Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Propecia

• 27-07-2018 8:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know where to get a propecia prescription ?
    Everyone says an online pharmacy but I would rather a GP or clinic....
    From my research propecia seems to be the most effective product out there for hair loss....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭jbt123

Embrace the baldness Elton.

The balder you are, the more head you get....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Pa8301

Follow the yellow brick road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

You need a prescription for finasteride. Go to hair restoration network forums and read about it first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,463 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

https://www.webdoctor.ie

Irish site and doctors. JUst fill out online form and they'll send you a prescription in post. You can email and call them also if you have questions .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

jbt123 wrote: »
    Embrace the baldness Elton.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Just go to your GP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Has anyone got experience of going to the their GP for finasteride ? Are they even aware that it is used for hair loss ?
    and no I am not going to embrace baldness...I still have a decent head of hair... just don't want to loose it.....the drug has like an 80% effectiveness.... seems like the smart choice
    is https://www.webdoctor.ie legit ? have people here used it ?

Has anyone got experience of going to the their GP for finasteride ? Are they even aware that it is used for hair loss ?
    and no I am not going to embrace baldness...I still have a decent head of hair... just don't want to loose it.....the drug has like an 80% effectiveness.... seems like the smart choice
    is https://www.webdoctor.ie legit ? have people here used it ?

Yes legit.

I obtained a prescription from them. I didn't actually go to get medication from Pharmacy though, I fear the special effects of these meds. But I have the prescription, you'll get it next day or two in the post.

a ha ! so they send you the perspiration form ! thats perfect
    I have read about the side effects... but all drugs have potential side effects... I think they are a little bit overblown... even an aspirin and stuff says it could result in death....but hopefully I don't grow man boobs or something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

You’ll have hair and no sex drive. Poor trade off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

a ha ! so they send you the perspiration form ! thats perfect
    I have read about the side effects... but all drugs have potential side effects... I think they are a little bit overblown... even an aspirin and stuff says it could result in death....but hopefully I don't grow man boobs or something

Cos a man with a full head of hair but also a big pair of knockers is infinitely more attractive than just a shaved head.

EDIT: pretty sure a fella in the gentlemans forum had to have breast reduction from that stuff. Totally worth it.

thats possible.... but fairly unlikely...and If its the case I will just stop taking it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

From my research propecia seems to be the most effective product out there for hair loss....

You can get a prescription from a GP or Dermatologist.

Be careful though. Taking them can cause "plumbing issues"

I think the side effects are only like less then 3% people
    I heard Ashton kuthcher talking about it.... he went from balding... to a restored mane of hair... that pretty much sold me...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

I'm a baldie and I'd never be into any kind of hair treatment. Fair enough if you're just trying to stop the receding hairline.

I actually like having a shaved head, my hair was always crap anyway so suits me.

But the main reason would be that even though I get a bit of slagging about my (lack of) hair I know it's not malicious and I give as good as I get, but if I turned up in work on Monday with a moptop the abuse would be relentless. And I'm in an office, can't imagine what the average building site would be like.

I haven't even started taking propecia yet but I feel like I'm already getting phantom man boobs....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,272 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Are you ready? Are you ready for love?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

I think the side effects are only like less then 3% people
    And if you happen to one of those 3% you're plumbing can be screwed up for weeks if not forever. Tread very carefully is all I'm saying.
    I heard Ashton kuthcher talking about it.... he went from balding... to a restored mane of hair... that pretty much sold me...

He more than likely did more than just take propecia. Probably rogaine[or regaine as its known here] or maybe a transplant.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I have a spare mop head, if you wanna skip using the drugs.

Kuthcer actually took Avodart... which is a more extreme version of propecia.....
    Propecia is FDA approved.....if it wasn't safe it. wouldn't be approved....

https://www.menshealth.com/grooming/a21082195/ashton-kutcher-hair-loss/

• Advertisement

Could avoid all meds and do this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Could avoid all meds and do this

Don't you still need to take meds even after a hair transplant to prevent further loss of whatever was already on the way out?

hair transplants are like 10,000.... and when you get one you have to go on propecia so you don't loose the new hair

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Personally I wouldn't advise going near a 5-alpha reductase inhibitor with a barge pole. DHT is the most powerful androgen in the male body, and inhibiting its production f*cks with a lot of other endocrine systems besides those related to hair loss.

Millions of people do take it.....you can get it in boots with no prescription in the uk.... I feel like a lot of the talk of side effects is similar to anti vaccination talk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

Don't do it dude... Too many possible side effects... Irreversible too... Serious depression linked to these things too https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/1757935?guccounter=1

Millions of people do take it.....you can get it in boots with no prescription in the uk.... I feel like a lot of the talk of side effects is similar to anti vaccination talk

To be fair, in this case it's the mechanism of action itself which causes concern. Finasteride literally works by preventing the body from creating the strongest male sex hormone, DHT, which is implicated in causing hair loss. The trouble is that DHT also performs many other functions related to mood and sex drive, among others. Inhibiting it to prevent hair loss is a bit like not eating any food in order to prevent weight gain, except in this case some of the effects seem to be permanent. I'm not sure if this is because the body doesn't replace 5AR once it's been damaged by an inhibitor, but that'd be my guess.

61 people is a very small study.... also people can have placebo esque side effects......especially with ED which is so psychology based

has anyone here actually taken it ?

To be fair, in this case it's the mechanism of action itself which causes concern. Finasteride literally works by preventing the body from creating the strongest male sex hormone, DHT, which is implicated in causing hair loss. The trouble is that DHT also performs many other functions related to mood and sex drive, among others. Inhibiting it to prevent hair loss is a bit like not eating any food in order to prevent weight gain, except in this case some of the effects seem to be permanent. I'm not sure if this is because the body doesn't replace 5AR once it's been damaged by an inhibitor, but that'd be my guess.

that is a very interesting... and it makes sense.... but I guess its only like 3% who suffer these side effects

• Advertisement

and isn't it people with too much testosterone who loose there hair ?

apparently trump takes it too....

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭richy

My doctor gave me a repeat prescription for it and knew a lot about it. Initially, I went to Blackrock hair clinic and then went to the doctor two years later as I didnt fancy making the journey to dublin for the prescription. I think it was a 100 for the consultation but it may have been more for the initial one. Take quarter of a tablet (5mg) alongside Rogaine and a caffeine hair shampoo which name escapes me but if you PM i can find it for you later. Also the ED issues are only slighlty higher when compared to the placebo test group so I wouldnt worry about it. 2 years on it and no issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Be sensible, just embrace it. Hair drugs make many things worst and can definitely make your willy melt.

richy wrote: »
    My doctor gave me a repeat prescription for it and knew a lot about it. Initially, I went to Blackrock hair clinic and then went to the doctor two years later as I didnt fancy making the journey to dublin for the prescription. I think it was a 100 for the consultation but it may have been more for the initial one. Take quarter of a tablet (5mg) alongside Rogaine and a caffeine hair shampoo which name escapes me but if you PM i can find it for you later. Also the ED issues are only slighlty higher when compared to the placebo test group so I wouldnt worry about it. 2 years on it and no issues.

Did you hold on to the hair you had ? regrowth ? fuller hair ?

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭richy

Did you hold on to the hair you had ? regrowth ? fuller hair ?

When i first started taking it I noticed my hair was thicker and looked better. I think I may have lost a small bit more recently as I stopped using the regaine and missed lots of tablets but it defo works for retaining your hair for the vast majority of people and causes regrowth in some. It wont regrow hair thats fully gone but if you have those small whispy white hairs left then theres a good chance they will regrow.

• Advertisement

richy wrote: »
    When i first started taking it I noticed my hair was thicker and looked better. I think I may have lost a small bit more recently as I stopped using the regaine and missed lots of tablets but it defo works for retaining your hair for the vast majority of people and causes regrowth in some. It wont regrow hair thats fully gone but if you have those small whispy white hairs left then theres a good chance they will regrow.

Do you think using the rogaine with it is essential ? I hear neutrogena is effective too...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Get some rabbit tattoos.

Don't you still need to take meds even after a hair transplant to prevent further loss of whatever was already on the way out?

No
    That guy in vid on no meds. He was stable for now. Maybe slow natural loss but nothing dramatic. Of course he could have another hair transplant in years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Patient11

Propecia is pure poison.

"Penile shrinkage" and "Suicidal ideation" are just some of the side effects.

http://medsafe.govt.nz/profs/PUArticles/March2016/PostFinasterideSyndrome.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

I think I've gone past the point of no return for propecia. It's a hair transplant or nothing. That said, I get more attention from the fairer sex. I get a #1 every other week. Otherwise, I look like a tonsured monk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Dimoxinil, any good pharmacy will have it.

mmm... not sure if i can afford any penile shrinkage....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

and isn't it people with too much testosterone who loose there hair ?
    Nope. Old wives tale for the most part. It's not the level of testosterone, it's an individual's genetic tendency for certain hair follicles to be sensitive to DHT, a form of testosterone and cause them to go into a permanent resting phase. Male pattern baldness. Though I did read somewhere or other that overall thinning may be environmental. Women can get a type of male pattern baldness and for similar reasons. Usually after menopause. And women produce far lower levels of testosterone. So you could have a guy with so much testosterone he should be living up a tree, but has a full head of hair and another guy with levels of testosterone on the floor but ends up as an egghead at 20.

Now lopping one's gentleman's globes off at 15 would slow down any genetic loss massively, but that seems a tad extreme...

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

Personally I wouldn't recommend it OP and I'm going through the same problem. Many people who take it get side effects, many don't. For the people who get side effects such as erectile dysfunction and loss of libido, the problems seem to disappear gradually once they get off the drug but for a small amount its permanent. There is some posts on Boards.ie of people who have experienced this.

I know many people on it. Studies have shown it to be a safe drug with in around 2% chance of side effects. However upon talking to a few doctors about my own problems, more recent studies show that taking the drug may lead to problems down the road.

How they discovered the link between testerone/DHT and baldness was that back in the sex offenders were castrated.... but these sex offenders all had full heads of hair... this was noticed by a doctor.....who then started injecting them with testosterone..... and all their hair fell out......

• Site Banned Posts: 75 ✭✭Lillybloom

Wibbs wrote: »
    Nope. Old wives tale for the most part. It's not the level of testosterone, it's an individual's genetic tendency for certain hair follicles to be sensitive to DHT, a form of testosterone and cause them to go into a permanent resting phase. Male pattern baldness. Though I did read somewhere or other that overall thinning may be environmental. Women can get a type of male pattern baldness and for similar reasons. Usually after menopause. And women produce far lower levels of testosterone. So you could have a guy with so much testosterone he should be living up a tree, but has a full head of hair and another guy with levels of testosterone on the floor but ends up as an egghead at 20.

Now lopping one's gentleman's globes off at 15 would slow down any genetic loss massively, but that seems a tad extreme...

Is there any actual proof that some follicles are more sensitive to DHT?

If you take two healthy hairs from a young man with a healthy full head of hair, one from the crown and one from the typical donor area, would there be any way to identify which one was sensitive to DHT if you didn't know what part if the scalp it came from?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

Poprika? On your head?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Save yourself time money and hastle and get the one all over. And maybe a hat till you get used to it.

Elemonator wrote: »
    Personally I wouldn't recommend it OP and I'm going through the same problem. Many people who take it get side effects, many don't. For the people who get side effects such as erectile dysfunction and loss of libido, the problems seem to disappear gradually once they get off the drug but for a small amount its permanent. There is some posts on Boards.ie of people who have experienced this.

I know many people on it. Studies have shown it to be a safe drug with in around 2% chance of side effects. However upon talking to a few doctors about my own problems, more recent studies show that taking the drug may lead to problems down the road.

The problem is that finasteride is known as a "suicidal inhibitor" of the 5-AR enzyme (the one which makes DHT) - it actually destroys the enzyme when it binds to it, rather than merely temporarily binding to it until it's flushed out of your system. And the problem is, while everyone's production of sex hormones and the enzymes which govern them declines gradually with age, for some people it happens more rapidly than for others. As far as I know, this means that using an irreversible inhibitor like finasteride runs the risk of permanently lowering one's level of 5-AR - if one has reached a point at which the body isn't replenishing it to the same level it was at before a bunch of it was nuked by the inhibitor.

This is an issue which occurs across the whole spectrum of drugs which inhibit enzymes, not just 5-AR. In general, these enzymes peak in young adulthood and slowly decline thereafter. Drugs which destroy the enzyme as opposed to temporarily blockading it are therefore risky because you just don't know how efficiently the body will restore your levels back to their pre-drug baseline.

Similar effects are known when women take aromatase inhibitors later in life - levels of estradiol may never recover to their pre-drug levels, but because these age related declines differ from person to person, there's no way to be sure.

Given how crucial androgens are not just for sexuality in men but also for general mood and drive, it's not a risk I would personally ever be willing to take, unless it was a life or death situation (androgen dependent cancer to take one example).

Obviously it's up to each individual how big a risk of side effects is acceptable to them, but it's my own position that anything which does not have a zero possibility of permanently screwing with my sex drive (and general motivation) isn't something I'm going to take a chance on unless it's either that or an early appointment with my maker. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

jbt123 wrote: »

The better you look, the more you see

• Advertisement
Advertisement