Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker **Spoilers from post 2076**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

pixelburp wrote: »
    I don't dislike Rey half as much as others around, defended her only a page or so back ... but man I cannot abide her taking the pilot seat of the Falcon. Never sat well with me.

Sexist pig:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,336 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I don't dislike Rey half as much as others around, defended her only a page or so back ... but man I cannot abide her taking the pilot seat of the Falcon. Never sat well with me.

Or the scene where she upstages Han by explaining to him how his own ship works. It seems to be a pattern in some movies, awful trash

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,507 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

silverharp wrote: »
    Or the scene where she upstages Han by explaining to him how his own ship works. It seems to be a pattern in some movies, awful trash

I didn't mind that, the surrogate father-daughter material was nice but underused, given the hurry to kill off Solo. But Han flies the falcon, it's his ship and really should have been scuttled or gone down in a blaze of glory. Of course, gotta sell 'dem toys and SW is 90% iconography anyway. Someone else flying it at all feels sacrilegious - which I guess plays into the iconography aspect.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Runaway hit highest gross beating The force Awakens
    silverharp wrote: »
    Did she not just fix some dodgy mod made by Unkar Plutt that Han would have had no clue about?

I have no problem with Rey flying the falcon. I like we that still have the falcon in SW, and maybe Chewy is just a co-pilot kinda Wookie. Maybe he prefers to be the co-pilot and mechanic.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Total flop and a financial loss for Disney
    I wonder will it be a Clone, a vision Anakin or a Force Ghost of Anakin that appears in the film. Maybe he'll turn up to take Luke away with him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭OU812

Dades wrote: »
    Did she not just fix some dodgy mod made by Unkar Plutt that Han would have had no clue about?

I have no problem with Rey flying the falcon. I like we that still have the falcon in SW, and maybe Chewy is just a co-pilot kinda Wookie. Maybe he prefers to be the co-pilot and mechanic.

I'm predicting the Falcon will be destroyed (& Lando killed), to fully kill off the original trilogy in this movie.

Disney is gonna want to shift merch & introduce many new characters & craft. There's only so many times you can re-sell the Falcon.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Nah, destroying the Falcon would be way too bold for Abrams.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Not so sure about that. They may kill off some characters but I can see the Falcon and other ships living on.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,479 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Well they did it to the Enterprise in one of the Star Trek films so he'll take that as a green light...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭OU812

After this movie, any other ones are going to be based in another part of "a galaxy far far away".

There's further stories to be told, worlds to be seen, characters to get to know, merchandise to push & the falcon isn't part of those.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Well they did it to the Enterprise in one of the Star Trek films so he'll take that as a green light...

Not in his ones. And even then it was rebuilt by the end of the film.

OU812 wrote: »
    After this movie, any other ones are going to be based in another part of "a galaxy far far away".

There's further stories to be told, worlds to be seen, characters to get to know, merchandise to push & the falcon isn't part of those.

Agree.

You have to remember that most of the original SW fans who would have been with the saga from ANH are now 50+. Are they going to be looking for more of the same when they are 60? 70?

Very much doubt it. Any new SW films won't be targeted at the, but their kids and even grandkids. I'd even say the last 3 were as well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,613 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Rey does a lot of running in all of this trilogy’s trailers.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,066 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Not in his ones. And even then it was rebuilt by the end of the film.

Not in Star Trek Generations it wasn't rebuilt

I think it would be cool to see the Falcon get destroyed just once but it would have to be done right. Maybe used to destroy a super weapon or super ship.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

The Enterprise ws not rebuilt, they recommissioned the yorktown (or other constitution class ship) as the Enterprise. Makes no odds, i dont think the Falcon would be destroyed, makes no sense unless you also kill Lando/Chewie etc... very bold move indeed

I was talking about JJ Trek. The Enterprise wasn’t destroyed in his two films. It was in the one he produced and was rebuilt at the end as if nothing had happened.

I can’t see him destroying the Falcon. I’ll surprised if the film does anything to depart from the safe endings of TFA and ROTJ.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

BrookieD wrote: »
    The Enterprise ws not rebuilt, they recommissioned the yorktown (or other constitution class ship) as the Enterprise. Makes no odds, i dont think the Falcon would be destroyed, makes no sense unless you also kill Lando/Chewie etc... very bold move indeed

Only my opinion... but I think the trailer gives away who will be killed as you cannot kill Leia now as Carrie Fisher died in real life. But.... as for who might as well spoiler:
    c3po .... him saying "my friends" ... sounds like a goodbye speech to me

I can’t see him destroying the Falcon. I’ll surprised if the film does anything to depart from the safe endings of TFA and ROTJ.
    I'm down with the equivalent of dancing Ewoks for a finale.

Maybe roasting a few Porgs in celebration.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Total flop and a financial loss for Disney
    II can’t see him destroying the Falcon. I’ll surprised if the film does anything to depart from the safe endings of TFA and ROTJ.

It was supposed to be destroyed with the Death Star in RotJ and they obviously went with the safe ending there too.

I think it might end up getting destroyed, its got a returning cast member in it for a final battle by the looks of things, they keep killing the returning cast members, so i'd wager its getting destroyed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,507 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

In fairness you can trash a ship of the line, the Enterprise isn't any one captains ship and is built as part of a larger fleet - but it's fair to say that the Milenium Falcon is Han Solo's ship (I know I know, it was technically Lando's previously).

I'd be genuinely surprised if Disney allow the ship to go down in a blaze of glory, but if not it just proves how suffocated the series is by its own visual identity. By all accounts, Episode VII should have ended with Solo flying the Falcon into the core of the McGuffin, the last heroic act. But we can't have that, so we now have someone else in the pilots seat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I personally think the Falcon should get destroyed. They're selling the whole end of the saga.

Comparing the destruction of the Falcon with the destruction of the Enterprise doesn't fly (pun unintended), because the Enterprise has had 7+ iterations over the years. The Falcon is just the one ship, albeit looking different in Solo.

As much as I dislike Abrams, I don't think even his ego is large enough to destroy such an iconic ship.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Relikk

I don't believe Abrams would destroy it. Rian Johnson on the other hand...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,444 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

it just proves how suffocated the series is by its own visual identity.

I'm all for a good bit of Disney bashing as you well know, but I'll defend their approach thus for in one broad philosophical (if not always practical) respect: Star Wars is its iconography. For a vast majority of viewers, anyway. It's easy for fans to say there are boundless opportunities to explore in the SW universe (pretty much every character who had a single shot in Mos Eisley has a spin-off novel) or for us to chuckle at how silly the po-faced Jedi lore is. But for most viewers Star Wars is the jedi. It's the Millennium Falcon and lightsabers. It's Darth Vader and Boba Fett. It's Luke Skywalker and C3PO. It's the Death Star and it's the X-Wing. Even more broadly, it's just how the whole universe looks and feels.

I think that's why it's always hard to depart from what George Lucas laid down, and why fundamentally we're still in a 100 year timeframe and family saga despite a universe of planets and history. Some of it's a failure of imagination and corporate cowardice for sure, but a lot of it is that Star Wars is more fundamentally associated with imagery and icons than it is with the lore. I'm sure some talented filmmaker can push things further, and JJ Abrams - I say this even as someone who'll defend plenty of his work - isn't the man to do that. But when you say 'suffocated'... the visual identity of Star Wars is Star Wars. For worse? Absolutely, when it restricts what can be done. But equally, it's what ensures that spinetingling feeling when the big bold 'STAR WARS' text appears before the opening crawl (John Williams helps of course :P).

But for most viewers Star Wars is the jedi. It's the Millennium Falcon and lightsabers. It's Darth Vader and Boba Fett. It's Luke Skywalker and C3PO. It's the Death Star and it's the X-Wing. Even more broadly, it's just how the whole universe looks and feels.
    This.

Disney are probably right to move on after IX with the SW universe and completely new stories.
    But they were also dead right to keep all that lore intact for this trilogy.

I'll be intrigued to see where they go after this. But nowhere near as excited due to the lack of the the above. It can't be replicated, unless any Obi Wan spinoff does what Solo didn't.

The Mandalorian looks fun, but it seems more Firefly, than Star Wars.
    Star Wars will actually become Sci Fi, instead of Fantasy in Space.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,294 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Dades wrote: »
    I'm down with the equivalent of dancing Ewoks for a finale.

Maybe roasting a few Porgs in celebration.

That would genuinely be hilarious. A load of Ewoks chomping away on porg meat as yub nub plays in the background.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Disney have made the Millenium Falcon damn near invulnerable in the Sequel trilogy and Solo, its been bashed into mountains, through forests, pretty much any surface it comes within an arses roar of. If its taken out by anything less then a supernova or a deathstar blast to the face I'm gonna be very disappointed.

Id love to see a darker end to it all, with a lot of the big characters meeting their maker.

Id actually be so happy if the bad guys won out in the end.

And the Falcon, by all means kill it. It's the end after all, it's not like it's needed again.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,479 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

NIMAN wrote: »
    Id love to see a darker end to it all, with a lot of the big characters meeting their maker.

Id actually be so happy if the bad guys won out in the end.

And the Falcon, by all means kill it.

Well if that's the only way for the film to become what it was meant to be...:P

I was kind of hoping Cersei would win the Game of Thrones but if it didn't happen for her I can't see Palpatine coming out on top...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,632 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

If the emperor prevails and kills off Rey and the gang then it would set up another trilogy very nicely

Advertisement