Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home network post 2nd house extension

Options
  • 27-07-2018 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I'm hoping someone more knowledgeable than me can give some advice on the network setup I should aim for after putting on a 2nd house extension.

Here goes....

At the moment I have a Virgin Media Hub 3.0 running in Bridged Mode.
    It's connected to a NetGear WNDR3800 which acts as main router. This setup is at the very front of the house and it has a 360MB Connection

I have an extension at the back of the house with a desktop PC and so have a NetGear wnr2000v3 here running in Access Mode on a wired connection to the WNDR3800. It provides a wired connection for the desktop PC & also extends the wireless signal to the back of the house with the same SSID as the WNDR3800.

I've just put on a 2nd extension to the side of the house & have gotten the builders to run CAT6 cables to it. There will be an office in here with another desktop PC.

Should I just get another cheap NetGear router for in here & stick it in Access Mode too?
    Should I stick the WNDR3800 in here in Access Mode and get a better "main router".
    Any recommendations for models?

What will ensure I'm getting the best out of my internet connection?

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

netgear_wndr3800_router_throughput.jpg

3800 is *just* fast enough for what you have now. It will need replacing but no point buying now when the same unit will be far cheaper in 18-24 months when VMs next bump comes along.

The 2000 you have is a huge bottleneck at 100Mb single band. Give that the boot.

No reason not to stick with NG, a pair of R6300s say would be a good base. You can spend more to get more wireless speed but not range - would benefit new devices (3yrs or younger) most. Availability of the 6300 is zero at the minute so sister models would do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

ED E wrote: »
    netgear_wndr3800_router_throughput.jpg

3800 is *just* fast enough for what you have now. It will need replacing but no point buying now when the same unit will be far cheaper in 18-24 months when VMs next bump comes along.

The 2000 you have is a huge bottleneck at 100Mb single band. Give that the boot.

No reason not to stick with NG, a pair of R6300s say would be a good base. You can spend more to get more wireless speed but not range - would benefit new devices (3yrs or younger) most. Availability of the 6300 is zero at the minute so sister models would do.

Brilliant thanks.
    This is exactly the kind of advice I was hoping for.
    Can you give me more info on what you mean by "sister models" as you're right, there's no availability of NetGear r6300s.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

6250, 6100 etc. Thing is US pricing is about 60 bucks but Amazon are around the 100 GBP mark which is a rip. You'll need to have a poke to see whats available.

- Has 1000Mb (gig) ports
    - Dual band
    - Wireless AC

Once you have those three you should be fine.

ED E wrote: »
    6250, 6100 etc. Thing is US pricing is about 60 bucks but Amazon are around the 100 GBP mark which is a rip. You'll need to have a poke to see whats available.

- Has 1000Mb (gig) ports
    - Dual band
    - Wireless AC

Once you have those three you should be fine.

Cool Thanks.

Will look into those models.

Bumping up this thread from last year in the hope that ED_E can help me out again :)

I've upgraded from 360MB to 500MB with VM so the NetGear WNDR3800 won't be up to the job (based on above) and so needs replacing.

For the extension I ended up buying a NETGEAR Nighthawk Smart Wi-Fi Router (R7000P) that I got for £99.99 but it's now £154!

I presume the Nighthawk is okay with 500MB?

I still need something to replace the WNDR3800 (main router) - can you suggest something? I'd like to stick with NetGear.

• Advertisement
Advertisement