Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker **Spoilers from post 2076**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,287 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Everything I've heard re: reactions tells me that this is a prime example of why you should never ever ever EVER listen to fanboys.
    Stay the path. Trust in your creative vision. Do not let people who aren't creatives dictate to you what goes in your movie.

They didn't have one. That is the whole problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

MJohnston wrote: »
    Some of my favourite movie critics/tweeters eviscerating this film like a dead tauntaun (some of these are cryptic because they wanted to avoid Twitter keyword searchers, I suppose, but they're all about the movie):

https://twitter.com/stefabsky/status/1207009812728426496?s=20

https://twitter.com/melvillmatic/status/1207022325847281664?s=20

https://twitter.com/davidehrlich/status/1207022209082052608?s=20

https://twitter.com/karenyhan/status/1207021464072925184

https://twitter.com/tvoti/status/1207048111710883840?s=20

But probably the worst thing I've heard about it confirms my suspicions from the marketing, which were that they seemed to be heavily reducing Kelly Marie Tran's presence. I loved her in TLJ, and after all the bullsh!t that the internet threw her way, this is not great, Bob:

https://twitter.com/stefabsky/status/1207026891229667328

Quite a shame, i think she did more than Finn and Poe in the last film.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

^^^^^^ Im sure we will see nothing but rave reviews and hysterics from the stans fans

From what I'm seeing both sides of the line have been hating on the film. It's a shame; by trying to please everyone it looks like they've only pissed off everyone.

I would have preferred a simple Rey v Kylo over this even though that hardly excited me either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Review embargo ends at 8am GMT, I believe.

Be wary of spoilers.

Begun the Fan War has

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Disappointing box office take less than a billion
    Falthyron wrote: »
    Review embargo ends at 8am GMT, I believe.

Be wary of spoilers.

Begun the Fan War has

Avoid internet for 56 hours must I

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Total flop and a financial loss for Disney
    But probably the worst thing I've heard about it confirms my suspicions from the marketing, which were that they seemed to be heavily reducing Kelly Marie Tran's presence. I loved her in TLJ, and after all the bullsh!t that the internet threw her way, this is not great,

And people will still say Disney and co didn't react to the backlash.

It sounds like the film is throwing everything a fan might want to see and reducing things they didn't like by reading through angry forum posts. A film shouldn't be made that way.
    From what I'm seeing both sides of the line have been hating on the film. It's a shame; by trying to please everyone it looks like they've only pissed off everyone.

I don't think they were trying to please everyone, just trying to undo TLJ.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

57% RottenTomatoes (42% for Top Critics).
    53 on Metacritic.

I'm sure it'll still make a gazillion dollars, but I fear this is going to kill off Star Wars buzz for a long, long time. Given how much it seems to be a middle finger to Rian Johnson, I can't imagine his planned trilogy is going to go ahead now (honestly, I'm fine with that, I want to see him cash his cheques on some more original movies like Knives Out)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

57% RottenTomatoes (42% for Top Critics).
    53 on Metacritic.

I'm sure it'll still make a gazillion dollars, but I fear this is going to kill off Star Wars buzz for a long, long time. Given how much it seems to be a middle finger to Rian Johnson, I can't imagine his planned trilogy is going to go ahead now (honestly, I'm fine with that, I want to see him cash his cheques on some more original movies like Knives Out)

Bob Iger will learn nothing from this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

Hmm after reading negative reviews from some of these holier than thou critics, starting to think it might actually be good!

A lot of critics who loved TLJ seeming to have disliked this one.. that sounds promising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

So it's seems safe to say that Disney and their pc liberal ways have destroyed star wars

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,504 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

ricero wrote: »
    So it's seems safe to say that Disney and their pc liberal ways have destroyed star wars

Why, have you see the movie? Cos then maybe it ain't so safe to say ;)

Every major studio is PC and liberal. Nothing will kill Star Wars but Disney has hurt it as a brand through its studio-wide aversion of any creative risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

pixelburp wrote: »
    Why, have you see the movie? Cos then maybe it ain't so safe to say ;)

I highly doubt anyone who has the quality insight "pc liberals ruined star wars" has watched any of this trilogy due to Rey being on posters. Its the stock review all 3 (plus Rogue One for having Jyn) have had.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Runaway hit highest gross beating The force Awakens
    Giruilla wrote: »
    Hmm after reading negative reviews from some of these holier than thou critics, starting to think it might actually be good!

A lot of critics who loved TLJ seeming to have disliked this one.. that sounds promising.

Not to derail the thread, but the idea of a critic is bollocks :pac:
    We all watch movies. We all have different preferences. What background does anyone need to be a critic? set up a twitter, or website or youtube account? :p

Like back in the day I could understand you would have to be a jounalist in some newspaper. Someone who could take the words "yeah, the movie is alright, i liked the characters" and turn that into some big long piece that's entertaining to read.
    Even then, that was always their opinion. Wouldn't we all love to get paid to watch movies and talk sh*te? lol. But that's what it is. All sh*te!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I for one, plan on formulating my own opinion.

Possibly on a second viewing at the weekend with my kids - whose opinions are just as valid as those of us who dressed as black-cloaked Luke on Halloween 1983.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,504 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Oh here we go, the inevitable critic bashing / debate. Right on cue after the printing of aggregator scores. And because it's 2019, we spinkle in some raving about PC libruls :D

Screw it, I'm out. Was going to hang about for some users' thoughts but methinks this film is going to generate some heated discussion, or something akin to it at least. Enjoy the film for those genuinely excited though 👋

"Lunatics in MAGA hats took endless digs at The Last Jedi, the previous film in the Star Wars cycle, for supposedly bowing down to the Woke Ascendency. "

.. ok definitely getting excited now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

Giruilla wrote: »
    "Lunatics in MAGA hats took endless digs at The Last Jedi, the previous film in the Star Wars cycle, for supposedly bowing down to the Woke Ascendency. "

.. ok definitely getting excited now.
    My time of not reading the Irish Times on film is certainly coming to a middle. The only think more tiresome than the lunatic fringes of the internet is the dismissal of anyone whose opinion you don't like as the lunatic fringe.

Are they still refusing to review Woody Allen movies?

• Advertisement

mikhail wrote: »
    My time of not reading the Irish Times on film is certainly coming to a middle. The only think more tiresome than the lunatic fringes of the internet is the dismissal of anyone whose opinion you don't like as the lunatic fringe.

I'm not sure, but last time I checked Tara Brady was throwing 5 stars at anything with a political message she agreed with.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,287 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

ooooh......some of the reviews I've read this morning are pretty scathing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

in fairness, many people in this thread were saying it would probably be a mess because the whole trilogy has been made without any real plan and the last movie left no obvious story to continue. And sure enough the critics are all saying it's a mess. But I'm sure it will be an entertaining mess viewed on the big screen with a box of popcorn. Provided it's not downright boring like the prequels.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I am going to stay out of here until I see it on Monday but a friend seen it as a reviewer, no spoilers but just in case it annoys anyone:
    Says it is decent but crams alot in and will need a rewatch (I don't think this sounds good but he says it is). Clearly setting up for characters and future Disney movies more so than anything. All this said, he loved the Avengers movies so that's where he is at.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Total flop and a financial loss for Disney

I quite enjoyed that review.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

mikhail wrote: »

This is a strange question. Was Rainy Day in New York even released in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

I am booked in for the midnight show tonight and I will post my thoughts when I get home.

Despite the reviews, I am still looking forward to seeing the film (nostalgia driven optimism, I suspect), but as with The Last Jedi, I will try to provide two reviews - one as a Star Wars fan and the other as a fan of film in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

This is a strange question. Was Rainy Day in New York even released in Ireland?
    I'm referring to this, for context:
    https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/film/wonder-wheel-probably-the-last-woody-allen-movie-we-ll-review-1.3418303

• Registered Users Posts: 9,780 ✭✭✭buried

So,

'The Force Awakens' was a "F**k You" to the prequels

The 'The Last Jedi' was a "F**k You" to 'The Force Awakens'

Now this new thing is going to be a "F**k You" to 'The Last Jedi'

These things are just a vapid series of "F**k You'$"

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

The Sequel Trilogy failings go far far beyond any perceived pc Ness. Twas a lack of planning and joined up thinking between directors that killed this beast not Kelly Tran.

Advertisement