Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker **Spoilers from post 2076**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,287 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

silverharp wrote: »
    He seems to be getting heat in his comments for this hot take

https://twitter.com/ScottMendelson/status/1206826229992583168

In the usual Twatter fashion, the social media denizens have failed to understand exactly what he meant by "fans" and started flinging their shit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Runaway hit highest gross beating The force Awakens
    Mr Freeze wrote: »
    The fans have not behaved well and I know its probably a very vocal minority but the hate for TLJ was way over the top.

Like Rian Johnson got death threats over the film.

I'm sure you are right that that is what most fans wanted, but nobody heard that just the crying and screaming.

I think you have to look in certain places to be aware of all that though. I'm a longstanding fan, but that doesnt mean I trudge through SW fans sites or anything like that, other than maybe the odd peruse to learn more about a certain character or whatever. Most of that noise goes right over my head and, as I referred to earlier, I would consider those type of fans to be on the extreme. There is a healthy body of 'ordinary fans' who love the films.

RE death threats.. Unfortunately, seems like virtually every public figure has to deal with the loons at this day and age. I'm not surprised by that at all. Particularly so given the advent of the internet and anonymity.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Fans can't ruin anything. But the detractors amongst them will sure try hard to change your personal perception of a film with the loudness of their opinions. It makes it hard to keep an open mind.

I also think they're guilty of wearing rose-tinted glasses and continually forget that not everything before TFA was a five-star masterpiece. Disney didn't invent less than perfect SW movies.

/Two more sleeps.

Tony EH wrote: »
    Opinions don't have volume levels.

Of course they do. You have to hear them. I'm exposed to your opinion here, but had you been posting on StarWarsFans.net, I would never know what your opinion might be.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Trigger happy internet Star Wars fans haven't exactly shown themselves capable of "debate".

And no, that's not having a go at ALL SW fans, before anyone gets antsy. Just the type that have consistently sh*t the bed, hounded actors off social media & so on.

It's not all one sided though Pix. The white knights jumping into every corner of the web to call people "sexists", "racists" and "haters" because they don't like a film don't exactly help either.

• Advertisement

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Of course they do. You have to hear them. I'm exposed to your opinion here, but had you been posting on StarWarsFans.net, I would never know what your opinion might be.

There's no more "loudness" in my opinion than anyone else's though.

There's no more "loudness" in my opinion than anyone else's though.

Don't do yourself a disservice Tony :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,504 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's not all one sided though Pix. The white knights jumping into every corner of the web to call people "sexists", "racists" and "haters" because they don't like a film don't exactly help either.

You're not wrong, but I've yet to see a film review-bombed or downvoted en masse because of this. Individuals have become pariahs for whatever social failures are perceived by the types you mention above, but when it comes to visible expressions, the sh*t thrown at the walls tends to smell more one way than another. Look no further for a recent example than the (phenomenal) Watchmen series, downvoted on aggregators by angry types ranting over "liberal bias".

pixelburp wrote: »
    You're not wrong, but I've yet to see a film review-bombed or downvoted en masse because of this. Individuals have become pariahs for whatever social failures are perceived by the types you mention above, but when it comes to visible expressions, the sh*t thrown at the walls tends to smell more one way than another. Look no further for a recent example than the (phenomenal) Watchmen series, downvoted on aggregators by angry types ranting over "liberal bias".

Just because it's harder to diagnose doesn't mean it isn't there though. Plenty of people upvote movies because it's "their" franchise and some do it before they've even seen the thing. They also trawl sites in efforts to "balance" the ying with their yang. It's madness.

There are sections on either side that are only interested in "their" team "winning" something, even though there is nothing to actually win and their input is more about trying to combat the so called "opposing view".

No doubt the web is largely responsible for this and we can see it in nearly every discussion from politics to movies. Everything has become politicised on the most base and childish level.

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Don't do yourself a disservice Tony :)

:pac:

I'm just text on the screen J.

Do I even exist?

giphy.gif?cid=790b76111752032290284b0c471a5b3d8aea2042878df4a7&rid=giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Total flop and a financial loss for Disney
    George Lucas not at the premiere that says it all.

Not interested in the opinions of the invited shills either The Last Jedi was hailed as the best thing since sliced bread by these people.

Edit people are saying he was not invited and if this is not true it means he wants nothing to do with this mess.

Good job Disney.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭doubledown

Just out.

That is all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Thanks to Rian, I better see x-wings controlled by droids doing light speed into Star Destroyers. The cheapest and most effective way to deal with an entire fleet of Star Destroyers. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭ErnestBorgnine

Falthyron wrote: »
    Thanks to Rian, I better see x-wings controlled by droids doing light speed into Star Destroyers. The cheapest and most effective way to deal with an entire fleet of Star Destroyers. :pac:

Rian doesn't really do logic or consistency, he's all about subversion over substance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Relikk

Rian doesn't really do logic or consistency, he's all about subversion over substance.

He's a good filmmaker. I always liked Looper, and I just saw Knives Out which was quite good, and I'd like to see what his proposed new trilogy is like. He just wasn't suited to a "Skywalker Saga" (I hate that term already) Star Wars movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Everything I've heard re: reactions tells me that this is a prime example of why you should never ever ever EVER listen to fanboys.
    Stay the path. Trust in your creative vision. Do not let people who aren't creatives dictate to you what goes in your movie.

The problem for me is that while I initially liked Kylo taking centre stage towards the end of TLJ, I only realised upon reflection that they stymied the character as any kind of serious threat other than being an unstable hothead.

Rey bested him already.

A fading Luke schooled him.

What's his big plan? To commit rage induced genocide? Maybe I would have cared about that if I cared about any of the characters but I don't. That fault lies with both Abrams and Johnson, not the fans.

I mean really, the fan's influence is overblown. Toxic fandom didn't hurt Captain Marvel so what is it about the Star Wars fandom that makes it so powerful that even the Mouse cowers in their wake?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Everything I've heard re: reactions tells me that this is a prime example of why you should never ever ever EVER listen to fanboys.
    Stay the path. Trust in your creative vision. Do not let people who aren't creatives dictate to you what goes in your movie.

I am kinda getting sick of this **** to be honest, its like not even properly out yet and there are thousand of shock jock type youtubers screaming to bring it down.

I have heard Bob Igor is keen to get away from the skywalker era and explore other places not so wrapped up with the existing fanbase and i think he is on the money.

Let me get the violin out for Mr Iger.

They spent a heap of money on the brand with the idea of making it back infinite, but they've made decisions to work against them. They can blame the fans and their attachment to the Skywalkers for that, or they can face facts and accept they did not put enough thought into the trilogy.

Let me get the violin out for Mr Iger.

They spent a heap of money on the brand with the idea of making it back infinite, but they've made decisions to work against them. They can blame the fans and their attachment to the Skywalkers for that, or they can face facts and accept they did not put enough thought into the trilogy.

Oh for sure Disney is at fault, like even today twitter is full of images of advertisements they are running about gender diversity ect for the new film. Its like red rag to a bull, and is normally an indicator of a film that is crap.

Its just at this stage with the franchise its going on too long.

Calhoun wrote: »
    Oh for sure Disney is at fault, like even today twitter is full of images of advertisements they are running about gender diversity ect for the new film. Its like red rag to a bull, and is normally an indicator of a film that is crap.

Its just at this stage with the franchise its going on too long.

I'm not thinking about these things when I'm watching films. My first reaction to Rey was that she was an interesting character and I was happy to see where her journey took her. It was only after the film I came across crap calling her a mary sue.

Ditto TLJ; my initial reaction to Rose was that the actress didn't do anything wrong, but I couldn't get my head around why the character was needed. That's where it began and ended for me - than I logged online and saw scum racially abusing the actress.

So there's definitely an element of deranged within the fanbase but they are simply a vocal minority clearly off their head. I doubt they have any kind of influence on Joe soap deciding to go see the films. They didn't stop Captain Marvel making a billion, so I really can't get my head around why people would think the Mouse are afraid of "Star Wars" fans. I put that in inverted commas because most of these fcukwits are rent a mouths on YouTube and the like who will moan about anything that appeals to the subscription base.

• Advertisement

I'm not thinking about these things when I'm watching films. My first reaction to Rey was that she was an interesting character and I was happy to see where her journey took her. It was only after the film I came across crap calling her a mary sue.

Ditto TLJ; my initial reaction to Rose was that the actress didn't do anything wrong, but I couldn't get my head around why the character was needed. That's where it began and ended for me - than I logged online and saw scum racially abusing the actress.

So there's definitely an element of deranged within the fanbase but they are simply a vocal minority clearly off their head. I doubt they have any kind of influence on Joe soap deciding to go see the films. They didn't stop Captain Marvel making a billion, so I really can't get my head around why people would think the Mouse are afraid of "Star Wars" fans. I put that in inverted commas because most of these fcukwits are rent a mouths on YouTube and the like who will moan about anything that appeals to the subscription base.

Neither am i but as i said its like a red rag to a bull to allot of the fanbase who are incensed over it.

Rey being a Mary-Sue is just down to bad story telling by Disney (Rian did not help), you could have called Anakin the same in the original to an extent. I actually liked Rose, i thought some of her scenes went a bit too far in terms of the feel good crap.

My main issue has been with characters like Finn or Poe who just seem like they should have been on character. Alternatively the killing off of the original cast extras so fast or a film length chase scene, these have been the key miss-steps and more valid criticism in my mind.

I don't think Disney are afraid of them more that they have enjoyed some really good years with Marvel being such a money spinner but starwars hasn't had the same success and you know how it is in the corporate world its not enough to make some money but has to be all of it. I do hope they expand it, like look at the success of the Mandalorian, they can do some good stuff when they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

New Star Wars Film Tomorrow! Is it time to hype? I dunno. Maybe!

Or like.. is it BATTLE DRUMS TIME?!?

Slydice wrote: »
    New Star Wars Film Tomorrow! Is it time to hype? I dunno. Maybe!

Lets go with hype, i am looking forward to it. Apparently this is also John Williams last hurrah.

Maybe I should take in a bit of Giacchino to bring balance to the score..
    (who am I kidding, this track is great!)

How many more hours??!

Oooookay.. maybe some HYPE!! :)

That was sooo good. Rogue One, May the force be with you!

The Rebellion just wouldn't have been the same!

Think I'll wrap up with the Alliance

• Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Some of my favourite movie critics/tweeters eviscerating this film like a dead tauntaun (some of these are cryptic because they wanted to avoid Twitter keyword searchers, I suppose, but they're all about the movie):

https://twitter.com/stefabsky/status/1207009812728426496?s=20

https://twitter.com/melvillmatic/status/1207022325847281664?s=20

https://twitter.com/davidehrlich/status/1207022209082052608?s=20

https://twitter.com/karenyhan/status/1207021464072925184

https://twitter.com/tvoti/status/1207048111710883840?s=20

But probably the worst thing I've heard about it confirms my suspicions from the marketing, which were that they seemed to be heavily reducing Kelly Marie Tran's presence. I loved her in TLJ, and after all the bullsh!t that the internet threw her way, this is not great, Bob:

https://twitter.com/stefabsky/status/1207026891229667328

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

^^^^^^ Im sure we will see nothing but rave reviews and hysterics from the stans fans

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

This is a great poster.

ELeEF04X0AMXWa7?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

• Advertisement
Advertisement