Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scoil Bhríde in Menlo threaten parents with legal action over social media posts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,887 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

A class of 41 children? No wonder the parents are fuming!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I was in a class of 46 in primary school. Snowflakes! ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Mars Bar wrote: »
    A class of 41 children? No wonder the parents are fuming!

If the teachers union gave a damn about the kids, they'd refuse to allow a member to even teach in a room with those numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Suggesting parents should cough €550 so as to pay for a teacher.
    Wtf.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

On what grounds can they threaten legal action? Is it just related to a subset of the parents that are going overboard?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,174 ✭✭✭batistuta9

xckjoo wrote: »
    On what grounds can they threaten legal action? Is it just related to a subset of the parents that are going overboard?

defamation probably, isn't there strong libel laws in ireland

wonder what was posted?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

batistuta9 wrote: »

wonder what was posted?

Defamation law is pretty clear - allegations have to be false for it to be actionable.

batistuta9 wrote: »

wonder what was posted?

Defamation doesn't apply in this case

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭milout

Is the staff shortage linked to the decision to go all Irish?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,120 ✭✭✭✭zell12

milout wrote: »
    Is the staff shortage linked to the decision to go all Irish?
    ?
    Mionlach is a Gaeltacht
    galway.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

zell12 wrote: »
    ?
    Mionlach is a Gaeltacht
    galway.jpg

That map is well out of date. Very few people in the "Gealtacht" east of the Corrib now actually use Irish, or can even speak it. The closest they get to using Irish is reciting Ár nÁthair in Mass on a Sunday.

Zzippy, as part of the new language plan I think the school had a choice of go all English or all Irish and opted for all Irish as its in a Gaeltacht area. It wasn't allowed to keep its previous bilingual approach, hence the question about it being the source of the teacher shortage.

Looks like the issue is sorted. To what extent, I don't know

https://galwaybayfm.ie/menlo-school-will-not-face-class-grouping-of-41-pupils/

milout wrote: »
    Zzippy, as part of the new language plan I think the school had a choice of go all English or all Irish and opted for all Irish as its in a Gaeltacht area. It wasn't allowed to keep its previous bilingual approach, hence the question about it being the source of the teacher shortage.

I was referring to the map and whether those areas east of the Corrib should still be considered a Gaeltacht. I understand the position with the school. Annaghdown has also gone all Irish I believe.

Zzippy wrote: »
    I was referring to the map and whether those areas east of the Corrib should still be considered a Gaeltacht. I understand the position with the school. Annaghdown has also gone all Irish I believe.

I agree with you that few are speaking the language day to day this side of the Corrib, but the area does well out of the Gaeltacht funding so don't think it will be given up any time soon.

Ah well, it will be a good head start for the kids come senior school.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,120 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Its terrible publicity for the school, the fact they wouldn't make a statement doesn't sit well either.

I'd be looking at different options if I was planning to send kids there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I was in a class of 46 in primary school. Snowflakes! ;-)

50 & over per class in the early 70s

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    50 & over per class in the early 70s

It's not the 70s now, though, nor the 80s when there were 40 in my class. We should be aspiring for better, not harking back to the days that were, frankly, shit...

Advertisement