Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker **Spoilers from post 2076**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,518 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Man these modern lightsaber designs aren't designed with any considerations, are they; beyond "Does it look cool?" and "will they sell toys?" :D

... ... cos if you're not mindful of your pose, you'll cut your own legs off while you stoically unfolded your weapon. Self Obi-Wan'ing, if you will.

As to that ... trailer? Preview? Sizzle reel? It's cool looking, but of course it is; if nothing else Abrams cuts a sexy-looking promotion - which as has been discussed is part of that director's blindspot.

With the hidden Imperial fleet, they really are just going full-on nostalgia shotgun, aren't they?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Runaway hit highest gross beating The force Awakens
    Looks cool, while only hinting at stuff.
    If they're throwing in visions or dreams I'll be annoyed.

I note C3PO has gotten rid of his red arm only to get conjunctivitis.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Those sabers have featured before. Usually white and held by temple knight guards. From the prequels and clone wars. Good sign there’s going to be a bit of everything represented

Jedi_Temple_Guard.jpg
    [img]http://s1064.photobucket.com/user/Nathaniel_Reykun_Davis/media/Temple Guard Lightsaber Grand Inquisitor_zpsfomolydb.png.html[/ img][/img]

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I loved that trailer, really looking forward to the movie . .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Total flop and a financial loss for Disney
    Trailer Contains Red Eyes and Star Destroyers in a particular shade of blue.

Uhuh, nothing leading about that at all... nope.. :D

489142.jpg

• Advertisement

Slydice wrote: »

489142.jpg

He’s lost with Ezra somewhere though. Be bizarre to bring him in now no?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Total flop and a financial loss for Disney
    He’s lost with Ezra somewhere though. Be bizarre to bring him in now no?

Sure would explain his absense tho...

How long do Chiss live?

Sure would explain his absense tho...

How long do Chiss live?

Dunno. I haven’t gotten to reading that new thrawn book, treason. Must get to it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Drumpot wrote: »
    I loved that trailer, really looking forward to the movie . .

Same here, hopefully much better than the last. I didn't dislike the last one overly, but the whole chase sequence just felt too dragged out and I was annoyed they killed off all the old crew so fast.

This is the hand over film the new generation so hope they do it justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,996 ✭✭✭conorhal

Tony EH wrote: »
    Yes, because that's just silly.

The guy who saved the galaxy is relegated to a "myth" just a few years after the event. But someone who is essentially just some guy that helped out she knows about and his ship as well.

None of that nonsense is needed.

In fairness, that ship did blow up the deathstar, end an emperor's reign and conclude a war, so frankly it should be as famous as the Enola Gay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Dunno. I haven’t gotten to reading that new thrawn book, treason. Must get to it

How many Thrawn books are there ? a trilogy ?]

How many Thrawn books are there ? a trilogy ?]

Yeah. New ones. Not th old ones. Thrawn, thrawn Alliances, thrawn treason.

Middle one is the best. It jumps back and forth in time him dealing with Anakin and later with Vader. He’s figured out Anakin is Vader and is somehow able to piss Vader off and not die :)
    Haven’t read the final one yet though. But krennic and Tarkin are in it. Loads of back biting and internal backstabbing was I get the emperors favour I believe

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

conorhal wrote: »
    In fairness, that ship did blow up the deathstar, end an emperor's reign and conclude a war, so frankly it should be as famous as the Enola Gay.

Han set the explosives that blew up the shield of the Death Star that allowed a friend of Hans to use his ship to blow up a deathstar. I’m not sure how much more Hans could of done to blow up the space station.

Luke practically Gandhi conceded a fight by throwing down his own weapons, allowing an old guy to nearly kill him with an electric shock. He had to be saved by his dad.:pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,518 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I can't remember, was Luke's presence on the Death Star even an 'official' part of the plan? It wasn't, right? In which case it tracks that from Joe Coruscant's point of view, the Battle of Endor was entirely a barely-won battle with the rebels; I doubt the contribution of some random pilot & adherent to a mystical religion long forgotten was part of the narrative.

pixelburp wrote: »
    I can't remember, was Luke's presence on the Death Star even an 'official' part of the plan? It wasn't, right? In which case it tracks that from Joe Coruscant's point of view, the Battle of Endor was entirely a barely-won battle with the rebels; I doubt the contribution of some random pilot & adherent to a mystical religion long forgotten was part of the narrative.

The battle of Endor was broadcast live on the holonet across the galaxy. Not kidding.
    You have to remember your mon mothmas and leais were political entities known by all. And Han and Luke too. Portrayed as terrorists by imperial media. Think of Gerry Adams and you have it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Hard to tell with Abrams because he doesn’t fully think through his ideas, but that shot of “Rey” at the end looks more like a dream or vision sequence.

She’s probably a clone. Who cares. The character is so drab and 2 dimensional anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,297 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

True. But why would she know THAT, but think that Luke Skywalker (the bloke that instrumental in blowing up 2 death stars) was a "myth"?

There’s that temple guard blade. You have to hit play

https://twitter.com/alderaanianr/status/1165319034226843648?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 60,643 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

489142.jpg

I can see them using Mitth'raw'nuruodo for everyone who read the books and wants to see him on the big screen and then killing him off after about 5 seconds.

That or just have Thrawn as a 5 second, blink-and-you'll-miss-him cameo on the bridge of a First Order / Imperial ship.

• Advertisement

You don’t need Thrawn when you have Allegiant General Pryde :)
    Fairly sure he’s the admiral of that hidden fleet.

star_wars_the_rise_of_skywalker_allegiant_general_pryde_and_gene_1223906.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 60,643 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Paint him blue in post production and add red eyes and you have Thrawn.

Abrams has a history of this...... Khan Noonien Singh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Relikk

faceman wrote: »
    Hard to tell with Abrams because he doesn’t fully think through his ideas, but that shot of “Rey” at the end looks more like a dream or vision sequence.

And more from Kylo Ren's point of view rather than Rey's.

This whole farce would have been better if they had just made it bleedin Thrawn in the first place.

Now you have me wondering is this a misdirect and your idea is actually what’s happening.
    Id ove it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Given that the Thrawn wouldn't really be known by most fans where as Khan was an iconic character, I doubt we will see the Thrawn at all, or at best, a cameo

Here comes the extra curricular homework
    The series about the knights of ren is a must read
    https://twitter.com/sleemo_/status/1141423104033529857?s=21

https://twitter.com/sleemo_/status/1141422524099485696?s=21

https://twitter.com/sleemo_/status/1141456666031992833?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 6,996 ✭✭✭conorhal

Tony EH wrote: »
    True. But why would she know THAT, but think that Luke Skywalker (the bloke that instrumental in blowing up 2 death stars) was a "myth"?

*Sigh*, because Jar Jar Abrams didn't want to write a scene full of exposition explaining all that so everybody just knows pertinent information when he needs them to and when he doesn't then they don't.

You're expecting some kind of internal logical consistency from a writer that just wants to paint iconic images that tickle your 'member-berries, like the shell of the deathstar crashed onto a planet, simply because it looks cool even though it doesn't make a lick of sense.

It blew up into space dust remember JJ?
    Yeah, but it will look cool!
    Even if a chunk that big survived, it ploughing into a planet would be an extinction level event for the place on impact!
    Yeah, but it will look cool! And Rey will use it to broadcast Luke's inspiring message of ....uh.. giving up!
    So not only did it blow up and smash into a planet..... it still works?

Oh F*cuk off JJ.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

I wonder how he'll bring Palpatine back .... really really looking forward to this.

Cool poster

MV5BZWU1NDI3YjEtZTlmMy00Y2FmLWI1ZDYtMjYwNDUxYTdlODllXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODkzNTgxMDg@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,675,1000_AL_.jpg

• Advertisement

*Sigh*, because Jar Jar Abrams didn't want to write a scene full of exposition explaining all that so everybody just knows pertinent information when he needs them to and when he doesn't then they don't.

You're expecting some kind of internal logical consistency from a writer that just wants to paint iconic images that tickle your 'member-berries, like the shell of the deathstar crashed onto a planet, simply because it looks cool even though it doesn't make a lick of sense.

It blew up into space dust remember JJ?
    Even if a chunk that big survived, it ploughing into a planet would be an extinction level event for the place on impact!
    Yeah, but it will look cool! And Rey will use it to broadcast Luke's inspiring message of ....uh.. giving up!
    So not only did it blow up and smash into a planet..... it still works?

Oh F*cuk off JJ.

I'm really not, you know. ;)

Advertisement