Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glucose challenge screening test

Options
  • 27-07-2018 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭

Hi,

My wife is attending the GP on Monday for her 24 week appointment. I am wondering when the glucose challenge screening test usually happens in Ireland ?

Can the GP do it or is it usually the consultant in the hospital ?

I'm a newbie to all this so thanks for any info !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

grahamor wrote: »
    Hi,

My wife is attending the GP on Monday for her 24 week appointment. I am wondering when the glucose challenge screening test usually happens in Ireland ?

Can the GP do it or is it usually the consultant in the hospital ?

I'm a newbie to all this so thanks for any info !

Depends on the hospital. Some only do it if she fits certain criteria (close family with diabetes, weight, large first baby etc). done in hospital around 28 weeks for me (the Coombe in Dublin)

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭grahamor

Thanks for the info, we are in the Rotunda.

I will call them before our 28 week visit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

grahamor wrote: »
    Thanks for the info, we are in the Rotunda.

I will call them before our 28 week visit.

I'd be very surprised if she is getting it and doesn't know. Mine was booked for me at my initial appointment at 12 weeks and I was reminded about it by the hospital at my 20 week appointment

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

I haven't had one on either pregnancy. I don't meet any of the criteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Holles Street for example do the glucose challenge and not the test. Which means you don’t have to fast, it’s a drink and one blood draw an hour later. If you fail that then they do the test which is a longer process. It means they can decide on the morning of your appointment. So if the rotunda were similar she may well not know in advance. I did the challenge on my second pregnancy because my first daughter was born 9lbs9 so they wanted to check, it was just decided at my 28 week appointment. I didn’t have it.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Rotunda don't do the challenge, it's the full thing for everyone. I was told I needed it at my 12 week appointment but I had risk factors so I knew I would have to get it. Basically if she doesn't have the risk factors, they won't test unless they detect glucose in her urine samples AFAIK. I think they do it at 28 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Jillapino

I'm with holles street and never got it, I'm 35 weeks now so don't think I'll be getting it! I'm 26, so not too old and first baby and quite small and haven't much history in my family

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Crunchymomma

They don't always test for it.

I had no risk factors on my first so wasn't tested, same on second and then had scan at 32 weeks, fluid was a little high, the person scanning me asked if I was finding the diabetes difficult. I asked "what diabetes?" she apologised for presuming and just said that she would advise being tested, doctor disagreed with her and wouldn't book it.

I rang myself the next day and booked myself in, lo and behold I did have gd and a dr I met in the gd clinic said from looking at my notes and the size of my first baby he would think I had it on my first baby too!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I too only had it when fluid levels were a little high. I didn't have it on my first pregnancy.

Advertisement