Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Want 5 grand for free??

• 27-07-2018 11:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Tbh, he's not wrong anyway; being transgender is a sideshow to this.

Any hairdresser or barber who refused to cut someone's hair because of their gender, is an idiot. It's a pretty clear breach of the equal status act.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

jacksie66 wrote: »
    If you're a lad just stroll into your local women's hairdressers, ask for a haircut and when they refuse because it's a womens hairdresser, tell them you identify as a woman then sue them for 5 grand. Cha ching!!

http://www.thejournal.ie/transgender-man-compensation-workplace-relations-commission-4149362-Jul2018/

Yeah, you could also donate your brain to science while your still using it..!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Ah a clickbait thread i thought there would be a free 5k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

seamus wrote: »
    Any hairdresser or barber who refused to cut someone's hair because of their gender, is an idiot. It's a pretty clear breach of the equal status act.

Disclosure - I've not read the article. However, hairdressers refuse to carry out requests all the time i.e. If a girl goes in with shoulder hair length and says she wants a crew cut it's possible not all hairdressers will perform it because they are afraid of the unexpected reaction. I don't see the difference here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

They claimed they had a contract with another hairdresser to send women to them, and that the guy / girl only said he/she/they were trans going out the door. I'd say that's perfectly possible. What's the burden of proof for a case like this?

They needed counselling etc. FFS this pussy man needs to man up!!!! Won't last 5 minutes as a man! Up the testosterone !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,485 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Disclosure - I've not read the article. However, hairdressers refuse to carry out requests all the time i.e. If a girl goes in with shoulder hair length and says she wants a crew cut it's possible not all hairdressers will perform it because they are afraid of the unexpected reaction. I don't see the difference here.
    That's refusing to cut a certain style that they don't provide to any customers. Very different to refusing to point blank cut someone's hair because they don't serve their gender.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

I’ve often gotten my haircut in a women’s hairdressers. Nothing strange about it , never been refused

The only reason they would refuse is if they have bookings which is fair enough

That barber shop should not have refused service

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Disclosure - I've not read the article.

The rest of your post is pointless so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,386 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

When I had hair I'd go to the hairdressers next to where I worked.

It's a stupid reason the guy gave him. Because he has an agreement with a Salon and he'll be fined if he serves a woman?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

You're a bit simple aren't you?

• Advertisement

professore wrote: »
    They needed counselling etc. FFS this pussy man needs to man up!!!! Won't last 5 minutes as a man! Up the testosterone !

You do realise that the constant abuse they receive from people like you is the reason they need therapy. You are part of the problem.

TheChizler wrote: »
    Very different to refusing to point blank cut someone's hair because they don't serve their gender.

Then the term barber should be outlawed, and anyone calling themselves a barber should be tarred and feathered.

But, PC trumps all so makes sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

They claimed they had a contract with another hairdresser to send women to them, and that the guy / girl only said he/she/they were trans going out the door. I'd say that's perfectly possible. What's the burden of proof for a case like this?

So if the barber had said "ooohhhhh, sorry, I thought you were a woman, come back so and I'll give you a trim and throw in a free shave for the mixup" it would have been okay?
    Probably thought it was the hairdressers around the corner trying to catch him out, or possibly a joke.

Pelvis wrote: »
    You're a bit simple aren't you?

I've heard of it in the news, if the article is so profound or if you think my argument is wrong then point it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,931 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Good luck finding a womens hairdresser that doesn't also cut mens hair.

Most barbers will cut womens hair if it already in a short style anyway.

Then the term barber should be outlawed, and anyone calling themselves a barber should be tarred and feathered.

But, PC trumps all so makes sense.
    I think your logic is missing a couple of steps there. Barbers is the traditional term for a hairdresser that caters mainly to men but the name doesn't prevent women going.

Grayson wrote: »
    You do realise that the constant abuse they receive from people like you is the reason they need therapy. You are part of the problem.

Who is this "they" you are talking about? Trans men? Straight men have to be able to give and take banter. If you don't want that then stay a woman, who tend to be more polite to each other to their faces at least.

I have no problem with trans people, but if you identify as a man then I'll treat you as a man, and that includes having a thicker skin than a woman.

Nowhere does it say in the article - from the person taking the case - that the barber refused to cut his hair because they were trans. He seems to have been polite throughout.

If he had then that's a different matter.

If it is indeed a law that you have to provide a service regardless of gender, then fair enough. But then all the women's only gyms, men's sheds etc will have to close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,618 ✭✭✭✭siblers

That's refusing to cut a certain style that they don't provide to any customers. Very different to refusing to point blank cut someone's hair because they don't serve their gender.

But he refused because he wasn't trained to cut women's hair and had no prior experience, plus of the issue with the contract they had with the women's hairdressers didnt allow him to cut a woman's hair. Seems like the barber was in a fairly awkward situation and it had nothing to do with the person being transgender

I think your logic is missing a couple of steps there. Barbers is the traditional term for a hairdresser that caters mainly to men but the name doesn't prevent women going.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barber

They are trained to cut men's hair. It's like being an audi certified mechanic and being sued for refusing to service a Ford focus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

Mixed feelings about his one. I agree that the trans issue is a sideshow to it. The issue is discrimination on the grounds of sex.

It's not something that I expect to be a common problem, simply because (a) a barber is probably not trained/experienced to deal with the average woman's hair styles, and (b) a hairdresser dealing with women probably charges more than a "short back 'n' sides" guy would like to spend.

Where it does occur, I think it is a clear breach of the law. Having said that, I would have thought that for many people, when not looking their best (bald patches or greyness or whatever else needs attention), getting their hair seen to is something more relaxing when not around people of the opposite sex. Likely to be more of an issue to older people, who are also affected more by such hair-related issues.

Regardless, the law is the law. Some people have more legal protections for their discomforts than others.

• Advertisement

siblers wrote: »
    But he refused because he wasn't trained to cut women's hair and had no prior experience, plus of the issue with the contract they had with the women's hairdressers didnt allow him to cut a woman's hair. Seems like the barber was in a fairly awkward situation and it had nothing to do with the person being transgender
    But he wasn't asked to cut a traditional women's hairstyle was he? He asked for a short back and sides, you'd think a barber would have plenty of experience with that. Unless youre saying women have difderently shaped heads?

The contract thing seems suspicious IMO but regardless you can't contract away people's lawful rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Pete Moss

It's quite simple to circumvent an incident like this. If you're going for a haircut nowadays, you should have to produce some genitalia ID.
    So, either flash a dick pic or a vag badge to the relevant hair sculptor or be refused entry.

Suckit wrote: »
    So if the barber had said "ooohhhhh, sorry, I thought you were a woman, come back so and I'll give you a trim and throw in a free shave for the mixup" it would have been okay?
    Probably thought it was the hairdressers around the corner trying to catch him out, or possibly a joke.

Yep ...

1. Trans man comes in looking like an emo girl (I saw the pics)
    2. Asks for haircut
    3. Barber says "I'm sorry, we don't cut women's hair. Try XXX down the road"
    4. Trans man runs out screaming profanities about the barber's transphobia
    5. Trans man runs home to mammy and mammy gets worked up about her precious snowflake
    6. Everyone ends up in court, and bemused barber ends up with €5K bill.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

How about a Pubic Hair Cut . Can people refuse to cut the pubes .

It says hairdressers...which doesn’t mean cut alright....Ok dress the pubes !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Is Trans ; Short for Transfer of funds for Mad stuff ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Pete Moss wrote: »
    It's quite simple to circumvent an incident like this. If you're going for a haircut nowadays, you should have to produce some genitalia ID.

Actually that's not a bad idea. We do it for young people when they want to buy alcohol who are actually over 18 but it's hard to tell. Same kind of issue but the ID sorts it.

I think anyone who doesn't agree with this nonsense should go to get their hair cut at this barber as a show of support. The guy is just trying to make an honest living and I bet he doesn't give 2 ****s about trans people one way or the other. Bet that trans guy never did an honest days work in his life. Hint - most men don't dress or look like him !!!!

Yep ...

1. Trans man comes in looking like an emo girl (I saw the pics)
    2. Asks for haircut
    3. Barber says "I'm sorry, we don't cut women's hair. Try XXX down the road"
    4. Trans man runs out screaming profanities about the barber's transphobia
    5. Trans man runs home to mammy and mammy gets worked up about her precious snowflake
    6. Everyone ends up in court, and bemused barber ends up with €5K bill.
    Imagine you make a huge change to your life in an effort to address an issue that's possibly been causing you huge trauma for years, you want people to accept you for what you are but a large portion of society feel they know better and remind you constantly that they refuse to see you for what you know you are, then someone refuses to serve you and accept you in a public way when it would have caused them no hassle and it reminds you of all the struggle you've gone through to this point and that it was all for nothing (or so you might feel), do you think this could be legitimately upsetting?

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

My local gynaecologist refuses to treat me, and I've been barred from the Rotunda outpatients, just cos I'm a bloke. Can I sue so?

• Advertisement

do you think this could be legitimately upsetting?

So, it's legally required now to be responsible for other people's feelings? Right, have the memo.

So, it's legally required now to be responsible for other people's feelings? Right, have the memo.
    No just don't refuse to cut their hair because of their gender.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Imagine you make a huge change to your life in an effort to address an issue that's possibly been causing you huge trauma for years, you want people to accept you for what you are but a large portion of society feel they know better and remind you constantly that they refuse to see you for what you know you are, then someone refuses to serve you and accept you in a public way when it would have caused them no hassle and it reminds you of all the struggle you've gone through to this point and that it was all for nothing (or so you might feel), do you think this could be legitimately upsetting?
    I can see both points and agree with both, are your reasons worth €5k though for what seemed like an honest mistake? Are they fcuk

No just don't refuse to cut their hair because of their gender.

The gender they're not used to or trained to work on.

How is a short back and sides any different on a woman?

Who is this "they" you are talking about? Trans men? Straight men have to be able to give and take banter. If you don't want that then stay a woman, who tend to be more polite to each other to their faces at least.

I have no problem with trans people, but if you identify as a man then I'll treat you as a man, and that includes having a thicker skin than a woman.

Nowhere does it say in the article - from the person taking the case - that the barber refused to cut his hair because they were trans. He seems to have been polite throughout.

If he had then that's a different matter.

If it is indeed a law that you have to provide a service regardless of gender, then fair enough. But then all the women's only gyms, men's sheds etc will have to close.

Straight men have to be able to give and take banter? Are you actually trying to say that if you want to be a man you have to be able to give and receive verbal abuse from strangers?
    You have a really messed up and twisted idea of what being a man is.

• Advertisement

What difference does it make for the the styles they were asked to work with?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Joe prim wrote: »
    My local gynaecologist refuses to treat me, and I've been barred from the Rotunda outpatients, just cos I'm a bloke. Can I sue so?

I dunno, do you have a vagina? I’m pretty sure the person involved in this case had hair.

El Weirdo wrote: »
    How is a short back and sides any different on a woman?

Because there's a greater possibility of the person getting their hair cut not liking what they want.

If a male went into a hairdressers and asked for a perm I'd be pretty sure they'd be refused for a similar reason.

In both cases the barber/hairdresser will be freaked.

And AFTER reading the article, they said they were SHOCKED? Really, that the barber thought they were female. How could he be actually shocked at that? In reality it must at least have crossed their mind that not everyone would automatically consider them male. Ka Ching!

Because there's a greater possibility of the person getting their hair cut not liking what they want.

If a male went into a hairdressers and asked for a perm I'd be pretty sure they'd be refused for a similar reason.

In both cases the barber/hairdresser will be freaked.

What absolute bollocks.

What absolute bollocks.

Not PC perhaps, but not bollox. Ask any hairdresser if there are certain styles they'll refuse to do on someone.

• Advertisement

It's not like they went in there looking like Shirley Temple, in fact the article says the went in there dressed like a male and did everything possible to look male. Id be surprised if they had long feminine hair going in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Someone's never seen old clips of 70s football matches.

Someone's never seen old clips of 70s football matched.

Or porn.

Not PC perhaps, but not bollox. Ask any hairdresser if there are certain styles they'll refuse to do on someone.
    No barber will refuse to cut a short back and sides ffs.

Someone's never seen old clips of 70s football matched.

Yeah, go in to Peter Mark looking for a Kevin Keegan and see how you get on.

Pelvis wrote: »
    No barber will refuse to cut a short back and sides ffs.

On a woman they will. Or have done, €5k will be some incentive going forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Bet that trans guy never did an honest days work in his life. Hint - most men don't dress or look like him !!!!

You sound like you've never done a days work in your life. You come across like a typical dole scrounger.

Yeah, go in to Peter Mark looking for a Kevin Keegan and see how you get on.
    http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/15801946.Meet_the_Southampton_hairdresser_behind_Kevin_Keegan__39_s_famous_perm/
    The bubble perm sported by Saints and England star Kevin Keegan was much imitated by fellow footballers and fans alike.

Now the woman who behind that famous haircut is marking her 40th year in the trade.

Angela Everett, director of famed Southampton hair stylists Trevor Mitchell International, has cut, coloured, trimmed, permed or styled more than 80,000 customers.

Yet she was not to know her styling of Keegan’s hair would be responsible for thousands of men nationwide summoning up the courage to step into salons and subject themselves to the ordeal of curlers and perm lotion.

On a woman they will.

Yes, and that's illegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Or porn.

Saturday night German TV on satellite convinced me to keep my hair shaved for life.

• Advertisement
Advertisement