Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker **Spoilers from post 2076**

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Runaway hit highest gross beating The force Awakens
    Dades wrote: »
    He shouldn't get to be a force ghost though, at least not hanging with Yoda and Obi Wan like he was in ROTJ.

Death bed repentance doesn't earn you a free pass to hang with the good guys in my book.

He only killed a few kids. Who hasnt? He’ll be there

picture it.
    Palpatine kicking Rey and Kylos ass.
    Huge big force rumble in the speakers. Camera cuts to Anakin skywalker force ghost standing there. Rey and Kylo shocked! Palpatine starts begging Anakin to help him.
    Anakin goes ‘you two should leave now’. They leave. And obi wan yoda Luke qui gon mace windu force ghosts all appear and do what they should have ****ing done long ago and they all take on Palpatine and break his spirit and vanquish him forever.

It’s so sad that our head canon is often better than whaat we get

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Igotadose wrote: »
    I was expecting him to be a bit more. Only in his late 30s in ROTJ? Hard to believe...

Makeup. It's a beautiful thing. Kind of explains him being around now!
    It was an improvement over the old woman in a mask who played the emperor in the first release of Empire.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,614 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

loyatemu wrote: »
    the goodies win, and then they make another trilogy where it turns out they didn't actually win. I'm underwhelmed by Palpatine returning, I felt ROTJ wrapped up that whole story and bringing him back (and apparently his entire fleet) negates what happened in that movie. If they kill him again this time is he really dead or will he be back in episode XI or whatever...

This by a billion

Storylines like this undermine audience goodwill who invest in franchises

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Relikk

Except it's not that much of a surprise to Star Wars fans, seeing as he has come back a few times in the original expanded universe books in spirit form and as a clone. Not a fan of it, myself, but it's not completely unexpected.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,297 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

loyatemu wrote: »
    the goodies win, and then they make another trilogy where it turns out they didn't actually win. I'm underwhelmed by Palpatine returning, I felt ROTJ wrapped up that whole story and bringing him back (and apparently his entire fleet) negates what happened in that movie. If they kill him again this time is he really dead or will he be back in episode XI or whatever...

Having the Emperor return is basically Disney's apology for letting Rian Johnson subtract Snoke in such a blase manner.
    "Sorry guys, we fucked up. We weren't paying attention to Rian's stupid script, cos we were too busy with damage control on 'Solo'. But, remember this baddie! Yeh, he was the real big bad all along, although there's nothing at all in the other two films to even suggest that!

Please give us money."
    ^
    Actual quote from Bob Iger.

• Advertisement

Tony EH wrote: »
    Having the Emperor return is basically Disney's apology for letting Rian Johnson subtract Snoke in such a blase manner.

^
    Actual quote from Bob Iger.

Tony. The head of Disney bob iger never said that. He’d be out of a job if he said that. That’s some warped fake news bullsh!t right there and you probably believe it

• Registered Users Posts: 18,338 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

T That’s some warped fake news bullsh!t right there and you probably believe it

erm i'd say he probably wrote it :D

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Tony. The head of Disney bob iger never said that. He’d be out of a job if he said that. That’s some warped fake news bullsh!t right there and you probably believe it

You may find this website helpful.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/joke

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,444 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Oh man. Snoke's death. What a ****ing scene. Think that was the moment that cemented The Last Jedi as a truly great film for me rather than just a really good one (although it was the second viewing that really sealed it for me). Snoke was the absolute worst, least interesting character introduced in The Force Awakens, and to see Johnson have the same complete lack of interest in him and his backstory as I did was a thrill. Sat there with a giddy grin on my face as this smarmy sub-Palpatine was ruthlessly dispatched. Instead RJ weaponises this bland, CG 'big bad' to focus down on the emotional and thematic core of the film(s): Snoke is nothing, this is Kylo's story, and let's get on with that. And the sheer visual clarity and brutality of the thing: Snoke's bottom half just miserably sitting thereon the throne in the background as Rey and Kylo prepare to fight together, or the careful but unambiguous shift out of focus as his body slides apart (that's how you do PG violence).

I have no idea what I'll come out of The Rise of Skywalker thinking - I'd hope at least Abrams offers up the sort of visually splendid nonsense rollercoaster he often does. But TLJ is such a magnificently complete, clear-headed work I don't really care - this is just a bonus epilogue for me, but hopefully an entertaining one.

Tony EH wrote: »
    You may find this website helpful.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/joke

I’m sorry. I reread it and got it.
    I spend to much time in Brexit leave groups. The borders of satire and humor and truth are long since destroyed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

robinph wrote: »
    Did R2D2 get dismantled at any point? Had a couple of power surges but otherwise has been indestructible.

In The Clone Wars after Anakin crashed his star fighter, R2 was captured by a scavenger (not Rey) and taken to Grievious who dismantled him to find his memory had never been wiped.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Igotadose wrote: »
    Makeup. It's a beautiful thing. Kind of explains him being around now!

So is CGI sometimes. I thought Tarkin in Rogue One was amazing.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Inviere wrote: »
    He repented a bit before his death bed though to be fair. He turned to the light to save Luke, and the Emperor would have killed luke if it wasn't for Anakin.
    Yeah, I had typed "death bed (ish)" but figured we all new the backstory. So he turned good 30 minutes before kicking it.
    Inviere wrote: »
    Also, in the original version of the film, long before Hayden C, he still became a force ghost with the image of the original actor - so it was always Lucas' intention to have it this way.
    I'm also aware of this, and reserve the right to say that was a mistake back then, too.

If they need more ghosts show me Qui Gon!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,484 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Dades wrote: »

If they need more ghosts show me Qui Gon!

I will find you and I will kill you Palpatine. Oh you're already dead... well in that case I will find you and...mediate in front of you...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,185 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Oh man. Snoke's death. What a ****ing scene. Think that was the moment that cemented The Last Jedi as a truly great film for me rather than just a really good one (although it was the second viewing that really sealed it for me). Snoke was the absolute worst, least interesting character introduced in The Force Awakens, and to see Johnson have the same complete lack of interest in him and his backstory as I did was a thrill. Sat there with a giddy grin on my face as this smarmy sub-Palpatine was ruthlessly dispatched. Instead RJ weaponises this bland, CG 'big bad' to focus down on the emotional and thematic core of the film(s): Snoke is nothing, this is Kylo's story, and let's get on with that. And the sheer visual clarity and brutality of the thing: Snoke's bottom half just miserably sitting thereon the throne in the background as Rey and Kylo prepare to fight together, or the careful but unambiguous shift out of focus as his body slides apart (that's how you do PG violence).

I have no idea what I'll come out of The Rise of Skywalker thinking - I'd hope at least Abrams offers up the sort of visually splendid nonsense rollercoaster he often does. But TLJ is such a magnificently complete, clear-headed work I don't really care - this is just a bonus epilogue for me, but hopefully an entertaining one.

Watching it in the cinema.....it didn't bother me all that much other than the surprise of it, and I did enjoy Kylo taking centre stage. It was a couple of months later when I started to notice the anger towards the film but to be clear, I only thought it was a good film at best when leaving the cinema.

I can understand why die hard fans were angry because they want everything interlinked which is hilarious in a way; if they thought what Johnson did was bad wait until they get the D&D treatment.

Edit tbh I think that whole online backlash is half made up of clowns on YouTube who don't really care, but are using it to bump up their subscribers.

Snoke was the absolute worst, least interesting character introduced in The Force Awakens, and to see Johnson have the same complete lack of interest in him and his backstory as I did was a thrill.

I disagree abut him being uninteresting. I thought he was very interesting, especially given his mutilated look, his apparent size, his position within the galaxy with his rise to power and that he must be a force user if he was the master of another force user. So, what was he? A former student of the Jedi temple during Order 66? An ancient, dormant Sith lord or Jedi master? Among numerous other questions and directions it could have taken.

But sure, let's forget about all that and have half the movie based around some non-sensical space chase that could have been put to rest in 10 minutes if someone used their brain, and an utterly pointless soirée to Canto Bight. It was awful, and lazy.

Apparently StarWars.com spoiled the "dark Rey" , they amended their article since but some outlets reddit etc picked up on it

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

silverharp wrote: »
    Apparently StarWars.com spoiled the "dark Rey" , they amended their article since but some outlets reddit etc picked up on it

The slipped up and said it was a vision of Rey. Changed it after to the sight of Rey in dark garb. Words to that effect.

The slipped up and said it was a vision of Rey. Changed it after to the sight of Rey in dark garb. Words to that effect.

its what most people thought anyway I guess so hardly a shocker

• Advertisement

Brilliant :)

There's also this...

HuEY6GC.gif

Not a fan of that so much

Not a fan of that so much

Goes without saying, because it's a moronic theory. But a decent piss-take, nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 davr

Disappointing box office take less than a billion
    That's the biggest issue i have with TLJ is that it didn't move the story forward and wasted the goodwill fans had for Luke by making Reys training one big piss take essentially. He's also the (or one of) last and one of the most powerful force users in universe and he can't sense any greatness (or familial ties...possibly) in her. There was maybe 45 minutes of useful movie and the rest was irrelevant (imo) bloat. Now theres so many loose ends to be tied up with TROS I can't see anything other than a confused mess.

davr wrote: »
    That's the biggest issue i have with TLJ is that it didn't move the story forward and wasted the goodwill fans had for Luke by making Reys training one big piss take essentially. He's also the (or one of) last and one of the most powerful force users in universe and he can't sense any greatness (or familial ties...possibly) in her. There was maybe 45 minutes of useful movie and the rest was irrelevant (imo) bloat. Now theres so many loose ends to be tied up with TROS I can't see anything other than a confused mess.

He clearly says he’s ‘only seen raw power like this once before.’ And he didn’t train her at all.

Relikk wrote: »
    I disagree abut him being uninteresting. I thought he was very interesting, especially given his mutilated look, his apparent size, his position within the galaxy with his rise to power and that he must be a force user if he was the master of another force user. So, what was he? A former student of the Jedi temple during Order 66? An ancient, dormant Sith lord or Jedi master? Among numerous other questions and directions it could have taken.

But sure, let's forget about all that and have half the movie based around some non-sensical space chase that could have been put to rest in 10 minutes if someone used their brain, and an utterly pointless soirto Canto Bight. It was awful, and lazy.

Agreed.

I understand why some people may think that scene is kewl. But it was really just Johnson being too lazy to bother.

Snoke was shite. But he was shite in the way the 90% of the sequel trilogy was shite. He was a tired derivative of better things we've already seen before. He was Emperor 2.0 because Abrams hasn't a single original idea in his head.

But just writing him out, because you just couldn't be arsed to expand on something was terrible.

Not only that, but now we have the Emperor returning. :rolleyes:

This mess couldn't get any worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

I think Rian Johnson's time with the franchise is over for now, i think he personally took the transition between the older and newer generations a bit to seriously and handled it with very little finesse.

I am not even talking about the main cast but kill Ackbar and others offscreen (or on temporarily) was a bit much. His take on Luke was also very bad, its like he tried to mirror Yoda way too much before he agreed to train Luke. Except they never really did any serious onscreen training.

Then we had the scene on the gambling planet, which was kinda like when they went to Bespin in the empire strikes back but because of the long chase narrative and the conclusion it wasn't a satisfying end.

Its kinda like they let a huge star wars fan direct their film and they went full on nerd and added everything. I remember seeing an interview were George Lucas was giving him advice and saying he had way too many scenes built up and he had to cut it back.

Its like he wanted to do so much with it he got nothing done in a meaning fulway. I am hoping the story for the next one is a little bit more focused in the right manner, obviously it would be a shame to leave so much lore on the table but focusing on one arc might suit them well.

I’ve a feeling Snoke was the emperors Stand in until his return. That fleet hiding in the unknown regions in the trailer is probably where he is hiding his time. In whatever form that is. Who knows. Explaining he was like a regent leader while the emperor was in absentia would only take a line or two of dialogue.
    Snoke is jjs creation too. Can’t see him not including him even narratively

• Advertisement

LOL.

Haven't even bothered with the trailer for this rubbish yet, but this popped into my YouTube feed. Bloody algorithms. :pac:

Seriously. It's time to stop with these dumbass lightsabers.

Advertisement