Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extending Network Advice

Options
  • 27-07-2018 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys, Im just looking for some advice on extending a network in a house and shed. I have my router in one point of the house and wired ethernet ports in the opposite side of house and in the shed. I have tried using tp link av500 however i havent found them to be great and im having to reset their signal quite often. Is there anything you would recommend to get to either a potentially connect to a ethernet port and act as a wireless extender that way or any other recommendations?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Fol20 wrote: »
    Hi Guys, Im just looking for some advice on extending a network in a house and shed. I have my router in one point of the house and wired ethernet ports in the opposite side of house and in the shed. I have tried using tp link av500 however i havent found them to be great and im having to reset their signal quite often. Is there anything you would recommend to get to either a potentially connect to a ethernet port and act as a wireless extender that way or any other recommendations?

You have Ethernet port(s) in the shed and they have internet access? Is that correct? You are just looking for a device to provide WiFi in the shed?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

You have Ethernet port(s) in the shed and they have internet access? Is that correct? You are just looking for a device to provide WiFi in the shed?

I have live data points in the 2 rooms I want to use it in and am looking to ideally connect something that can both connect to the port to extend the WiFi and if possible double up as a WiFi extender if I ever decided to sell this house in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,701 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

If I was you, I'd use wireless access points, connected via ethernet to a router and (depends on ethernet lauout) ethernet switch(es).

I have live data points in the 2 rooms I want to use it in and am looking to ideally connect something that can both connect to the port to extend the WiFi and if possible double up as a WiFi extender if I ever decided to sell this house in the future.

Have you any unused routers from previous ISPs? Using an old router as an access point is a free way of doing what you want. If you don't have a router and if it were me I'd probably buy a second hand router on averts or ebay for small money and use it. Just Google "use router as access point".

I dont have any spare routers and am opening to buying something. I have read that using routers can be a little convoluted and am open to doing if its required but just want to see what my options are.

• Advertisement

joujoujou wrote: »
    If I was you, I'd use wireless access points, connected via ethernet to a router and (depends on ethernet lauout) ethernet switch(es).

What is the different between wireless access points and the TP link setup i already have?

What is the different between wireless access points and the TP link setup i already have?

You say you have TpLink AV500. They are powerline adapters. Basically the signal is sent across the electrical cabling. It is madness to be using them when you have dedicated Ethernet cabling in place. Electrical cabling was not designed to carry data and using such devices is a fudge.

What you are looking for is a wireless access point and Ethernet switch. A router supplied by an ISP is a wireless access point and Ethernet switch in one box. That's why I suggested using one.

Thats exactly why i want to change my setup, i only recently got the points installed and thats why i have been using the av500 up until now. What device would you recommend on amazon?

Would 2 of these(1 in each point do the job?)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TL-WA901ND-Wireless-Access-Point/dp/B004UBU8IE/ref=sr_1_4?rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1532701587&sr=8-4&keywords=wireless%2Baccess%2Bpoint&refinements=p_76%3A419159031&th=1

There is quicker speeds however i dont know if i need the extra speed.

Are thy easy to setup or are they basically plug in and play?

Thats exactly why i want to change my setup, i only recently got the points installed and thats why i have been using the av500 up until now. What device would you recommend on amazon?

Would 2 of these(1 in each point do the job?)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TL-WA901ND-Wireless-Access-Point/dp/B004UBU8IE/ref=sr_1_4?rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1532701587&sr=8-4&keywords=wireless%2Baccess%2Bpoint&refinements=p_76%3A419159031&th=1

There is quicker speeds however i dont know if i need the extra speed.

Are thy easy to setup or are they basically plug in and play?

Yes that device would work but you said you wanted to keep using the Ethernet port in the future. That device only has one Ethernet port so you would need to add an Ethernet switch in between the wall port and access point if you require wired Ethernet.

Also be aware that depending on the size of you home adding two access point could be overkill and actually cause more issues than it dolves. Would it be possible to just add one in either your home or shed to give you better wireless coverage?

I've never used that device you linked to on Amazon so can't say how easy it would be to set up. Do you have an understanding of IP addressing and subnets, wireless channels and interference? If not it may be better to get someone who does to install them for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

There must be someone in your locality with spare used routers they could give you.
    Heck I reckon I have about six here including one I never used.
    Am I the only hoarder on boards?

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,140 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Am I the only hoarder on boards?

:D
    If only you would see my shed.......

Back to topic: navi describing good possible solution for your needs

If not familiar "how to" let me know - i don't mind to provide step-by-step instruction if you supply current main router and second router models.
    Practically any second-hand router would do - different is only setting interface in most cases

would the 300 m or 450m be better for a wireless access point?

would the 300 m or 450m be better for a wireless access point?
    This number defines theoretical link speed between computer and AP, it does not affect your internet speed. Or at least not that you notice difference.
    There are other factors that affects your whole network(ISP, main router, cabling, PC/laptop/phone, interference from environment, etc., etc.)
    Your linked device has 10/100 Mbps incoming interface only, so you wont have spare Ethernet ports. As per specs

456846.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭n!ghtmancometh

You say you have TpLink AV500. They are powerline adapters. Basically the signal is sent across the electrical cabling. It is madness to be using them when you have dedicated Ethernet cabling in place. Electrical cabling was not designed to carry data and using such devices is a fudge.

What you are looking for is a wireless access point and Ethernet switch. A router supplied by an ISP is a wireless access point and Ethernet switch in one box. That's why I suggested using one.

I have that access point and it does the job perfectly. Actually get far better WiFi speed with it compared to the main router WiFi.

I have cat 5 cable from main router downstairs connected to a 5 port switch up in the attic roon and have the access point connected to the switch. Then have my PS4, now TV box and fire TV connected by ethernet to the switch as well. Never had any issues and easy to set up.

Navi, You mentioned that getting 2 might cause more problems than it solved. the distance between these ports would be about 20ft away with one external cavity wall separating them. I dont know if that distance would be enough for the wifi to get to the shed if i only got 1 of them. What type of issues would it cause?

Navi, You mentioned that getting 2 might cause more problems than it solved. the distance between these ports would be about 20ft away with one external cavity wall separating them. I dont know if that distance would be enough for the wifi to get to the shed if i only got 1 of them. What type of issues would it cause?

Basically you could be susceptible to WiFi interference. If you are in an urban area the issue is going to be compounded by neighbouring WiFi networks. There is a limited amount of spectrum for WiFi and having competing networks on the same frequency has the potential to cause issues. I'd recommend you download a WiFi scanning tool to visualise this. On Android I can recommend WiFi Analyzer and on Windows NetSpot.

I'd probably purchase one access point and try it in both the house and shed and see what coverage is like. Use the previously mentioned apps to see what is going on. Only if you can't get satisfactory coverage would i consider adding a third device.

Some reading on WiFi interference:

https://www.netspotapp.com/wifi-interference.html

https://www.metageek.com/training/resources/why-channels-1-6-11.html

Ok fair point, if i just get one, id prefer to go for a better quality one so the range of it maybe stronger to reach the shed.

Would something like this be better as it as extra ports on the back if needed and it can also broadcast in 5ghz if needed. Im not sure if range would be better though.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-WAC104-100UKS-WAC104-Business-Wireless/dp/B01LWUJU8H/ref=sr_1_7?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1532871795&sr=1-7&keywords=wireless+access+point

Ok fair point, if i just get one, id prefer to go for a better quality one so the range of it maybe stronger to reach the shed.

Would something like this be better as it as extra ports on the back if needed and it can also broadcast in 5ghz if needed. Im not sure if range would be better though.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-WAC104-100UKS-WAC104-Business-Wireless/dp/B01LWUJU8H/ref=sr_1_7?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1532871795&sr=1-7&keywords=wireless+access+point

Again I've never used that device so can't say how it performs. It fits your requirements with the extra ports on it and 5Ghz may be useful although it has poor penetration through walls. Read a cross section of the reviews on Amazon.

Again I've never used that device so can't say how it performs. It fits your requirements with the extra ports on it and 5Ghz may be useful although it has poor penetration through walls. Read a cross section of the reviews on Amazon.

Im just trying to weigh up if its worth committing an extra 50euro for that router vs the cheaper one i show you. Im not too fussed about the ethernet ports, i was hoping that maybe the 5ghz and extra signal strength(dont know if it offers that) would justify the extra cost of it.

Im just trying to weigh up if its worth committing an extra 50euro for that router vs the cheaper one i show you. Im not too fussed about the ethernet ports, i was hoping that maybe the 5ghz and extra signal strength(dont know if it offers that) would justify the extra cost of it.

What speed is your internet connection? Do you anticipate upgrading to a high speed ≥300Mb connection in the future.

The benefit of 5Ghz is there is less chance of interference and potentially higher speeds but the distance the signal will travel is shorter.

Have you tried any of those apps that I previously mentioned? If the 2.4Ghz band is clear around you the cheaper access point may be sufficient.

• Advertisement

Let me tell you something.
    You sound like average consumer(no offense here) that think WiFi is the best option - you wrong. Any more-or-less advanced user will tell you that wired connection will not be beaten by WiFi. Ethernet is steady and reliable(provided was installed correctly). WiFi is designed to overcome inconvenience where you not able to have wired connection - mobile phone would not be mobile if you wire it in, laptop, tablet are also mobile devices once no wires attached. As soon you plug the wire(even charger) it becomes stationary. And don't fall for marketing gimmick: 300, 450, 1300, 1800. As average consumer you wont get difference, your actual internet speed will never exceed what your ISP actually providing. What actual speed you have on your stationary computer with Ethernet connection?

If you not fussed about Ethernet and just want get superb WiFi - go for more Pro solution: Ubiquity or even Cisco AP. These would be enterprise range and require some more advanced knowledge to configure(Ubi more user friendly as i read from reviews, myself using Cisco)
    My Cisco AP cover whole house and outside in radius of ~>= 50m providing my house walls insulated with foil-backed insulation that is known to kill/interfere radio signal so my signal and speed drops as further i go. I don't care whats beyond cause there is mobile data for that.
    It might cost you few extra bobs but it's worth if you determined to get it and configure it right.

What speed is your internet connection? Do you anticipate upgrading to a high speed ≥300Mb connection in the future.

The benefit of 5Ghz is there is less chance of interference and potentially higher speeds but the distance the signal will travel is shorter.

Have you tried any of those apps that I previously mentioned? If the 2.4Ghz band is clear around you the cheaper access point may be sufficient.

Im afraid i am all mac so dont have android or windows..

Let me tell you something.
    You sound like average consumer(no offense here) that think WiFi is the best option - you wrong. Any more-or-less advanced user will tell you that wired connection will not be beaten by WiFi. Ethernet is steady and reliable(provided was installed correctly). WiFi is designed to overcome inconvenience where you not able to have wired connection - mobile phone would not be mobile if you wire it in, laptop, tablet are also mobile devices once no wires attached. As soon you plug the wire(even charger) it becomes stationary. And don't fall for marketing gimmick: 300, 450, 1300, 1800. As average consumer you wont get difference, your actual internet speed will never exceed what your ISP actually providing. What actual speed you have on your stationary computer with Ethernet connection?

If you not fussed about Ethernet and just want get superb WiFi - go for more Pro solution: Ubiquity or even Cisco AP. These would be enterprise range and require some more advanced knowledge to configure(Ubi more user friendly as i read from reviews, myself using Cisco)
    My Cisco AP cover whole house and outside in radius of ~>= 50m providing my house walls insulated with foil-backed insulation that is known to kill/interfere radio signal so my signal and speed drops as further i go. I don't care whats beyond cause there is mobile data for that.
    It might cost you few extra bobs but it's worth if you determined to get it and configure it right.

No offence taken, Yes i would be an average consumer. I know wired connections would be more stable and consistent and will be using 1 of the wired connections also. I have multiple devices that need to use wifi with also such as a macbook pro that doesnt have any ethernet ports. I understand that my internet is dictated by my broadband speeds, i am just trying to boost signal strength in various parts of my house.

Im afraid i am all mac so dont have android or windows..

NetSpot works on Mac.

https://www.netspotapp.com

It picks up about 12-15 connections around me with most of them showing a red signal quality I live in a standard 3 bed semi house.Even in the room where i need it, its orange signal for my own wifi.

It picks up about 12-15 connections around me with most of them showing a red signal quality I live in a standard 3 bed semi house.Even in the room where i need it, its orange signal for my own wifi.

I have a 300Mb connection and get about 90Mb on 2.4Gz with Wireless N but I have very few competing networks. If you're happy enough with that I'd probably get the cheaper TP-Link access point and try it. Be careful with the packaging and if you're not happy return it to Amazon. NetSpot should give you an indication of which channel would be best to use.

I was just taking a look at Ubiquity long rang model. Would that be over kill for what im trying to do?

I was just taking a look at Ubiquity long rang model. Would that be over kill for what im trying to do?

Not really. They are excellent products. There may be a bit of a learning curve but they have help forums and online documentation if you're willing to do a bit of reading. Importantly they also have the potential to control the power output so you can tailor the coverage to suit.

Not really. They are excellent products. There may be a bit of a learning curve but they have help forums and online documentation if you're willing to do a bit of reading. Importantly they also have the potential to control the power output so you can tailor the coverage to suit.

Ok perfect. I would like to do it right once, so id say ill give that one a go. Im not too bad with technology so id say ill be able to get to grips with it.Would you go for the lite or the long rate model. the difference is about 20 quid. Im thinking the long range just so i cover all bases and get the job done right.

• Advertisement

Ok perfect. I would like to do it right once, so id say ill give that one a go. Im not too bad with technology so id say ill be able to get to grips with it.Would you go for the lite or the long rate model. the difference is about 20 quid. Im thinking the long range just so i cover all bases and get the job done right.

Yeah go long range. You can turn the power down if there are issues.

Advertisement