Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker **Spoilers from post 2076**

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Runaway hit highest gross beating The force Awakens
    Yes but not as often as the 'main' ones

Cool. And no rogue one at all? That’s a bit mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭El Duda

Rogue One isn't a true Star Wars film cos there is no crawl at the start.

THEY BROKE NEW GROUND!!!

Dades wrote: »
    Ahh right!

Plan A: Jedi mind trick Jabba.

Plan B:

Dades. Never seen this. Deleted scene from ROTJ.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/B1UgoAiIU2i/?igshid=qkdi0s1bxxoi

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Feel like I'm gonna have to watch it all now!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I agree but I wonder how widely this opinion is shared. Sky Movies showing Star Wars movies on nonstop rotation this past week but no sign of Rogue One
    I think this speaks as to why Disney insisted on bringing back the old guard for TFA, as well as Jedis and lightsabers.

Rogue One is a better crafted movie, but because it lacks some core ingredients of Star Wars it will never be embraced in the same way. The title befits its place in the SW pantheon.

• Advertisement

I think this speaks as to why Disney insisted on bringing back the old guard for TFA, as well as Jedis and lightsabers.

Rogue One is a better crafted movie, but because it lacks some core ingredients of Star Wars it will never be embraced in the same way. The title befits its place in the SW pantheon.

I’m not sure. It used so many elements of Star Wars so well. Without being fan servicey in the bad definition of that term. It’s more likely a licenecing thing.
    Sky probably have an agreement to show those films up to a certain date. Maybe rogue one isn’t included in that deal. Disney are going to be pulling all their titles from their competitors soon for their service it seems so it might just be that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,488 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I’m not sure. It used so many elements of Star Wars so well. Without being fan servicey in the bad definition of that term. It’s more likely a licenecing thing.
    Sky probably have an agreement to show those films up to a certain date. Maybe rogue one isn’t included in that deal. Disney are going to be pulling all their titles from their competitors soon for their service it seems so it might just be that.

It crossed my mind it might be something like that. Bit strange they'd be doing a weeklong SW binge and not showing Rogue One at all:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,298 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Ahh right!

Plan A: Jedi mind trick Jabba.

Plan B:

"No plan survives contact with the enemy."

BTW, there is a three fold plan occurring in 'Return of the Jedi'. Lando as forward scout, who's probably been trying to feed the others info, but hasn't been able to for some reason we're not told. Leia who goes in as Boossh (or whatever) but she buggers that up and Luke who follows up, but likewise, makes a balls of it...which brings us back to the Von Moltke quote above.

But, sure it all works out in the end. pacman.gif

The real head scratcher is why the rebel alliance just didn't send one of their capital ships to hover over Jabba's gaff and demand Solo or they'll blow the place to smithereens.

Job done.

I don't think that's true at all.

'Rogue One' is, easily, the only Disney Star Wars film that has unified the majority of fans, as far as I can see, and its criticism from such have been quite low key, compared to the others, which have taken up and enormous amount of web traffic.

And as for "core ingredients", it has that in spades. It actually feels like a Star Wars film and fits in perfectly with the original film. Something that neither the prequels or the sequels ever managed.

But why Sky ain't showing it is anybody's guess.

Tony EH wrote: »
    I don't think that's true at all.

'Rogue One' is, easily, the only Disney Star Wars film that has unified the majority of fans, as far as I can see, and its criticism from such have been quite low key, compared to the others, which have taken up and enormous amount of web traffic.

And as for "core ingredients", it has that in spades. It actually feels like a Star Wars film and fits in perfectly with the original film. Something that neither the prequels or the sequels ever managed.

But why Sky ain't showing it is anybody's guess.

All that and it adds so much to a new hope and flows so seamlessly into it.
    Huge hopes for the Cassian Andor series if they can find that same tone and feel his role as spy and rebel intelligence operative vibe they set up in the film.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭Acosta

Class! Thanks for sharing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Tony EH wrote: »
    It actually feels like a Star Wars film...

It feels like how we think Star Wars was 40 years ago when we were still wearing short trousers. It's actually nothing like the original trilogy, just our rose tinted memories of it, but that is what makes it good.

Acosta wrote: »
    Class! Thanks for sharing.

It’s cool isn’t it? I’d seen the clip of Luke building the saber before but never the bit Vader readying out to him.
    Force Skype was always a thing in Star Wars, Johnson just portrayed it better I think.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

It’s cool isn’t it? I’d seen the clip of Luke building the saber before but never the bit Vader readying out to him.
    Force Skype was always a thing in Star Wars, Johnson just portrayed it better I think.

Hearing the "Skype" ringtone was funny, and the random other people doing voices for Vader and the Emperor which gave clues as to how late in the process the scenes got cut.

robinph wrote: »
    Hearing the "Skype" ringtone was funny, and the random other people doing voices for Vader and the Emperor which gave clues as to how late in the process the scenes got cut.

You lost me. You mean in ROTJ?

You lost me. You mean in ROTJ?
    Sorry, was in the deleted scenes but was actually a comms message coming through about the rebels having got into the shield generator. I got all mixed up despite having only watched it a few minutes before.

Sorry, was in the deleted scenes but was actually a comms message coming through about the rebels having got into the shield generator. I got all mixed up despite having only watched it a few minutes before.

Ah cool.

It feels like how we think Star Wars was 40 years ago when we were still wearing short trousers. It's actually nothing like the original trilogy, just our rose tinted memories of it, but that is what makes it good.

I don't agree. Watching a marathon of the 4 good Star Wars films a couple of months ago showed me clearly how 'Rogue One' fitted in with the original movies very well.

It segues in pretty effortlessly with the 1977 film. It's the only film since 1983 that has done that.

It has its flaws here and there, but it's Star Warsyness isn't one of them. The tone of the piece might be slightly different, but then each one of the original three films had different tones too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,673 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I think Rogue One is just in that phase where it's been out of cinema's long enough to be shown on terrestrial, but not long enough that Sky have the rights to it again, it's happened a few times with other series, e.g. Mission Impossible III when it was being shown on Film 4, but Sky were doing a Tom Cruise channel with all the other Mission Impossibles.

Some new footage. Guessing palpatine is in Vader’s helmet somehow
    https://m.imgur.com/r/StarWarsLeaks/JDwflKS

• Advertisement

Official poster

ECwE_nmU0AAQBMs.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Total flop and a financial loss for Disney
    That's gotta be on something sticking outta the death star

Slydice wrote: »

Thought it might be the falcon but I just had a look and it Isn’t.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Slydice wrote: »

The official Star Wars tombstone probably

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

I hope that isn't the final official poster we will see - it's awful.

They just showed new footage

•Rey is wearing an all in black robbed outfit with a double bladed red Lightsaber. Her robes are said to look very similar to Darth Maul’s.

•As we see Rey in this new look we get new dialogue from Palpatine saying “The Journey is coming to an end”.

•We see Rey dueling Kylo Ren on the Death Star Wreckage in the Ocean. Jason says it looks incredible.

•We also see super weapon like lasers hitting the surface of a planet, which could link up to a story we put out about the Sith fleet.

•Zorri Bliss is Poe Dameron’s love interest from the past.

•Rey is also wearing a rope type necklace which could confirm the festival scene that Jason reported on a few months ago.

This all sounds pretty incredible and unexpected. I’m very curious about this whole “Evil Rey” stuff and what that could mean for the finale. Could Rey actually be a Clone? It would give the cave scene from The Last Jedi a whole new meaning. The footage is exclusive to D23 so we won’t be seeing this footage for awhile, so for now enjoy this awesome poster!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,521 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Why even spoiler the news that there's a Super Weapon? Of course there's a giant laser beam, wouldn't do to miss an item on the Star Wars tropes list. Be like saying it's news there'll be X Wings lol :D

pixelburp wrote: »
    Why even spoiler the news that there's a Super Weapon? Of course there's a giant laser beam, wouldn't do to miss an item on the Star Wars tropes list. Be like saying it's news there'll be X Wings lol :D

Your dim view aside I’m fairly sure people don’t want spoilers big or small.
    How and ever.

Rey’s a clone. Who knew.

We all knew. She was told as much in the cave in the last Jedi

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

How and ever.

Rey’s a clone. Who knew.

Ah ffs! Spoilers!

:o

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,521 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

How and ever.

Rey’s a clone. Who knew.

*Shrug* Name a Star Wars film that doesn't contain a giant laser weapon? Or at least something Death Star esque? Heck, Episode VII felt cute enough to make a meta joke with Hans "there's always a weakness" when discussing that films superlaser

Advertisement