Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker **Spoilers from post 2076**

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Runaway hit highest gross beating The force Awakens
    Is it Star Wars if it doesn’t have a lightsaber? There’s none in Solo and I can probably guess your feelings on that film :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,294 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

You've missed the point, spectacularly, once again.

Tony EH wrote: »
    You've missed the point, spectacularly, once again.

Blinded by the light(sabers)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,510 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Whatever sells toys I guess. Or doesn't, I suppose, given the apparent collapse of merchandise sales.

I still look at that flip-saber and just see a surefire way of slicing your legs off.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Whatever sells toys I guess. Or doesn't, I suppose, given the apparent collapse of merchandise sales.

I still look at that flip-saber and just see a surefire way of slicing your legs off.

You never saw the one being used as a helicopter then? Lethal. Take your eye with it

https://images.app.goo.gl/1wrJqP1tZNh5gSMt8
    1wrJqP1tZNh5gSMt8

• Advertisement

Health and safety isn't what it was during the Imperial reign.

Health and safety isn't what it was during the Imperial reign.

They weren’t exactly great at that either. Handrails. Not one to be seen.

The eagle eyed have spotted it looks like we’re going to Yavin. Death Star 1 wreckage. Same features from inside the trench run they seem to be dueling upon

https://twitter.com/reyssben/status/1166532963846299648?s=21

https://twitter.com/goedharted/status/1166714978029752320?s=21

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,510 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

You never saw the one being used as a helicopter then? Lethal. Take your eye with it

https://images.app.goo.gl/1wrJqP1tZNh5gSMt8
    1wrJqP1tZNh5gSMt8

That's just f*cking stupid. Every time I see a snippet of these SW cartoons, they look so dumb despite the protestations of how "good" they're meant to be.

I'll just say it: the Forece, Jedi and lightsabres are the worst part of Star Wars and would be a better series without them. Come at me.

That's just f*cking stupid. Every time I see a snippet of these SW cartoons, they look so dumb despite the protestations of how "good" they're meant to be.

I'll just say it: the Forece, Jedi and lightsabres are the worst part of Star Wars and would be a better series without them. Come at me.

It’s probably the dumbest use of such a beloved iconic piece of the lore. No defending it being so abused. But they are pretty great stories overall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,446 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Total flop and a financial loss for Disney

the eagle eyed have also noticed that Kylo's cape is cgi if you look at the reflection in the puddle

Skerries wrote: »
    the eagle eyed have also noticed that Kylo's cape is cgi if you look at the reflection in the puddle

Oh wow!! Just looked and it is! That’s mad

• Registered Users Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Ehh. IMO they'll end up boffing and starting the next generation of Jedi like Luke said at the end of "The Last Jedi." Rey came out of nowhere like the Jedi's of old. This way they can always come up with another.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,673 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Also known as the vampire cape theory, which has allowed Sidious to live on, similar to Voldemort in The Philosopher's Stone.

They weren’t exactly great at that either. Handrails. Not one to be seen.

I need that 'Family Guy' sketch now, don't I?

I need that 'Family Guy' sketch now, don't I?

Watch the thing. Would love to hear your thoughts. It’s only two minutes. It won’t hurt.

Evasive as ever but I believe him about Driver

https://twitter.com/mtvnews/status/1166846566868639752?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 12,446 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

pha7ueb588j31.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Relikk

Evasive as ever but I believe him about Driver

https://twitter.com/mtvnews/status/1166846566868639752?s=21

Driver has been great in the two movies thus far. I don't really expect anything less from him in IX.

Falcon would win every time.

You never saw empire strikes back?

You can’t hit a ship if you can’t see it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,338 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

pha7ueb588j31.png

there is a debate about this? now a cylon base star versus a Star Destroyer, or a Borg cube against a death star....

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Yeah, the Falcon would be easily tracked by the Enterprise sensors, and if it disappeared you'd have Spock / Data propose some techno-babble to suss out however Han made the ship "hide".

Besides, it's not a fair match-up anyway, pitting a tiny, refitted cargo ship against the pride of a multi-species fleet.
    silverharp wrote: »
    there is a debate about this? now a cylon base star versus a Star Destroyer, or a Borg cube against a death star....

For the first? Star Destroyer; I never got the impression those Basestars had much going for them beyond LOTS of missiles & cylon fighters (whereas the Star Destroyers seemed built to take & deliver a varied pounding)

The second? the Death Star ... ... for the first 3/4 shots " :D Then the Borg Cubes would modulate their shields to absorb shots from the Death Star and they'd be screwed :)

I always got the impression the Star Wars universe wasn't all that scientifically inclined. Like they all flew around & used inherited technology without having the wherewithal or knowledge to build or develop. Leaving aside the obvious answer of it being a superficial universe to sell tropes as toys, the SW universe looks identical even thousands of relative years ago during the KOTOR era.

Is the SW universe just a moribund set of planets, barely clinging onto civilisation while they strip-mine ancient technology they can't themselves advance upon? For whatever reason they can't develop new technologies beyond those they found in ruins or whatnot? Interesting to think about...

Yeah, the Falcon would be easily tracked by the Enterprise sensors, and if it disappeared you'd have Spock / Data propose some techno-babble to suss out however Han made the ship "hide".

Besides, it's not a fair match-up anyway, pitting a tiny, refitted cargo ship against the pride of a multi-species fleet.

For the first? Star Destroyer; I never got the impression those Basestars had much going for them beyond LOTS of missiles & cylon fighters (whereas the Star Destroyers seemed built to take & deliver a varied pounding)

The second? the Death Star ... ... for the first 3/4 shots " :D Then the Borg Cubes would modulate their shields to absorb shots from the Death Star and they'd be screwed :)

I always got the impression the Star Wars universe wasn't all that scientifically inclined. Like they all flew around & used inherited technology without having the wherewithal or knowledge to build or develop. Leaving aside the obvious answer of it being a superficial universe to sell tropes as toys, the SW universe looks identical even thousands of relative years ago during the KOTOR era.

Is the SW universe just a moribund set of planets, barely clinging onto civilisation while they strip-mine ancient technology they can't themselves advance upon? For whatever reason they can't develop new technologies beyond those they found in ruins or whatnot? Interesting to think about...

You traitor :)
    There is a word for when you reach peak technology and it can’t advance. Could be that.
    But like you say Star Wars isn’t and never was with the science or reality of science.
    It’s more with the space wizards and de force

No way would a borg cube survive against Death Star. Not only is the DS vastly bigger, one shot from the canon and the cube is toast. You’d need a lot of cubes to go against the Death Star to make even a dent I reckon. Do cubes have weapons outside the cutting ray thing?

You traitor :)
    There is a word for when you reach peak technology and it can’t advance. Could be that.
    But like you say Star Wars isn’t and never was with the science or reality of science.
    It’s more with the space wizards and de force

No, but the SW universe doesn't seem particularly technologically advanced, even by the metrics of "spaceship" fiction.

Obviously there's all sorts of physics-defying problems with Trek & Wars, but I've never got the sense of there being much progress in the SW galaxy; even the DeathStar just seems like a ludicrously big, inefficient gun - no more than those giant canons from WW2 they pulled around on rail-cars.

Sure there's the Star Killer base, that traps the energy from a Sun (pause for :rolleyes:), but if anything I'd argue this plays into my theory of the SW galaxy living off the snippets of not-properly-understood "Ancient Technology" and doesn't create advances of its own. Only a body as desperate and morally flexible as the First Order might dabble in old tech. that dangerous and vicious, diverting the kind of resources actual factions would use to feed and cloth its population. Maybe the only reason Coruscant is so advanced looking is that it's built on the top of an old Ancient power system equivalent, again one that nobody understands but can keep running.

If you want to get down the rabbit hole, maybe the "Force" is another Ancient tech, given Arthur C. Clarke's observation that any sufficient technology is indistinguishable from magic. Jedi are simply those with genetic markers left by the Ancients, the religion an obvious offshoot, while the dreaded "midichlorians" the otherwise banned term to describe what's just advanced genetics. That'd explain why Qui-Gon Jinn was considered such a maverick - he was a heretic.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,338 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

SW didn't tend to worry about logistics fuel/shield % etc. for sure and the Rebels economics was never explained?. Was the Death Star's main laser even consistent?, it could blow up a planet but only damage a ship or was it always a one shot kill? I cant remember

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

silverharp wrote: »
    SW didn't tend to worry about logistics fuel/shield % etc. for sure and the Rebels economics was never explained?. Was the Death Star's main laser even consistent?, it could blow up a planet but only damage a ship or was it always a one shot kill? I cant remember

Right, but the DeathStar still had various hard-points and gun turrets, so it had ship-based defences, whereby the same rules would apply. The station would probably destroy a few Cubes before the Borg rotated their shields and assimilated its crew.

Even Mr. Stevens, the head of Catering :eek:

They can adjust the power and strength of the Death Star cannon. Happened in rogue one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Jesus lads, really?

Right, but the DeathStar still had various hard-points and gun turrets, so it had ship-based defences, whereby the same rules would apply. The station would probably destroy a few Cubes before the Borg rotated their shields and assimilated its crew.

Even Mr. Stevens, the head of Catering :eek:

Star destroyer v enterprise. Star destroyer wins that one I reckon

• Advertisement

Star destroyer v enterprise. Star destroyer wins that one I reckon

Hmmm. Probably, though the Enterprise isn't technically a warship, so often the underdog within its own universe when up against Klingons & Romulans. In both those cases, I'd see those ships beating a Star Destroyer.
    Jesus lads, really?

Uhm. You're in a Star Wars thread.

Advertisement