Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a commuting bike

Options
  • 27-07-2018 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I'm currently looking at a hybrid bike for commuting and have seen the following bikes:

Voodoo Marasa from Halfords website
    Trek FX 2 (2019) from trekbikes website

I'm currently leaning towards the Trek FX 2 2019 model but am unsure whether it's the best hybrid under 450 euro. If anyone with a bit of cycling knowledge could help me out on the above bikes or recommend another bike, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

Personally, I would take the voodoo.
    For me the better breaks at 60% of the price would make it an easy choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I'd take a look at Giant also they do some good hybrid bikes note they also have hydraulic disc brakes.

A nice commuter here ready to go for winter weather.

http://www.giant-dublin.ie/ie/bikes-escape-city-2018

Escape-2-City-Disc_Color-A_Dark-Green.jpg

or purely hybrid

http://www.giant-dublin.ie/ie/escape-2-disc-2018

2018_Giant_Escape_2_Disc.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2 lmbettystown

Actually, I can get them either for around the same price. Would you still recommend the voodoo over the trek or a giant as iwillhtfu suggested below?
    Also, is the lighter weight of the Trek (11.68 kg vs 13.2kg) advantageous or not that important compared to brakes?
    Finally, does the Trek FX 2 being recently released (it's a 2019 model) mean anything in terms of how good of a bike it is?
    Thanks again for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

I'd be inclined to go with the Trek. The Acera will shift better than the altus, and the lighter the better. Just seems the Trek has higher quality components.

Also looks like Trek has more size options and the most important factor in getting a bike is proper fit for your size.

Btw where you getting the same price for the Trek...should be 100-150 more than the
    Voodoo?

Advertisement