Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker **Spoilers from post 2076**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,507 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's never happen, but if Disney really wanted to do "stories", they could just open up the franchise to directors who want to make something different. So long as it wasn't completely out there, it'd make for a really fascinating series of creative, aesthetically unique adventures.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Runaway hit highest gross beating The force Awakens
    pixelburp wrote: »
    It's never happen, but if Disney really wanted to do "stories", they could just open up the franchise to directors who want to make something different. So long as it wasn't completely out there, it'd make for a really fascinating series of creative, aesthetically unique adventures.

They did exactly that with Gareth Edwards who was filming without even an outline of where it was going. Script was there but no story. Tony gilroy said it was a complete catastrophe and hence the reshoots to put some shape on it and rescue it.

They won’t give that much free reign to anyone ever again. Johnson was given complete free reign and we got a divisive film but one that still made over a billion.

Still. Cant see them allowing that happen again. Although benioff and Weiss now seem like controversial choices too.
    Who knows

• Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭Inviere

Drumpot wrote: »
    I think fear in the hands of a powerful person/Jedi is dangerous.

100%, which is why I've no real problem with Jedi's having to keep their emotions completely under control. You're talking about people with the ability to kill and do serious harm very very easily, of course they need to be focused, calm, and zen like if they're to be effective at what they do (peace keeping).

Fear is precisely what led to Anakin turning, which ultimately opened the gates for the events of the saga. Yoda was right all along, he shouldn't have been trained. Yes, the prophecy was there and was obviously an influence, and (up until the Rise of Disney anyway), proved to be correct (Anakin did bring balance)...but if the Jedi had stuck to their ideals, and not actually trained Anakin, one wonders how things would have played out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,507 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

They did exactly that with Gareth Edwards who was filming without even an outline of where it was going. Script was there but no story. Tony gilroy said it was a complete catastrophe and hence the reshoots to put some shape on it and rescue it.

They won’t give that much free reign to anyone ever again. Johnson was given complete free reign and we got a divisive film but one that still made over a billion.

Still. Cant see them allowing that happen again. Although benioff and Weiss now seem like controversial choices too.
    Who knows

The midbuget blockbuster is practically extinct, but if Disney were brave, they could green light a series of $50 million budget films and they'd be guaranteed to make bank. Modern blockbusters are obsessed with $300 million behemoths, when there's an opening for some offbeat, middling budgeted films.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I listen to audiobooks of other SW folklore and there is so much more they could do. I know you guys prob want way more extended stuff but I love Darth Bane and Palestine’s stories. They would be superb one off movies, although prob a bit dark for the mouse. That said I’m sure there is much better stories they can tell from SWs extended canon.

Who knows

The irony is , with all the troubles of rogue one, it’s been the best SWs prob since the originals. Might actually be in my top 3 to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,294 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

The Jedi didn’t create or instigate any of th conflict.

The Jedi's hubris created many of the conditions in which Palpatine rose, the creation of Vader and allowed the Empire to come about.

The blame, in its entirety, doesn't lay solely at their feet, but they are very much complicit.

They are absolutely (there's that word again) responsible for Darth Vader. The psychopath who rampaged through an entire galaxy committing genocide and enslaving trillions and trillions of beings, all because of a bullshit prophecy.

They are portrayed as incredibly arrogant and monumentally stupid at the same time. Don't know if that's what George Lucas was going for, but that's how it comes across.

The midbuget blockbuster is practically extinct, but if Disney were brave, they could green light a series of $50 million budget films and they'd be guaranteed to make bank. Modern blockbusters are obsessed with $300 million behemoths, when there's an opening for some offbeat, middling budgeted films.

Joker might challange that. Logan and Deadpool have also done it of late. But that’s adult themed movies to be fair. I’d love an R rated sith movie!

I’d say the focus I going to shift dramatically to storytelling on tv. Seems to have already.
    Cassian is already filming in London it seems. Kenobi. Second mandalorian series already being worked on.
    Think they said it’ll be 2022 before we see another film. That’s a healthy an brilliant decision. Avoids the fatigue we see in marvel universe.

Rogue one is absolutely one the better ones. Turned out so well.

I think fear in the hands of a powerful person/Jedi is dangerous. You keep making the point it can be good but it’s dangerous in the hands of an undisciplined powerful person. So the Jedi have chosen to take it out of the equation.

Fear of certain outcomes can also lead a powerful person to be cautious about their actions and thus be more prudent in their decision making.

It's not always a bad thing like Yoda inferred in 'The Phantom Menace'. In fact, Yoda schools Luke about being afraid, like it's a good thing, because he's being reckless.

"I'm not afraid"

"You will be...you WILL be"

WanChubbyBluebottlejellyfish-size_restricted.gif

Although he did have time on Dagobah to reflect on the folly of his words to Luke's father 20 years previously.

Tony EH wrote: »
    The Jedi's hubris created many of the conditions in which Palpatine rose, the creation of Vader and allowed the Empire to come about.

The blame, in its entirety, doesn't lay solely at their feet, but they are very much complicit.

They are absolutely (there's that word again) responsible for Darth Vader. The psychopath who rampaged through an entire galaxy committing genocide and enslaving trillions and trillions of beings, all because of a bullshit prophecy.

They are portrayed as incredibly arrogant and monumentally stupid at the same time. Don't know if that's what George Lucas was going for, but that's how it comes across.

Wasn’t there a conversation between Yoda and Obi Wan at one stage where Yoda speaks of Jedis show boating or being more arrogant? I think they were aware of this creeping into jedis mindset, so I think Lucas was very aware of it.

They played an unwilling role in the creation of Vader but they are not responsible for Vader. No Palpatine means no Vader, without the Jedi , Vader could still of happened.

• Advertisement

Fear of certain outcomes can also lead a powerful person to be cautious about their actions and thus be more prudent in their decision making.

It's not always a bad thing like Yoda inferred in 'The Phantom Menace'. In fact, Yoda schools Luke about being afraid, like it's a good thing, because he's being reckless.

"I'm not afraid"

"You will be...you WILL be"

Although he did have time on Dagobah to reflect on the folly of his words to Luke's father 20 years previously.

I am not disputing that fear can’t be a positive , just that in the wrong person it can be a massive negative.

I would be interested to know or hear stories about powerful people who were able to use their own fear for good. It’s not something you generally associate with people in positions of power. It’s an interesting theory you are making but not necessarily one that is likely in principle.

I don't think Disney have been that interested in story since the 80's. To quote Michael Eisner:
    We have no obligation to make history. We have no obligation to make art. We have no obligation to make a statement. To make money is our only objective. But to make money, it is often important to make history, to make art, or to make some significant statement. In order to make money, we must always make entertaining movies, at times we will reliably make history, art, a statement, or all three.

It should come as no surprise that a film company wants to "make money", but what that's the "only objective", other elements are going to suffer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,185 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Red5 wrote: »
    I don't like golf or cricket but I don't spend every day on forums telling people how bad they are. I have read through this thread and you keep popping with constant negativity and tedious comments about this and other star wars movies.

It's gets very boring. If you care so little again why are you here every day? It just come across as sad and pathetic.

After the trailers you post 'LOL'. Seriously? Are you 12 years old?

I speak for a lot of people when I say I can't wait for this. Nobody cares if you think brining the emperor back is nonsense. I watched the trailer with my 11 year old and he nearly jumped out of his seat when he heard the laugh at the end. He has always been his favourite character.

In the end that is what these movies are. FUN. Not to be taken too seriously. Watch them with the family, put on the popcorn and have the Craic.

If you can't find any enjoyment in these movies jog on and head to IFI for an art house movie. Or at least stop pretending like you don't care. It's getting very boring.

His favourite character is the Emperor!? Keep an eye on that young fella. :D

Well played white wolf. I laughed out loud :)

Wasn’t there a conversation between Yoda and Obi Wan at one stage where Yoda speaks of Jedis show boating or being more arrogant? I think they were aware of this creeping into jedis mindset, so I think Lucas was very aware of it.

Perhaps. I can't remember. In any case, it did nothing to alleviate their arrogance.
    They played an unwilling role in the creation of Vader but they are not responsible for Vader. No Palpatine means no Vader, without the Jedi , Vader could still of happened.

I'd say no Anakin, no Vader.

They ignored their better judgements and in their imprudence. delivered him to Palpatine. An obvious bad faith actor whom they failed to notice due to that same ignorance.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Red5

Disappointing box office take less than a billion
    I'll post on any subject I like, how I like. If you want to cry about it, you know what you can do. ;)

giphy.gif

Every time I see your posts I just think of comic book guy. Worst cosmic wars ever ! I will only see it ten more times.

How do you put sad lonely internet losers on ignore anyway ?

His favourite character is the Emperor!? Keep an eye on that young fella. :D

My favorite character growing up was Han.

My favorite character as an adult is Papa Palpatine :pac:

I’ve read the Palpatine back story and love his character. He was superb in ROTS, I loved his fight with Yoda. I mean he threw the whole sentate at him, true story.... :D

Red5 wrote: »
    Every time I see your posts I just think of comic book guy.

I don't care what you think.

You're complaining about somebody complaining. :pac:

They ignored their better judgements and in their imprudence. delivered him to Palpatine. An obvious bad faith actor whom they failed to notice due to that same ignorance.

Didn’t Plagueis and Palpatine create Anakin ?

Not sure. Was that ever cemented?

• Advertisement

Always my understanding of it.

Palpatine would have found Anakin anyway. Anakin doesn’t really play that much of a part of Palpatine we machinations in the senate and waging war on the other hand as Sidious.
    He may not have ended up half machine but Anakin would have ended up at his side anyway

Not sure. Was that ever cemented?

I’m honestly not sure it was cemented but I felt it’s been insinuated.

Wish I could remember the books cause it might of been more specific on this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,185 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

My favorite character growing up was Han.

My favorite character as an adult is Papa Palpatine :pac:

I’ve read the Palpatine back story and love his character. He was superb in ROTS, I loved his fight with Yoda. I mean he threw the whole sentate at him, true story.... :D

I think it was Luke or Chewie for me, I was a very straight laced child. Even now really....Captain America was my favourite in the MCU. :P

I agree on Palpatine in ROTS. So much stuff going on in the scene where he manipulates Anakin with the story of Plagueis. Such a duplicitous bastard.

Wish I could remember the books cause it might of been more specific on this point.

There was a comic recently it’s implied if nit confirmed. Big hoohaa kicked off on twitter about it.

Plageuis study was creating life and extending life beyond its natural limits to immortality.
    Palpatine learned what he needed from his master and killed him.
    It doesn’t even have to be confirmed. Palps after as his father and warped and manipulated him to his end.

Placing nightmares in his head of Padmes death at childbirth. Same thing we see with snoke and Kylo. Smoke posing as Vader to mislead Kylo and manipulate him

I think it was Luke or Chewie for me, I was a very straight laced child. Even now really....Captain America was my favourite in the MCU. :P

I agree on Palpatine in ROTS. So much stuff going on in the scene where he manipulates Anakin with the story of Plagueis. Such a duplicitous bastard.

And when he’s chatting with Anakin when he admits he’s the Sith. I love how he’s so confident he can convince and manipulate Anakin to do exactly what he ended up doing to become Vader.

I know some people found Palpatine to be a bit comicbook villainy but I think McDiarmuid got the perfect balance of OTT baddy with insidious brilliance an cunning.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,444 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mod note: No more personal attacks please. It’s perfectly fair to challenge posters in a respectful way - but everyone’s entitled to air their views without having insults thrown their way. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

quick search:
    https://screenrant.com/star-wars-palpatine-make-anakin-possess-theory/

And when he’s chatting with Anakin when he admits he’s the Sith. I love how he’s so confident he can convince and manipulate Anakin to do exactly what he ended up doing to become Vader.

I know some people found Palpatine to be a bit comicbook villainy but I think McDiarmuid got the perfect backancd of OTT baddy with insidious brilliance an cunning.

That bit at celebration after they showed the trailer and were all reeling form hearing Palpatines laughter at the end. And mcdiarmaid coming out an in the emperors voice

Roll it again

Just so brilliant. Would have loved to have been there.

^
    Absolutely none of that comes across in the films.

• Advertisement

^
    Absolutely none of that comes across in the films.

It’s none of it implied either. It’s just a theory according to the piece.

Wonder had anyone ever asked Lucas directly about that?

Advertisement