Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de France 2018, July 27, Stage 19: Lourdes > Laruns

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Zakarin descending is like a horror movie....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭py

Come on Dan!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

So between Dan, Geraint & Roglic for the stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Sal Butamol

itv licking Froomes bumhole

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

this is brilliant from Roglic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Roglic deserves the win

Still think Thomas might jump off this group to try grab Rogolic.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Froome finally riding for Thomas, even Hinault gave up on the Alpe

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Borderfox wrote: »
    Froome finally riding for Thomas, even Hinault gave up on the Alpe
    Froome riding to protect his 3rd place

Gee Whizz....

Ugh

• Advertisement

he said it again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Quintana is going to finish about 6 minutes down so Dan will move up to 8th.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

23 seconds for Roglic including the bonus differential, that puts its per below:

EnRHbxx.png

Froome could still finish 2nd, although I'd think 4th is most likely. Can't see Geriant shipping 2mins5secs to Dumoulin barring a crash. Hard to see Roglic putting in a better TT than Dumoulin as well.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Delighted Froome didn't find a magical something there and barring all incident Thomas has this. I like Thomas as a rider, and glad to see him fulfilling his potential.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Sprinter Sacre

nee wrote: »
    Delighted Froome didn't find a magical something there and barring all incident Thomas has this. I like Thomas as a rider, and glad to see him fulfilling his potential.

Never had potential as a climber/GC rider until a few years ago. Mildly better result than seeing Froome win but it is still absolutely shocking. I guess it was nice to see leading the sprint and going back to his roots.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Never had potential as a climber/GC rider until a few years ago. Mildly better result than seeing Froome win but it is still absolutely shocking. I guess it was nice to see leading the sprint and going back to his roots.

Except that's not true. Thomas has shown potential as a rider from his youth days, all the way through his development he has been a stand out performer. He has had a steady development, and lost weight a few years ago to become a GC performer. He has only ridden as a dom thus far pretty much.
    One of the Yates twins started out on track, track is where the majority of UK cycling talent cut their teeth now (not all, but most). Most of the most talented juniors and youths about go into their track programme first. It's no surprise to see a graduate like Thomas get to where he is now. I'm not saying he's perfect, but anyone questioning his pedigree wants to look at his development as a rider and the GB system. It's really no surprise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Sprinter Sacre

Except that's not true. Thomas has shown potential as a rider from his youth days, all the way through his development he has been a stand out performer. He has had a steady development, and lost weight a few years ago to become a GC performer. He has only ridden as a dom thus far pretty much.
    One of the Yates twins started out on track, track is where the majority of UK cycling talent cut their teeth now (not all, but most). Most of the most talented juniors and youths about go into their track programme first. It's no surprise to see a graduate like Thomas get to where he is now. I'm not saying he's perfect, but anyone questioning his pedigree wants to look at his development as a rider and the GB system. It's really no surprise.

Meh a classics rider a few years ago to super dom to winning a Tour, it stinks tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Truth is probably somewhere in the middle of those two. He's always been talented but gobbling up the opposition like he did at this tour is a big step up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Thomas has shown potential as a rider from his youth days, all the way through his development he has been a stand out performer. He has had a steady development, and lost weight a few years ago to become a GC performer
    In fairness the 'just lost the weight' line has been shown to be a bit of a nonsense. Remove Thomas' name and substitute one of Armstrong, Wiggins etc. and the same holds true.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Meh a classics rider a few years ago to super dom to winning a Tour, it stinks tbh.

Who said that he was an out and out classics rider?

• Advertisement

Sagan is in within time limit

• Registered Users Posts: 45 rappid

Roglic rulez!
    Bloody Froome is out of the podium. Almost.
    One stage to go! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Did he make the cut ???

yep

• Registered Users Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Truth is probably somewhere in the middle of those two. He's always been talented but gobbling up the opposition like he did at this tour is a big step up.

Tbf to him, as others said he has shown pedigree throughout his career, and is unlikely to win 4 in a row or anything. He seems more 'human' than froome, even with the sky stink around him.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭equivariant

I don't see anything wrong with Thomas winning. It certainly doesn't "stink". This was a good parcours for a rider like him and if he wins it will be because of his all round ability. He certainly hasn't smashed his rivals in the mountains. Instead he has been strong in the mountains but not spectacular and will win based on being able to ride the roubaix stage, the team TT, the ITT and having the strongest team in the mountains. Pretty much exactly how someone of his build would expect to win the Tour.

Is no-one except a 55kg goat allowed to win the tour?

The cynic in me wonders why Froome is in such poor form... Is it genuine or is it an attempt to deflect attention

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭mistermatthew

You have no idea. You're just bashing the man because he rides for team sky.

Thomas is a classy rider. He lost some weight to climb better. Generally this is more successful than being a 55kg rider in grand tours or pure climber.

There is nothing unusual imo

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

It does, if you ignore his steady progression from track to road to classics to lesser week long races to more prestigious week long stage races to super domestique and then this year having protected status/ riding for himself...

I mean it's not like he was up there with Dan Martin on climbs in the junior tour of Wales....

• Advertisement

mloc123 wrote: »
    The cynic in me wonders why Froome is in such poor form... Is it genuine or is it an attempt to deflect attention

4th in a GT is hardly poor form, not in top form but id hardly call it poor form.

Advertisement