Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker **Spoilers from post 2076**

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Runaway hit highest gross beating The force Awakens
    pixelburp wrote: »
    Hmmm. Probably, though the Enterprise isn't technically a warship, so often the underdog within its own universe when up against Klingons & Romulans. In both those cases, I'd see those ships beating a Star Destroyer.

Uhm. You're in a Star Wars thread.

Those two would be very nimble against a destroyer to be sure but sheer artillery and a whack of tie fighters in its belly id still say destroyer takes them out

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,510 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

But the Empire has to FIND the Bird of Prey or Romulan ship first, and I'm not sure they'd have the capabilities to detect a cloaked ship; the Romulans would likely sit happily scanning the destroyer, then open fire when they knew where to hit. Klingons maybe not so much, they'd probably just go hell for leather - but they're more manouverable anyway, right?

Star Destroyer vs. Cylon Basestar or Battlestar I suspect would be a draw, given all involved are basically aircraft carriers :D

So, Empire vs. Daleks? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,446 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Total flop and a financial loss for Disney
    well the Daleks could sort out the trash compactors with their plungers

But the Empire has to FIND the Bird of Prey or Romulan ship first, and I'm not sure they'd have the capabilities to detect a cloaked ship; the Romulans would likely sit happily scanning the destroyer, then open fire when they knew where to hit. Klingons maybe not so much, they'd probably just go hell for leather - but they're more manouverable anyway, right?

Star Destroyer vs. Cylon Basestar or Battlestar I suspect would be a draw, given all involved are basically aircraft carriers :D

So, Empire vs. Daleks? :D

Ooh! I think you might be wrong Burp. There’s a line from an imperial in empire suggests SD might actually be able to detect cloaked vehicles I think . And they have (or will have?) hyperspace tracking too so ...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Borg ship wins v Death Star every time.

Did you see how long the DS took to line up Alderaan for a shot?
    Borg ships can move at warp or impulse speed. Think Wesley fighting Andre the Giant.
    I'll just say it: the Forece, Jedi and lightsabres are the worst part of Star Wars and would be a better series without them. Come at me.
    There wouldn't BE a series without them. Ancient weapons and hokey religions were what differentiated SW from Buck Rogers. They were the hook.

• Advertisement

I’m not buying th borg defeating star. It’s vastly bigger. Packed with Star destroyers and millions of TIES. It’s surface is shielded and covered with cannons.

You’d need loads of cubes to even make a scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

I’m not buying th borg defeating star. It’s vastly bigger. Packed with Star destroyers and millions of TIES. It’s surface is shielded and covered with cannons.

You’d need loads of cubes to even make a scratch.

Oh we know that a single well-placed shot blows the whole thing up. Ya think the Borg'd have any problem making such a shot? I don't. Death Stars blow up way too easily.

Igotadose wrote: »
    Oh we know that a single well-placed shot blows the whole thing up. Ya think the Borg'd have any problem making such a shot? I don't. Death Stars blow up way too easily.

Haha. Point ^^

They’d not know that though so stay on target

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,510 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Dades wrote: »
    Borg ship wins v Death Star every time.

Did you see how long the DS took to line up Alderaan for a shot?
    Borg ships can move at warp or impulse speed. Think Wesley fighting Andre the Giant.

There wouldn't BE a series without them. Ancient weapons and hokey religions were what differentiated SW from Buck Rogers. They were the hook.

Fair enough, I don't like the Force or the Jedi and have always preferred everything else around the franchise (I wanted to be Han growing up, not Luke). Nearly every story with the Force are tedious, po-faced tales of prophecy, destiny and that god-awful mantra of emotion being the enemy of the Light Side. Which always results in dreary, celibate Jedi fretting about whether they're suitably monk like. The central conflict of Anakin falling in love with Padmé shouldn't be a problem, yet this universe tells us it's an awful taboo; not for political reasons, but spiritual? It's all a bit too "greater good" for my blood.

Give me Star Wars: Frontier In Space, than Star Wars: Space Eunachs.

I think the force and the mysticism and the Jedi of it all are vital to it all.
    But there’s room for everything

• Advertisement

Ooh! I think you might be wrong Burp. There’s a line from an imperial in empire suggests SD might actually be able to detect cloaked vehicles I think . And they have (or will have?) hyperspace tracking too so ...

There's a line, but does it imply they can DETECT a cloaked vessel? What's the relative size here, that's another point worth thinking of; aren't the Romulan ships bloody huge compared with other races?

Found this spaceship comparison chart and I can't find the Trek stuff lol

https://www.deviantart.com/dirkloechel/art/Size-Comparison-Science-Fiction-Spaceships-398790051

I can’t think of any cloaking in Star Wars tbh. Maybe in the old books

• Registered Users Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Fair enough, I don't like the Force or the Jedi and have always preferred everything else around the franchise (I wanted to be Han growing up, not Luke). Nearly every story with the Force are tedious, po-faced tales of prophecy, destiny and that god-awful mantra of emotion being the enemy of the Light Side.

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

I think the force and the mysticism and the Jedi of it all are vital to it all.
    But there’s room for everything

I disagree but there you are; even within universe the Jedi were/are considered fusty old farts by some, and I get it.

When the main 'tragedy' of the prequels amounts to the Jedi not allowing their order to bone, because apparently love, affection, loyalty and passion are considered paths to the dark side?

Pfffh. Honestly I think I wouldn't even wait for Order 66, I'd have got rid of them ages ago. I get Lucas was trying to riff on the stoic nobility of monks, samurai et al, but in-universe it never worked for me.

Well their dogma and blindness to their many failings is why they failed. Prequels are good of you view of through that lense. Luke was right about them too on the last one. Arrogance and hubris brought them down.

If they go back to the roots and the basics of it which I think Rey might do it one of those new trilogies. That’ll be cool.

* ki adi cockhead on the Jedi council was allowed have the ride. His entire planet actually. He was the last male of his species and had loads of birds. The o keep his species from dying off. Well. Until 66 and they took him down on the bridge. You’d know him if you saw him. Big dildo shaped head.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I'd agree the prequel Jedis bored us to tears with their naval gazing and pearl clutching. With the exception on Obi Wan and maybe Qui Gon, they were no more engaging than the bureaucrats Padme monotoned on about.

The force in the OT was teased at mostly to begin, and powers were only ever shown sparingly. More a reminder of an old way. Like a big mechanical shark, less is more, folks!

I'm happy there's force skills and lightsabers in the the new trilogy, as at least it's not trade disputes and the Jedi council. That opening scene in TFA with Kylo Ren holding (and then releasing) the blaster bolt is proper Star Wars cool.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

..aren't the Romulan ships bloody huge compared with other races?

Found this spaceship comparison chart and I can't find the Trek stuff lol

I’ve seen that spaceship poster before & from what I remember the Trek ships are there, just very small compared to the rest of the sci-fi universe. Anyways, this gives us a rough idea of sizes between Treks & Wars!

Here we can see the size difference between Romulan D’deridex & Galaxy class ships.

C1726-E47-4-B8-B-4-EA1-AB00-ED9-C406187-AF.jpg

Size difference between Galaxy class & Star Wars

76-BE8-D70-AC9-A-492-B-BD50-B4-CB1-A0-C76-E6.jpg

Just for kicks, size difference between ships & the Death Star!

11-AA8-C6-B-7-AA3-484-C-8-C3-B-F3-C754730-F5-C.jpg

Looks a lot graph

‘Borg cube would beat a death star’

Lol

Naw, I still think the DeathStar would destroy a couple of Cubes before those Borg shields remodulate.

God if anyone mad a mod for a game that smushed all the fleets from every popular SciFi franchise, it'd be gloriously insane. Has there been any Wars / Trek crossovers in comics? I know there have been other crossovers such as X-Men, or Dr. Who, appearing in the Trek universe...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The size of DS9 is really rather pathetic. Not much of a space station for other star ships to dock at when it is barely bigger than those ships itself. They didn't think through the continuity of the ship sizes in that universe properly.

• Advertisement

Naw, I still think the DeathStar would destroy a couple of Cubes before those Borg shields remodulate.

God if anyone mad a mod for a game that smushed all the fleets from every popular SciFi franchise, it'd be gloriously insane. Has there been any Wars / Trek crossovers in comics? I know there have been other crossovers such as X-Men, or Dr. Who, appearing in the Trek universe...

Probably endless fanfic but not a sphere I ever wander into.

A video game crossover for ship battles would be class though. The ship battle play in battlefront is stunning. DS has magnetic shielding too though. Mad Strong. Don’t think borg would get near. If they hit a cube with a few blasts from an ion canon would it knock it out?

Ps if Han Solo can get around a multifractional shield refresh rate on the little ole falcon to get onto star killer, the DS could definitely figure out the borg shields I’d say

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

To be honest Kylo Ren has been the best character of the new trilogy by a mile , I would clap like a seal if he turned out to be the hero of the whole lot

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

To be honest Kylo Ren has been the best character of the new trilogy by a mile , I would clap like a seal if he turned out to be the hero of the whole lot

If Chewy doesn't pull his arms off and ram them up his arse he might become the hero.

Central tenet of Star Wars is redemption. I think he’s going to be redeemed
    But Christ almighty does that have a mountain to climb If it happens. Only way I’ll take it if he’s saving Leia in person somehow. And he still better die. I’ll go with that but he has to die after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Yeah I'd agree with that him stopping a power mad (emperor infested) Rey might be the way it happens which would be fine by me

Yeah I'd agree with that him stopping a power mad (emperor infested) Rey might be the way it happens which would be fine by me

Oh. Love that.

Dades wrote: »

Exactly, it's medieval fantasy IN SPACE.....

Star Wars should never be considered in the same thoughts as Trek, Stargate, or BattleStar, in all honesty.

It's far more at home in comparison to "The Lord of the Rings" and "The Chronicles of Narnia", but just so happening to take place in a futuristic setting.
    I would even put Dune in the fantasy setting along with it (never seen it, just thinking of the book reading from years ago)

Give me Star Wars: Frontier In Space, than Star Wars: Space Eunachs.

So, Firefly?

robinph wrote: »
    The size of DS9 is really rather pathetic. Not much of a space station for other star ships to dock at when it is barely bigger than those ships itself. They didn't think through the continuity of the ship sizes in that universe properly.

It's a repurposed mining station, not a dedicated space station or dock.

• Advertisement

DS9 is a beautiful design. The absolutely worst design in terms of practicality and function. And it’s a mining facility originally? They didn’t think that through at all. But it is gorgeous.

Advertisement