Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Court summons for wrong offense

• 27-07-2018 4:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭

In April I was stopped by a Garda for not having an up to date NCT cert. He asked for my licence which I didn't have on me so he told me to report to my local station and present proof of booking the NCT and licence.
    I did this.
    I now have received a summons for not having an insurance cert on my car. I did and this was never an issue or a question when stopped by the Garda.
    What do I do?

Comments

Show up to court. Demonstrate that you had a valid policy at the time. Case will be thrown out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

Thanks.
    It's very annoying though. A big waste of the courts and my time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Crea wrote: »
    Thanks.

Which is why you are required to carry your license when driving, saves time and hassle, but some guards will still give you the 10 days to produce it. I assume you had an insurance disc, but since you had no license , the guard had no proof you were actually insured on that vehicle,

Thanks.

Annoying? You should be delighted. You we're about to be nailed to the wall for the nct, and you are getting off Scott free because the cop messed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭cobhguy28

I now have received a summons for not having an insurance cert on my car. I did and this was never an issue or a question when stopped by the Garda.
    What do I do?

There are two different offences
    Show up to court. Demonstrate that you had a valid policy at the time. Case will be thrown out.
    There are two different offences. One is Driving without insurance, One is not having a cert displayed. If a person is up for not having an insurance disk displayed, proving that he was insured at the time will not prove he had a disk displayed at the time while driving.

• Advertisement

Skatedude wrote: »
    Which is why you are required to carry your license when driving, saves time and hassle, but some guards will still give you the 10 days to produce it. I assume you had an insurance disc, but since you had no license , the guard had no proof you were actually insured on that vehicle,

The Garda didn't mention the insurance disk and the drivers name isn't on the disk anyhow so having the licence would have had no bearing on proving that I was insured.

Annoying? You should be delighted. You we're about to be nailed to the wall for the nct, and you are getting off Scott free because the cop messed up.

I'm annoyed because I had followed all the Gardas instructions and now I've to go to court for a clerical error.

The wording of the summons states:

There was not in force an approved policy of insurance.

There is a second summons because I did not present a certificate of insurance to my local Garda station.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I'm annoyed because I had followed all the Gardas instructions and now I've to go to court for a clerical error.

Did you have an nct?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

cobhguy28 wrote: »

There are two different offences. One is Driving without insurance, One is not having a cert displayed. If a person is up for not having an insurance disk displayed, proving that he was insured at the time will not prove he had a disk displayed at the time while driving.

This post does not contain correct information.

• Advertisement

godtabh wrote: »
    Did you have an nct?

No. I told him this but it was just out of date. He told me to book it and present the proof to my local station which I did.

riemann wrote: »

Which Part?

riemann wrote: »

Offence 1 Failure by driver to have insurance disc fixed and displayed on windscreen of vehicle is a fixed charge 
    Offence 2 Driving without insurance.
    So what is not correct
    So even if you prove you have insurance and the Offence of driving without insurance is dropped you can still be liable to a fine for "Failure by driver to have insurance disc fixed and displayed on windscreen of vehicle"

The thing is I did have an insurance disk displayed. It wasnt even brought up in the discussion. The worry i have is how i prove this?
    The Garda obviously wrote down "No insurance" instead of "No NCT".

You have to go to court to get it thrown out. If there hadn't been a clerical error you faced up to $2500 fine, 3 months in prison & 5 penalty points for not having a valid NCT. Count your blessings.

You have to go to court to get it thrown out. If there hadn't been a clerical error you faced up to $2500 fine, 3 months in prison & 5 penalty points for not having a valid NCT. Count your blessings.

The Garda on the day was perfectly sound. NCT was out if date a few weeks so just asked for proof of booking at my local station which I gave. So the matter should have ended there.

Because if a clerical error I have to go to court, prove that I did have insurance at the time, prove it was a clerical error and prove that I displayed an insurance disk. Proving the last 2 may be tricky so I'm not counting my blessings at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭honda boi

Has anyone been charged that harshly for no Nct?
    You see people with plenty of previous convictions walking out Willy nilly.

honda boi wrote: »
    Has anyone been charged that harshly for no Nct?
    You see people with plenty of previous convictions walking out Willy nilly.

If it goes before the judge, they have the power to impose those penalties. Your mileage may vary. The OP can't or won't recognise that he got caught breaking the law and is bloody lucky with the result. NCT was out - a few weeks or a few years has no relevance. Annoyance is a pretty silly reaction to the way this played out. Snowflake syndrome :confused:

SBS

Pls discuss the issues without preaching

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

If it goes before the judge, they have the power to impose those penalties. Your mileage may vary. The OP can't or won't recognise that he got caught breaking the law and is bloody lucky with the result. NCT was out - a few weeks or a few years has no relevance. Annoyance is a pretty silly reaction to the way this played out. Snowflake syndrome :confused:

If the NCT has been done by the time it gets to court, there is a good chance the summons will be withdrawn or the judge will do a poor box. It is 5 penalty points if convicted. Even if there is a conviction the tariff will vary. If the person turns up in court with the same car, still with no NCT most courts take a dim view.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

A few years ago when I used to drive, a guard stopped me and I reckon he needed to reach his quota. He checked the tax, insurance, NCT, tires, lights, asked for my licence, did a breathalyzer test and all was in order. I recommend going car free if possible. It is good for the pocket, the health and the environment.

• Advertisement

4ensic15 wrote: »
    If the NCT has been done by the time it gets to court, there is a good chance the summons will be withdrawn or the judge will do a poor box. It is 5 penalty points if convicted. Even if there is a conviction the tariff will vary. If the person turns up in court with the same car, still with no NCT most courts take a dim view.

The summons has nothing to do with the NCT though. It's for not having insurance which I did at the time and I had the insurance disk displayed.
    SBS- I got the NCT sorted straight away and I brought the proof to the station like I was asked to. It's not snowflake syndrome to be annoyed that I did everything the Garda said but still get brought to court because of a clerical error.

A few years ago when I used to drive, a guard stopped me and I reckon he needed to reach his quota. He checked the tax, insurance, NCT, tires, lights, asked for my licence, did a breathalyzer test and all was in order. I recommend going car free if possible. It is good for the pocket, the health and the environment.

I a country girl so not an option to go car free I'm afraid. I've also 3 kids to shuttle around.
    The Garda I got was sound tbh. My NCT was out so being pulled over was fair enough. Getting a summons about the insurance was a bit of a shock though.

I a country girl so not an option to go car free I'm afraid. I've also 3 kids to shuttle around.
    The Garda I got was sound tbh. My NCT was out so being pulled over was fair enough. Getting a summons about the insurance was a bit of a shock though.

Let that be a lesson to you. It is better to have the window properly dressed at all times. When you have an encounter with the Garda, it will always go better for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Do you have a certificate of insurance that shows you were insured at the time? A disk does not prove insurance. If you do, bring the insurance cert and disks into the garda now and if all is in order they may agree to withdraw the summonses without you having to attend court.

Do you have a certificate of insurance that shows you were insured at the time? A disk does not prove insurance. If you do, bring the insurance cert and disks into the garda now and if all is in order they may agree to withdraw the summonses without you having to attend court.

Once there is a summons issued it is unwise not to go to court, even if the garda says they will withdraw the summons. Things can go wrong.

SBS

Pls discuss the issues without preaching

@nuac Please don't edit my posts. If you have a problem with them, make your own post or PM me.

I'm not preaching. I discussed the issue with the OP, gave advice and explained why I thought annoyance was an inappropriate reaction. You're out of line, IMO. Ban away...

SBS
    The convention here is to avoid disputes in-thread with a forum mod..

You are welcome to refer your complaint to the other mods in Legal Discussion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

I would suggest contacting the Superintentendent of the station, provide a photocopy of the summons and your insurance cert and explain what happened.
    He/she can then ask the Garda for a report on the matter and recommend if correct to have the summons withdrawn.
    This may be a better approach

Advertisement