Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

72 hour cold ferment dough - did I mess up already?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Im no expert baker Ronnie but my understanding is if you are using the cold ferment (aka no knead) technique over 3-5 days in the fridge then you dont need to use as much yeast as the regular kneading technique. With the cold ferment Ive used just over a teaspoon of yeast for 500g flour and it has worked fine for me. So I would go 2 x teaspoons if I was using 1kg flour.

Also on the 72 hour ferment technique there is actually no need to knead the dough in a stand mixer at all. As rubadub linked earlier in the thread the no-knead technique often associated with Jim Lahey. I have his book Artisan Bread and its very good. When I do a 72 hour or longer ferment in the fridge I follow Jim Laheys technique using a Neapolitan pizza dough recipie which is just a matter of flour, salt, water and yeast in a mixing bowl then mix with a dough whisk until it all comes together (perhaps 90 seconds of mixing) and after that it is wrapped in cling film (or an air proof lid) and put it into the fridge for 3+ days.

For me the 72 hour ferment has two major advantages- one the flavour is better and two it is not necessary to hurt your arms kneading for 15 minutes! The downside is that you have to plan ahead at least 3 days in advance. They actually say pizza dough is at its peak flavour at the 4-5 day point, I read that a lot on the https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php forums where posters have said 4-5 day old dough is what the big commercial pizza delivery outfits use. Lots of good knowledge and recipies on that site too, from clones of Dominoes pizza to DIY building your own pizza oven, its a great resource.

Advertisement