Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker **Spoilers from post 2076**

Options

Comments

DS9 is a beautiful design. The absolutely worst design in terms of practicality and function. And it’s a mining facility originally? They didn’t think that through at all. But it is gorgeous.

Yeah, that big red bottom was an energy beam for stripping the Bajoran surface.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Runaway hit highest gross beating The force Awakens
    Yeah, that big red bottom was an energy beam for stripping the Bajoran surface.

Ah that makes sense.
    Did the Bajorans see 4 big lights in the the sky or 5 though?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Blahfool

I can’t think of any cloaking in Star Wars tbh. Maybe in the old books

"no ship that small has a cloaking device"
    Aaand never mentioned again.

Blahfool wrote: »
    "no ship that small has a cloaking device"
    Aaand never mentioned again.

That’s it! Thanks! Couldn’t remember. It does suggest there are cloak technology ships out there though. Glad they never went there though

• Registered Users Posts: 19,294 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

pixelburp wrote: »
    Fair enough, I don't like the Force or the Jedi and have always preferred everything else around the franchise (I wanted to be Han growing up, not Luke). Nearly every story with the Force are tedious, po-faced tales of prophecy, destiny and that god-awful mantra of emotion being the enemy of the Light Side. Which always results in dreary, celibate Jedi fretting about whether they're suitably monk like. The central conflict of Anakin falling in love with Padmhouldn't be a problem, yet this universe tells us it's an awful taboo; not for political reasons, but spiritual? It's all a bit too "greater good" for my blood.
    I disagree but there you are; even within universe the Jedi were/are considered fusty old farts by some, and I get it.

When the main 'tragedy' of the prequels amounts to the Jedi not allowing their order to bone, because apparently love, affection, loyalty and passion are considered paths to the dark side?

Pfffh. Honestly I think I wouldn't even wait for Order 66, I'd have got rid of them ages ago. I get Lucas was trying to riff on the stoic nobility of monks, samurai et al, but in-universe it never worked for me.

Agreed.

The Jedi are one of the absolute worst things about Star Wars.

They were a large reason why I hated the prequels. Far too much focus on them and they were just a bunch of **** into the bargain.

Luke's story in the originals was fine, but when the prequels were made we got a lot mystical supermen that were just full of bullshit prophecies and nonsense.

Much prefer Star Wars when they're not really in the picture or reduced to a sideline.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Tony EH wrote: »
    Much prefer Star Wars when they're not really in the picture or reduced to a sideline.
    It's unfair to want to strip Star Wars of its DNA because of the prequels. The Jedi (and other things) may have made shíte of those films, but the reason we're so disappointed is because of what had come before, where that mystical stuff has all been handled perfectly.

Take away the Jedi you take away this.

empire-strikes-back-lightsaber-duel.jpg

Dades wrote: »
    It's unfair to want to strip Star Wars of its DNA because of the prequels. The Jedi (and other things) may have made sh of those films, but the reason we're so disappointed is because of what had come before, where that mystical stuff has all been handled perfectly.

Take away the Jedi you take away this.

empire-strikes-back-lightsaber-duel.jpg

Stories don't understand the concept of fairness. :P

In any case, yes, the Force/Jedi and all that claptrap is part of the story and as I said, Luke's journey is fine. But, the Forcey/Jedi stuff interferes too much when it's front and centre, like it is elsewhere.

When left vague, as it was in the originals, the mystery carries it to some degree. Now that we know that it's just, essentially, a blood disease that 'The Phantom Menace' tried to pass off with its clumsy "science", that mystery is dead and what we're left with is a mind boggling astonishment that Lucas could come up with such awful additions to his story. Don't get me started on miracle births and all that rubbish.

Not only that, that explanation makes spoofers out of Kenobi and Yoda, who say it's an energy field that "surrounds us" and "penetrates us" and not about "...this crude matter." Whereas, in fact it WAS about crude matter all along, because it's microbes living in human body cellular structure.

So it goes from weird energy that nobody really can explain to crap that lives in your body, that can turn you into a navel gazing superman that can bore everyone within 500 yards.

I spose what I'm saying is that I agree. The prequels screwed up "what came before" and in a way we can all be thankful that Disney have let a lot of the rubbish in the prequels quietly drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

I have been following this thread out of general interest, and was about to unfollow it as it had become like listening to a clique of nerds talking ever more esoteric minutiae in the corner :p.
    The last bit of the conversation though I'm sure strikes a chord with many. The mystical Taoist-like element of the force in the original became a scientific biological factor in the prequel trilogy, where biology could be weaponised for good or evil in the latter. The originals though, with their more religious/supernatural basis, added more to the capacity for redemption, which was missing in the prequels (from an atheist pov it substituted scientific gobbledygook for supernatural gobbledygook, yet was all the poorer for it). The first two of the latest trilogy has, as pointed out, dispensed almost entirely with both aspects.
    I'm not one for nostalgia; the supernatural basis for the force added to the moral aspect of 'the fight with good vs evil' in the original trilogy, which I felt has been lacking in the first two post-ROTJ flms, but which does seem to be building up some steam. Obviously, they are hamstrung by the scientific turn in explanation within the prequels, but I kinda look forward to a return to the more hopeful magical thinking ways of the Force.

When you put science in Star Wars you end up with midichlorians.

Bring on the mysticism/ gobbledygook and more of it please.

I have to say the midichlorians thing never bothered me in the same way it does others.

I don't think it changes anything other than perhaps explain why some people have a propensity to use the force, and others not. Which I'll admit was an unnecessary detail. But when that kid at the end of TLJ plucked his broom up, I wasn't thinking "He must have a high midichlorian count".

We always knew the force ran in families anyway. Luke didn't lick it off a stone.

The exception being fatherless Anakin. Get up the yard with that, George.

• Advertisement

I have to say the midichlorians thing never bothered me in the same way it does others.

I don't think it changes anything other than perhaps explain why some people have a propensity to use the force, and others not. Which I'll admit was an unnecessary detail. But when that kid at the end of TLJ plucked his broom up, I wasn't thinking "He must have a high midichlorian count".

We always knew the force ran in families anyway. Luke didn't lick it off a stone.

The exception being fatherless Anakin. Get up the yard with that, George.

Not to split hairs but the force isn’t genetic or hereditary at all. In universe.
    If that were the case there’d be a dynastic set up within the Jedi order. There isn’t

And Jedi arent allowed have kids or families either in part to stop dynastic structure emerging. And if you have force powerful families and clans you end up with wars among them.

It’s not a thing in universe at all.

Force manifests randomly in children and the order know where those babies are and collect them off their families for training. The rights and wrongs of that have never been explored in any great detail sadly. Think clone wars has a few episodes on it thats all.

In a universe with no order or academy to train them you have Kids like broom boy going untrained and not even knowing he has the ability. Using the force to pull the broom to him is as natural as picking his nose.
    You have to hope these kids grow up good people or else... but that hasn’t been explored yet either.

No dynasty or passed down to offspring?

Aren't all 9 movies about one such family?
    Darth, Luke and now Leah, and Kylo

No dynasty or passed down to offspring?

Aren't all 9 movies about one such family?
    Darth, Luke and now Leah, and Kylo

And look what a great state they left the galaxy in :)
    They’re the outlier and obviously the focus of the story. I’m just saying it isn’t a thing elsewhere

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,614 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

It seems Disney has a leak on the Star Wars site that has been addressed. It related to a descriptor on of the D23 screening
    it refers to the bit with evil looking Rey as a “vision”. They have since removed the word vision

Makes sense and I couldn’t see Disney being that ballsy that it was anything else

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Red5

Disappointing box office take less than a billion
    LOL.

Haven't even bothered with the trailer for this rubbish yet, but this popped into my YouTube feed. Bloody algorithms. :pac:

Seriously. It's time to stop with these dumbass lightsabers.

This post is hilarious. I can't be bothered with this movie but I'm in here every day posting constantly about it.

If that were the case there’d be a dynastic set up within the Jedi order. There isn’t

And Jedi arent allowed have kids or families either in part to stop dynastic structure emerging.
    I think you need to read that again!

Also...

https://youtu.be/CzFHwoALeYg?t=22

Red5 wrote: »
    This post is hilarious. I can't be bothered with this movie but I'm in here every day posting constantly about it.

Haha

Did anyone notice the Swiss army lightsaber contains a spare hand?

Wet myself laughing when I spotted it

I think you need to read that again!

Also...

https://youtu.be/CzFHwoALeYg?t=22

I know. All im saying is Jedi aren’t allowed. Obviously Anakin broke that rule. Wouldn’t be a story if he hadn’t obviously

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Haha

Did anyone notice the Swiss army lightsaber contains a spare hand?

Wet myself laughing when I spotted it

Is that not a beer bottle opener?

robinph wrote: »
    Is that not a beer bottle opener?

It’s a hand. Let me have this one :)

• Advertisement

Bah.

I can talk about it. But, I'm just not really that bothered about the film, because it doesn't matter what happens in this one. The damage has already been done.

Deal with it. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Red5

Disappointing box office take less than a billion
    Bah.

I can talk about it. But, I'm just not really that bothered about the film, because it doesn't matter what happens in this one. The damage has already been done.

Deal with it. :cool:

I don't like golf or cricket but I don't spend every day on forums telling people how bad they are. I have read through this thread and you keep popping with constant negativity and tedious comments about this and other star wars movies.

It's gets very boring. If you care so little again why are you here every day? It just come across as sad and pathetic.

After the trailers you post 'LOL'. Seriously? Are you 12 years old?

I speak for a lot of people when I say I can't wait for this. Nobody cares if you think brining the emperor back is nonsense. I watched the trailer with my 11 year old and he nearly jumped out of his seat when he heard the laugh at the end. He has always been his favourite character.

In the end that is what these movies are. FUN. Not to be taken too seriously. Watch them with the family, put on the popcorn and have the Craic.

If you can't find any enjoyment in these movies jog on and head to IFI for an art house movie. Or at least stop pretending like you don't care. It's getting very boring.

Not to split hairs but the force isn’t genetic or hereditary at all. In universe.

And Jedi arent allowed have kids or families either in part to stop dynastic structure emerging. And if you have force powerful families and clans you end up with wars among them.

It’s not a thing in universe at all.

Force manifests randomly in children and the order know where those babies are and collect them off their families for training. The rights and wrongs of that have never been explored in any great detail sadly. Think clone wars has a few episodes on it thats all.

In a universe with no order or academy to train them you have Kids like broom boy going untrained and not even knowing he has the ability. Using the force to pull the broom to him is as natural as picking his nose.
    You have to hope these kids grow up good people or else... but that hasn’t been explored yet either.

The midichlorians never bothered me in the slightest.

This is the line that made me emotionally drop out (pardon the emotion there Yoda)
    Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering

Immediately, even as a kid, I had issue with this. Fear is one of the most important emotions we have, it's the emotion that stops us doing really stupid sh1t, it drives us to protect others.
    I always held that the thin line between bravery and stupidity was fear. Courage meant that you must acknowledge the danger, through fear, and make a conscious decision to proceed.

The midichlorians never bothered me in the slightest.

This is the line that made me emotionally drop out (pardon the emotion there Yoda)

Immediately, even as a kid, I had issue with this. Fear is one of the most important emotions we have, it's the emotion that stops us doing really stupid sh1t, it drives us to protect others.
    I always held that the thin line between bravery and stupidity was fear. Courage meant that you must acknowledge the danger, through fear, and make a conscious decision to proceed.

That’s mad. I get it though.
    But you’re thinking about you and us. Jedi is supposed to be not above but immune to that.
    I’ve had beers I’ll have to ruminate over your post but it’s a good one well played.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I would disagree with your sentiments in general.

The presumption you make is that all fear is good or bad, it can be either.

The context of that conversation was about Anakins mother and his fear of losing her.It’s was that fear that led him to butcher sand people and allowed Papa Palpatine use that same fear of losing Padme death against him. It was pretty much integral to Anakins demise. Pure emotional responses to his fear of losing people he loved. The Sith are empowered by emotion.

Fear can lead to anger, hate and suffering. You need only look at zenophobia, racism, and many unfounded fears people have about people who are not like them. Look at brexit and Trump. Look how governments manipulate populations through fear. Fear is what dictators usually use to control their people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Homelander

I don't like golf or cricket but I don't spend every day on forums telling people how bad they are.

I don't think that's a very good/fair comparison, clearly the guy likes Star Wars but doesn't like what they're doing in the new trilogy/upcoming movie. I think that's perfectly fine? We are allowed be critical of things we love when we feel they're letting us down. Doesn't matter how many people agree or disagree.
    In the end that is what these movies are. FUN. Not to be taken too seriously.

OK, but being fun doesn't make creative or narrative choices immune to criticism? The prequels were fun, I don't think anyone would be telling someone to 'jog on and head to the IFI for an art house movie' for criticizing them at the same time. I am looking forward to The Rise of Skywalker but I'm not overly impressed with the first two movies of this trilogy personally. They're kinda forgettable even compared to the best parts of the prequels even if they are better/more consistent films overall.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,510 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Does it not occur to some people that it's possible to love something, yet be disappointed or even hate some of its iterations? i know "fan" comes from the word "fanatic", but this is the second thread where we have folks storming in to wag fingers because ... gosh! ... people might have strong opinions about pop culture, that may not be entirely breathless love.

Part of loving a franchise like Star Wars comes the potential disappointment when a new movie or TV show doesn't quite match the desires, expectations or standards that were hitherto set for the franchise. And complaining about those failures doesn't make you a "hater", it's just the complexity of love :) There's a better than good chance that those who complain most, are those who literally GREW UP with the franchise, the wilderness years where every Lucasarts game, or spin-off novel was gleamed for another brief sojourn to a galaxy, far far away.

People complain when folks have a little fun with "Death Star vs. Borg". People complain if folks might have negative emotions towards a treasured franchise. What is this thread to be? Shall we just sit around in a circle group fawning over Star Wars? ;)

"I like Star Wars."

"I also like Star Wars"

"That is good. We both like Star Wars"

Homelander wrote: »
    I don't think that's a very good/fair comparison, clearly the guy likes Star Wars but doesn't like what they're doing in the new trilogy/upcoming movie. I think that's perfectly fine? We are allowed be critical of things we love when we feel they're letting us down. Doesn't matter how many people agree or disagree.

OK, but being fun doesn't make creative or narrative choices immune to criticism? The prequels were fun, I don't think anyone would be telling someone to 'jog on and head to the IFI for an art house movie' for criticizing them at the same time. I am looking forward to The Rise of Skywalker but I'm not overly impressed with the first two movies of this trilogy personally. They're kinda forgettable even compared to the best parts of the prequels even if they are better/more consistent films overall.

To be fair he hasn’t even bothered watching the trailer by his own words and yet is hurling sh!t from the ditch saying it’s awful. Pretty much frequently and par for the course to continue the golf of it all.

Disrupts any conversation posters are trying to have and basically if you haven’t even bothered to watch what others are talking about why should anyone see it as anything but an annoyance from another angry internet prick.
    Goes unchallenged and gets away Scott free for doing it. Must be the resident crank gets a pass. Every forum has one.

Just ignore.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Does it not occur to some people that it's possible to love something, yet be disappointed or even hate some of its iterations? i know "fan" comes from the word "fanatic", but this is the second thread where we have folks storming in to wag fingers because ... gosh! ... people might have strong opinions about pop culture, that may not be entirely breathless love.

Part of loving a franchise like Star Wars comes the potential disappointment when a new movie or TV show doesn't quite match the desires, expectations or standards that were hitherto set for the franchise. And complaining about those failures doesn't make you a "hater", it's just the complexity of love :) There's a better than good chance that those who complain most, are those who literally GREW UP with the franchise, the wilderness years where every Lucasarts game, or spin-off novel was gleamed for another brief sojourn to a galaxy, far far away.

People complain when folks have a little fun with "Death Star vs. Borg". People complain if folks might have negative emotions towards a treasured franchise. What is this thread to be? Shall we just sit around in a circle group fawning over Star Wars? ;)

"I like Star Wars."

"I also like Star Wars"

I like Star Wars too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

"I like Star Wars."

"I also like Star Wars"

No you :P

Seriously though, i think the reason people are so testy around people complaining about the films is due to the toxicity online. Boards is a different place and there is allot more nuance than you will find in places that are big circle jerks.

Advertisement