Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker **Spoilers from post 2076**

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Runaway hit highest gross beating The force Awakens
    So we are going to the forest moon? That’s Warwick Davis/Wicket. Looking much older :)

https://twitter.com/tumblingsaber/status/1200244533067440134?s=21

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

John Williams is a genius. Duel of the fates into imperial March. Never even imagined it possible.
    Lads this looks like it’s gonna be something else
    That mini trailer actually gave me goosebumps.
    pixelburp wrote: »
    All lightsabres that aren't simply swords are stupid. Including Kylos and the crossguard that'd do you more injury than the other guy. The jagged beam was a neat idea that should be expanded, but the design itself is overegged. It's all for toys and branding of course, but at least Lucas kept his to "simple" swords, adding the flourish to the hilt instead a series of increasingly impractical designs. Rey'd chop her legs off with that latched version, is she weren't paying attention.
    Sorry, but this reminds me a little of... :D

"In episode 2F09, when Itchy plays Scratchy's skeleton like a xylophone, he strikes the same rib twice in succession, yet he produces two clearly different tones..."

Lightsabers in general are a terrible idea. You're far more likely to lop off a bit your own body waving it around. The idea that adding a hilt makes it "impractical" is hilarious!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Total flop and a financial loss for Disney
    Flying storm troopers & horses in space.

Have a bad feeling about this...

The strange thing is hilts evolved to stop swords clashing and coming down to injure the hands. But weirdly you never see lightsabers sort of slide against each other going down to hit the hand. Probably intentionally in the choreography. Ewan McGregor recently spoke of him and Hayden taking lumps out of each other’s hands in the months of rehearsal for their fight
    So the hilt kind of makes real world sense even if we just haven’t seen it in there before. There is some ancient sith lightsaber has one too but it’s in Rebels and who even watches that

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,507 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Dades wrote: »
    That mini trailer actually gave me goosebumps.

Sorry, but this reminds me a little of... :D

"In episode 2F09, when Itchy plays Scratchy's skeleton like a xylophone, he strikes the same rib twice in succession, yet he produces two clearly different tones..."

Lightsabers in general are a terrible idea. You're far more likely to lop off a bit your own body waving it around. The idea that adding a hilt makes it "impractical" is hilarious!

At least as a basic shaft (hur hur hur), they're no more or less dangerous than a real sword. A properly weaponised sword ain't no thing to swing around either after all.

I dunno, it's a personal preference thing, but all those more elaborate ideas scream a desperation to reinvent the wheel for the sake of some toy lines. Like adding spoilers to cars, just a bit OTT.

Like we're just one film away from a blaster that shoots lightsabres :rolleyes: :D

• Advertisement

The massive space worm in this new one is really gonna freak you out :)
    (The Star destroyers are In atmosphere. Not in space)
    https://twitter.com/sadboykyio/status/1200244369607069696?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Watch your mouth kid, or you're going to find yourself labelled as toxic by the director of the movie :pac:

Thereve been new kinds of troopers introduced in every single film though hasn’t there? Personally thought the death troopers were kind of stupid looking
    Kinda thought the sith troopers in this one would catch the flack. Not the jet troopers
    (They’re just red stormtroopers afaik)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,507 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The franchise was never focused on real world vehicle design, why would it, but those jet trooper flinging bikes crossed the threshold from "eccentric" to "clearly made for toys". The Empi...First Order truly aren't big on health and safety. Between this and their aversion to guardrails.

Grevious' unicycle came off the same, can't immediately think of other vehicles that looked more like toys than anything someone might build...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭fluke

As someone who has more than a passing interest in the franchise, is Solo worth watching before The Dark Sky Rises?

I know it's not linked in the way the episodes 7 and 8 are to 9 (or aren't... depending on how you look at it), but is it likely to whet the appetite? It's the only movie of the 9 out that I haven't seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Relikk

fluke wrote: »
    As someone who has more than a passing interest in the franchise, is Solo worth watching before The Dark Sky Rises?

I know it's not linked in the way the episodes 7 and 8 are to 9 (or aren't... depending on how you look at it), but is it likely to whet the appetite? It's the only movie of the 9 out that I haven't seen.

If you only have a passing interest then you probably won't get much out of it and you won't be missing anything. It's not a great movie, by any means, and a slightly unnecessary addition to the franchise. It definitely has its annoyances, but it also has some solid performances from Alden Ehrenreich as Han, and Donald Glover as Lando, Harrelson and Bettany also, and some nice set pieces here and there.

As a lifelong Star Wars fan, it was worth a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Solo is unfairly maligned imo. its well worth a watch. and to me, Id put it only behind Rogue 1 out of the 4 new films.

Solo sure is a movie.

There, that's about as much as you can say about it.

It's not particularly bad, it's not particularly good, and you will learn absolutely nothing about Han Solo. That the film was basically shot twice, and the end result not a horrendous mess, probably makes it a larger success than other mediocre films at its level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭fluke

I suppose I understate my interest in SW, but some of the recent entries left me cold.

Thanks, sounds like it's worth a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

from the trailers ROS looks incredible. I fully expect it to be a narrative mess featuring characters I don't care much about, but it should at least be a spectacle.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,287 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

You never have to watch 'Solo'...

...ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

When you think about the title it really does have to be Kylo Ren returning to the good side. The "rise" of him. Yeah, his name is Ben Solo but he is still a Skywalker.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,641 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Has the guy who played young Solo even got another gig after playing Solo?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

If you like Han Solo from the original movies skip the Solo movie. It takes all the cool background stuff about him and turns it into a big pile of meh.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

pixelburp wrote: »
    At least as a basic shaft (hur hur hur), they're no more or less dangerous than a real sword. A properly weaponised sword ain't no thing to swing around either after all.
    It's all to do with weight and edges. A sword weighs something tangible and requires some heft to swing it about. It also has limited bits that will cut you (edges & tip). Assuming the laser blade weighs nothing... you can flick it about like holding a torch and every touch of it off skin will land you in A&E!

Also, I'm glad to see nobody singling out Disney for the merchandisation of Star Wars. They're simply following in the footsteps of the previous owner who milked that cash cow dry.

• Advertisement

For many it’s forgettable. For others it’s the most fun Star Wars since the original. It’s a complete box ticking excercise but it’s great fun and the way they han and chewies friendship develops and Lando of course, worth watching for that alone.
    At worst it’s forgettable. It’s not in any way bad. At best it’s a fun romp and potentially sets up stuff to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,375 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Many were saying the hype was low for this Star Wars compared to it's predecessors, but it's beginning to build nicely now

I don't think there's a single element of Solo you could say was "bad", it was a perfectly serviceable & professionally functional film, but I'd claim that oftentimes, mediocrity is a greater curse: at least conventionally "bad" films can bring their own bevvy of entertainment, laughing at a sloppy production and the unintentional hilarity of bad scripts, dialogue, acting or whatever. There's a good, definable reason why "The Room" continues to find itself screened at festivals or simple groups of film fans.

You remember a bad film. You'll instantly forget a mediocre one, and in many ways doesn't that make it a larger waste of everyone's time?

And Solo exited Thandie Newton stage left after about 5 minutes of screentime, which frankly, having watched Westworld lately, was a ludicrous waste of talent and potential right there. Especially when the leading female we actually got was Emilia Clarke. Yeesh.

I’d love the doom n gloomers to rank their Star Wars films of the new crop.

Solo probably comes out on top :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Hard to say. All four had the Marvel effect on me in that my first reaction was that was grand, only to not really think about the film again.

Rogue One is the only one I've rewatched.

Couldn't tell you how many times I've rewatched the prequels for all the bad that's involved. Can't explain why.

Hard to say. All four had the Marvel effect on me in that my first reaction was that was grand, only to not really think about the film again.

Rogue One is the only one I've rewatched.

Couldn't tell you how many times I've rewatched the prequels for all the bad that's involved. Can't explain why.

That’s a great example of what pixelburp was in about.

I hated rogue one at first. Apart from that last 30 minutes it’s dire.

But I came to love it as it is. And it’s in my top 5 now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,375 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

I’d love the doom n gloomers to rank their Star Wars films of the new crop.

Solo probably comes out on top :)

Rogue One
    Solo
    The Force Awakens
    The Last Jedi

Rogue One
    Solo
    The Force Awakens
    The Last Jedi

Cool list. I hope we get a solo series on the new channel. Just feels better suited to that. Let’s see though. They’re making a rogue one prequel series with Cassian andor.
    It can be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Adam Driver and Mark Hamill saved Last Jedi for me so I'd rank it second in my list. I obviously wanted something a bit grander for Luke like every other fan, but after all he's been through its totally understandable he'd become a bitter and fearful bastard. That being said, Rian could have been a bit more subtle in his approach but he wanted to shock with that lightsabre scene at the start. He's on the record as being a purposeful provocateur and no one can deny chucking the thing over the cliff was like hitting someone over the head with a hammer. Carny stuff dressed up as clever.

• Advertisement

Hard to group just four films really, and my ordering wouldn't factor in the relative distances between each film, there was a bit of a drop in quality from best to worst. And as I already said, Solo might be bottom but wasn't ostensibly a bad film, just irrelevant.

The Last Jedi
    Rogue One
    The Force Awakens
    Solo

Advertisement