Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build fuse issue

Options
  • 27-07-2018 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭

Howdy folks,

I have a problem where something trips my main fuse breaker and cuts power to entire house. Note its a new build.

It's very intermittent. Once in last 6 months then twice in a week. The last time it happened I only had the bare things on. I.e fridge, heating system (air source pump) well pump, house alarm etc I've googled but none the wiser. What would be the best way to diagnose the issue or will I just call the electrician back?

I've not much to go on i know.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Skihunta13

Can you post a photo of the decice that trips?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

post a pic of your distribution board and what is tripped.

(Skihunta13 bet me to it)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

Sure of course, Attached.

That's the only one that trips the rest don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭kramer1

Any chance of a picture of the whole board?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

Something not right. That shouldn’t control whole house
    Any chance of photos of full board

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

kramer1 wrote: »
    Any chance of a picture of the whole board?

Beat me to it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

When that trips does everything go including lights etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Skihunta13

That RCD should only control the sockets, immersion. Your lights should not go off when that trips.
    Possible causes are 1. faulty RCD (unlikely) 2. Faulty appliance ( most common here is water in the base of kettle) 3. A neutral earth fault most likely caused by the screw of socket nicking the neutral cable.
    Very hard to find when its an intermitting fault. Probably best to get electrician back to retest. The original test results could probably point to which circuit was close to breaking down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

Skihunta13 wrote: »
    That RCD should only control the sockets, immersion. Your lights should not go off when that trips.
    Possible causes are 1. faulty RCD (unlikely) 2. Faulty appliance ( most common here is water in the base of kettle) 3. A neutral earth fault most likely caused by the screw of socket nicking the neutral cable.
    Very hard to find when its an intermitting fault. Probably best to get electrician back to retest. The original test results could probably point to which circuit was close to breaking down.

Interesting stuff. Thx. It was during the day didn't have lights / check them. The way I understand it (layman here so could wrong)is the heat system is also on it's own circuit / fuse. Knocking that switch off confirms that as the system was still live.

I also have a HVAC system to which I have my suspicions about as it's blown fuses in it's plug in the past.

I'll get himself back to check.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Larger loads such as instantaneous showers and heat pumps are better having dedicated RCDs. This makes it easier to fault find, has less impact if they trip as well as reducing the chances orf nuisance tripping.

Remember even when operating properly these units have a small earth leakage current.

• Advertisement
Advertisement