Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knocking down a wall / garage conversion

Options
  • 27-07-2018 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭

Hi.

We are looking to knock down a wall that has a chimney breast. This will then mean we will have an open kitchen / dining area. We are also looking to convert our garage at same time. This will leave us with an upside down L shape from garage to top of kitchen and then new open dining area to right (if that makes sense)

We've had a few builders out, a couple won't touch it due to chimney and two others are coming back with prices in next few weeks.

What surprised me was that no builder offered advice on what to do. We are pretty blind here but we basically want to convert garage, knock the wall down, have new kitchen and utility area.

Before we commit to builder I would like a professional to advise on best layout etc.. And use of space as I'm afraid we will mess it up.

Would an architect look at this to give us some ideas, drawings? Seems pretty basic what we are looking for but really don't want to mess this up as it will end up costly

If they do, what would they charge? I don't really need anything bespoke as the area is pretty bog standard so hoping it's not a big job? **edit what I mean by that is that they may already have sample plans for the shape already so they won't need to draw new plans, just looking for a few ideas for this type of space

Thanks!

Advertisement