Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker **Spoilers from post 2076**

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Runaway hit highest gross beating The force Awakens
    pixelburp wrote: »
    *Shrug* Name a Star Wars film that doesn't contain a giant laser weapon? Or at least something Death Star esque? Heck, Episode VII felt cute enough to make a meta joke with Hans "there's always a weakness" when discussing that films superlaser

The prequels? All of them. Empire?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,518 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The prequels? All of them. Empire?

TBH I was only having a joke SMFFS, Star Wars + giant Space Lasers are a pretty unspectacular addition, especially given Abrams pedigree for riffing on the oldies :) The return of 'aul Palps was clue enough to that :D

If Rey's a clone, I'll eat my hat, cos that'd be the stupidest element of the old EU to pull from; god, Luuke Skywalker, lol (and no, that's not a typo for anyone reading, they genuinely made a clone of Luke called "Luuke")

TBH I was only having a joke SMFFS, Star Wars + giant Space Lasers are a pretty unspectacular addition, especially given Abrams pedigree for riffing on the oldies :) The return of 'aul Palps was clue enough to that :D

If Rey's a clone, I'll eat my hat, cos that'd be the stupidest element of the old EU to pull from; god, Luuke Skywalker, lol (and no, that's not a typo for anyone reading, they genuinely made a clone of Luke called "Luuke")

I just saw the pics from the bogey video

She’s a clone

That ties kind of perfectly into the canon

• Registered Users Posts: 19,297 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Lol, that poster.

"Forget the past. Kill it if you have to."

"But bring it back, if you make a few shit films."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Be interesting to see how they bring Palatine back, watch a decent video about it a few days ago talking about the failure of the empire being apart of the plan to reset the Galaxy .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,518 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'll say one slim thing in favour of the clone theory; it'd explain Rey's preternatural ability with the Force, something that has bugged folks since Episode VII to the point of all those arguments about 'Mary Sue'. Convenient and glib, but thats another matter.

I'll say one slim thing in favour of the clone theory; it'd explain Rey's preternatural ability with the Force, something that has bugged folks since Episode VII to the point of all those arguments about 'Mary Sue'. Convenient and glib, but thats another matter.

It might go some way to explaining just how she was able to expertly do a Jedi mind trick, despite not having a clue what the Force was or not knowing who Luke Skywalker was, that very same morning.

She somehow knew who Han Solo was.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Not buying that Rey's a clone.

What purpose would that serve? A clone of who? Nothing is obvious yet except the studios resurrecting the emperor to get the old school SW fans along with their kids in tow.

I wouldn't be reading too much into stuff that happened in TLJ given the creative differences.

Tony EH wrote: »
    It might go some way to explaining just how she was able to expertly do a Jedi mind trick, despite not having a clue what the Force was or not knowing who Luke Skywalker was, that very same morning.

She somehow knew who Han Solo was.

She thought Luke was a myth she didn’t think he was real. And her and Finn both knew who Han was. He was taught about the rebellion itt seems he says the rebellion general and she goes no the smuggler. I like the clone idea. It would make sense given the extra curricular material in the new canon books. Palpatine was experimenting with force sensitive kids in clone wars and had some sort of Sith facility on the same planet we meet her on Jaku.
    They have storyline strategists hopefully 9 will see them earn their keep and tie it all together

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Dades wrote: »
    Not buying that Rey's a clone.

What purpose would that serve? A clone of who? Nothing is obvious yet except the studios resurrecting the emperor to get the old school SW fans along with their kids in tow.

I wouldn't be reading too much into stuff that happened in TLJ given the creative differences.

Online SW fans are obsessed with clones. There's millions of forum and newsgroup posts from 1999 to 2005 in which they claimed Sidious was a clone of Palpatine. There was no reasoning with them.

• Advertisement

Online SW fans are obsessed with clones. There's millions of forum and newsgroup posts from 1999 to 2005 in which they claimed Sidious was a clone of Palpatine. There was no reasoning with them.

Remember that:) One of the old comics or graphic novels had palpatine having a huge supply of clones of himself he’d have to sort of change bodies all the time cos the dark side or whatever power he had would burn the body out. They wouldn’t last all that long. Think it was shattered empire? It’s an odd idea we might see come to screen unless he’s only in it as an old recoding or video or something.
    Which would be crap given they’re hyping him up front
    I reckon his spirit is in the Vader helmet. Somehow. They been doin a good bit of sith atetfacts (specifically helmets) possessed by sith ghosts in the new comics

She thought Luke was a myth she didn’t think he was real.

She hadn't a clue who the guy was that was instrumental in destroying two Death Stars, had a hand in defeating the Emperor and was basically THE hero of the rebellion?

But she knew about an old smuggler and the millennium falcon?

That's a ridiculous attempt at writing.
    I like the clone idea.

The clone idea is just awful. But the sequel trilogy has been awful so far, so colour me unsurprised.

I dunno, I kinda liked the idea of how in the 40(?) years since Endor the force and the heroes of the rebellion had passed into myth. The Star Wars world has always seemed a very disconnected rabble of a galaxy, one without a central source of news or history. In Episode IV, the force was already a mostly forgotten religion - so while Luke's presence in Episode VI was instrumental, his powers were likely disbelieved or ignored, passing into fiction as the years went by. Look at our own history, even with the internet certain periods of time have passed into myth and worship (see Britain & WW2)

Now the continued presence of the First Order as some abstract remnant of the Empire, without any clear goals, beliefs or plan, now THAT was always garbage writing to enforce the continued rebels v. empire trope. Cos god forbid a new threat or presence asserts itself.

I dunno, I kinda liked the idea of how in the 40(?) years since Endor the force and the heroes of the rebellion had passed into myth. The Star Wars world has always seemed a very disconnected rabble of a galaxy, one without a central source of news or history. In Episode IV, the force was already a mostly forgotten religion - so while Luke's presence in Episode VI was instrumental, his powers were likely disbelieved or ignored, passing into fiction as the years went by.

Now the continued presence of the First Order as some abstract remnant of the Empire, without any clear goals, beliefs or plan, now THAT was always garbage writing to enforce the continued rebels v. empire trope. Cos god forbid a new threat or presence asserts itself.

It's just 30 years.

That's like people in 1975 not knowing who Hitler was.

In the context of Star Wars, we have a decades long, largely hated, Empire destroyed by someone who would have been a household name for his deeds. FFS, 'The Last Jedi' has kids playing with facsimiles of Luke Skywalker after his faux exploits on the salty planet that wasn't Hoth shortly after it occurred. How he found that out christ knows. But Luke Skywalker is already a "myth" just a few decades after his more impressive actions?

That's just silly.

Not only was it silly, though, it also a completely unnecessary road to nowhere too. It's a perfect example of a line of dialogue that just doesn't need to exist. It serves absolutely no purpose at all.

Likewise her "You're Han Solo? This is the Millennium falcon?" was cringy as well. It would have been better for her to have simply repeated Kenobi's line asking why she should have known about a ship. Solo should be more of a legend in his own lunchtime, rather than this guy everyone knows in a ship everyone's heard of. How the hell is someone supposed to smuggle anything when everyone knows who he is?

You have to remember not only is it 40 years or so but the Jedi even had passed into myth. All stories and history of them and the rebellion surpressed by the empire and then the new republic takes over and the only Jedi left buggers off into hiding

One of the new books is called the legends of Luke skywalker. And it’s loads of short stories from different perspectives basically about the myth and legend sort of distorted and exaggerated as stories naturally are over time. So he wasn’t forgotten but definitely seen as a myth.
    One of the stories is from his perspective and he’s in a cantina and a woman is giving out about the terrorist luke skywalker who destroyed the good and benevolent empire and she doesn’t know it’s him she’s talking to and he’s kinda picking her brain and challenging her point of view.
    Great read that book if you like world building

It's just 30 years.

That's like people in 1975 not knowing who Hitler was.

In the context of Star Wars, we have a decades long, largely hated, Empire destroyed by someone who would have been a household name for his deeds. FFS, 'The Last Jedi' has kids playing with facsimiles of Luke Skywalker after his faux exploits on the salty planet that wasn't Hoth shortly after it occurred. How he found that out christ knows. But Luke Skywalker is already a "myth" just a few decades after his more impressive actions?

That's just silly.

Not only was it silly, though, it also a completely unnecessary road to nowhere too. It's a perfect example of a line of dialogue that just doesn't need to exist. It serves absolutely no purpose at all.

Likewise her "You're Han Solo? This is the Millennium falcon?" was cringy as well. It would have been better for her to have simply repeated Kenobi's line asking why she should have known about a ship. Solo should be more of a legend in his own lunchtime, rather than this guy everyone knows in a ship everyone's heard of. How the hell is someone supposed to smuggle anything when everyone knows who he is?

You’re kind of complaining tha Luke isn’t a household name but it’s stupid that she knows who Han is? They were all famous around the galaxy after Endor. Part of bens problem growing up was the famous parents and having to live up to that. Think that was Adam driver said that not Kylo himself

You’re kind of complaining tha Luke isn’t a household name but it’s stupid that she knows who Han is?

Yes, because that's just silly.

The guy who saved the galaxy is relegated to a "myth" just a few years after the event. But someone who is essentially just some guy that helped out she knows about and his ship as well.

None of that nonsense is needed.

Yes, because that's just silly.

The guy who saved the galaxy is relegated to a "myth" just a few years after the event. But someone who is essentially just some guy that helped out she knows about and his ship as well.

None of that nonsense is needed.

He was a rebellion general to be fair. But I take your point.

Is Rey going dark??

https://twitter.com/djkevlar/status/1165414299524722688?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Relikk

Probably as a result of Palpatine trying to possess her briefly, I'd say. I haven't seen what they're talking about, though. Has there been any decent quality leaks of the trailer they showed?

• Advertisement

Relikk wrote: »
    Probably as a result of Palpatine trying to possess her briefly, I'd say. I haven't seen what they're talking about, though. Has there been any decent quality leaks of the trailer they showed?

No none at all. There was one and it got taken down. My hey have detailed descriptions over on making Star Wars and Star Wars news net. The official site charged the wording of the description from ‘a vision of Rey in all black with a double blades lightsaber’ to ‘the site of Rey in all black with a double blades lightsaber’. People are thinking they slipped up. So you could well be into something cos t is Palpatine talking directly to her in the clip apparently.

The whole thing Is being released tomorrow online apparently.

Here’s the full description

Screenshot_3.jpgQScreenshot_4.jpg

Here it is. Cooool

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

^

Might as well spoiler tag it ... but is that
    Rey turned to the dark side? or keri russell? heard she was in it.... pretty big spoiler if its rey

^

Might as well spoiler tag it ... but is that
    Rey turned to the dark side? or keri russell? heard she was in it.... pretty big spoiler if its rey

It’s Rey.
    Has to be a vision like Luke in the cave in empire.
    Least I hope so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Relikk

That shot of all the old Star Destroyers is class. Like a hidden fleet, or something. The shot of Rey at the end looks like a bad photoshop.

what if Palpatine takes the form of Rey - it’s not Rey herself? But she has to face off against herself but it’s really him? Can’t see her Turning. Has to be something else to it

• Registered Users Posts: 16,485 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

what if Palpatine takes the form of Rey - it’s not Rey herself? But she has to face off against herself but it’s really him?

Abrams 'paying homage to' his other great franchise?:D
    Trek-Undiscovered06-740x373.jpg?fit=740%2C%209999&crop=0%2C0%2C100%2C373px

Maybe he's running out of earlier Star Wars to 'recycle'...

Abrams 'paying homage to' his other great franchise?:D
    Trek-Undiscovered06-740x373.jpg?fit=740%2C%209999&crop=0%2C0%2C100%2C373px

Maybe he's running out of earlier Star Wars to 'recycle'...

That be funny :)

• Advertisement

Relikk wrote: »
    That shot of all the old Star Destroyers is class. Like a hidden fleet, or something. The shot of Rey at the end looks like a bad photoshop.

They’re definitely old ISDs aren’t they?

https://twitter.com/cmwashby/status/1165979380365037568?s=21

Advertisement