Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Free Public Transport for Pope Francis Mass

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

spurious wrote: »
    Can you get the DART from town?

No leap card so cash fares! (Rarely use the bus). I could get the DART actually and walk up (close to Stillorgan). I might just stay home and watch ET and Home Alone instead :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

antodeco wrote: »
    No leap card so cash fares! (Rarely use the bus). I could get the DART actually and walk up (close to Stillorgan). I might just stay home and watch ET and Home Alone instead :D

The card only costs a fiver (and that's just for the reserve 5euro balance) so might be worth the investment!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Still no harm getting a leap card for the odd time you use the bus or the Dart

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Isambard wrote: »
    would donkeys be OK for transport?

Yes if you tie your ass to a tree and walk into Jerusalem.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

Yes if you tie your ass to a tree and walk into Jerusalem.

Only applies on Palm Sunday no doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

G_R wrote: »
    The card only costs a fiver (and that's just for the reserve 5euro balance) so might be worth the investment!

Didn't know that! I'll have a look now! Appreciate that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

L1011 wrote: »
    Maynooth is to be used as a massive park and ride. As it is for any Croke Park game featuring any county from Clare and North already.

https://twitter.com/labourkn/status/1030530615941234690

I think I shall endeavour to have such a hangover that I don't surface until about 11pm :pac:

Never mind Maynooth at least it actually has the car park. Every bloody car for the car park that’s not even in Kilcock is being sent through Kilcock. Pain in the neck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

I'm living in Ballyfermot, between Le Fanu and Kylemore. Both these roads are closed from 6am to 11pm. If I need to get to BlackRock that day, I'll need to get a bus into town, walk and then get another bus, and then walk. It's really crazy. Same in reverse. For 3 people, that will now cost close to €40, as oppose to very little if driving. Crazy

Could you go round a different way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Anyone explain why Luas plan to suspend the Red Line between Connolly-Smithfeild next Saturday. The pope thing is in Croke Park and it should be treated no different to an All Ireland which attracts more people.

Its very good of them to run between Connolly-Point for a change. Must be reading here..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Anyone explain why Luas plan to suspend the Red Line between Connolly-Smithfeild next Saturday. The pope thing is in Croke Park and it should be treated no different to an All Ireland which attracts more people.

Its very good of them to run between Connolly-Point for a change. Must be reading here..

Hes apparently doin a walkaround in the Connolly/Gardiner st area so that whole areas in lockdown I believe while hes there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Apparently, someone is trying to impose a limit of four people per house along part of the route!

https://twitter.com/daithigor/status/1031106804523180032

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Jamie2k9 wrote: »

The Pope thing is not just in Croke Park.
    He is also in the Pro Cathedral and the Capuchins in Smithfield, plus a drive between the two. Once he is gone all the transport and roads will go back to normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭john boye

Are they planning a cull of the junkies in town this week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Have they said if cycling is allowed within the grey area? I need to get to the city centre from Castleknock on that day.

Straight down the canal path will be the easiest way in for you I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Apparently, someone is trying to impose a limit of four people per house along part of the route!

https://twitter.com/daithigor/status/1031106804523180032

how are they hoping to achieve that?

This is getting beyond crazy.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

P_1 wrote: »
    Straight down the canal path will be the easiest way in for you I'd say.

Thanks P_1 I hadnt thought of the canal.

I wonder what happens in the city centre though, are there going to be Garda road blocks with cyclists not permitted and you are told pedestrians only? Will you be allowed to walk with the bike or have to leave it at the road block? The powers that be really havent been clear on some aspects of this plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Corby Trouser Press

Irish Rail press release from a few weeks ago mentioned 10 minute frequency on Maynooth and DART lines for Sunday 26th August but usual Sunday service still coming up on app and website... can shed any light on this?

Also, will any stations near to the event (Ashtown, Navan Rd Parkway) be closed?

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭n!ghtmancometh

If all people in the area need passes, how are the homeless service users of the capuchins and Peter Mcverry going to access services on the day the Pope is having his photo op? Will the guards just round up a handful of sorry looking folks for the photos, and tell the rest to go and swivel? Very Catholic altogether.

Irish Rail press release from a few weeks ago mentioned 10 minute frequency on Maynooth and DART lines for Sunday 26th August but usual Sunday service still coming up on app and website... can shed any light on this?

Also, will any stations near to the event (Ashtown, Navan Rd Parkway) be closed?
    All stops will be open

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Any staff/itks know what the plans are for ticket checking on Sunday?
    Like if it was a nice day would it possible to get the train from Castleknock to Connolly and onto Howth in the morning, do the cliff walk, and head back on the reverse journey timing it for just after the crowds would have arrived at the mass (i.e, 3.30pm ish).
    Will have a few people in tow and would be delighted to save the €9/€10 a person train charge.

There will be extra staff in Castleknock checking tickets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Seems like the exclusion zone will remain in place until Tuesday morning.

Absolutely ridiculous, traffic in the city will be chaotic Monday.

https://www.garda.ie/en/about-us/our-departments/office-of-corporate-communications/news-media/traffic-restrictions-in-phoenix-park-on-monday-27th-august-2018.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Just the Phoenix Park by the looks of it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Just the Phoenix Park by the looks of it.

Which is to allow them to dismantle stuff.

Unbelievable hysteria out there thanks to a number of untrue 'truths' spread online.

Just for the record.....

The M50 IS NOT closed either day
    The Port Tunnel/East Link is open both days
    You DO NOT need Garda ID to use public transport to get to work Saturday in the city centre.
    Most major shops in town ARE open on Saturday.

What I posted is neither untrue nor hysterical, nor have I seen anything in this thread relevant to what you listed.

Makes no sense to close off pedestrian or cyclist access for the entire park. Keeping one lane either down Chesterfield Avenue or the North Road would be beneficial given how traffic will be that side of the city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

No, let them have one day to demolish the extremely substantial stuff that has been built in the Phoenix Park over the last few weeks to accommodate this.

They don't need to close the whole park to pedestrians and cyclists to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Hurrache wrote: »
    They don't need to close the whole park to pedestrians and cyclists to do so.

How will closing the park make traffic chaotic though? It's hardly a transport thoroughfare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭thomasj

Podge_irl wrote:
    How will closing the park make traffic chaotic though? It's hardly a transport thoroughfare.

It's a major transport thoroughfare for Dublin 15.

Podge_irl wrote: »

It's exactly that, with the alternatives very congested as is without the capacity to take the additional traffic. N3 traffic can be backed to the M50 as it is on a bad day, Chapelizod into Castleknock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The Luas stops have an automated announcement that is so generic it soubdsike they actually deliberately got it made for re-use for Patrick's weekend and others

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

thomasj wrote: »
    It's a major transport thoroughfare for Dublin 15.

Fair enough, I stand corrected if so. With the difficulty of even getting onto Chesterfield Ave I am surprised if it would ever be quicker than the alternatives.

It's just viable enough to take enough traffic from elsewhere, without it there's few alternative routes in the immediate area.

But it's a great route for cyclists entering the city from the wider Dublin 15 area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Any staff/itks know what the plans are for ticket checking on Sunday?
    Like if it was a nice day would it possible to get the train from Castleknock to Connolly and onto Howth in the morning, do the cliff walk, and head back on the reverse journey timing it for just after the crowds would have arrived at the mass (i.e, 3.30pm ish).
    Will have a few people in tow and would be delighted to save the €9/€10 a person train charge.
    Hilly Bill wrote: »
    There will be extra staff in Castleknock checking tickets.

Cheers, not sure whether you were kidding or not but now have myself some of those free travel papal passes so all sorted. Bit of nice weather on Sunday morning be good hopefully.

(Seems to be no shortage of them so hopefully I'm not depriving anyone).

Cheers, not sure whether you were kidding or not but now have myself some of those free travel papal passes so all sorted. Bit of nice weather on Sunday morning be good hopefully.

(Seems to be no shortage of them so hopefully I'm not depriving anyone).

If it's valid it's valid, if not then it's 10 hail Mary's that will get you through the barriers :)

lawred2 wrote: »
    how are they hoping to achieve that?

No idea, but ICCL have rightly kicked up a fuss.

https://twitter.com/ICCLtweet/status/1032298218015662081

The idea of people in a private house needing ID to prove who they are, and limiting the number of people in a private house is GUBU - grotesque, unbelievable, bizarre and unprecedented.

This needs a big pushback.

It's not right that people going to see the head of a rather questionable organisation get free transport, while people going to a protest against the misdeeds of that organisation will have to pay.

And RTPI on Dublin Bus is turned off :mad: so stand at a bus stop tomorrow for half an hour wondering if a bus will turn up. Can they not show the location of buses on Google/Apple maps so you could at least be confident that one was on the way, if not confident on the exact arrival time.

Given the traffic restrictions, DB should be whizzing through the city tomorrow.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

No idea, but ICCL have rightly kicked up a fuss.

https://twitter.com/ICCLtweet/status/1032298218015662081

The idea of people in a private house needing ID to prove who they are, and limiting the number of people in a private house is GUBU - grotesque, unbelievable, bizarre and unprecedented.

This needs a big pushback.

If anything happened to the Pope on his visit to Ireland because the Garda did not take every preventable measure, it would bring compete disgrace to our whole country.
    Has to be done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

It's not right that people going to see the head of a rather questionable organisation get free transport, while people going to a protest against the misdeeds of that organisation will have to pay.

And RTPI on Dublin Bus is turned off :mad: so stand at a bus stop tomorrow for half an hour wondering if a bus will turn up. Can they not show the location of buses on Google/Apple maps so you could at least be confident that one was on the way, if not confident on the exact arrival time.

Given the traffic restrictions, DB should be whizzing through the city tomorrow.

Most people going to the protest will have free travel too ;)

If anything happened to the Pope on his visit to Ireland because the Garda did not take every preventable measure, it would bring compete disgrace to our whole country.
    Has to be done.

There is the little matter of the law to be complied with. What law gives the Gardai (or the OPW, bizarrely) powers to

a) demand identities of people in a house in advance
    b) limit the number of people in the house

How are they going to manage the information? Can I beat the system by inviting a sniper for an overnight stay and simply forgetting to put him on the list? Are they going to enter houses without warrants to validate the lists or investigate? Or is it just a pointless, bureaucratic exercise?

How are they going to store the information? How will have access? How long will it be retained?

If it 'has to be done', then they need to pass new legislation to allow it to be done.

It is an intrusive, over-bearing reach into personal privacy with no basis in law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

ELM327 wrote: »
    Most people going to the protest will have free travel too ;)

What are you basing this on, or a cheap jibe?

Try_harder wrote: »
    What are you basing this on, or a cheap jibe?
    How is it a cheap jibe?
    A lot of the protesters are also part of the SayNopeToThePope campaign and booked the free tickets

I know I was planning to go in but got called in to work today for instance, and I had 1812 tickets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

How is it a cheap jibe?
    A lot of the protesters are also part of the SayNopeToThePope campaign and booked the free tickets

I know I was planning to go in but got called in to work today for instance, and I had 1812 tickets

What an incredibly sad thing to do.

ANXIOUS wrote: »
    What an incredibly sad thing to do.
    Well I don't agree with €32 million of taxpayer money funding this paedophile enabler organisation so I will use my right to peaceful protest.

You may think it's sad, but what I think is sad is the apathetic attitude from people like who who are complicit in allowing the church to rape our children for decades

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Well I don't agree with €32 million of taxpayer money funding this paedophile enabler organisation so I will use my right to peaceful protest.

You may think it's sad, but what I think is sad is the apathetic attitude from people like who who are complicit in allowing the church to rape our children for decades

It just comes across as pathetic and ignorant.

If you want to protest protest, but to actively seek to remove the ability of people who wanted to see him is petty.

I'll ignore the last paragraph for the horse **** that it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

So Irish Rail have disabled real time info for DART/Commuter, deliberate or somebody forgot to enter the schedule onto the system?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

KD345 wrote: »

Why should someone going shopping that day be forced to pay their fare when the next passenger going to a mass can travel for free on the same bus/tram/train?

You could say the same thing about the people using free travel passes

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭BlondeBomb

Is it free travel into town too or just to Pope stations - Ashtown / broombrige?

• Advertisement
Advertisement