Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Free Public Transport for the Popes gig in the Phoenix park next month!!!

• 27-07-2018 12:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭

Apparently us taxpayers are going to be subsidising free transport for the Popes gig in the Phoenix Park. This is ridiculous. I understand the argument that they don't want people driving there but surely that sets a precedent for every major event that happens in the Phoenix Park or elsewhere. At this stage Church and State in this country should be separated totally. If the Catholic Church want their faithful to get free transport they should bear the cost not taxpayers some of whom like me do not want a cent of our money which should be spent on education or housing to go to an organisation that betrayed the very people it was supposed to be protecting in the past.

http://www.thejournal.ie/pope-francis-visit-public-transport-4148592-Jul2018/

If the Church wants it's big day out then it should be prepared to cover all the costs associated with it themselves.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

The cost of organised free public transport vs private car traffic chaos.

I know which I’d prefer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Any link?

It probably just looks like it’s free cos the majority going will be using their oap bus pass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I'm not going to loose any sleep over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

kylith wrote: »
    Any link?

It probably just looks like it’s free cos the majority going will be using their oap bus pass

This.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Any link?

https://www.rte.ie/news/the-pope-in-ireland/2018/0726/981194-phoenix-park/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

gandalf wrote: »
    Apparently us taxpayers are going to be subsidising free transport for the Popes gig in the Phoenix Park. This is ridiculous. I understand the argument that they don't want people driving there but surely that sets a precedent for every major event that happens in the Phoenix Park or elsewhere. At this stage Church and State in this country should be separated totally. If the Catholic Church want their faithful to get free transport they should bear the cost not taxpayers some of whom like me do not want a cent of our money which should be spent on education or housing to go to an organisation that betrayed the very people it was supposed to be protecting in the past.

http://www.thejournal.ie/pope-francis-visit-public-transport-4148592-Jul2018/

If the Church wants it's big day out then it should be prepared to cover all the costs associated with it themselves.

cupan tae?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Why do they have to close the entire park for the whole weekend? That's what really gets my goat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

I know which I’d prefer.

TBH I don't see this stopping people using their cars, I'd predict chaos anyway. The estates in Castleknock will be overrun with Micra's, Notes & other such coffin dodger carriers!

The organisers should have set up provision for car parking a distance from Phoenix Park with private shuttle buses from those car parks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Allinall

Delighted with this announcement myself.

The outrage around here was getting stale.

Needed freshening up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Cool. I have 4 tickets that just became free travel passes for the day.

Any suggestions of where to go?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Taytoland

No pope here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

None here either.

South Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Any link?

You know what, that's probably right on the money. Rather than there being chaos as people fumble through bags to find and show bus passes, just flash your ticket and on you get.

I'd say if you're stingy enough all you have to do is print up a bad copy of a ticket and get free travel for the day; bus drivers aren't going to be checking the tickets are real.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

endacl wrote: »
    Cool. I have 4 tickets that just became free travel passes for the day.

Any suggestions of where to go?

Im the same ordered 16, 4 for me, 4 for the woman, 4 for the dad and 4 for the mam,

Thats 16 free bus passes, might go do something in Dublin for the day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Makes perfect sense. 500,000 people decending on the city. Traffic madness. Ill be staying home that day and weather permitting BBQ.

Far better to encourage people to use this free service than clog up every car park, roadway, alleyway, footpath, housing estate, etc.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Not going but do not have a problem with it, it's a public safety issue. Its 500,00 going has any gig in Ireland every had 500,00 going to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

TBH I don't see this stopping people using their cars, I'd predict chaos anyway. The estates in Castleknock will be overrun with Micra's, Notes & other such coffin dodger carriers!

The organisers should have set up provision for car parking a distance from Phoenix Park with private shuttle buses from those car parks.

The thought the organisers had arranged that.

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

P_1 wrote: »
    Why do they have to close the entire park for the whole weekend? That's what really gets my goat

Is there a particular part of the Park you intended visiting for any reason?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

If its a nice sunny day I wonder could you use your Popes ticket for a free trip out to Greystones or Howth on the Dart, even at the time the Mass is on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Edgware wrote: »

Furry Glen

• Advertisement

Its actually quite a nice place to go for a jog or a cycle. Not everyone is interested in the leader of this cult visiting. Why do we have to lose the green lung of our city for his propaganda piece?

Its actually quite a nice place to go for a jog or a cycle. Not everyone is interested in the leader of this cult visiting. Why do we have to lose the green lung of our city for his propaganda piece?

Edgy.

The estates in Castleknock will be overrun with Micra's, Notes & other such coffin dodger carriers!

Omg, those poor people. Will someone please think of the Castleknockers- Nissans running riot all over their nice Mercs and Beemers :eek:

The hundreds of thousands going will give you the answer. Are we to stop the use of public parks for concerts, athletic events etc?

Omackeral wrote: »
    Furry Glen

Be careful of the wild deer.

Edgy.

Shut up with that bollix.

The mass is going to occupy one field for a few days. How big is the park? Absolutely no justification in closing it for a weekend

The hundreds of thousands going will give you the answer. Are we to stop the use of public parks for concerts, athletic events etc?

Concerts and athletic events take place in the park all the time without it having to be closed. Why is this any different?

The mass is going to occupy one field for a few days. How big is the park? Absolutely no justification in closing it for a weekend

Bollix eh? Someone's bit touchy.

Perfectly reasonable to close the park to accommodate 500000 people and security reasons to prevent some loonie from trying to off the Pope. We've closed huge parts of the park before for concerts to accommodate people and safety concerns. Its 48 hours, it wont ruin your life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Chaos Tourist

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

I know which I’d prefer.

You'll be attending surely Father, are you excited? Would you be looking for an autograph if you manage to get up close? You might be able to find a back stage pass yet.

Be careful now, remember that unfortunate incident on the Sealink ferry?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Sitric

Wouldn't it be cool if public transport was free for all (or residents) anyway, all the time?

Concerts and athletic events take place in the park all the time without it having to be closed. Why is this any different?

It might have something to do with the 500000 expected to attend.

Bollix eh? Someone's bit touchy.

Perfectly reasonable to close the park to accommodate 500000 people and security reasons to prevent some loonie from trying to off the Pope. We've closed huge parts of the park before for concerts to accommodate people and safety concerns. Its 48 hours, it wont ruin your life.

Yes huge parts but not the whole bloody thing. It's bad enough we have to pay for this. Is it too much to ask for those who have no interest in it not to have our days disrupted as part of the mix?

Yes huge parts but not the whole bloody thing. It's bad enough we have to pay for this. Is it too much to ask for those who have no interest in it not to have our days disrupted as part of the mix?

You're day is going to be disrupted no matter what. Just like when Obama visited. There will be restrictions and checkpoints. You're dealing with 500000 people there is a huge setup involved that would require the park to close and deal with the organisation of it

You're day is going to be disrupted no matter what. Just like when Obama visited. There will be restrictions and checkpoints. You're dealing with 500000 people there is a huge setup involved that would require the park to close and deal with the organisation of it

Which is fine the day of it. Quite why it had to close the days before it is what I take issue with. That has never happened before.

Another example is the rock n roll half marathon. That takes place 2 weeks before this poxy visit. They were told they cant use the park this year because of it. Its 2 bloody weeks away why are we not being allowed use our amenities because an Argentine scholar is going to say a few words on a stage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

sugarman wrote: »
    You do know this is standard practice in most countries whenever theres a large event on?

Ive been to Sweden, Denmark, Norway, France, Germany, Poland, Austria, Netherlands to name but a few for football matches.. all free public transport before and after matches with a match ticket.
    And if free transport was ever laid on for people going to a gig or match you might have a point.

• Advertisement

Which is fine the day of it. Quite why it had to close the days before it is what I take issue with. That has never happened before.

Another example is the rock n roll half marathon. That takes place 2 weeks before this poxy visit. They were told they cant use the park this year because of it. Its 2 bloody weeks away why are we not being allowed use our amenities because an Argentine scholar is going to say a few words on a stage?
    This Argentine scholar happens to be the leader of an organisation that claims to have over a billion followers. You're constant attempts to belittle the whole thing is clear. We get it. You have a strong hatred for the Catholic church. Grand. Your choice. But this event is for over 5000000 of his followers. Its a once in a generation event. And because of the nature of the visit it requires a huge amount of preparation.

This Argentine scholar happens to be the leader of an organisation that claims to have over a billion followers. You're constant attempts to belittle the whole thing is clear. We get it. You have a strong hatred for the Catholic church. Grand. Your choice. But this event is for over 5000000 of his followers. Its a once in a generation event. And because of the nature of the visit it requires a huge amount of preparation.

Yes in the area of the park where it is taking place. Quite why they need the whole thing for that is beyond me

Yes in the area of the park where it is taking place. Quite why they need the whole thing for that is beyond me

Id be interested in seeing a map of the layout plan. Perhaps then the reason for the whole park would make sense. It could be medical centre, and ambulance depots to get people out if ill, etc. Sure if it was put out on a map it would make sense.

I just hope they provide plenty if bins, i do not want to see the place destroyed by litter

Id be interested in seeing a map of the layout plan. Perhaps then the reason for the whole park would make sense. It could be medical centre, and ambulance depots to get people out if ill, etc. Sure if it was put out on a map it would make sense.

I just hope they provide plenty if bins, i do not want to see the place destroyed by litter

Yeah a site map would be good to see. Now if they were closing it to prevent protest that would be another matter entirely.

I'd like to think bins will be provided but I highly doubt they will. Even if they are I doubt they'd be used

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Chaos Tourist

Yeah a site map would be good to see. Now if they were closing it to prevent protest that would be another matter entirely.

I'd like to think bins will be provided but I highly doubt they will. Even if they are I doubt they'd be used

All those plastic cups left on the ground and the booze sold there will be a rip off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I hope they provide plenty of nearby portaloos, I don't fancy trying to wade through whole crowds just to take a leak :pac:

The free public transport is handy, although I have my travel and accommodation plans made and paid for already, but still though, for those who can't afford to travel at least this is one less thing they'll have to worry about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Erm Murray , I know things are getting a bit heated but maybe check your figure there .
    Anyhow , I'm all for the visit , I'll be selling hang sammichs and tae in the Chapelizod village on the big day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Calm down there Emmet.

I'm sure you'll survive without it for one weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

It's ironic that religious people who go to see the pope to hear about love thy neighbour, live a good life etc would not be able to put that into immediiate practice by bringing their own rubbish home with them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Taytoland

The pope really has to deliver on this visit and draw in the people, he needs to give the mass of his life after the recent shambles for Catholicism on pedophile priests and the abortion mess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,090 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Most of the suburb of Salthill wad closed for Ed Sheerin. You lads are only loosing a park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Shocking that people would hate an organisation that has laundered money for the mafia, protected child rapists and war criminals, and has built up incredible wealth based on utter nonsense by brainwashing people.

I LOVE organisations like that.

Advertisement