Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegetarian Mayonnaise - "Troubleshooting"

Options
  • 27-07-2018 9:29pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi there,

Hope I'm in the right place. :)

I've tried to make a veggy mayo a few times by whisking together soy milk, oil, lemon juice and a pinch of salt with a hand-held blender. Every time it turns out quite liquid, more like a dressing than a mayonnaise. What could I be doing wrong? Should the milk be room temperature or cold? And what should be the oil/milk ratio? And for how long should I whisk it?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

A quick google of 'vegan mayo' suggests either more oil or more blending.

1 cup unrefined sunflower oil (220 g)
    1/2 cup unsweetened soy milk (120 ml)
    2 tsp apple cider vinegar
    Sea salt to taste

Normal mayo is perfectly vegetarian, if you eat eggs.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I know, but I had none in the house (my hen is broody). :)

Thanks for that, Kylith.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

It really depends on getting the proportions right, if you experiment with the amounts you should get something perfect really fast, a few seconds. Youtube should have a few examples although you may have looked already! Btw a touch of mustard is fantastic.

If that is not working out for you then try using aquafaba (the liquid from cans of legumes) which is perfect for this. It takes a bit longer to blend it though as you are whipping it up.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Thanks Tar. I added plenty more oil, a basil leaf, some powdered garlic and proper balsamic vinegar and blended it for a minute or two at full speed, and it turned out lovely.

Would I also need to use oil, with the aquafaba, or just whip it by itself?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Yeah you would need oil, here's an example https://minimalistbaker.com/easy-vegan-mayo-with-aquafaba/
    Minimalist baker is a great site in general.

• Advertisement

Thank you. :)

No problem, when you get the hang of it it just takes a minute and is so cheap! I never buy the stuff any more.

Advertisement