though, as i went down some weird routes first time around.

Auto voting stuff would be AMAZING :eek: (If any admins are reading, I'd like this as my Christmas present please :pac: )

Auto voting stuff would be AMAZING :eek: (If any admins are reading, I'd like this as my Christmas present please :pac: )

mine would be like google forms, but not.

for players.
    you goto link,

who are you, select from list of remaining people.
    passcode, type in code given to you by mods.
    select who you want to vote for.

done.
    will probably have time displayed, cause i can't guarante time in boards will be synced to that machine.

for mods, some initial setup will be necessary, but will be customizable and will be able to show all votes, and count and produce a copy pastable vote results.

thats the best i can offer. nothing boards integratable :(

COP integratable... hmmm.. once step at a time, build it first :)

Fwiw, I want to thank the mods for what turned out to be an excellent game. I've been trying to write a general feedback post, but RL is holding me up from finishing it. In the meantime, amidst some mod scrutiny, I just want to say thanks to Duffman, Pter and TB for a challenging but very rewarding game.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

From my own experiences, modding is tough.

So many moving parts, from balancing to original ideas to making sure everything makes sense, to contingency plans..... then theres the things you forgot to sort and things you didnt ecen forsee. Its a melt as you dont wanna let the players down and you dont wanna rub people the wrong way.

In the last game I was so stressed if someone was to throw a wobbler, my single biggest fear if im honest.

And my games , for most part ran mostly smoothly. I would hate for something to go wrong. Modding is a tough gig, so all mods have my upmost resepct.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

bitter, me. no way.
    Yous never explained.

I did give the full story....
    quickbeam wrote: »
    The lynch form had a list of players which I copied to my spreadsheet. I was a wolf. As other wolves joined me, I noticed that the order of the players I took from the lynch form was in a very specific order starting with us wolves. It wasn't hard to assume that the following players were other roles. Too game-breaky. I also shared it with the other wolves (quickly deleted by mods), but with or without sharing the list, I still had it, so had to go. Sully replaced me.

I wouldn't want anyone thinking I was trying to hide the full truth of my part in the events.

Advertisement