Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Deirdre Jacob missing twenty years Today.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Sofi1 wrote: »
    Yes, but Deirdre would have had to know them well to get in a car with them. I think her circle of friends was almost all female. Maybe she would have gotten in a car with a male relative or neighbour, but for what reason? If, as you're suggesting, she went into her house, would she not have dropped her bag in the house, or changed her shoes, or created some trace of being there? Anything is possible of course, but not probable.

There was traces of her being there. She had been in the house all morning by herself before heading into town. The traces cannot be distinguished by the time of day they were made

As the article above shows, she seems to have very possibly gotten a lift into town earlier that day and whoever gave her it has never come forward. You have to admit that's a red flag! Who wouldn't come forward to help this family??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,266 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I'd be reluctant to believe a criminal confession after the trevor dealy situation last year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 635 ✭✭✭jonbravo

I want to believe it, as at least it promises some sort of answer, albeit a terrible one. The prisoner probably didn't have much to gain by saying it, but still, there's a skepticism there for me.

Who was Larry Murphy working for at the time!?
    I've always been of the opinion...
    That one of his co workers might be involved.
    I find it very hard to believe a women can disappear in the blink of an eye by the hand,of just one person.
    A couple or group she may/may not of known.

Ande1975 wrote: »
    Sorry, in what way? In that LM was living nearby?

Yes, Baltinglass is only 6.5 miles from Moone

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ande1975

jonbravo wrote: »
    Who was Larry Murphy working for at the time!?
    I've always been of the opinion...
    That one of his co workers might be involved.
    I find it very hard to believe a women can disappear in the blink of an eye by the hand,of just one person.
    A couple or group she may/may not of known.

From what I read, LM was self employed. Would go into towns looking for jobs. He was a loner so I guess, he'd work with some lads for a bit and move on or just work by himself. He abducted the business woman in Carlow by himself.
    There was something about a connection with John Crear or something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,020 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I'd be reluctant to believe a criminal confession after the trevor dealy situation last year

One of the the issues might be that sometimes criminals tell lies to people and the person coming forward beloved them.

From what I read, LM was self employed. Would go into towns looking for jobs. He was a loner so I guess, he'd work with some lads for a bit and move on or just work by himself. He abducted the business woman in Carlow by himself.
    There was something about a connection with John Crear or something

Depends on the project he was working on... (LM)If multiple houses in on area could of taken time! Time enough to get to know victims by chance or by fate.
    If indeed her sole friends were female... Then connections need to be addressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Which could lead you to believe that at the entrance of her home she got into the car of someone she knew. Hardly a stranger. Otherwise she was taken in broad daylight against her will. Murphy seemed to be a bit more calculating than that.

I presume her family home is located in a quiet, rural area. She was abducted/disappeared around 2 p.m., a quiet time of day. It would have been entirely possible for an abductor - having previously staked out the area - to have taken her suddenly without being noticed by either local residents or passers-by.

The first thing Larry Murphy did to his victim was smash her nose in with his fist... That should tell you how quickly he works...

There have been conflicting statements about where and what time Deirdre was last seen.
    Latest is on the grass verge of a road facing her house. Her father said is was a busy road but at 3pm end of July would it be with schools off?
    If LM's drunken proposed reveal is to be believed, it sort of fits but she must have screamed and would have been heard?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,319 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I would think whoever took Deirdre would have been very familiar with Newbridge and all the roads in the area.

If you were going to abduct someone, you wouldn't go to a place you didn't know and weren't familiar with. You would be way outside your comfort zone and could easily get lost, increasing your chances of getting caught.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Ande1975 wrote:
    Does anyone put any stock in the prisoners statement about the drunken fuelled suggested admission?

Ande1975 wrote:
    I find it difficult to dismiss

The new information regarding the whereabouts of Trevor Deely came from a criminal source but was regarded as compelling enough for the Gardai to undertake an exhaustive search which yielded precisely nothing. Such intelligence sources tend not to be the most reliable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Strazdas wrote: »
    I would think whoever took Deirdre would have been very familiar with Newbridge and all the roads in the area.

If you were going to abduct someone, you wouldn't go to a place you didn't know and weren't familiar with. You would be way outside your comfort zone and could easily get lost, increasing your chances of getting caught.

Exactly. And a strange face would stand out more than someone you see around the area a bit.

Why did she Use/carry the bag she used that day!?
    I mean was it stylish for the time!?
    Thinking allowed...is all

Ok college books..!?
    Was she selling something to pay for college!?
    Helping a friend in need!?
    How often was this bag used when heading to town!?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Sofi1

Laois_Man wrote: »
    There was traces of her being there. She had been in the house all morning by herself before heading into town. The traces cannot be distinguished by the time of day they were made

As the article above shows, she seems to have very possibly gotten a lift into town earlier that day and whoever gave her it has never come forward. You have to admit that's a red flag! Who wouldn't come forward to help this family??

They knew the clothes and shoes she'd worn and the bag she was carrying. If she'd come back in, it's possible she could have changed or left any of the above behind, or evening something like a receipt. A lot of traces could give a time stamp. Did she have lunch, would she have washed a plate and cup and left it on a draining board. Was bread missing, that sort of thing. Breakfast would have left a different trace, for example.

I'm inclined not to think she got a lift earlier. Would she not have mentioned something like that to her granny? That's the sort of chit-chat you'd have with your granny.
    I do wonder if she didn't appear on any street CCTV before her walk home, but I think it could be possible that she walked in to town via the back street, where there might not have been CCTV at the time.

I wonder would you notice a car following you on that stretch of road near her house.
    Of the 25 min walk, how much of it is on a busy vs quiet road.

jonbravo wrote: »
    Why did she Use/carry the bag she used that day!?
    I mean was it stylish for the time!?
    Thinking allowed...is all

Ok college books..!?
    Was she selling something to pay for college!?
    Helping a friend in need!?
    How often was this bag used when heading to town!?

Those cross-body messenger bag were all the rage at the time, and the CAT brand was popular too, although mainly for shoes. i had a similar one I used as a schoolbag, loads of people had them. Iirc, teenagers carried biggish utility-type bags a lot at that time for some reason, and not just for school. God know what crap we carried in them!

Those cross-body messenger bag were all the rage at the time, and the CAT brand was popular too, although mainly for shoes. i had a similar one I used as a schoolbag, loads of people had them. Iirc, teenagers carried biggish utility-type bags a lot at that time for some reason, and not just for school. God know what crap we carried in them!

That's right! I used to have a backpack or a utility bag instead of a handbag for years. Talk about a blast from the past!

I wonder would you notice a car following you on that stretch of road near her house.
    Of the 25 min walk, how much of it is on a busy vs quiet road.

I'd say about 60/70% of it at the time was footpath and past shops, houses and housing estates, out past Newbridge College and eventually petering out into a more scattered rural landscape with a bungalows in a few clutches. Deirdre would basically have been following the direction of the Liffey out of Newbridge, but mostly not actually near the river.

They knew the clothes and shoes she'd worn and the bag she was carrying. If she'd come back in, it's possible she could have changed or left any of the above behind, or evening something like a receipt. A lot of traces could give a time stamp. Did she have lunch, would she have washed a plate and cup and left it on a draining board. Was bread missing, that sort of thing. Breakfast would have left a different trace, for example.

I'm inclined not to think she got a lift earlier. Would she not have mentioned something like that to her granny? That's the sort of chit-chat you'd have with your granny.
    I do wonder if she didn't appear on any street CCTV before her walk home, but I think it could be possible that she walked in to town via the back street, where there might not have been CCTV at the time.

Yet several people witnessed her walk home from town and not a soul saw her walking into town?

I'm not aware of any CCTV that caught her either walking home or walking into town. Any CCTV I know of was from Newbridge town center.

• Advertisement

One question I'd have is how the abductor managed to subdue Deirdre while driving in broad daylight. Was she sitting in the passenger seat beside him? Did he imprison her in the boot?

In the case of Jastine Valdez, the abductor didn't actually manage to subdue her and people were aware what happened and rang Gardai.

One question I'd have is how the abductor managed to subdue Deirdre while driving in broad daylight. Was she sitting in the passenger seat beside him? Did he imprison her in the boot?

In the case of Jastine Valdez, the abductor didn't actually manage to subdue her and people were aware what happened and rang Gardai.

I mentioned that earlier... Larry Murphys first contact with his victim was to smash her nose in...the abduction would take seconds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

Not referencing this case but in the general it is certainly possible to abduct someone in broad daylight and has been done plenty and often. If you strike somebody hard(with or without an implement) they are disoriented and disabled long enough for you to either strike again or begin binding and gagging them. Throw them in the boot or the floor of a car or van. The perpetrator is obviously exposed for the 30 seconds or minute it takes to do that. But if they're not unlucky. The goal of the abductor in this situation is just to get close enough to the victim.
    Thankfully such events and people are rare.

Are Am Eye wrote: »
    Not referencing this case but in the general it is certainly possible to abduct someone in broad daylight and has been done plenty and often. If you strike somebody hard(with or without an implement) they are disoriented and disabled long enough for you to either strike again or begin binding and gagging them. Throw them in the boot or the floor of a car or van. The perpetrator is obviously exposed for the 30 seconds or minute it takes to do that. But if they're not unlucky. The goal of the abductor in this situation is just to get close enough to the victim.
    Thankfully such events and people are rare.

Very rare thankfully. The chances of being abducted and murdered in Ireland by a random maniac are several million to one - there have been only a miniscule number of such cases since Deirdre went missing.

A few times reading through boards, you get posters who live in the locality of Baltinglass or Carlow etc who can comment on what's going on in the grapevine which is great. Does anyone from Newbridge have a feeling of who could be responsible?

A few times reading through boards, you get posters who live in the locality of Baltinglass or Carlow etc who can comment on what's going on in the grapevine which is great. Does anyone from Newbridge have a feeling of who could be responsible?

I often wondered this as well.

I wouldn't be a million miles away from where Tina Satchwell is from and the vibe you get locally is kind of different to the one on here and you'd know more about the people etc.

I often wondered this as well.

I wouldn't be a million miles away from where Tina Satchwell is from and the vibe you get locally is kind of different to the one on here and you'd know more about the people etc.

In what way?... I'm from West wicklow and work in carlow... In work Larry is known as "your mate" :)

That's right! I used to have a backpack or a utility bag instead of a handbag for years. Talk about a blast from the past!

When I think about it, we probably had more stuff to carry than a teenager today? If you had a discman or walkman (were they on the way out then?), you needed CDs or tapes with you. You might want to carry a magazine or book to read at some stage in the day if you had to wait somewhere, no smartphone to stare at!

Laois_Man wrote: »
    I'm not aware of any CCTV that caught her either walking home or walking into town. Any CCTV I know of was from Newbridge town center.

CCTV on the main street recorded her walking in the direction of home, going down the street at 2.35pm. The video was taken from Irish Permanent's cameras. Irish Permanent (now Permanent TSB) aren't based there anymore, and I can't remember where that was in the town at the time, maybe across from the Garda Station or the Riverbank theatre at the bottom end of the main street.

But I've never heard of CCTV recording her going up the street earlier. Maybe she didn't go up the main street, there are other routes up to AIB, which I think was her first stop.

I'm from the Newbridge area. Pretty much everyone thinks LM.

• Advertisement

In what way?... I'm from West wicklow and work in carlow... In work Larry is known as "your mate" :)

I'd know what Tina's family would be like in general and what is said in the area.

I'd know what Tina's family would be like in general and what is said in the area.

Larry is disowned by family

Larry is disowned by family

I think his brother went on TV and said this a few years ago!

I think his brother went on TV and said this a few years ago!

Yes, and he was left out of his mother's death notice earlier this year, which is kind of a big thing.

I haven't followed the Tina Satchwell story as closely. It would be interesting to know what the feeling is like in Youghal.

I lived in North Kildare a few years before LM was release. I think it was a car journey with friends from the area to see Dolly that I learned about him and the missing girls. A friend said that it was well known in the area that he was behind some of the disappearences.

It points towards him alright, more concidences but completely understand Deirdre's parents wanting to keep an open mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Very rare thankfully. The chances of being abducted and murdered in Ireland by a random maniac are several million to one - there have been only a miniscule number of such cases since Deirdre went missing.
    Could it be a case of her being knocked down and killed by a car. The driver panics and puts the body in the boot of the car and heads for a boghole in the Bog of Allen?

• Advertisement

Id say he done JoJo too. Dissappeared in much the ssme circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

Sofi1 wrote:
    Yes, and he was left out of his mother's death notice earlier this year, which is kind of a big thing.

He visited her in hospital and went to the funeral home late at night when she died. A few people have seen him at the grave also if you can believe that. Many people who worked on sites in Carlow Wicklow area at the time would know him or worked with him. I worked on 3 sites with him.

iano.p wrote: »
    He visited her in hospital and went to the funeral home late at night when she died. A few people have seen him at the grave also if you can believe that. Many people who worked on sites in Carlow Wicklow area at the time would know him or worked with him. I worked on 3 sites with him.

I saw the RIP.ie notice and he wasn't listed which is fair enough. Is he still in the country? Did you get to know him?

Don't want to be intrusive, sorry

Id say he done JoJo too. Dissappeared in much the ssme circumstances.

Don't think so it's known locally who done it. The garda just can't prove it.

Yeh but that is all conjecture and here say and we all know how stories grow legs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,641 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

You mean the locals "suspect" someone.
    Obviously they have no proof.

Ande1975 wrote:
    I saw the RIP.ie notice and he wasn't listed which is fair enough. Is he still in the country? Did you get to know him?

I worked as a carpenter so would have worked on crews with him. He was odd but nothing outta the blue. I would have known his wife so would have some what known each other. Strange twist we both know the hunters who found him that night too

Sofi1 is from Newbridge and says most think its LM. I've heard that too.
    Is there another possibility?

Sofi1 is from Newbridge and says most think its LM. I've heard that too.
    Is there another possibility?

Yes. More than likely it was Larry but also could have been anyone. John crerar for dxample.

I think I read (again somewhere on boards ) that there was a connection between LM and John Crerar.

I'd say those hunters never got over that night. Its the stuff of nightmares.
    Hope LM's wife has moved on.

I lived in North Kildare a few years before LM was release. I think it was a car journey with friends from the area to see Dolly that I learned about him and the missing girls. A friend said that it was well known in the area that he was behind some of the disappearences.

It points towards him alright, more concidences but completely understand Deirdre's parents wanting to keep an open mind.

I wonder have Deirdre's parents been advised by Gardai to mention that there may be other culprits/explanations. Just so it's not seen as a fait accompli and people neglect to disclose some small detail that might be helpful?

Obviously nobody locally thought it was him before he attacked the woman in Carlow, he was unknown then, of course. But there was just nothing, nothing at all to explain Deirdre's disappearance. Nobody was arrested or questioned afaik, there was no other suspect prior to LM. When it was know what he did and how he did it, it seemed to explain how and why a young woman could disappear into thin air. We could be talking about the Carlow lady in the past tense if she wasn't able to somehow get the strength to fight LM a bit, and then of course, the two hunters landed on the scene. When it emerged that he had connections to Newbridge, that convinced most people, for right or for wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

I think I read (again somewhere on boards ) that there was a connection between LM and John Crerar.

It was established that they knew each other.

I worked as a carpenter so would have worked on crews with him. He was odd but nothing outta the blue. I would have known his wife so would have some what known each other. Strange twist we both know the hunters who found him that night too[/QUOTE

Where was this (LM) wife from!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Are Am Eye wrote: »
    It was established that they knew each other.

Who is John crear?

Yes. More than likely it was Larry but also could have been anyone. John crerar for dxample.

John Crerar knew Phyllis, they lived in the same estate in Kildare town, and she'd babysat his children. She probably willingly took a lift from him from the bus stop, he didn't have to drag her into the car. He was in his 50s when Deirdre disappeared. At that stage in his life would he have the recklessness and strength to forcibly abduct a woman he didn't know?

• Advertisement
Advertisement