Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker **Spoilers from post 2076**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Runaway hit highest gross beating The force Awakens
    There's no way that Landspeeder had a valid NCT either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

nix wrote: »
    If you did read it, you could tell he was blatantly joking :rolleyes::pac:

Following on from posting a YouTube video predicting a film that hasn’t come out yet is going to fail, sort of neuters any attempts at humour I reckon. Unless that video was joking too? Who knows. YouTubers generally don’t do satire videos do they?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,341 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Following on from posting a YouTube video predicting a film that hasn’t come out yet is going to fail, sort of neuters any attempts at humour I reckon. Unless that video was joking too? Who knows. YouTubers generally don’t do satire videos do they?

is anyone suggesting it will fail, assuming that means be a box office loss?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Total flop and a financial loss for Disney
    silverharp wrote: »

Star Wars has. a built in fanbase and regardless of what I am expecting for the box office of this new movie I will go and see the thing.

However I don't think the kinds are interested.

Chap on the previous page posted a video saying it would fail.
    I think he meant financially, I didn’t watch the video.
    If you need YouTube to make your points and predictions for you, you have bigger problems than a film you haven’t seen yet failing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

If you need YouTube to make your points and predictions for you, you have bigger problems than a film you haven’t seen yet failing.

Predicting a Star Wars film is not going to light the world on fire means I have big problems?:D

The video was backed up by solid data and it never said the film was going to fail.
    I followed Star Wars for many years I find this new Trilogy meh and many seem to agree.

This new film could be the best Star Wars film ever unlikely I know but so far nobody seems too excited lets be honest.

This movie will not fail it is Episode 9 for goodness sake it will make a profit but it will not be on the same level as Revenge of the Sith and Return of the Jedi.

I don't think anyone is suggesting it will lose money , more that the series will go out on a whimper. what problems do people have that watch Youtube videos? If these youtubers are any good then they are doing the geeking so others don’t have to.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Predicting a Star Wars film is not going to light the world on fire means I have big problems?:D

The video was backed up by sold data and it never said the film was going to fail.
    I followed Star Wars for many years I find this new Trilogy meh and many seem to agree.

This new film could be the best Star Wars film ever unlikely I know but so far nobody seems too excited lets be honest.

This movie will not fail it is Episode 9 for goodness sake it will make a profit but it will not we on the same level as Revenge of the Sith and Return of the Jedi.

Don’t get me started on the last one. It’s like watching a beloved son go on heroin and you love him but you kind of hate him too.

I’m not sure what ‘toy landfills’ have to do with anything? Kids don’t play with toys anymore. Apps and games and Something called fortnite has killed them all off.

Again, Don’t know what profit has to do with it? Return of the Jedi and revenge of the sith both made far less than the two films that came before them in their respective trilogies. That’s no reflection at all on either film. revenge of the sith was the best one of that trilogy and made less than its two other parts.

What happens to toys or consoles or indeed games for consoles and stuff when it hasnt sold or the line comes to an end? It’s not really landfill is it?

I’m not sure what ‘toy landfills’ have to do with anything? Kids don’t play with toys anymore. Apps and games and Something called fortnite has killed them all off.
    That's way too generalised to be accurate. How kids play depends on the age of the kids, the parenting, and other factors.

In our house since we saw Toy Story 4, Woody and the gang have been dragged out of retirement and played with non stop. The Xbox has a 2 month layer of dust on it.

When Star Wars comes out the Millenium Falcon will fly once more, and Santa will be lining Disney's pockets again. That said, I never had the Falcon when I was a kid so I'm happy now to indulge.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,298 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

^

That may be so, but the fact remains that Star Wars toy sales are down. Way down. Hasbro have said as much and Disney have had to abandon lines they thought would take off.

The likes of figures are now, almost, exclusively bought by adults (20+ to 40+) and the ones that sell the best are from the original trilogy. 2018 was one of the worst years for Hasbro's Star Wars figure lines. 'The Last Jedi' figures failed to excite and nobody gave a crap about 'Solo' and its figure sales reflected that. But, the OT stuff still sold well.

The main problem is, when the films are crap, nobody is that interested in buying the merchandise that promotes them.

• Advertisement

There’s rumbles of a huge multidisc boxset of all 9 films and loads of making of bonus content coming in May of next year, but in the mean time these are getting released next month (no 4k though somehow?) and with the Disney streaming service coming you’d have to wonder why, apart from the fact they’re uniform in presentation, and of course they’ll sell truckloads, why do this now?
    Are they going to just skip the 4k and go to 8k at this stage?
    I’ll wait for the big super deluxe one I think. Like the 80s VHS style art but not enough to splash out. Again.

https://twitter.com/jordanmaison/status/1159472965458759683
    https://twitter.com/jordanmaison/status/1159472645412478977
    https://twitter.com/jordanmaison/status/1159478602095845376

Dades wrote: »
    That's way too generalised to be accurate. How kids play depends on the age of the kids, the parenting, and other factors.

In our house since we saw Toy Story 4, Woody and the gang have been dragged out of retirement and played with non stop. The Xbox has a 2 month layer of dust on it.

When Star Wars comes out the Millenium Falcon will fly once more, and Santa will be lining Disney's pockets again. That said, I never had the Falcon when I was a kid so I'm happy now to indulge.

Funny you mention that. I have two young nephews who I know loved that Lego movie, I know for sure they love playing the Lego Star Wars game.
    I bought them Star Wars Lego last Christmas and they both looked at me like I’d given them polio :)

Tony EH wrote: »
    ^

That may be so, but the fact remains that Star Wars toy sales are down. Way down. Hasbro have said as much and Disney have had to abandon lines they thought would take off.

The likes of figures are now, almost, exclusively bought by adults (20+ to 40+) and the ones that sell the best are from the original trilogy. 2018 was one of the worst years for Hasbro's Star Wars figure lines. 'The Last Jedi' figures failed to excite and nobody gave a crap about 'Solo' and its figure sales reflected that. But, the OT stuff still sold well.

The main problem is, when the films are crap, nobody is that interested in buying the merchandise that promotes them.

Action figures sales might be down but the focus has shifted away from those as you say to pitch to middle aged people with money, to high end stuff from Sideshow collectibles and kotobukiya to cross over deals like these from Nissan. Who doesn’t want a Rogue one car? :)
    This is where the money is now and its a vast money spinner. The Luke / Kenobi figures is 1/6th scale and costs around €250 each. This is the market now. Not action figures.

nissan-rogue-star-wars-limited-edition.jpg.ximg.l_12_m.smart.jpg

star-wars-episode-viii-action-figure-16-luke-skywalker-crait-29cm-by-hot-toys.jpg

obi-wan-kenobi_star-wars_gallery_5c4ca17ec119c.jpg

This is where the money is now and its a vast money spinner.

No it isn't.

They are very much niche markets. They may cost a bomb, but the spread is very low.

Something like a 20 Euro 'Black Series' toy or the 'Vintage Collection' 3.75 brings in far more revenue than anything the likes of the more expensive Hot Toys line might.

But all those sales are down, because collectors don't have any connection to the movies, because they're rubbish.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,444 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

As someone who thinks TFA and TLJ are, respectively, real good and best film in the series...

Wouldn’t be going near Galaxy’s Edge.... until Rise of the Resistance opens. I do love a good theme park, and GE looks pretty great. But don’t know why I’d consider going now - even if I lived in the States - when I could just wait a few months and go when the main attraction opens. RoR sounds like a hell of a ride. It’s absurd to decry the park as a failure based on mildly underwhelming quarterly results that only encompass a month of the new and currently incomplete park.

Also as someone with a connection to the films, I don’t own any of the toys because I’m a grown man with no interest in plastic ****e (although, to unapologetically embrace my inner child, I’d by lying if I didn’t say those stupidly expensive custom Galaxy’s Edge lightsabers do look kinda great... so my wallet appreciates the fact you would never got one through customs :pac:).

Also also: evaluating films on the basis of financial performance is boring and we should all stop doing it :)

No it isn't.

They are very much niche markets. They may cost a bomb, but the spread is very low.

Something like a 20 Euro 'Black Series' toy or the 'Vintage Collection' 3.75 brings in far more revenue than anything the likes of the more expensive Hot Toys line might.

But all those sales are down, because collectors don't have any connection to the movies, because they're rubbish.

There’s hundreds possibly thousands of podcasts and collector podcasts specifically with massive audiences that disagree with you. I’m sure they’d like no connection (to their bank accounts especially) but I’m sorry, you’re wrong. This stuff is doing mad business. The next line for hasbro was announced at comic con few weeks back. If they weren’t making money, they wouldn’t continue making them. Here we are.

There’s hundreds possibly thousands of podcasts and collector podcasts specifically with massive audiences that disagree with you. I’m sure they’d like no connection (to their bank accounts especially) but I’m sorry, you’re wrong. This stuff is doing mad business. The next line for hasbro was announced at comic con few weeks back. If they weren’t making money, they wouldn’t continue making them. Here we are.

You believe what you want, I don't give a fuck, to be honest. I've no the dog in the race.

It would seem obvious that boys aren't going to buy Rose action figures and girls don't generally play with a action figures. I doubt the makers of Barbie sit around stressing how to market to the 50% untapped market

It's a pity they didn't go down the expanded universe route , it would have avoided screwing the unscrewable pooch

Funny you mention that. I have two young nephews who I know loved that Lego movie, I know for sure they love playing the Lego Star Wars game.
    I bought them Star Wars Lego last Christmas and they both looked at me like I’d given them polio :)
    :P

That's a parenting fail! I successfully indoctrinated my children from early on!

But you are right, insofar as kids in the 80s didn't all have consoles, iPods, YouTube etc, and so maybe practiced "imaginative play" longer. Older kids now (8, 9+?) have more distractions and that must hit toy sales.

Sadface for Disney. But they won't starve!

Can we talk about the absolute mental theory that
    Rey gets brought back in time and is actually Scmhi Skywalker and gives birth to Anakin? So she’s the chosen one in this time who goes back in time to give birth to the chosen one? Or something?

I mean it is one of those utterly ridiculous ideas that can often end up being destructive in the fandom but in a way it’s sort of brilliant because it’s so out there. And kind of ties in to JJ and the Lost of it all in a way.

• Advertisement

It would seem obvious that boys aren't going to buy Rose action figures and girls don't generally play with a action figures. I doubt the makers of Barbie sit around stressing how to market to the 50% untapped market

It's a pity they didn't go down the expanded universe route , it would have avoided screwing the unscrewable pooch

They have done official figures of EU/legends characters like Mara jade and darth revan. But they’re crazy limited edition and sometimes only available as convention exclusives. There’s a voting set up for it every year I think, fans can nominate any character they’d like to see made. But I’m not sure they go into big production for retail. Could be wrong.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Can we talk about the absolute mental theory that
    Rey gets brought back in time and is actually Scmhi Skywalker and gives birth to Anakin? So she’s the chosen one in this time who goes back in time to give birth to the chosen one? Or something?

I mean it is one of those utterly ridiculous ideas that can often end up being destructive in the fandom but in a way it’s sort of brilliant because it’s so out there. And kind of ties in to JJ and the Lost of it all in a way.

No, because it's utterly, unfailingly stupid :P and proof that fans might bring the energy to franchises, but there's a reason they're not professional screenwriters lol

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Those Youtubers get sent those figures for free, as the reviews are a super cheap form of advertising for the manufacturers. The average fan is not going to drop €400 a pop for a Hot Toys/Slideshow collectables figure.

They have done official figures of EU/legends characters like Mara jade and darth revan. But they’re crazy limited edition and sometimes only available as convention exclusives. There’s a voting set up for it every year I think, fans can nominate any character they’d like to see made. But I’m not sure they go into big production for retail. Could be wrong.

The Black Series tends to mine all aspects of the EU for models and pretty much any character to appear in the films,books,comics and games can be found at this stage. The main reason for this is that it's the only things the fans are buying due to the new trilogy being an absolute black hole when it comes to sales.

Venom wrote: »
    Those Youtubers get sent those figures for free, as the reviews are a super cheap form of advertising for the manufacturers. The average fan is not going to drop €400 a pop for a Hot Toys/Slideshow collectables figure.

The Black Series tends to mine all aspects of the EU for models and pretty much any character to appear in the films,books,comics and games can be found at this stage. The main reason for this is that it's the only things the fans are buying due to the new trilogy being an absolute black hole when it comes to sales.

It’s not been my experience. I listen to many Star Wars podcasts and good few are collector based, they go on constantly about all stuff and toys special releases etc from all elements and the new films they got, or more often, they can’t trackdown, and they definitely don’t get sent anything free. None of them.

YouTube is the big boy for now but the podcast sphere is already taking over in many ways. I avoid YouTube wherever possible. I care not two ****s why some moron with a camera in his bedrooms opinion is somehow more important than anyone else’s, it isn’t, and seeing people use these videos in any form to make their argument they’re unable to verbalise themselves is just lazy to be polite about it.

You mentioned the black series, I’d point to the ongoing success of that line for anyone saying sales are down. Those things aren’t cheap(€30 here I think?) and it’s been a continouous never ending stream of them with no end in sight any time soon.

pixelburp wrote: »
    No, because it's utterly, unfailingly stupid :P and proof that fans might bring the energy to franchises, but there's a reason they're not professional screenwriters lol

I could point you to clips of Abrams and Johnson saying they’re lifelong Star Wars fans since they were kids and ‘look where we are now!’ but let’s not ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I could point you to clips of Abrams and Johnson saying they’re lifelong Star Wars fans since they were kids and ‘look where we are now!’ but let’s not ;)

There's a very, very long space between the scripts of Episodes 7 or 8, and a theory that Rey is Schmi Skywalker.

pixelburp wrote: »
    There's a very, very long space between the scripts of Episodes 7 or 8, and a theory that Rey is Schmi Skywalker.

You’ve never watched Lost have you :)

‘Just throw everything in it! We can make it up as we go and leave a weirdly unexplained ambiguous (****) ending! We have their money! Screw em!’

Yet, boys (well men) buy Princess Leia figures and Ashoka too. Jiana Solo (who never even appeared in a film and is now a non-character) was a fan voted figure, fans that are overwhelmingly boys (well men). Dr. Aphra, who's just a comic character (and a recent one) also sells really well. Also, according to the sites that are dedicated to this nonsense, those fans are crying out for more female figures.

But, yes, there are legions of unbought Rose Tico figures in both 6 inch and 3.75. And next to her on the shelf is Admiral Holdo.

It's not that these characters are female that they don't sell.

It's because they boring.

You mentioned the black series, I’d point to the ongoing success of that line for anyone saying sales are down. Those things aren’t cheap(€30 here I think?) and it’s been a continouous never ending stream of them with no end in sight any time soon.

You're missing the point that's being made.

The successes in the Black Series are for particular figures, i.e. those from the OT. The sequel figures and those from 'Solo' haven't sold well however and are regularly seen at knock down prices in Walmart and Target, etc.

This is the problem facing both Hasbro and Disney at the moment, who have had to cancel certain toy lines due to poor sales.

Fans are buying 6" Boba Fetts (in fact they had to release him because he was going for $90 on eBay) and Gamorrean Guards to beat the band. But they're just not interested in Rose Tico, Finn or Admiral Holdo, which stay on the shelves until they end up as special offers or in bargain bins.

This is a serious problem for the toy manufacturers (including Disney), because it's the sequel toys they want to push to promote the latest movies.

• Advertisement

Yet, boys (well men) buy Princess Leia figures and Ashoka too. Jiana Solo (who never even appeared in a film and is now a non-character) was a fan voted figure, fans that are overwhelmingly boys (well men). Dr. Aphra, who's just a comic character (and a recent one) also sells really well. Also, according to the sites that are dedicated to this nonsense, those fans are crying out for more female figures.

But, yes, there are legions of unbought Rose Tico figures in both 6 inch and 3.75. And next to her on the shelf is Admiral Holdo.

It's not that these characters are female that they don't sell.

It's because they boring.

kids are smart :D , Princess Leia figures were bought for sure, kids just wont be lectured to on what they "ought" to buy and for resisting the force I salute them :)

Advertisement