Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker **Spoilers from post 2076**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,298 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

silverharp wrote: »
    kids are smart :D , Princess Leia figures were bought for sure, kids just wont be lectured to on what they "ought" to buy and for resisting the force I salute them :)

By "kids", you mean guys in their 30's and 40's. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,341 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Tony EH wrote: »
    By "kids", you mean guys in their 30's and 40's. :pac:

As far as Im aware the "collector" market while significant isn the driving/majority factor, if kids aren't buying your stuff you aint going nowhere.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Action figures sales might be down but the focus has shifted away from those as you say to pitch to middle aged people with money, to high end stuff from Sideshow collectibles and kotobukiya to cross over deals like these from Nissan. Who doesn’t want a Rogue one car? :)
    This is where the money is now and its a vast money spinner. The Luke / Kenobi figures is 1/6th scale and costs around €250 each. This is the market now. Not action figures.

nissan-rogue-star-wars-limited-edition.jpg.ximg.l_12_m.smart.jpg

star-wars-episode-viii-action-figure-16-luke-skywalker-crait-29cm-by-hot-toys.jpg

obi-wan-kenobi_star-wars_gallery_5c4ca17ec119c.jpg

Dude, you're obsessed... you need to back out of these threads a little, or you will be barred again...
    So the new movies are ****e... so what... don´t take offence, and this isn´t a pure star wars fansite, so we don´t go into the nitty gritty of podcasts and sales figures and the rest of that rubbish...

saying that, I love your enthusiasm, but don´t turn these threads into your personal domain again...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Total flop and a financial loss for Disney
    As far as Im aware the "collector" market while significant isn the driving/majority factor, if kids aren't buying your stuff you aint going nowhere.

There's some truth to that for sure in the general scheme of toy sales but stuff like the Black Series range of figures are not aimed at kids, there aimed at collectors. Hell, even toy lines like the Marvel figures are sold with extra build a figure parts to push collectors into picking up the entire release wave, even when it means buying pretty unpopular characters which is something kids are not going to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,298 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Hmmm, I wouldn't be too sure on that SH. There's a lot of talk about kids just not being into action figures these days. Sure Lego sets and whatnot sell pretty well. But no kid is buying a $400 Millennium Falcon.

Although, my mate bought his 7 year old a cheaper version and he loved making it with his dad. But he doesn't play with it or spend any time with it. It just sits on the shelf, where I'd say his father put it. and he's just not that into Star Wars either.

I've bought figures for my nephews and they end up going into the black hole, because they'd rather play Fortnite.

I think figures and the likes are now, almost exclusively, aimed at an adult collector market. But, yeh there are other toys, like plush dolls and such that are aimed at younger kids. But, I think most kids from 6 up would rather switch on an X-Box.

Things are certainly different than my day, when every shop in Ireland had rows and rows of "Star Wars men" and most kids had at least a few. Even my local newsagent had them for sale.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

So the new movies are ****e... so what...

Look that is not really true Disney has released four Star Wars movies so far and only 3 of them are she*e Rogue One was pretty decent in fairness.:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Runaway hit highest gross beating The force Awakens
    Tony EH wrote: »
    You're missing the point that's being made.

The successes in the Black Series are for particular figures, i.e. those from the OT. The sequel figures and those from 'Solo' haven't sold well however and are regularly seen at knock down prices in Walmart and Target, etc.

This is the problem facing both Hasbro and Disney at the moment, who have had to cancel certain toy lines due to poor sales.

Fans are buying 6" Boba Fetts (in fact they had to release him because he was going for $90 on eBay) and Gamorrean Guards to beat the band. But they're just not interested in Rose Tico, Finn or Admiral Holdo, which stay on the shelves until they end up as special offers or in bargain bins.

This is a serious problem for the toy manufacturers (including Disney), because it's the sequel toys they want to push to promote the latest movies.

I will refer you to constable zuvvio and leave it there :)

Dude, you're obsessed... you need to back out of these threads a little, or you will be barred again...
    So the new movies are ****e... so what... don´t take offence, and this isn´t a pure star wars fansite, so we don´t go into the nitty gritty of podcasts and sales figures and the rest of that rubbish...

saying that, I love your enthusiasm, but don´t turn these threads into your personal domain again...

Think you got me confused with someone else, someone mentioned toy sales as a barometer of a films success or failure somehow. It went from there.
    None of that stuff is any guide on the quality or success of a film.
    It’s a really strange argument to make that it is. Karate was huge after karate kid. Then it wasn’t by the time the sequel came out. That’s just how things work.
    It’s all fingers out and attempts to profit really is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,069 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

So I managed to avoid seeing the trailer for this until yesterday when I was in the cinema. It seemed like a decent trailer that's not reveling to much but also quite forgettable which is good. I only remember two parts to it one being her jumping as a tie fighter flys and then the end bit.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Look that is not really true Disney has released four Star Wars movies so far and only 3 of them are she*e Rogue One was pretty decent in fairness.:)
    A lot of people here spouting their opinion on the movies as fact to suit agendas.

Box office measures financial success, everything after that is just an opinion.

My opinion is that TFA did a great fantastic job of effectively rebooting the franchise. Rogue One really was excellent. The other two are marmite and fine.

• Advertisement

Dades wrote: »
    A lot of people here spouting their opinion on the movies as fact to suit agendas.

Box office measures financial success, everything after that is just an opinion.

My opinion is that TFA did a great fantastic job of effectively rebooting the franchise. Rogue One really was excellent. The other two are marmite and fine.

I will admit The Force Awakens has a pace to it but like you said it was a reboot in all but name.
    I was already turned off this film right from the moment I seen a stormtrooper.

The Empire fell at the end of Return of the Jedi and the prequels gave us something totally different in every regard even if the films did not suit everybody.

My idea of an Episode 7 would have been some new force invading the Republic from beyond the Outer Rim.
    I would have liked to see Luke in the real Jedi Temple and Leia with a political role in the senate.
    I have never read any of the EU to be honest but I have a vague idea this was the kind of story some of those books covered.
    The First Order is just a silly parody of the Empire.

Lucas had the Empire for the Originals and the Clone Wars for the prequels with crazy looking aliens and droid armies.

Lots of people said Disney was playing it safe and giving fans something familiar and that Episode 8 would put some flesh on the bones of this trilogy.

As we all know The Last Jedi was garbage and there was no original ideas in it despite what some people say.

Rogue One on the other hand really felt like it fitted in with the six real Star Wars movies and the Droid in it was funny it filled in a gap between the prequels and the originals.
    Solo was noting to write home about.

I like some of the ideas I am hearing from Episode 9 which I will not spoil here but I really feel they should have been in Episode 7.

Ray Finn Poe Rose Kylo Hux Snoke have left me and many of the fans cold and let us not forget Admiral Holdo.

The Prequels gave us a great Obi Wan Darth Maul General Grievous Jango Fett Dooku.

Dual of the Fates the fight and the Music battle of the Heroes the Pod race the Clone Wars.

Why can some people not just admit this trilogy is the weakest addition to Star Wars and the lack of any real plan for this trilogy has just backfired on the franchise.

I am still hoping for a good movie with Episode 9 but The Last Jedi does not leave a good taste in my mouth.

People should also remember these are just films I consider myself a fan but not so hardcore that I can overlook bad films.

I will admit The Force Awakens has a pace to it but like you said it was a reboot in all but name.
    I was already turned off this film right from the moment I seen a stormtrooper.

The Empire fell at the end of Return of the Jedi and the prequels gave us something totally different in every regard even if the films did not suit everybody.

My idea of an Episode 7 would have been some new force invading the Republic from beyond the Outer Rim.
    I would have liked to see Luke in the real Jedi Temple and Leia with a political role in the senate.
    I have never read any of the EU to be honest but I have a vague idea this was the kind of story some of those books covered.
    The First Order is just a silly parody of the Empire.

Lucas had the Empire for the Originals and the Clone Wars for the prequels with crazy looking aliens and droid armies.

Lots of people said Disney was playing it safe and giving fans something familiar and that Episode 8 would put some flesh on the bones of this trilogy.

As we all know The Last Jedi was garbage and there was no original ideas in it despite what some people say.

Rogue One on the other hand really felt like it fitted in with the six real Star Wars movies and the Droid in it was funny it filled in a gap between the prequels and the originals.
    Solo was noting to write home about.

I like some of the ideas I am hearing from Episode 9 which I will not spoil here but I really feel they should have been in Episode 7.

Ray Finn Poe Rose Kylo Hux Snoke have left me and many of the fans cold and let us not forget Admiral Holdo.

The Prequels gave us a great Obi Wan Darth Maul General Grievous Jango Fett Dooku.

Dual of the Fates the fight and the Music battle of the Heroes the Pod race the Clone Wars.

Why can some people not just admit this trilogy is the weakest addition to Star Wars and the lack of any real plan for this trilogy has just backfired on the franchise.

I am still hoping for a good movie with Episode 9 but The Last Jedi does not leave a good taste in my mouth.

People should also remember these are just films I consider myself a fan but not so hardcore that I can overlook bad films.

Next time you write your life story about why you don’t like a film, or franchise, best not to end it reminding everyone else that they’re just films.
    Just read back on your post if this one confuses you.

*its just space wizards and laser swords. It’s not Shakespeare

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Homelander

The new films aren't bad films at all, they're just good popcorn entertainment albiet completely devoid of original or creative ideas, just a re-thread of everything that came before....in 20 years people will have almost forgotten they exist. I never in my life thought I'd end up saying this, but so far, I prefer the prequels to the new trilogy, at least they were crammed full of creative vision, originality and new ideas (as horrible as a lot of the dialogue/acting was).

Kylo Ren is probably the only memorable thing about the new films and that's largely down to his really good performance though the character is written pretty well and has way more depth than everyone else. Everything else is just uninspired, boring and forgettable. Poe, Finn, Snoke, First Order, etc even Luke had a fairly forgettable turn in The Last Jedi.

At this stage I'd probably also have preferred George Lucas to have a stab at them. Yeah, they would've almost certainly been technically inferior films, but at least they'd be fresh, new, exciting and take the story to a creatively interesting place.

Still looking forward to Ep9 to see how they bring it all together obviously. Also I agree that Rogue One was really excellent. Solo was OK from a technical POV but totally unnecessary and added zero to the franchise. No-one wanted that movie, and what was delivered confirm that perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Homelander wrote: »
    The new films aren't bad films at all, they're just good popcorn entertainment albiet completely devoid of original or creative ideas, just a re-thread of everything that came before....in 20 years people will have almost forgotten they exist. I never in my life thought I'd end up saying this, but so far, I prefer the prequels to the new trilogy, at least they were crammed full of creative vision, originality and new ideas (as horrible as a lot of the dialogue/acting was).

Kylo Ren is probably the only memorable thing about the new films and that's largely down to his really good performance though the character is written pretty well and has way more depth than everyone else. Everything else is just uninspired, boring and forgettable. Poe, Finn, Snoke, First Order, etc even Luke had a fairly forgettable turn in The Last Jedi.

At this stage I'd probably also have preferred George Lucas to have a stab at them. Yeah, they would've almost certainly been technically inferior films, but at least they'd be fresh, new, exciting and take the story to a creatively interesting place.

Still looking forward to Ep9 to see how they bring it all together obviously. Also I agree that Rogue One was really excellent. Solo was OK from a technical POV but totally unnecessary and added zero to the franchise. No-one wanted that movie, and what was delivered confirm that perfectly.

The Force Awakens was perfectly fine.

Solo as a stand alone film was good fun, I liked it, but I agree I'm not sure what it adds to the Star Wars franchise other than finding out how Han and Chewie meet.

There isn't much to say about the Last Jedi other than if given a choice I'd rather sit down and watch TPM and TLJ on a dark and wet Sunday afternoon.

Rogue One on the other hand is far and away the best of the new movies. Personally it's up there with Empire and ANH. Not perfect, the middle act was so so but as a Star Wars fan the final act is breathtaking. If The Last Jedi and The Force Awakens was the price that had to be paid for Rogue One then so be it.

I realise it's a financial decision but I'd rather see stand alone movies moving forward. I want to see a film about Obi Wan on Tatooine, I want to see a film about Vader after Revenge of the Sith, a film about Palpatine and Darth Plagueisis would be great and even a film about Yoda in his younger days.

Alas none of that seems likely now.

there as someone doing a livestream from the theme park and it seemed to be quiet with very few kids. Very little to do with the original movies, not a single R2D2 in the place!. Suggestion as that Lucas still gets residuals on original characters? dont know thats true but it seems illogical to have a star wars theme park without all the original stuff being there too? apparently they have started cutting hours for staff there so its not going to plan

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

there as someone doing a livestream from the theme park and it seemed to be quiet with very few kids. Very little to do with the original movies, not a single R2D2 in the place!. Suggestion as that Lucas still gets residuals on original characters? dont know thats true but it seems illogical to have a star wars theme park without all the original stuff being there too? apparently they have started cutting hours for staff there so its not going to plan

As usual the spent of twitter etc grab onto a story and make it negative.

Disney Park season pass holders aren’t allowed use their passes until next month. So that’s what they’re waiting for. Then on top of that, the park isn’t finished. They’re adding the main feature ride in the coming months. Rise of the resistance. Nobody knows what it’s like but it’s bigger than the falcon ride they have.

Coupled with the fact that The whole thing is obscenely expensive. Beyond belief. It’s designed to not have the overcrowded masses that are the norm in Disneyland. They’re on record saying it’s pitched to people of a certain pay scale.
    That’s a Disney problem. It’s not a Star Wars problem. Capitalism / evil empire ahoy

As usual the spent of twitter etc grab onto a story and make it negative.

Disney Park season pass holders aren’t allowed use their passes until next month. So that’s what they’re waiting for. Then on top of that, the park isn’t finished. They’re adding the main feature ride in the coming months. Rise of the resistance. Nobody knows what it’s like but it’s bigger than the falcon ride they have.

Coupled with the fact that The whole thing is obscenely expensive. Beyond belief. It’s designed to not have the overcrowded masses that are the norm in Disneyland. They’re on record saying it’s pitched to people of a certain pay scale.
    That’s a Disney problem. It’s not a Star Wars problem. Capitalism / evil empire ahoy

apparently the local hotels put their prices up too. i'd still say there is still an underlying starwars problem (in the hands of Disney) if they are "turning theirs backs" on the original movies. The place should have R2D2s , Ewoks and the lads.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,444 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Jaysus lads let’s not start trying to rehabilitate the bloody Ewoks :pac:

Jaysus lads let’s not start trying to rehabilitate the bloody Ewoks :pac:

think of the children :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Honestly, I liked the Ewoks as a kid, so *shrug* while they were narratively godawful they were likeable enough to one important demographic.

• Advertisement

Simple story telling. The hobbits brought down barad dur and Sauron
    The ewoks brought or helped bring down the empire. That’s all.

I hope to god this shot is in this film. Looking forward to the pathetic Male-storm meltdown cos it’s a ‘female’ doing it.

images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcThMNQVplvbZkcr1sCIE62szl5-dBprq7yzMl6IuPJ2mYGKntxM

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Homelander

Looking forward to the pathetic Male-storm meltdown cos it’s a ‘female’ doing it.

Do you even realise yourself the amount of aggressive, baseless rubbish you're constantly posting? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Simple story telling. The hobbits brought down barad dur and Sauron
    The ewoks brought or helped bring down the empire. That’s all.

I hope to god this shot is in this film. Looking forward to the pathetic Male-storm meltdown cos it’s a ‘female’ doing it.

images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcThMNQVplvbZkcr1sCIE62szl5-dBprq7yzMl6IuPJ2mYGKntxM

I hope there is an explanation as to why the pilot doesn't just shoot at Rey...

Falthyron wrote: »

:D:D

I can only guess the answer to this will be as funny as the question.

I would love some random Stormtrooper to take out one of the new cast with an on target blaster shot.

What would be even better a second tie fighter right behind the first mills Ray out of it.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Then on top of that, the park isn’t finished. They’re adding the main feature ride in the coming months. Rise of the resistance. Nobody knows what it’s like but it’s bigger than the falcon ride they have.
    Apparently because it's a trackless ride they realised it's not very exciting, even though they've put so much money in to it. They've gone back to the drawing board to try make it more exciting. It may bomb still as a ride, but they wouldn't be getting all that negative feedback the day the park opened.

It's a huge moment for a trailer so no doubt it'll end up being a dream-like sequence or else it's a good guy in the ship to test her. No pressure JJ.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭El Duda

Homelander wrote: »
    Do you even realise yourself the amount of aggressive, baseless rubbish you're constantly posting? :confused:

He should read his username and say it out loud ten times before he posts anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Shes using a jedi mind trick to stop him from shooting, obviously :rolleyes:

:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Honestly, I wouldn't hold your breath. Abrams loves "the Rule of Cool", and often composes an image for its visual impact over any logical sense. Most egregious of his was in Star Trek Into Darkness, where he sank the Enterprise in an ocean despite it making zero internal sense. Oh, it looked cool, but that was about it.

El Duda wrote: »
    He should read his username and say it out loud ten times before he posts anything.

Didn’t mean it to come across like that. Apologies.

• Advertisement

pixelburp wrote: »
    Honestly, I wouldn't hold your breath. Abrams loves "the Rule of Cool", and often composes an image for its visual impact over any logical sense. Most egregious of his was in Star Trek Into Darkness, where he sank the Enterprise in an ocean despite it making zero internal sense. Oh, it looked cool, but that was about it.

Thought it could be a training sequence but it’s definitely him flying that fighter. wasn’t trying to kill her in force awakens just capture her. Maybe same here?

From the celebration when the trailer was out
    Kylo.jpg

Advertisement