Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker **Spoilers from post 2076**

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Runaway hit highest gross beating The force Awakens
    py2006 wrote: »
    Whats going on here?

screen_shot_2019-08-26_at_2.57.17_pm_large.png

Do you want to know?
    they try retrieve something from his memory which was wiped at the end of revenge of the sith. But it goes wrong and a file is corrupted. We won’t know the outcome or how it plays out. Remember he knows Anakin and obi wan and saw the whole events of the prequels period. So anyone’s guess what they’re looking for

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Do you want to know?
    they try retrieve something from his memory which was wiped at the end of revenge of the sith. But it goes wrong and a file is corrupted. We won’t know the outcome or how it plays out. Remember he knows Anakin and obi wan and saw the whole events of the prequels period. So anyone’s guess what they’re looking for

That droid has had so many memory wipes I'm surprised that he still able to stand upright. He can't remember anything from one movie to the next, I'm sure he's even forgetting stuff within the same movie as well.
    If you want to know anything about the history of the universe then ask R2, but he knows when to keep quiet about what he knows and where he's been.

robinph wrote: »
    That droid has had so many memory wipes I'm surprised that he still able to stand upright. He can't remember anything from one movie to the next, I'm sure he's even forgetting stuff within the same movie as well.
    If you want to know anything about the history of the universe then ask R2, but he knows when to keep quiet about what he knows and where he's been.

Lucas always said the whole thing is seen through the droids eyes and the final story was to have R2 playing it for someone like a hundred years later.

R2 has been woefully ignored and misused in these films. I hate that. He’s not even in any of th marketing for this one or the last one. Not once

• Registered Users Posts: 16,484 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

loyatemu wrote: »
    the goodies win, and then they make another trilogy where it turns out they didn't actually win. I'm underwhelmed by Palpatine returning, I felt ROTJ wrapped up that whole story and bringing him back (and apparently his entire fleet) negates what happened in that movie. If they kill him again this time is he really dead or will he be back in episode XI or whatever...

Be like the Halloween sequels, where they kept coming up with ever-more preposterous justifications for bringing Myers back. I could like with the emperor striking back if it provided some sort of explanation for who or what Snoke is. To me having a new super-villain appear out of thin air is just as unsatisfactory as a resurrected emperor. To me, everything was wrapped up so conclusively at the end of ROTJ, any sort of continuation of the story was going to seem contrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

They need more killer robots like from rogue one or KOTOR.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Calhoun wrote: »

Love Me some HK47 , Would love alot of that game make it to film Revans story in particular is amazing

Be like the Halloween sequels, where they kept coming up with ever-more preposterous justifications for bringing Myers back. I could like with the emperor striking back if it provided some sort of explanation for who or what Snoke is. To me having a new super-villain appear out of thin air is just as unsatisfactory as a resurrected emperor. To me, everything was wrapped up so conclusively at the end of ROTJ, any sort of continuation of the story was going to seem contrived.

Think you’d might see snoke explained. Thinking he might be in the emperors employ. He’s able to tell Kylo about Vader’s failure as he saw it for his love for his son and killing the emperor in the throne room and it’s related like he was there first hand. I’d say you’re going to see it that he was the stand in under the emperors control until he was ready to return.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Total flop and a financial loss for Disney
    Lucas always said the whole thing is seen through the droids eyes and the final story was to have R2 playing it for someone like a hundred years later.

R2 has been woefully ignored and misused in these films. I hate that. He’s not even in any of th marketing for this one or the last one. Not once

Lucas still gets royalties for the characters that were created under his ownership of the franchise, hence the redesigns of the Imperial and Rebel forces and the lack of any real story focus on the old characters unless its an absolute plot requirement.

Calhoun wrote: »

The Benioff and Weiss trilogy is heavily rumored to be KOTOR or an adaptation of it. Never played that game but man are the fans of it loud and numerous

• Registered Users Posts: 18,338 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Its difficult to see them coming up with a convincing ending . the last movie burned through a lot of fan goodwill, any ending now is going to come across as flawed. Will anyone actually believe the main plot points were developed at the start of the 3 movies?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

silverharp wrote: »
    Its difficult to see them coming up with a convincing ending . the last movie burned through a lot of fan goodwill, any ending now is going to come across as flawed. Will anyone actually believe the main plot points were developed at the start of the 3 movies?

Come across as flawed to who? The perpetually aggrieved? They’ll complain no matter what and across all franchises it seems. The hardcore don’t even make up 1% of the box office total. Joe public casual fan is the body of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Total flop and a financial loss for Disney
    Come across as flawed to who? The perpetually aggrieved? They’ll complain no matter what and across all franchises it seems. The hardcore don’t even make up 1% of the box office total. Joe public casual fan is the body of it.

Disney along with everyone else knows that ROS will make money at the box office regardless of the movies quality. What Disney is terrified about is the "hardcore 1%" that left after TLJ not returning to the franchise and buying the merchandise, as the last thing they need is Star Wars products sitting on shelves like it has been the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

I don't really see it as an end but more of a beginning, the first two film really got rid of the older cast and now it's time for the new actors to have their moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Relikk

Never played that game but man are the fans of it loud and numerous

For good reason. They're some of the best stories in any Star Wars medium.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

To me having a new super-villain appear out of thin air is just as unsatisfactory as a resurrected emperor. To me, everything was wrapped up so conclusively at the end of ROTJ, any sort of continuation of the story was going to seem contrived.
    Yeah, I'd be a lot more down with The Emperor returning if it had been in TFA. Reappearing in IX without such as a mention before, appears very contrived to me.
    Think you’d might see snoke explained. Thinking he might be in the emperors employ. He’s able to tell Kylo about Vader’s failure as he saw it for his love for his son and killing the emperor in the throne room and it’s related like he was there first hand. I’d say you’re going to see it that he was the stand in under the emperors control until he was ready to return.
    There'll have to be some damn good exposition for this to work for me.

Snoke was the new trilogy's emperor. They rehashed the greatest hits and similar to the OT, held Snoke back till partway through the series. Now he's been written out, suddenly Palpatine is regenerated like some sort of Space Sauron whose power has returned? Naah.

That said, I never liked Snoke, and I love ROTJ. So I'll embrace retcon writing... go Palpatine!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

I agree with Dades.

For this trilogy to culminate in the return of Palpatine demonstrates how unncessary (aside from filling Disney's coffers) and narrow it is when compared to Lucas's work.

I know it's fashionable to sh*t on Lucas but the story was finished. There was nowhere else to go. The Empire and the Emporer was dead and all was well.

Kathleen Kennedy's biggest mistake for the new trilogy was to not appoint a director who knew the start, middle and end of their vision. I was shocked to hear that there was no plan for The Last Jedi and that Rian Johnson was free to do whatever he wanted. He did, and he killed Snoke, so now JJ Abrams has no choice but to replace him a guy who absoutely 100% died in Return of the Jedi. Why not just have JJ Abrams direct all three movies instead of this?!

On the plus side, at least all of our favourite characters from the original trilogy came back and died :confused:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

On the plus side, at least all of our favourite characters from the original trilogy came back and died :confused:

Did R2D2 get dismantled at any point? Had a couple of power surges but otherwise has been indestructible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

robinph wrote: »
    Did R2D2 get dismantled at any point? Had a couple of power surges but otherwise has been indestructible.

He and Lando will die in a freak gardening accident 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 18,338 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

the film is going to do well but I don't think its going to generate the excitement that it deserves. I'd class myself as a casual fan with a short memory but I would have had more anticipation for the last of the LOTR or the last Marvel movie. For it being the final movie of 9 of the greatest film franchise ever, I just get the feeling it will be a bit underwhelming

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

In retrospect, the casting of Ian McDiarmid as Palpatine was genius. Given the aura and apparent age of the character, you'd think the natural thing would've been to cast a thespian legend of Alec Guinness vintage; I wonder did they consider Peter Cushing? Now McDiarmid is the ideal vintage to play the resurrected emperor 35+ years on.

• Advertisement

silverharp wrote: »
    the film is going to do well but I don't think its going to generate the excitement that it deserves. I'd class myself as a casual fan with a short memory but I would have had more anticipation for the last of the LOTR or the last Marvel movie. For it being the final movie of 9 of the greatest film franchise ever, I just get the feeling it will be a bit underwhelming

I can see that too. There’s a lot of people sad that this is the end. There’s a very vocal cohort still online complaining about a film two years avians saying they’re boycotting it. Does anyone believe they won’t go? Or the average casual fan won’t go? The marketing machine will kick in October and it’ll be relentless. I don’t care how much it makes. Just hope it wraps it all up and I like it.

If we don’t get force ghost Anakin I will walk out furious though. It’s his story. He needs to be there.

In retrospect, the casting of Ian McDiarmid as Palpatine was genius. Given the aura and apparent age of the character, you'd think the natural thing would've been to cast a thespian legend of Alec Guinness vintage; I wonder did they consider Peter Cushing? Now McDiarmid is the ideal vintage to play the resurrected emperor 35+ years on.

They nailed it casting McDiarmaid for sure. Ever seen the clip of him telling the story of how he hit the job? He’s gas and it’s brilliant.

Ewan McGregor is older now than Alec Guinness was when he was cast. I read that but I’m not sure I believe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Ewan McGregor is older now than Alec Guinness was when he was cast. I read that but I’m not sure I believe it.

Alec Guinness was 63 when he played Obi Wan. McGregor's 48. Iain McDarmaid is 75

Alec Guinness: born 2 April 1914
    Ewan McGregor: born 31 March 1971

Now my maths is basic but 63 is older than 48.

Igotadose wrote: »
    Iain McDarmaid is 75

I was expecting him to be a bit more. Only in his late 30s in ROTJ? Hard to believe...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

I was expecting him to be a bit more. Only in his late 30s in ROTJ? Hard to believe...

Makeup. It's a beautiful thing. Kind of explains him being around now!

I did say I didn’t believe it. Speaks more to the endless clickbait sites out there pushing mad fake stories. There’s millions of them

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

If we don’t get force ghost Anakin I will walk out furious though. It’s his story. He needs to be there.
    He shouldn't get to be a force ghost though, at least not hanging with Yoda and Obi Wan like he was in ROTJ.

Death bed repentance doesn't earn you a free pass to hang with the good guys in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭Inviere

Dades wrote: »
    Death bed repentance doesn't earn you a free pass to hang with the good guys in my book.

He repented a bit before his death bed though to be fair. He turned to the light to save Luke, and the Emperor would have killed luke if it wasn't for Anakin. Doing so caused his death, not the other way around. Also, in the original version of the film, long before Hayden C, he still became a force ghost with the image of the original actor - so it was always Lucas' intention to have it this way.

• Advertisement

If he is, I wonder will they wheel out James Earl Jones for a few words to round out the cameo? Course the great thing about that role is he can do it even if he literally has to be wheeled out. a bit of deathbed wheeziness might even enhance the turn:P

Advertisement