Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker **Spoilers from post 2076**

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Runaway hit highest gross beating The force Awakens
    Never thought of that. ET is packed with suspense too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Wasn't the whole thing around the Force Awakens that they were using a lot of old school practical effects and less reliant on cgi?

py2006 wrote: »
    Wasn't the whole thing around the Force Awakens that they were using a lot of old school practical effects and less reliant on cgi?

Yeah. ‘Real sets. Practical effects’. And they did. There is tons of CGI in force awakens. But you’d be hard pressed to spot it. The opening shot of bb8 seeing the shuttles come down is 100% cgi and you’d never be able to to tell.

Here’s the sizzle real way before release where they go on about it being real sets practical effects
    *haha. Didn’t realise it’s was mark hammill saying it. Too funny

• Registered Users Posts: 19,298 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

The CGI isn't that hard to spot.

The Millennium Falcon crashing through a load of trees and not being torn to shreds can only be CGI, because it's so bloody stupid looking. Ditto with it bouncing itself off of the ground on Jakku and not being bothered in the slightest, when it should be brought to an abrupt halt in the sand.

Poe's X Wing having all the weight of an amoeba, as he pulls impossible G's and shoots down a whole squadron of TIE fighters also stinks of a computer animator who has no clue about basic physics.

And the less said about those awful rathars (or whatever they're called) the better.

The CGI may look a bit more accomplished than the stuff from 20 years ago in the prequels, but it's nonetheless obvious if you know what to look for.

I forgot about the rathtars. Still wasn’t bad cgi. Just an awful idea. Men in Black monster in a way. Star Wars always has that monster moment though. The ice beast thing in empire and the rancour in return of the Jedi.
    You’re right though. It’s far better accomplished cgi. That x wing tie fighter battle could have had more weight definitely. But being intercut with what’s happening on the ground maybe is responsible? Falcon getting bashed around is also a stupid premise but it didn’t look crap I don’t think
    To be fair there was massive amounts of sets and models built for the prequels too. That city on nabboo in the phantom menace was a huge model they built and had interchangeable parts so the towers and stuff looked different each side could be turned around for a different shot. Too bad they went overkill with the cgi on the rest

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,444 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The problem with the prequels’ CG isn’t that the tech was comparatively primitive, which it of course was. It’s that George Lucas both used it excessively and had no sense of how to direct the drama to mask or integrate the CG. There are a lot of lifeless sequences that just have actors clearly standing or acting in front of a green screen. This is a good example:

I mean shaky cam can be the bloody devil but sure as hell could have used some in that nasty shot-reverse shot conversation between Dooku and Windu :pac:

Pay attention to how many shots are fairly static ones of actors just doing some stunt in front of a green screen. It’s a frigid, uninteresting visual style that merely serves to amplify how artificial everything is. The Hobbit had a similar problem even with a more dynamic visual style. They go so far with green screen that everything seems unmoored or false. It’s essential to build a world that has some sense of tangible physicality even when you’re going to inevitably breach real world rules or show fantastical places. In both trilogies Jackson and Lucas simply fail to conjure up an even remotely believable world.

The key is simply to get the balance right. There are definitely thousands of CG elements in the new Star Wars films. But equally there are a lot of physical sets, more ‘grounded’ visual ideas and directors who know how to more elegantly integrate the various visual elements at play. It doesn’t always work by any stretch, and there are quite a few iffy shots across the new films that feel ‘off’. But visually they’re a world apart from the prequels: not just because of CG, but because they aren’t flatly directed.

The problem with the prequels’ CG isn’t that the tech was comparatively primitive, which it of course was. It’s that George Lucas both used it excessively and had no sense of how to direct the drama to mask or integrate the CG. There are a lot of lifeless sequences that just have actors clearly standing or acting in front of a green screen. This is a good example:

I mean shaky cam can be the bloody devil but sure as hell could have used some in that nasty shot-reverse shot conversation between Dooku and Windu :pac:

Pay attention to how many shots are fairly static ones of actors just doing some stunt in front of a green screen. It’s a frigid, uninteresting visual style that merely serves to amplify how artificial everything is. The Hobbit had a similar problem even with a more dynamic visual style. They go so far with green screen that everything seems unmoored or false. It’s essential to build a world that has some sense of tangible physicality even when you’re going to inevitably breach real world rules or show fantastical places. In both trilogies Jackson and Lucas simply fail to conjure up an even remotely believable world.

The key is simply to get the balance right. There are definitely thousands of CG elements in the new Star Wars films. But equally there are a lot of physical sets, more ‘grounded’ visual ideas and directors who know how to more elegantly integrate the various visual elements at play. It doesn’t always work by any stretch, and there are quite a few iffy shots across the new films that feel ‘off’. But visually they’re a world apart from the prequels: not just because of CG, but because they aren’t flatly directed.

Lucas didn’t do moving shots. The camera was always ways static. Camera doesn’t move once in the whole original trilogy. Was that just the done thing at the time though? I think so

Early concept art for force awakens art book had Rey swimming in the emperors throne room. Looking for what we don’t know. Looks like Palpatine was truly always part of the plan
    Now it seems we might get this shot.

nuk9ll37cvr21.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,444 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Lucas didn’t do moving shots. The camera was always ways static. Camera doesn’t move once in the whole original trilogy. Was that just the done thing at the time though? I think so

I have no problem with a lack of moving shots, many of my favourite films involve reasonably static shots that don’t move for minutes at a time :pac: And there’s a clear sense of style and purpose to many of the shots in a New Hope when the camera’s still. There’s simply no purpose or motivation behind so many of Lucas’ decisions in the prequel films, though. Just point the camera at the action and that’s it. While there may have been technical reasons behind that to some degree, it’s still dull to watch.

I have no problem with a lack of moving shots, many of my favourite films involve reasonably static shots that don’t move for minutes at a time :pac: And there’s a clear sense of style and purpose to many of the shots in a New Hope when the camera’s still. There’s simply no purpose or motivation behind so many of Lucas’ decisions in the prequel films, though. Just point the camera at the action and that’s it. While there may have been technical reasons behind that to some degree, it’s still dull to watch.

No camera action and none In front of it.
    Thankfully the clone wars is there to fill it out. That series has the storytelling and elements the prequels should have had.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

There are moving shots in the OT just not a lot in the Lucas films. It's not really his style, but I thought he loosened up in the prequels, though mainly with the CGI shots. TESB has plenty of moving shots and is stylistically very different from the other 5 films.

I actually like Lucas's rather simple visual style. I wish JJ emulated it more because his own style frequently resembles a terrible mishmash of Spielberg and Michael Bay.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,525 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Wedwood wrote: »
    Oops, I’ve upset a spoiler it seems.🙊

Regarding your earlier post, Abrams is the new Spielberg, just as Spielberg was the new Hitchcock. (For younger viewers, Hitchcock was known as the master of suspense, Spielberg inherited that mantle after Duel/Jaws/Close Encounters).

Spielberg turned down Return of the Jedi, so in a way we’ll finally get to see a ‘Spielbergesque’ conclusion to the saga.

I've defended Abrams before, he manages to turn the screw emotionally with some skill, albeit superficially, but he's no Spielberg.

He WANTS to be Spielberg, and it comes across with said splashy superficiality, but IMO misses the honesty and heart of Speilbergs works.

There are moving shots in the OT just not a lot in the Lucas films. It's not really his style, but I thought he loosened up in the prequels, though mainly with the CGI shots. TESB has plenty of moving shots and is stylistically very different from the other 5 films.

I actually like Lucas's rather simple visual style. I wish JJ emulated it more because his own style frequently resembles a terrible mishmash of Spielberg and Michael Bay.

Top of my head there’s only one shot in all the originals where the camera moves to follow the action. Speeder bike chase on endor. Other than that it’s always static. It doesn’t have to move the action is right there on screen , we just have a new style now as you mentioned in modern cinema that allowed it to happen. Thanks to Lucas in many ways in terms of how innovative and groundbreaking all the methods used were. But he himself didn’t use them. Even in the prequels.

*might be one left to right shot of Anakin on the speeder going to kill the local pikeys in attack of the clones but no way I’m watching that **** ever again

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Top of my head there’s only one shot in all the originals where the camera moves to follow the action. Speeder bike chase on endor. Other than that it’s always static. It doesn’t have to move the action is right there on screen , we just have a new style now as you mentioned in modern cinema that allowed it to happen. Thanks to Lucas in many ways in terms of how innovative and groundbreaking all the methods used were. But he himself didn’t use them. Even in the prequels.

*might be one left to right shot of Anakin on the speeder going to kill the local pikeys in attack of the clones but no way I’m watching that **** ever again

There's a lot more than a few moving shots in the OT. Pick almost any scene in TESB and the camera moves to follow the action.

There's a lot more than a few moving shots in the OT. Pick almost any scene in TESB and the camera moves to follow the action.

Can’t think of any but I won’t dispute it.
    Painfully, the last Jedi is the most beautifully shot of them all.
    Can only hope Abrams realises that and wants to go next level.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Anakin on the speeder going to kill the local pikeys
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,298 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

pixelburp wrote: »
    I've defended Abrams before, he manages to turn the screw emotionally with some skill, albeit superficially, but he's no Spielberg.

He WANTS to be Spielberg, and it comes across with said splashy superficiality, but IMO misses the honesty and heart of Speilbergs works.

Yeh, was going to post pretty much the same thing. Abrams is just a copycat magpie. He can emulate Spielberg, but he hasn't even a quarter of his talent as a film maker.

He can manage to string some scenes together, but none of it has any heart behind it. It's just a lot of soulless visuals traced from an a 1980's predecessor. He's the absolute epitome of a corporate machine director.

Actually, in about a decade, there'll probably be an algorithm written that can do exactly what he does and some in the audience wouldn't know the difference.

Dades wrote: »
    :D

I couldn’t remember what they’re called :)
    That scene with his ma dying is probably the only thing I remember about it. It should have been developed more rather than the crap tantrum he has about it after.

Ps-they do actually have pikes though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Total flop and a financial loss for Disney

Wow. YouTube video says Star Wars is doomed. Star Wars must be doomed.

Did you go looking for those a**holes or did they strangely find you somehow?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Also Forbes article is saying that it might not top the Lion King. Which is expected to make 1.4 billion globally. Frozen II and The Last Jedi will be out at same time and will hit each other in terms of younger demographics. So more just a potential logical hit.

There are a number of facts outlined in that video regardless of the asshole that uploaded it.:D

Trailer views well below those for The Lion King and The Last Jedi and The Force Awakens.
    Merchandise sales flat and still falling.
    The Theme park attraction at Disney a failure.

By the way the video does not say Star Wars is doomed if you watch it?:)

The poster makes a prediction that this movie will have at least twice the box office take of Solo and maybe as high as The Last Jedi so hardly doomed.

The video makes the point there is no excitement or buzz around this final episode of saga and I agree.

Remember the hype around The Force Awakens and even Rogue One?

Star Wars is not doomed by a long shot but the final part of this trilogy is not generating the excitement of either Return of the Jedi or Revenge of the Sith.

I am hopeful for the new trilogy about the Old Republic but as regards this trilogy I will go to see The Rise of Skywalker just to be done with it.

As a film fan I have seen a few franchises hit the rocks many even before the internet.;)

Superman IV The Quest for a Script
    Alien 3
    Star Trek V The Final Insult
    Jaws The Revenge
    Highlander 2
    Speed 2
    The Exorcist 2
    The Matrix sequels
    Terminator 3 and beyond
    Batman and Robin
    The Man with the Golden Gun

Star Wars is the big one here I loved the originals and I really enjoyed the prequels and I hope to see it come back strong again like Batman did with the Christopher Nolan Trilogy.

The Force Awakens was really meh I did not like it nor did I get caught up in the hype I enjoyed Rogue One and The Last Jedi was the chance to put some meat on the bones of the Sequel trilogy and it failed.
    Solo was ok noting special.

Star Wars in not doomed it has had a bumpy ride this last couple of years and I am sure it will get back on form again but as regards The Rise of Skywalker I HAVE A BAD FEELING ABOUT THIS.:D

By the way Forbes are the ones speculating possible disappointing returns for this upcoming film.

Anyway only four and a bit months until we all find out my GUESS if this movie will have the lowest box office of this trilogy.

Mark this post I will admit I was wrong if The Rise of the Assisted Walker is a run away box office hit.:)

Disgusting post:mad:

These people are an ethnic minority on Tatooine with their own distinct culture.
    The discrimination they face is terrible did you see even one of them get served in Mos Eisley Cantina?

And we also have the attack on the Jawas even Obi Wan said it.

It looks like the sand people did it but those tracks are side by side Sand People always ride single file to hide their numbers.
    It was the settled community causing trouble in the Cantina anyway Obi Wan kills one guy and chops off the others arm.

Han Solo was a scumbag he killed a guy in cold blood later propaganda tried to say the other guy shot first but we all know the truth.:P

Yeah I didnt read any of that.

You’re upset cos I said pikeys but you’re in other threads complaining that female characters and minorities are ruining films.

That’s really strange no?
    Ps. The film can make just ten bucks for all I care. As long as I like it I dont care how much it makes.
    You must be new to cinema if you think a films box office determines the films quality.
    We both know what’s happening here though.

Let’s just leave that there.

New beat theory is Rey goes back in time and becomes Schmi and gives birth to Anakin.

I do love theory season :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭tigger123

There's going to be no end of people trying to drag this movie down. It's already started before the release. YouTube is already packed full of d*ckheads hating a film they won't see for another 6 months.

I can't wait to see it though tbh. Really excited to see how it all comes to an end.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I just want a good movie.
    Thought The Force Awakens was amazing. Let down with The Last Jedi. It's not totally bad but not a great sequel. Just give me a good movie and a good close.

Gonna see it in the cinema so Disney already has my money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Yeah I didnt read any of that.

You’re upset cos I said pikeys but you’re in other threads complaining that female characters and minorities are ruining films.

If you did read it, you could tell he was blatantly joking :rolleyes::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

nix wrote: »
    If you did read it, you could tell he was blatantly joking :rolleyes::pac:

I would have thought the :p at the end was a giveaway, if there was any doubt.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

It was the settled community causing trouble in the Cantina anyway Obi Wan kills one guy and chops off the others arm.
    That's be the clergy thinking they're above the law as usual.

• Advertisement

Dades wrote: »
    That's be the clergy thinking they're above the law as usual.

Stormtroopers taking to the barman later asking what did he see.

Yes this holy man was with a young farm boy and these two dudes tried to rescue the boy but the crazy old holy man had some kind of strange weapon.
    I think he was with that scruffy guy who shot that green guy in the booth I think he had a wookie slave too.:eek:
    Anything else strange?
    Yes he tried to bring a couple stolen droids into the bar also I think the ones you guys are looking for.

Advertisement