Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker **Spoilers from post 2076**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

Runaway hit highest gross beating The force Awakens
    I'm utterly unmoved by this. I haven't really liked any of the films overall, though they've all had their moments, and Disney just don't have any credit left with me. I might pirate it. Maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭brevity

Got my midnight tickets for cork! Woop woop!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Couple of things in the trailer gave me pause. Threepio's moment. Never liked C3PO - he's a twat. Also, riding horse-things into battle along some sort of cruiser? That better not be what it looks like.

That said, can't wait.

Star Wars never will hit the heights of ROTJ for me, but accept it and roll with it. It's still alive and we're still getting new ones for better or worse. I'll take it any day over Avengers Reassemble Part 42.

MTFBWY.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

I thought the Last Jedi was shocking muck and my 40+ year love for Star Wars nearly died the day I watched it.
    However I am very excited about the Rise of Skywalker after watching that trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

I thought this final trailer was a bit uninspiring. There's a lot of loose ends to tie up in the 9 film saga, so I hope it doesn't end being an unnecessarily complex plot (I'm looking at you, TPM... with your boring trade wards and extended pod race / advertisement slot).

I've been staying away from any online speculation / leaks, so I really don't know what to expect. I'm not holding out much hope, but maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Didn't stop me booking my triple bill tickets this morning :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

Some cool stuff in the trailer but I'm not mad on that take of the Star Wars theme. I'm sure it's just for the trailer though and wont feature in the film

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Which one of you drunk ****ers put that trailer together?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Some cool stuff in the trailer but I'm not mad on that take of the Star Wars theme. I'm sure it's just for the trailer though and wont feature in the film

Yeah that was the biggest issue I had with it too ... awful ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Relikk

The theme wasn't bad, I thought. It has all the hallmarks of an ending swell, and especially the ending of a 9 part film set that we know isn't going to end with anything other than the "good guys" coming out on top. It fits.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Imagine they let the bad guys win?
    How good would that be?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

NIMAN wrote: »
    How good would that be?

Whoa whoa now. This aint real life :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,294 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

NIMAN wrote: »
    How good would that be?

Not good enough to rescue these sequels unfortunately.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,507 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The "horses" snippet, coupled with the emperors prominence makes me worry they're really going to lean into invoking Return of the Jedi, in some misguided sense of symmetry. It's like poetry, to quote someone, it rhymes ;)

Who thought it was a good idea for different people to independently write each part of a trilogy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

Total flop and a financial loss for Disney
    I'm old enough to have seen episodes V and VI and I to III in the cinema.
    VII I was happy enough with but VIII has put a full stop on this farce for me.

That trailer is everything bad about the new trilogy.
    Kill 3PO - a character that has all but zero input in the first two films - for an emotional reaction from his 'family'?
    The Emperor?
    Horses on ships in space?

FFS what next? Darth Salacious Crumb?
    Actually I would pay to see that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,479 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

mathie wrote: »
    I'm old enough to have seen episodes V and VI and I to III in the cinema.

When I was 5 or 6 I was too scared to go to see ROTJ in the cinema with my even younger brother cos I thought it was something to do with a 'dead eye'.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,359 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I’ve often thought what do these movies need? Cavalry!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

This looks worse than I thought. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

That threepio scene pretty much sums up Star Wars since ROTJ, chewie and R2 aside he spent little to no screentime with any of them but we're meant to believe he considers them friends?
    The cinematic maxim show don't tell has been largely ignored in both prequel and sequel trilogies. Instead of seeing a bond form between Ben and Anakin through adventure and hardship ala Han and Luke , we're told they're besties through lame "remember you wrestling that gundark on Ord mandell" anecdotes. Likewise the Sequel Trilogy puts cringe worthy amounts of effort into trying to establish Finn and Poe as this trilogies Han and Luke despite them sharing at most 10/12 minutes of screen time over the course of 2 movies.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,507 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

To be fair, 3PO has always struck me as a neurotic, needy and clingy pest, so TBH I can buy that he believes the likes of Poe as friends. The feeling is unlikely to be mutual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

I'm not sure if this was posted here, maybe it was, I just found it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭ErnestBorgnine

That threepio scene pretty much sums up Star Wars since ROTJ, chewie and R2 aside he spent little to no screentime with any of them but we're meant to believe he considers them friends?
    The cinematic maxim show don't tell has been largely ignored in both prequel and sequel trilogies. Instead of seeing a bond form between Ben and Anakin through adventure and hardship ala Han and Luke , we're told they're besties through lame "remember you wrestling that gundark on Ord mandell" anecdotes. Likewise the Sequel Trilogy puts cringe worthy amounts of effort into trying to establish Finn and Poe as this trilogies Han and Luke despite them sharing at most 10/12 minutes of screen time over the course of 2 movies.

Also terrible, hastily written novels are now used to 'fix' things like all the hilariously stupid **** from Force Awakens & The Last Jedi. They don't have time to show it on screen what with all the Memberberries & OT **** they need to retcon.

My fav was Rey 'downloading' Jedi training from Kylo.

C3PO is a robot. He's programmed to be fastidious, pedantic and fussy about protocol. He's an annoying twat, but a model that serves a purpose with ambassadors and translation.

As for "friends", this really shouldn't come into it, especially these new characters, who've been around for all of five minutes.

Star Wars was much better when a droid's lot was to "made to suffer" and everyone thought they were just machines...but machines that the audience could feel sorry for.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Wow... That trailer almost gives away half the plot too?

The Emperor is back?
    Luke is back as force ghost.
    Rey and Kylo fight and then join forces - redemption of Kylo Ren.
    The rebels are in trouble and then find some space horses to help them for a final charge.
    Yadda yadda yoda

Well that seems like a complete pile of gack. Almost 3 movies in, and it's hard to say what this trilogy is about.

Spend billions on a property, and don't do an outline for a tentpole trilogy? That's just insane in one respect. In another, Disney know that the sealclappers will lap this up and line the Mouse's pockets regardless of quality.

I will say though that, as always, the music is quality.

it's hard to say what this trilogy is about.

It isn't about anything, because nobody wrote a story. It's just a series of scenes that take up running time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Likewise the Sequel Trilogy puts cringe worthy amounts of effort into trying to establish Finn and Poe as this trilogies Han and Luke despite them sharing at most 10/12 minutes of screen time over the course of 2 movies.

I really feel Finn seems so out of place at times, Poe is the obvious Solo clone but Finn is what Chewy?

They don't really spend that much time together and both their stories seem incomplete.

Calhoun wrote: »
    I really feel Finn seems so out of place at times

Finn's story ends as soon as he decides to defect. That's it. That's all they had for him. After that he's just the funny (unfunny really) black sidekick.

Even his background makes no sense, if you stop to think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,632 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Surely the space horses could be just leveled with a trooper shooting at them and that’s before even a tie fighter targeted them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,479 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Well that seems like a complete pile of gack. Almost 3 movies in, and it's hard to say what this trilogy is about.

Spend billions on a property, and don't do an outline for a tentpole trilogy?

ROTJ wrapped everything up so comprehensively, it was always going to be hard to justify starting everything up again in that universe. Presumably the return of the emperor and some explanation of how he relates to Snoke will provide some overarching structure for the story, but it hard to imagine how it won't feel lame wherever they go with it...

Advertisement