Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

@ eir reps - FUP and caps

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

461746.png

It's always 48 hours behind regardless of if Eir is having website problems or not. I'm more worried about the fact that your usage is reported in two places. The info is 3/4 days old from the dashboard.

461745.png

As you see here there is a 5GB difference. Normaly the difference is more but I have not been downloading much the past few days.
    This would suggest that the dashboard is even further behind, maybe 4 days behind and http://dslstats.eir.ie(why the hell is it called dsl stats when I have FTTH?) page is 2 days behind.

Which of the two stats will be taken into account at the end of the month? How can the stats be accurate if there are inconsistencies between Eir own logging systems?

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭gerard1970

kenny111 wrote: »
    i tried last week and was told i had to add a mobile to my contract, is this correct?  i am out of contract next week.
    Hi Kenny111. 

I was out of contract and signed a new contract without adding any extra services. See this thread: https://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057910692. Your new contract will be whatever packages they have. I'm FTTH and phone and was put on the eir Fibre 150 MB and the eir Broadband Talk Mobile World which costs €77.98. I've asked to be moved to the eir Fibre 150 MB and the "eir Broadband Talk" plan instead, which is €67.99 per month. 

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ninja 12

It looks like Airwire have removed the cap for their customers .

It's funny how they can automatically remove the cap even though though they use the eir network , while eir themselves seem unable to do the same for their own customers :confused: :mad: 

Maybe the imaginary "Relevant Department " can explain this to us :rolleyes:

Taken from the eir rural FTTH thread over in the broadband forum -
    Calhoun wrote: »
    You remove your cap? and how does that work for existing customers?  Also one of the more comprehensive pricing policies i have seen, looks good.
    Gonzo wrote: »
    just had a look and Airwire's Cap is completely gone on both Siro and OpenEir FTTH!.
    It automatically applies to all customers.
    There will be a few customers on legacy fixed wireless packages, that don't exist anymore, that we will have to contact and see, if they want to change.
    For the majority of our existing customer base it's just an automatic change to the current pricing plan. Disregardless if you're in contract or not.

On all products. Like it was in the past, before we started offering VDSL and FTTH.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Why can they do it automatically and eir cannot?
    I rather not risk having a stroke induced by eirs inept support.

Dcully wrote: »
    It's a bit odd alright :confused: 

Surely it shouldn't be too complicated to just remove the cap from all accounts , also wouldn't it be easier on eir's systems in the long run not to have to monitor the usage of a select group of customers ?

• Advertisement

ninja 12 wrote: »

Surely it shouldn't be too complicated to just remove the cap from all accounts , also wouldn't it be easier on eir's systems in the long run not to have to monitor the usage of a select group of customers ?
    Agreed, but based on other posts here, people who exceed the 1TB FUP - including me - would appear to be a handy little earner for eir, so why would they want to cut off this revenue stream?

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭jaykay2

gerard1970 wrote: »

Agreed, but based on other posts here, people who exceed the 1TB FUP - including me - would appear to be a handy little earner for eir, so why would they want to cut off this revenue stream?
    Exactly what I thought. For the likes of us power users, we will go to the bother of trying to get our cap removed whereas others will just have the direct debit come out every month and not even realize. 

Shady practices to be honest. Remove the cap for all. 

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

They will remove cap for all once the amount of people switching provider outweighs revenue stream for excess cap charges - not until then.

I will have switched provider long before then. Checkout Airwire. No cap and excellent customer service.

jaykay2 wrote: »

Exactly what I thought. For the likes of us power users, we will go to the bother of trying to get our cap removed whereas others will just have the direct debit come out every month and not even realize. 

Shady practices to be honest. Remove the cap for all. 
    Indeed ,

It's a handy little earner alright .

Why should a long time customer spend time checking download stats when new customers aren't restricted in the same way ?

Below , I've attached a screenshot of my usage that I literally just took in the last few minutes .

Today is the 24th , it was last updated on the 22nd , so it's proof that the download stats page is unreliable and not fit for purpose .

September has been a slow month for me , but near the end of last month I was checking the download stats every day trying to avoid going over the limit .

As a long standing customer , it is neither fair or acceptable .

462102.jpg

Maybe an email to Charlie Weston, Conor Pope or even a call to Liveline would be a way to reach out to eir customers who have FTTH and also have the 1TB FUP to get them to check their direct debits to see how much they're being charged. 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,891 ✭✭✭Soarer

Currently waiting exactly 30 minutes for them to answer the phone!

Soarer wrote: »

Just got cut off after 34:45, without anybody answering the phone!

Soarer wrote: »

Stick with it .

I got the cap removed from my account :)

Typing it up at the moment (I'm on my phone)

I initially started this thread on the 27th of July , but now , at last ,  my download cap is no more  :D

I am no longer subject to eir's fair usage policy :)

I did not have to upgrade my bundle , nor did I have to add a service like eir TV or a mobile phone to my contract .

I didn't want to mention it here until it was sorted and confirmed .

Over the last few days I've been in touch with eir customer care and have managed to remove the cap from my account .

Basically I've been told that there is a way of removing the cap for existing customers without upgrading .

What eir were able to do was downgrade my package from eir fibre extreme 300 to eir fibre extreme 150 .

Once that was done I got a confirmation email to say I was now on the 150 package .

24 hours later (yesterday evening ), I was moved back to the eir fibre extreme 300 package (along with a confirmation email ), with the same price as before , with same contract length as before (same terms and conditions as before , just no FUP )

The only difference is that I have no FUP or usage cap applied to my contract .

Apparently , downgrading from one bundle to another for 24 hours and back again is enough to trigger the eir system to remove the cap for existing customers .
    (If you are going to try this , confirm with eir before you commit to any changes on your account - don't blame me if something goes wrong :). )

The eir customer care team members I were talking to said this procedure only came in in the last few days / week .

A phone call to eir customer care confirmed that I am no longer subject to the cap :)

It took several attempts to get through to somebody who could help , the first couple of people wanted me to add a mobile or TV package , but I kept trying until I got through to the right people 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭sierra117x

So currently on the phone to Eir after reading some of the advice here. eventually i got through and thankfully didn't get through to the same tosspot  as earlier. Twice I got through to the same person who after 20/30 minutes of conversation I got nowhere with.

Currently on hold with a chap who literally cut me off in the first 30 seconds to say hes removing it as he read the notes. Told me he cant speak for other reps but doesnt understand why they didnt remove it as they have a policy of waving it for first time offenders. Also looking into removing the data cap for me. It will cost 3.99 extra per month but totally worth it in my eyes. better 40 euro spread out throughout the year than 80 euro each month i go over. not to mention i wont have to be on the line for 2/3 hours again

Great stuff ninja.

From my side of things...

Got through after 29 minutes of waiting, after being cut off after 34 minutes previously!

Got through to a girl in Cork, explained about my bill, about new "truly unlimited broadband", and about "Tracey" here on boards saying we can be switched.

She put me on hold for about 2 minutes while she spoke to the technical department, and when she came back, she said I'd been switched over!

While she was talking, a confirmation email* binged though on the phone. She also left a note on the account stating I was now on truly unlimited, and no FUP applies.

Still going to cancel though. Too much of a coincidence the way things panned out.
    Also gonna cancel my direct debit, and they're gonna wait for their money for a change.

* - The email doesn't look anything different to the one I originally received last December. But it is what it is.

So , 

This is what I see now when I log in and view my usage -

462325.jpg

The allowance used is now blank :D 

I came pretty close to going over the limit last month (just under 950GB) .

At least now I don't have to worry about being penalised .

I still don't understand how or why eir can't remove the cap for all customers automatically .

After all , Airwire can do it even though they use the eir network :rolleyes:

I hope everybody else gets sorted :)

7668444778.png

If you check your post from the 20th you can see allowance used is also black.
    Had you the FUA removed at that date?

tuxy wrote: »
    If you check your post from the 20th you can see allowance used is also black.
    Had you the FUA removed at that date?
    I never noticed that until you posted :pac:  

Looking back at earlier screenshots it looks like that bit was always blank .

By brain isn't working at full speed today (the joys of migraine :mad:  )

The FUA was only removed yesterday/today and I have been assured by the eir team that it has definitely been removed from my account .

I had hoped the was some way that customers could check to be sure.
    Isn't the FUP in your contract? Can Eir customers read their contract somewhere?

• Advertisement

tuxy wrote: »
    I had hoped the was some way that customers could check to be sure.
    Isn't the FUP in your contract? Can Eir customers read their contract somewhere?
    Maybe you can request a  copy ? I'm not sure.

It's been confirmed by two different people in eir that the cap has been removed from my account .

• Registered Users Posts: 24 paul29163

Maybe you can request a  copy ? I'm not sure.

It's been confirmed by two different people in eir that the cap has been removed from my account .

Same here, had it confirmed that cap was removed but cannot see it in "writing", just waiting for next bill. 😰

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Just to mention that I just checked my usage and Product Allowance says unlimited and Allowance Used is blank. But I didn't contact eir?? Maybe they are now moving existing customers over??

Doodah7 wrote: »
    Just to mention that I just checked my usage and Product Allowance says unlimited and Allowance Used is blank. But I didn't contact eir?? Maybe they are now moving existing customers over??
    That's the way it has always been. Everywhere you look it will say unlimited or leave a blank but there is a FUA hidden away in a contract you never get to see. 

Doodah7 wrote: »
    When did you sign up to eir fibre ?

If it was before July you have a FUP and cap applied to your contract .

If you only signed up during / after July you should have no cap (depending on the date ).

The usage checker always said "unlimited" but the fine print said "FUP of 1TB "

That was the whole reason I started this thread , new customers had no restriction but older customers did :)

35 mins to get to talk to someone in customer care, i get through and they tell me they cannot remove the download cap,, FFS im trying to get this sorted for weeks.
    I ask to speak to someone who can actually help me and im now sitting on hold ----

35 mins to get to talk to someone in customer care, i get through and they tell me they cannot remove the download cap,, FFS im trying to get this sorted for weeks.
    I ask to speak to someone who can actually help me and im now sitting on hold ----
    I got it done straight away yesterday (after a 50+ minute wait for an answer!).

Mention Tracey here on Boards.

They are telling me they have to change me to another package then back again ? similar to ninja,, this the norm now?
    Im still talking to customer care, im terrible at multitasking.

Got an email confirmation of a change to service a few mins ago, im hoping this is standard now and ill get a new email confirming change back and totally unlimited,, seems a weird way to activate totally unlimited.

They are telling me they have to change me to another package then back again ? similar to ninja,, this the norm now?
    Im still talking to customer care, im terrible at multitasking.

Got an email confirmation of a change to service a few mins ago, im hoping this is standard now and ill get a new email confirming change back and totally unlimited,, seems a weird way to activate totally unlimited.
    Yeah , I was dropped down to the Fibre Extreme 150 package for 24 hours .

I then got put back on my original Fibre Extreme 300 package with the same term and conditions as before , but the temporary change of bundle is enough for the system to trigger removal of the cap/FUP .

A bit of a roundabout way of doing things (especially as Airwire have automatically removed the cap for all of their customers ) , but if it works it's worth it :)

• Advertisement

Cheers ninja,the girl i spoke to knew nothing, went away after i got a bit skorpy and came back full of knowledge 10 mins later.
    Hope this works now.

Advertisement