Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extending Network Advice

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

You need a wireless access point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Fol20

Ordered the long range unit, just waiting for it to arrive and will let you know how I get on

Hey Guys, i have setup the ubiquiti device and i have got it to work in a specific way.. When i had one network(my default router), no device would connect to the WAP however when i created a seperate network and connect each device manually, it connected perfectly and i can pick up all the devices on the network. Is there any way where when your moving around the house, it will auto connect on devices to whatever network is stronger?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Fol20 wrote: »
    Hey Guys, i have setup the ubiquiti device and i have got it to work in a specific way.. When i had one network(my default router), no device would connect to the WAP however when i created a seperate network and connect each device manually, it connected perfectly and i can pick up all the devices on the network. Is there any way where when your moving around the house, it will auto connect on devices to whatever network is stronger?

That is down to the individual end device itself. Some are better than others. More modern devices will be better

That is down to the individual end device itself. Some are better than others. More modern devices will be better

Do you think its better to keep them seperate then?

• Advertisement

Do you think its better to keep them seperate then?

Not sure what you mean?

When you extend your network you should set your APs to the same SSID and encryption as your main WiFi, then your devices will roam. Like I said some better than others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Not sure what you mean?

When you extend your network you should set your APs to the same SSID and encryption as your main WiFi, then your devices will roam. Like I said some better than others.

I have had awful issues trying to get Apple devices to roam between different access points on the same SSID. Android devices seem to handle it better. Sometimes the only solution is to put the Apple device into flight mode for a couple of seconds then out again.

OP there's lots of information on roaming on the ubnt forums. Here's your learning curve!

https://community.ubnt.com/

I was testing out roaming using 2macs,2 iPhones and a windows 10pc. Mind you I didn’t try and turn WiFi on and off. Is it easier to just to have separate WiFi titles ubuquity and leave it connected to that network instead

I have had awful issues trying to get Apple devices to roam between different access points on the same SSID. Android devices seem to handle it better. Sometimes the only solution is to put the Apple device into flight mode for a couple of seconds then out again.

OP there's lots of information on roaming on the ubnt forums. Here's your learning curve!

https://community.ubnt.com/

My experience has been the exact opposite (although it was 2 years ago) Apple devices roamed better than Android. There's been lots of new versions and updates since, I'm sure they're pretty equal now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

I was testing out roaming using 2macs,2 iPhones and a windows 10pc. Mind you I didn’t try and turn WiFi on and off. Is it easier to just to have separate WiFi titles ubuquity and leave it connected to that network instead

It might be simpler overall but obviously you won't have the benefit of seamlessly moving around your home. You may have to explicitly tell the device to switch between networks as you roam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

OP,

Once you got Ubi, is it not enough to cover whole place with one AP?
    You could disable WiFi on your router and avoid additional radio pollution.

OP,

Once you got Ubi, is it not enough to cover whole place with one AP?
    You could disable WiFi on your router and avoid additional radio pollution.

The AP covers the entire house including the shed with full bar. There are a number of WiFi around me though that can also interfere with my signal quality. I have a virgin router. How would I block their radio signals.

I’m just going to stick with my devices to connect to the ubiquity for all wifis

The AP covers the entire house including the shed with full bar. There are a number of WiFi around me though that can also interfere with my signal quality. I have a virgin router. How would I block their radio signals.

I’m just going to stick with my devices to connect to the ubiquity for all wifis

You would be best disable all other wifi and have the Ubiquiti as your only AP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Depend on router model you have. Look for something like wireless network setings. Uncheck them two boxes and save. Also, disable guest WiFi if present.

wifi-setup-48619-large.jpg

Advertisement