Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker **Spoilers from post 2076**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Runaway hit highest gross beating The force Awakens
    pixelburp wrote: »
    Honestly, I liked the Ewoks as a kid, so *shrug* while they were narratively godawful they were likeable enough to one important demographic.
    I am a child of ROTJ.

Jabba, the Sarlacc, a green lightsaber, Ewoks, camo-print trenchcoats, speeder bikes, The Emperor, "It's a Trap!"...

Peak Star Wars for me!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

I tried to spoiler that but it doesn’t seem to be working? Sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Dades wrote: »
    I am a child of ROTJ.

Jabba, the Sarlacc, a green lightsaber, Ewoks, camo-print trenchcoats, speeder bikes, The Emperor, "It's a Trap!"...

Peak Star Wars for me!

And Princess Leia in the gold bikini ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,298 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Honestly, I wouldn't hold your breath. Abrams loves "the Rule of Cool", and often composes an image for its visual impact over any logical sense. Most egregious of his was in Star Trek Into Darkness, where he sank the Enterprise in an ocean despite it making zero internal sense. Oh, it looked cool, but that was about it.

Except it didn't look cool. It looked stupid.

Because it was stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Homelander

I don't think that's the worst of JJ's crimes to be fair. He had a broad cinema audience in mind, and knew certain stretches within that universe weren't going to be a problem in that context, I know I personally didn't have much issue with it.

There's a big difference between something not making plain and simple sense in any context, and something that sacrifices a sense of logic in a way that the majority of an audience wouldn't even perceive.

The man's a talented by-the-numbers guy. Not particularly original or innovative but he does what he does well enough. I say that as someone who's not even a fan.

Same could be said of Rian Johnson and The Last Jedi to be fair. I was as split as anyone on that movie, but I accept that a lot of the major problems with that movie aren't actually problems in the minds of a majority audience that saw the film.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Tony EH wrote: »
    Except it didn't look cool. It looked stupid.

Because it was stupid.

Well, exactly, that's what I'm saying: it was a visually arresting image, very much "trailer fodder", but didn't make even the tiniest bit of internal logic. I suspect this game of TIE fighter chicken is the same deal.

Finn and Poe's Tie-Fighter escape scene in TFA is one of my favourite SW scenes of all time. It looks amazing, but the character dynamic is what makes it.

Abrams can do it well if he wants to. At least he toned down the lens flare.

I am a child of ROTJ.

Peak Star Wars for me!

I love that film but Luke’s plan still makes no sense whatsoever :)
    Have you seen those two ewok movies?
    I never have.

I love that film but Luke’s plan still makes no sense whatsoever :)
    The "hand yourself in because I know there is good in him" plan? :p
    Yeah, he'd have been better off helping Han and the Ewoks!

Didn't stop Rey doing the same thing in TLJ!

Have you seen those two ewok movies?
    I never have.
    Never did. Don't think I will, either.

The "hand yourself in because I know there is good in him" plan? :p
    Yeah, he'd have been better off helping Han and the Ewoks!

Didn't stop Rey doing the same thing in TLJ!

Never did. Don't think I will, either.

Ah no. The plan to rescue Han from jabbas palace. It’s just bonkers :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Relikk

I hope to god this shot is in this film. Looking forward to the pathetic Male-storm meltdown cos it’s a ‘female’ doing it.

images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcThMNQVplvbZkcr1sCIE62szl5-dBprq7yzMl6IuPJ2mYGKntxM

I think it's a bit silly looking, but I think that's because of the slow motion. Slo-mo doesn't belong in Star Wars.

Relikk wrote: »
    I think it's a bit silly looking, but I think that's because of the slow motion. Slo-mo doesn't belong in Star Wars.

Probably just for the trailer. Looks to be a big showdown. If it is even in the film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

El Duda wrote: »
    He should read his username and say it out loud ten times before he posts anything.

He should ‘stop trolling ffs’

He should ‘stop trolling ffs’

Your usual invaluable input sonny. Good man.

Well, exactly, t hat's what I'm saying: it was a visually arresting know, very much "trailer fodder", but didn't make even the tiniest bit of internal logic. I suspect this game of TIE fighter chicken is the same deal.

Yeh, I know pix. I'm agreeing with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

Your usual invaluable input sonny. Good man.

Haven’t seen you around in Current Affairs much recently, mate. What gives?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,444 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mod note: Take this bickering to PM please. If you have a problem with a poster, report it. Don’t drag baggage from other forums in here. Thanks.

Ah no. The plan to rescue Han from jabbas palace. It’s just bonkers :)
    Ahh right!

Plan A: Jedi mind trick Jabba.

Plan B:

Ahh right!

Plan A: Jedi mind trick Jabba.

Plan B:

Kind of seems be the heart of it alright :)
    Jabba laughing when he realises that’s what Luke’s up to is gas :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Tony EH wrote: »
    Yeh, I know pix. I'm agreeing with you.

Just not used to it is all ;)

• Advertisement

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 16,069 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Honestly, I wouldn't hold your breath. Abrams loves "the Rule of Cool", and often composes an image for its visual impact over any logical sense. Most egregious of his was in Star Trek Into Darkness, where he sank the Enterprise in an ocean despite it making zero internal sense. Oh, it looked cool, but that was about it.

Agreed it was just silly. Surely beaming down or using a shuttle would have made far more sense than having the ship underwater oh but that would not make for a cool scene like JJ wanted even if it was silly.
    I am a child of ROTJ.

Peak Star Wars for me!

ROTJ is my favorite Star Wars film it has everything. It has actuon in space on the planet and on the Death Star we get Luke, Darth Vader and Palpatine having there lightsabre fight. What more could you want?

I thought they hid the enterprise in the water to prevent the natives seeing it in the sky at night. So hiding it kind of makes sense no?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Disappointing box office take less than a billion
    I thought they hid the enterprise in the water to prevent the natives seeing it in the sky at night. So hiding it kind of makes sense no?

It's a spaceship. It can go into space.

Put it into a high orbit and they'll never see it.

There was absolutely no reason to sink the ship except it looked cool. I personally have no issue with it but let's not pretend it made sense. It didn't.

I really loved the look and design of that planet and the natives. Felt like the original series. Probably not a popular opinion.

The planet & natives were fine; big, bold and colourful. Sinking the Enterprise in the ocean was just a f*cking stupid, superficial idea. There were a half dozen ways the Enterprise could have stayed out of sight without ... God. A giant ship sinking into, then rising out of a lake/sea would have caused a huge tidal surge, as well as being really easy to spot from the size and engine noise. Oh but the Prime Directive!!11! This isn't your Grandad's Star Trek!!1!

*Cue Beastie Boys "Sabotage"*

GAAAaaaAHhhhh. I'm sorry I mentioned this bloody movie. Its first 10 minutes make me nerd blood boil.

That was funny :) although I understand all too well the nerd rage.

He didn’t really do any big trick shots like that in force awakens did he?
    Let’s hope he’s over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,488 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

bilston wrote: »
    Rogue One on the other hand is far and away the best of the new movies. Personally it's up there with Empire and ANH.

I agree but I wonder how widely this opinion is shared. Sky Movies showing Star Wars movies on nonstop rotation this past week but no sign of Rogue One

I agree but I wonder how widely this opinion is shared. Sky Movies showing Star Wars movies on nonstop rotation this past week but no sign of Rogue One

Are they showing Solo in that rotation? I don’t have sky

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,488 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Are they showing Solo in that rotation? I don’t have sky

Yes but not as often as the 'main' ones

Advertisement