Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker **Spoilers from post 2076**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Total flop and a financial loss for Disney
    Original size here (2400*1631):
    https://media.vanityfair.com/photos/5ce426151c0b0773cacd1121/original/original/star-wars-feature-vf-2019-summer-embed-05.jpg

Almost looks like their attention is not on each other.

Can't tell what ship.. is there a clue? could be death star.. could be the falcon.. could be any other ship from what I can tell

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Keep in mind these are on set photos taken (and manipulated) by Vanity Fair, not stills. Their TFA and TLJ photos were all staged and contained poses and moments that weren’t in the films.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Slydice wrote: »
    Original size here (2400*1631):
    https://media.vanityfair.com/photos/5ce426151c0b0773cacd1121/original/original/star-wars-feature-vf-2019-summer-embed-05.jpg

Almost looks like their attention is not on each other.

Can't tell what ship.. is there a clue? could be death star.. could be the falcon.. could be any other ship from what I can tell

It does look like something's been obviously digitally removed from the photo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Runaway hit highest gross beating The force Awakens
    Lithium93_ wrote: »
    It does look like something's been obviously digitally removed from the photo.

Teaming up against Palpatine somehow? But the previous poster is right. These pics aren’t in the film it seems from looking at previous shoots

• Registered Users Posts: 19,298 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

pixelburp wrote: »
    Richard E Grant is a fine actor, but he's more than happy to chew the scenery when he wants to; the First Order have scarcely been models of restraint, so I expect Grant to be in full blown snarling, megalomaniacal mode

Withnail in space.

• Advertisement

Tony EH wrote: »
    Withnail in space.

We’ve gone on a mission to take over the galaxy by mistake

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Withnail in space.
    I demand to have more blue milk!

That pic of the horse thingys looks like a load of balls.

If nothing else, Grant being in this will hopefully bring about endless withnail memes. But minced Star Wars. Careful what I hope for though also.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭brevity

“Are you the Jedi?”

• Registered Users Posts: 11,360 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Seeing kylos light saber with the nonsense of the extra bits on the hilt makes me look forward to seeing how they try to jazz up the light saber this time? Maybe someone has one that spins like a Catherine wheel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Daxve

salmocab wrote: »
    Seeing kylos light saber with the nonsense of the extra bits on the hilt makes me look forward to seeing how they try to jazz up the light saber this time? Maybe someone has one that spins like a Catherine wheel.

:D it's been done already the Inquisitors in Rebels have light saber staffs that spin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Relikk

Daxve wrote: »
    :D it's been done already the Inquisitors in Rebels have light saber staffs that spin

Aye, the Heli-saber debacle.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭geecee

Wonder will Richard E. Grant play Hux's father, back from retirement to sort his son out!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,632 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

geecee wrote: »
    Wonder will Richard E. Grant play Hux's father, back from retirement to sort his son out!

Haha that would be great

Or he could play a space version of his character from “can you ever forgive me”. Now that would be inventive!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Palpatine's head is obviously going to sprout from a boil on his shoulder.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Quite a lot of digital manipulation of Fisher going on.

(TFA above / TROS below)

481011.jpg

Quite a lot of digital manipulation of Fisher going on.

(TFA above / TROS below)

481011.jpg

Better they did this than recast or use a CGI version no?
    Could not omit her in any way so it is only fitting they do this in my view.

As I've said before, the problem of Fisher's death was easy to address:

Opening crawl: "General Leia has died"
    First scene: Her funeral in which her death acts as the spark for the events of the film.

Writing the film around the need to reuse old footage of her face CGI'd into a different body/environment is something I remain extremely sceptical about.

I had the same thoughts. But she will barely be in it I would say.
    She will the the impetus and bring allies in it could be? Cannot see her being involved more than in the previous two films. She was present but not all that important.

As I've said before, the problem of Fisher's death was easy to address:

Opening crawl: "General Leia has died"
    First scene: Her funeral in which her death acts as the spark for the events of the film.

Writing the film around the need to reuse old footage of her face CGI'd into a different body/environment is something I remain extremely sceptical about.

Aye. This really should have been the way to address the problem. If not actually editing 'The Last Jedi' to have her die with Kylo's attack before it was released in the first place. After she does her Mary Poppins act, she really didn't have that much of a part to play. I've even seen fan edits where she's been excised after her "death" in space and they worked relatively well.

While I couldn't care less about Ep.IX, I'm still mildly curious as to how they're going to deal with Leia in this movie. but looking at the example above - I know it's early doors yet - it doesn't look good, at least in that scene.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Aye. This really should have been the way to address the problem. If not actually editing 'The Last Jedi' to have her die with Kylo's attack before it was released in the first place. After she does her Mary Poppins act, she really didn't have that much of a part to play. I've even seen fan edits where she's been excised after her "death" in space and they worked relatively well.

Please stop reminding me of that awful scene! :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,527 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I presume Leia will be around long enough to be killed by whatever main threat is in this film: either Kylo doing the deed or some new merchandisable enemy of the First Order. I suspect it won't be Kylo, given he seems conflicted enough that taking another swipe at matricide could be a step too far; and if it's someone new, it gives the writers an out to further push Kylo into his own personal faction.

If they brought Fisher back just to kill her for dramatic purposes I'll be pissed tbh. The only way I can accept CGI-augmented Leia is if she gets a happy ending.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,527 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

If they brought Fisher back just to kill her for dramatic purposes I'll be pissed tbh. The only way I can accept CGI-augmented Leia is if she gets a happy ending.

True, I suppose they could just sideline her from the story - sending the gang on their quest while she tends to the garden - only to return in the third act when all is right with the world; CGI Leia hugs Rey, tears are shed, fanfares blare etc.

Abrams likes drama though and my worry is that Leia, or rather her demise, is used as a torch. Hell if I had to write Episode IX I'd be hard pressed to avoid that. It's a very easy, tempting, natural dramatic pivot.

Please stop reminding me of that awful scene! :o

Apologies.

Maybe think of another scene from the film?

Um....perhaps, Luke disappearing cos he used too much force?

Actually, no, forget it.

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Cryptopagan

True, I suppose they could just sideline her from the story - sending the gang on their quest while she tends to the garden - only to return in the third act when all is right with the world; CGI Leia hugs Rey, tears are shed, fanfares blare etc.

Abrams likes drama though and my worry is that Leia, or rather her demise, is used as a torch. Hell if I had to write Episode IX I'd be hard pressed to avoid that. It's a very easy, tempting, natural dramatic pivot.

She has to show up for the “turns out you were my daughter all along” bit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

brevity wrote: »
    “Are you the Jedi?”

"We want the finest wines known in the galaxy".

Don’t see it mentioned but he looks alive and well. This was part of that vanity fair reveal.
    Maybe Hamill wasn’t joking when he said he hopes Luke just force teleported elsewhere? This looks like it’s from the other film but it’s in this feature they put out

Luke-Skywalker-and-R2-D2-in-Star-Wars-The-Rise-of-Skywalker.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&w=963

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

The obvious solution is to have her die early and maybe her death to be a catalyst for a rebel resurgence. Better that, that have digital Leia popping up throughout taking us out of the movie as we scrutinise the CGI.

And don't make her a force ghost sitting with Luke and the gang when she was never a Jedi!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Total flop and a financial loss for Disney

Maybe if Kylo gets a happy ending he will stop being so angry.

Advertisement