Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker **Spoilers from post 2076**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I wonder how he'll bring Palpatine back .... really really looking forward to this.

Cool poster

MV5BZWU1NDI3YjEtZTlmMy00Y2FmLWI1ZDYtMjYwNDUxYTdlODllXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODkzNTgxMDg@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,675,1000_AL_.jpg

I just hope its not a 60 second cameo by Papa Palpatine. I am all on the nostalgia train on this and dont care who they bring back.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Drumpot wrote: »
    I just hope its not a 60 second cameo by Papa Palpatine. I am all on the nostalgia train on this and dont care who they bring back.

pffft ... don't say that, I really hope he's a main character here!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Runaway hit highest gross beating The force Awakens
    John Boyega said over the weekend that Palpatine is central to the story. And if you’ve been following all the new canon they’ve been setting it up to be Palpatine all along.

Way back four years ago when all the new canon started they already had the emperor in mind. He had a plan just like order 66 in the event of his death. Operation Cinder. The imperial fleet were to go and destroy absolutely everything. They came close but failed the last battle was over Jakuu. Remember the star destroyer wreck in the sand in TFA? He had a sith research facility or something there and that’s ironically where the last battle was and they were defeated.

He also ordered fleets into hiding. From one was born the first order. The other, we see in the trailer here. That’s the story to be told. He was the most powerful sith of his time and a master long game tactician. Also his master, Plagueis,,has studied and experimented with immortality so that’s in there too. Let’s see how that plays out.

https://twitter.com/cmwashby/status/1166033742894436352

• Registered Users Posts: 18,338 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I wonder how he'll bring Palpatine back .... really really looking forward to this.

Cool poster

MV5BZWU1NDI3YjEtZTlmMy00Y2FmLWI1ZDYtMjYwNDUxYTdlODllXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODkzNTgxMDg@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,675,1000_AL_.jpg

it has been commented on that the image is ripped from a Hot Toys figure :D

https://twitter.com/_Vs_The_World/status/1165905309598175233

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

John Boyega said over the weekend that Palpatine is central to the story. And if you’ve been following all the new canon they’ve been setting it up to be Palpatine all along.

Way back four years ago when all the new canon started they already had the emperor in mind. He had a plan just like order 66 in the event of his death. Operation Cinder. The imperial fleet were to go and destroy absolutely everything. They came close but failed the last battle was over Jakuu. Remember the star destroyer wreck in the sand in TFA? He had a sith research facility or something there and that’s ironically where the last battle was and they were defeated.

He also ordered fleets into hiding. From one was born the first order. The other, we see in the trailer here. That’s the story to be told. He was the most powerful sith of his time and a master long game tactician. Also his master, Plagueis,,has studied and experimented with immortality so that’s in there too. Let’s see how that plays out.

oh wow!!
    excitement growing !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Homelander

The poster is absolutely crap though. It looks like a poster for a kids cartoon.

It’s just a teaser poster it’s not the final one you’ll see in the cinemas. That comes October I think

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,516 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

So then I wonder if the 'Rey is a clone' theory then also attempt to validate Johnson's own approach that Rey was a 'nobody', cos the clone theory doesn't negate that; nor indeed would it necessarily negate the idea that her parents were 'paupers', but also gives her the kind of melodramatic twist that Abrams loves.

They could have been scavengers who happened upon the Death Star ruins, or something clone related, where they find a baby / child among the wreckage. They take Rey in and try to raise her, stuff happens, and they leave her on Jakku for Dramatic Reasons - where the parents either die in a pauper's grave as mentioned, or perhaps get killed by Imperial types trying to find the missing clone. Thus Rey grows up unaware of her true identity and potential.

Homelander wrote: »
    The poster is absolutely crap though. It looks like a poster for a kids cartoon.

This one is way cooler. Looks exactly like some of the original ones

https://twitter.com/starwarsadd_ita/status/1165602066401808384?s=21

pixelburp wrote: »
    So then I wonder if the 'Rey is a clone' theory then also attempt to validate Johnson's own approach that Rey was a 'nobody', cos the clone theory doesn't negate that; nor indeed would it necessarily negate the idea that her parents were 'paupers', but also gives her the kind of melodramatic twist that Abrams loves.

They could have been scavengers who happened upon the Death Star ruins, or something clone related, where they find a baby / child among the wreckage. They take Rey in and try to raise her, stuff happens, and they leave her on Jakku for Dramatic Reasons - where the parents either die in a pauper's grave as mentioned, or perhaps get killed by Imperial types trying to find the missing clone. Thus Rey grows up unaware of her true identity and potential.

I effing love that. That would be brilliant. Would link her to Palpatine who was experimenting with force sensitive babies, in clone wars.

I’ve a feeling your idea will be far more satisfying than what we get though. But I do love your idea.

• Advertisement

Homelander wrote: »

What ?? I thought the poster was f*cking cool!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,516 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I effing love that. That would be brilliant. Would link her to Palpatine who was experimenting with force sensitive babies, in clone wars.

I’ve a feeling your idea will be far more satisfying than what we get though. But I do love your idea.

Well it'd split the difference; fair to say the 'nobody' arc in Last Jedi was divisive, and while it could be re-written that Kylo was simply lying it'd be cheap and a little bit discourteous to Johnson to just mothball his idea. Instead, with a little tinkering her status as a nobody persists, albeit with the suitably melodramatic twist that it was because she literally is a nobody, being a mere clone originally meant to be some kind of zombie palpatine puppet.

We'll see I guess, but there's no way that's 'our' Rey, 'cos Disney wouldn't let Abrams sully her marketing potential. So if it is a clone - and not a dream - then stands to there's some Mad Science shenanigans going on, and cloning is a known quantity in this universe.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

One theory is the battle for Jakku was supposed to be a defeat and a mechanism to lul the new republic into a false sense of security so they would power down the military machine.

We also know that that both Jedi and the Sith have ways of going beyond death. So I'd say either he will possess someone else or he didn't die and just went into hiding.

Like given that Luke and Vader got off the deathstar no reason to think he couldn't have.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Well it'd split the difference; fair to say the 'nobody' arc in Last Jedi was divisive, and while it could be re-written that Kylo was simply lying it'd be cheap and a little bit discourteous to Johnson to just mothball his idea. Instead, with a little tinkering her status as a nobody persists, albeit with the suitably melodramatic twist that it was because she literally is a nobody, being a mere clone originally meant to be some kind of zombie palpatine puppet.

We'll see I guess, but there's no way that's 'our' Rey, 'cos Disney wouldn't let Abrams sully her marketing potential. So if it is a clone - and not a dream - then stands to there's some Mad Science shenanigans going on, and cloning is a known quantity in this universe.

They have said her parentage is addressed and it’s satisfying. Kylo was lying by my read of it. Trying to manipulate her using her biggest fear rather than any actual proof or reality.

Looking at the pic it really didn’t look like Rey.

It’s also exactly the same angle and shot as Vader coming into the cave in Luke’s vision in empire. (Jj copying again outcry here we come). Reckon it’s either palpatines spirit taking her form or she is a clone and he’s in another version of her. Or it’s just a vision.

Calhoun wrote: »
    One theory is the battle for Jakku was supposed to be a defeat and a mechanism to lul the new republic into a false sense of security so they would power down the military machine.

We also know that that both Jedi and the Sith have ways of going beyond death. So I'd say either he will possess someone else or he didn't die and just went into hiding.

Like given that Luke and Vader got off the deathstar no reason to think he couldn't have.

Yeah the new republic disbanded and stood down all their military. Forgot that. Leia was seen as a rabble rouser in the senate for trying to make them aware Of the first order and trying to get the republic to assemble a military to deal with them.
    God the new canon book are packed with the political good stuff.

Palpatine could well have survived. He only fell down the shaft of his tower. The blue sort of rush of energy you see flushing up is back in this according to some rumors and it’s a ‘force storm’ he inhabits. Whatever that means

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Yeah the new republic disbanded and stood down all their military. Forgot that. Leia was seen as a rabble rouser in the senate for trying to make them aware Of the first order and trying to get the republic to assemble a military to deal with them.
    God the new canon book are packed with the political good stuff.

Palpatine could well have survived. He only fell down the shaft of his tower. The blue sort of rush of energy you see flushing up is back in this according to some rumors and it’s a ‘force storm’ he inhabits. Whatever that means

Its funny if you think about it back then when these films came out we would have been like "yah hes dead". Now we know that a Sith Master such as himself and being so strong in the force there is no way a fall like that would cripple him that easily.

Calhoun wrote: »
    Its funny if you think about it back then when these films came out we would have been like "yah hes dead". Now we know that a Sith Master such as himself and being so strong in the force there is no way a fall like that would cripple him that easily.

Absolutely. You see Luke stopping his fall using the force in tlj. Palpatine is arguably far more powerful. Could be where they go with it.
    He’s definitely not just an Easter egg add on though. I’m delighted he’s central to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Of the last few movies made the only one I found enjoyable was "Rogue One." It was more serious and dark, perhaps without trying to be, where the others *tried* to be serious but pretty much were quip-filled winks at the camera. "The Last Jedi" wasn't as bad as the Jar-jar Binks/Hayden whatever-his-name were, but it got to the point when watching we were cracking jokes throughout, as that was more interesting.

Have yet to see the Solo side-story, very low expectations given the hammy casting of Woody Harrelson.
    The Rise of Skywalker trailer, eh, not inspiring. The special effects are kind of secondary to the stories by now, and the stories and acting and especially in the case of "The Last Jedi" the writing really matter and haven't been that great.

FWIW old fogey here who saw Star Wars in NYC in 1977, have seen every one of the films except for "Solo:" and that's just a matter of time.
    The Last Jedi being the first one seen only on DVD. It definitely was a step down from "The Force Awakens," perhaps they're all too Disney-fied now.

Igotadose wrote: »
    Of the last few movies made the only one I found enjoyable was "Rogue One." It was more serious and dark, perhaps without trying to be, where the others *tried* to be serious but pretty much were quip-filled winks at the camera. "The Last Jedi" wasn't as bad as the Jar-jar Binks/Hayden whatever-his-name were, but it got to the point when watching we were cracking jokes throughout, as that was more interesting.

Have yet to see the Solo side-story, very low expectations given the hammy casting of Woody Harrelson.
    The Rise of Skywalker trailer, eh, not inspiring. The special effects are kind of secondary to the stories by now, and the stories and acting and especially in the case of "The Last Jedi" the writing really matter and haven't been that great.

FWIW old fogey here who saw Star Wars in NYC in 1977, have seen every one of the films except for "Solo:" and that's just a matter of time.
    The Last Jedi being the first one seen only on DVD. It definitely was a step down from "The Force Awakens," perhaps they're all too Disney-fied now.

Solo is great fun. It’s the tone and spirit of the original Star Wars. It’s fluff and you could not see it and not miss out on the story as it relates to the galaxy but it does add a lot and ticks loads of boxes. That’s a complaint loads had of it but it’s all harmless. How Han met chewie. How he gets the falcon. the kessell run. If you like the tone and feel of rogue one you might be into the mandalorian. There’s a thread about it here somewhere and it has the trailer. That looks like it’s gonna go even darker than rogue one.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

. If you like the tone and feel of rogue one you might be into the mandalorian. There’s a thread about it here somewhere and it has the trailer. That looks like it’s gonna go even darker than rogue one.

Have seen that trailer too. It look so formulaic-western, maybe with some Stephen King-Gunslinger type action. At least one scene looks stolen from Peckinpah/Clint Eastwood. Westerns can be great movies without tons of action (The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance is an all-time favorite).

But, I'll probably will see it when it's out, what the heck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,484 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Igotadose wrote: »

His roguish cracker persona suits the role and the film IMO. Paul Bettany hams it up even more, in a different way.

I liked woody in solo.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,621 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I would love to see them finish the 9 films with the bad guys winning.

Can't see it happening though, the goodies always have to win out in the end.

I thought the best films in SW was when the dark side came out on top.

NIMAN wrote: »

I thought the best films in SW was when the dark side came out on top.

So the prequels are the best ones? Not an opinion you hear often here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,621 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

So the prequels are the best ones? Not an opinion you hear often here :)

Had more Empire in my head!

Had more Empire in my head!

The bad guys always have the best toys best ships best music and best clothes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,484 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Game of Thrones spoiler
    Even Game of Thrones couldn't break that particular mould. I thought they were lining it up for Cersei to come out on top, which would have been a much more satisfying end IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,934 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

the goodies win, and then they make another trilogy where it turns out they didn't actually win. I'm underwhelmed by Palpatine returning, I felt ROTJ wrapped up that whole story and bringing him back (and apparently his entire fleet) negates what happened in that movie. If they kill him again this time is he really dead or will he be back in episode XI or whatever...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Whats going on here?

screen_shot_2019-08-26_at_2.57.17_pm_large.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Have to admit the new trailer has me excited. The first was meh.

Advertisement