Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker **Spoilers from post 2076**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭fluke

buried wrote: »
    So,

'The Force Awakens' was a "F**k You" to the prequels

The 'The Last Jedi' was a "F**k You" to 'The Force Awakens'

Now this new thing is going to be a "F**k You" to 'The Last Jedi'

These things are just a vapid series of "F**k You'$"

Let the past die. Eff it if you have to

The Sequel Trilogy failings go far far beyond any perceived pc Ness. Twas a lack of planning and joined up thinking between directors that killed this beast not Kelly Tran.

I'd be happy to see a Kelly Marie Tran spin-off a la the Mandalorian. Her character Rose just got shortchanged in Ep 8, and by the sounds of it, even more so in 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,780 ✭✭✭buried

fluke wrote: »
    Let the past die. Eff it if you have to

:pac: Yeah, JJ really "let the past die" by basically making a carbon copy of 'A new hope' for his first mess

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

Total flop and a financial loss for Disney
    https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/movie-reviews/2019/1217/1101734-the-rise-of-skywalker-the-force-gets-its-mojo-back/

"The Last Jedi, a good film which nevertheless appalled the faithful by having the cheek to try something different."

LOL. Miss the point much?

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

Man, this will seem like schadenfruede but I really love a well written scathing review like that Irish Times one.

"The film is merely a component part of a larger machine (the trilogy) that plugs into an even larger mechanism (the Star Wars universe). It has no more use or appeal when examined in isolation than would a sparkplug or a distributor cap." Beautiful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Even rotten tomato reviewer scores are low, I wonder how the fans will receive it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭Acosta

There's only so much you can do to try and make these movies any good when you have main characters as dull as Rey, Finn and Poe.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

mikhail wrote: »

Paywalled for me, but from the lede there it seems a lot less like they're refusing to review more of his films, more that they don't think he'll make any more (he'd already made Rainy Day by that time, but it was clear by the time of that review that it wouldn't be released widely)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Calhoun wrote: »
    Even rotten tomato reviewer scores are low, I wonder how the fans will receive it.

So low they are now currently disabled, what an absolute joke of a website it is :rolleyes:

EDIT: Aaaaannnd back up again, with a higher score and gone from the rotten logo to tomato logo, wow.. Amazing! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

Runaway hit highest gross beating The force Awakens
    nix wrote: »
    So low they are now currently disabled, what an absolute joke of a website it is :rolleyes:
    I presume that's to prevent brigading by fans or anti-fans (haters? You know what I mean) before it's on general release.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

I presume that's to prevent brigading by fans or anti-fans (haters? You know what I mean) before it's on general release.

More like so people dont get deterred and spend the much wanted $€£

The audience score isnt out until tomorrow anyway, whats showing is the critics score..:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Every major studio is PC and liberal. Nothing will kill Star Wars but Disney has hurt it as a brand through its studio-wide aversion of any creative risk.

Marvel did just fine. that's an understatement. Yes, the responsibility lies with Iger, CEO, it was the forced progressiveness from the likes of Kathleen kennedy and those at lucas film, not just disney that caused the cluster **** off issues. Again they cannot blame the fans as they have done so publicly done, the sequels were unoriginal, they lacked substance and had no direction

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

It's nothing to do with politics or social agendas, the films just lacked a throughline to carry them. It's just been a very fragmented series of episodes.

It's weird to me that even something as innocuous as a disappointing series of blockbusters gets the blame put on the lefties these days.

I look forward to the podcasts I listen to and Red Letter Media and their take on ep 9, than ep 9 itself.

There is nothing about these movies that feels truly magical or wonderous, and that is what the OT (and so far) The Mandalorian have.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Acosta wrote: »
    There's only so much you can do to try and make these movies any good when you have main characters as dull as Rey, Finn and Poe.

I literally cannot recall a single memorable line - good or bad - from either of them. At least Anakin gave us his feelings about sand!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

I literally cannot recall a single memorable line - good or bad - from either of them. !

What about Wooooooooooooooooo?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,786 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I literally cannot recall a single memorable line - good or bad - from either of them. At least Anakin gave us his feelings about sand!

Isaac is a good actor too ,he can do much better.
    Ridley and Boyega are about as charismatic as a piece of wood though .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Off topic, but just in the interests of fairness to Donald Clarke: there’s nothing in that review about refusing to see or review Woody Allen films. It merely observes:
    it seems unlikely he will see another project distributed in this territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭MOR316

Stupidly went onto a Star Wars forum...

I literally read just one post at random and it's ruined the "big scene" in the movie for me.

Oh well...Saved 8 euro I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

MOR316 wrote: »
    Stupidly went onto a Star Wars forum...

I literally read just one post at random and it's ruined the "big scene" in the movie for me.

Oh well...Saved 8 euro I suppose

Based on the reviews you are not missing much.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Margate

An absolute slap on the face of the originals, never have I been angrier at a film

"watching the rise of skywalker is like telling an acquaintance you ate potato salad once and enjoyed it, and then having that acquaintance break into your home in the middle of the night, tie you to a chair, and mash potato salad into your face and eyes for 2+ hours" - twitter

From the NYT review - “The director is J.J. Abrams, perhaps the most consistent B student in modern popular culture.” :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,287 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Acosta wrote: »

As dreadful as they are, they can still take part in a well written story. But that hasn't happened either.

Diswars is just a corporate mandated nostalgia washing machine that is completely bereft of any real ideas.

The good new is that this is probably the last we'll see of these so called "characters".

But, hopefully, with these awful, awful, sequels out of the way, somebody can now step in and, at least, oversee the whole thing on a more satisfactory level.

And I'm talking bleedin Kevin Feige or Feloni.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,287 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

"watching the rise of skywalker is like telling an acquaintance you ate potato salad once and enjoyed it, and then having that acquaintance break into your home in the middle of the night, tie you to a chair, and mash potato salad into your face and eyes for 2+ hours" - twitter

From the NYT review - “The director is J.J. Abrams, perhaps the most consistent B student in modern popular culture.” :pac:

I genuinely LOL'd.

That's brilliant.

On JJ, it's consistently bemusing how he's constantly gigging. He's is absolutely one of the worst things to happen to cinema in decades. "B student" is being abundantly kind.

It's a bit silly, I spose, but I am actually coming close to developing a real hated for little creep and I'm getting sick of his fake business enthusiasm and general spoofery.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,795 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Margate wrote: »
    An absolute slap on the face of the originals, never have I been angrier at a film

I wouldn't worry about it too much its only a movie.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Runaway hit highest gross beating The force Awakens
    Margate wrote: »
    But... but... you haven't seen it?

None of us have? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Tony EH wrote: »
    But, hopefully, with these awful, awful, sequels out of the way, somebody can now step in and, at least, oversee the whole thing on a more satisfactory level.

And I'm talking bleedin Kevin Feige or Feloni.

After Feloni's episode of The Mandalorian I have my doubts about him, but surely anyone is better than Kennedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,640 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Dades wrote: »

Those in Australia have.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Dades wrote: »

Irish reviewers have seen it, surprised there were not more people on here claiming they had just so they could justify giving out :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Tony EH wrote: »
    I genuinely LOL'd.

That's brilliant.

On JJ, it's consistently bemusing how he's constantly gigging. He's is absolutely one of the worst things to happen to cinema in decades. "B student" is being abundantly kind.

It's a bit silly, I spose, but I am actually coming close to developing a real hated for little creep and I'm getting sick of his fake business enthusiasm and general spoofery.

JJ is the kind of journeyman director who can bring a project in on-time and generally competently made. That's catnip to Hollywood execs. It's why the likes of Ron Howard, Clint Eastwood, etc. keep getting to make movies. The MCU has pretty much been built on journeyman direction. That's why JJ is everywhere.

That said, I think he's an excellent producer. He has a fantastic eye for casting, knows how to steer a project to getting made, and is great at the promotional side of things.

Advertisement