Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rain Jacket for Summer & Autumn?

Options
  • 27-07-2018 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭

Hi!

I was touring along the west coast of Ireland this week.
    Unlike much of the country, the north west got a fair bit of heavy drizzle on a few days.. in Connemara & up in Donegal.
    I wore a long sleeve cycling jersey and a light endura rain jacket on top...
    It was continuous heavy drizzle and I just got wet and then i sweated a lot, so when i took the rain jacket off I was really cold!!

Can any of you recommend a good rain jacket that is waterproof and breathable so that you dont sweat underneath...?
    For temperatures between 14 - 23 degrees celcius?

I appreciate any feedback!

A

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I have tried a few and for best performance I liked the Castelli pocket liner but it wasn't very packable so I have the Sportful hot pack ultra light now and it packs down really small and keeps the rain off and is very breathable.

The other option is something like a gabba jersey

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

The Rapha Core Rain Jacket is a nice lightweight layer, I have one and love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

+1 on the Rapha Core jacket!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭AmberGold

I have this one, not Rapha but excellent for the price;

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-aeron-tempo-2-waterproof-jacket/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Sportful fiandre light norain for me.

You'll still get wet, and it still gets soaked. But like a gabba, you take it off and you're dry underneath. Packs up pretty small too.

Doesn't have pockets though if you needed them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Pearl Izumi Elite Barrier jacket.

Does very well in light showers. Does ok in heavy showers for a while but not waterproof. Very light to carry though. I love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Arequipa

THank you for the replies lads..
    It is a hard balance..To keep dry and yet not be cold and sweaty when u finish...
    I will look at the ones you recommend...

I think it is tougher when u are on the bike for 5- 8 hours for many days..
    Comfort is so important!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭jamesd

Miklos wrote: »
    The Rapha Core Rain Jacket is a nice lightweight layer, I have one and love it.

Ordered one just now from Rapha.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

AmberGold wrote: »
    I have this one, not Rapha but excellent for the price;

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-aeron-tempo-2-waterproof-jacket/

I like the look of that. Looks ideal for a 6-day trip I'm doing in a few weeks around the north coast, and general commuting. Is the breathability as good as claimed?

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭wheelo01

For me, it is just a side effect of exercise, i sweat profusely, regardless of weather.
    There are no jackets that will wick fast enough for me not to feel cold.
    If i do any climbing, i have to bring a light windptoof for the way down.
    For me breathability is non existent, i wish you well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Arequipa

I think you are right... we all sweat when we exercise and particularly when we climb..
    But when a rain shower passes and you take off the rain jacket it can feel really cold...even in summer... a cool wind can make this worse..

I think during the fine weather early in July.. it was so warm.. that a rain shower would have been nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭jamesd

Wore the Rapha rain came today for the ring of Clare and after very heavy showers overa 3 hours my jersey was still fully dry - really impressed with it and only started to find it warm after 100km when the sun came out.

Advertisement