Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker **Spoilers from post 2076**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Where did I say it is the last we will hear of Star Wars?

You said the franchise was dead. Its not. Its not dead at all. There are going to be a whole host of star wars properties to come. The franchise is very much fully functional and operational.... Sorry.... Very much alive.
    What she has done is take one of, if not the most profitable franchises in the world and ensure that future movies, whenever they decide to make another, will be met with disdain rather than excitement.

From some. I for one won't meet future star wars movies with disdain. That's a bit too sensationalist for me. And I'm sure there are others who feel the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

What reaction to heresay? It is the lowest rated Star Wars movie ever on Rotten Tomatoes, the second lowest rated Star Wars movie ever on Metacritic. That's comparing Star Wars v Star Wars.

If you haven't seen it, it's hearsay. You are taking the word of others. Hearsay.
    buried wrote:
    Sure why wouldn't they? You go to a restaurant for a three course meal and both your starter and main course is absolute crap you can fairly assume the next course is going to be crap too. I went to go see TFA when it first came out, waited for blu ray release for the other yoke. I doubt I'll be getting around to watching this new thing until some TV station shows it some Christmas 3 years from now. I might never watch it. The whole trilogy is a huge mess already.

Look i disagree. The movies aren't perfect but they are good fun. And are worth watching. I rewatched TLJ last week and it is an entertaining movie in its own right. Maybe my expectations on what I'll get from these movies is just different. I'm looking for light entertainment. That's it. I daresay I'll get it from this movie.

If you don't agree with this, I am amazingly OK with that. Agree to disagree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

It was the Last Jedi that killed it, a film I initially thought was alright but on reflection it left the franchise with nowhere to go

It left absolutely no story threads to continue with into the third movie, whereby Abrams had to come in and try to create something to finish it.

I don't think it's fair to say that. The concept of Rey as a nobody combined with Luke handing the tradition over to her to rebuild it in another shape combined with the broom boy and the whole percolating underground vs elites energy in Canto Bight (much maligned but in fact very promising) was a well built springboard to a new world where the Jedi legacy is honoured but with Luke's passing ultimately a thing of the past and a new force emerges, leaving the bloodlines behind; potentially with Leia overseeing the transition as her last mission and some interesting dilemmas around Kylo Ren's allegiance and fate. Potentially setting up a new, and different, trilogy.

Instead we have Palpatine and judging from the reviews a full reset/retcon festival.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Total flop and a financial loss for Disney

1972-star-wars-rise-skywalker-jetpacks-yt.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Just back from the premiere in cineworld - IMO its better than the last Jedi but not as good as force awakens (and far far inferior to rogue one).

I’d give it 6/10.

Nothing really original and way too much crammed in, too many characters and locations all edited together way too fast.

I don’t think it will perform well at the box office.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Just back from the premiere in cineworld - IMO its better than the last Jedi but not as good as force awakens (and far far inferior to rogue one).

I’d give it 6/10.

Nothing really original and way too much crammed in, too many characters and locations all edited together way too fast.

Can you see long time fans skipping this one?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,331 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

spoiler free, not a fan of this movie

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Can you see long time fans skipping this one?

No - I think it’s worth a watch, but wouldn’t be rushing to the cinema. A lot of my own friends will just watch it at home in a few months.

I’d give it 6/10.

I'm by no means a star wars nerd but to me the first two films were like they used the originals as a roadmap and were too similar is the new one similar to return of the jedi? I'd be very surprised if it isn't .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Well that was....... Meh. Disappointing sums it up nicely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 BrandNewMedium

Just leaving a first screening here, hard to see how that could be described as disappointing, epic in scale, I think the cohesion of the whole series is now pretty solid, some moments and events genuinely thrilled me and some parts made me laugh inside because there’s some silliness for sure.

I liked it, would put it at number 4/5 of the 9, behind the OT and tied with ROTS, possibly ahead of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Runaway hit highest gross beating The force Awakens
    Very much enjoyed that, TLJ May as well not have happened..
    couple of weird choices.. but overall a very good movie! Maybe above TFA for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

ibFoxer wrote: »
    Well that was....... Meh. Disappointing sums it up nicely.
    What did Finn want to tell Rey?

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

I liked it. It came together well - especially given the various directorial / writing probs that plagued all 3 sequels. Well paced and held interest throughout. Some plot quirks, but that’s to be expected given the writing problems. Overall though, a good action movie.

Went to the triple bill. It struck me how good TFA was (even if it is just a remake of ANH). TFA is much better than TLJ.

It’s pretty clear from how the ROS story unfolds that JJ and Rian had entirely different visions.

ROS is definitely worth seeing. A fitting enough end to the Skywalker saga.

Makes me wonder what would have happened if JJ had helmed all 3 movies. His 2 are definitely better than Johnson's

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭geecee

Just in too and really enjoyed it on first viewing

In particular enjoyed the
    retcons to undo Rian Johnsons damage e.g.
    Luke saying "that's no way to treat a light saber" as Rey threw it into the burning Tie Fighter
    Legion General Pride - a proper commander, putting down snivelling Hux permanently
    Some of the dialog was very very clunky, in particular the Emperors scenes, but I thought that they handled Leia's scenes well without any major "uncanny valley" moments
    Also loved the scene when Rey lit her light saber in the serpents tunnel whilst Poe lit his torch at the same time, flashbacks to childhood camping trips pretending my torch was a light saber!
    Overall I'm far happier on this first viewing than I was on first viewing of TLJ

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

What did Finn want to tell Rey?

:)

I assume it was
    that he is force sensitive

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

I really enjoyed it and will gladly go again. Lots to process definately. A few odd scenes for sure and story choices. poor Rose got friend zoned by Finn somethin serious after saving his life in TLJ. The Leia dialogue was a bit "that would be an ecumenical matter" but that was to be expected and they fitted her in well into the film. Lando was great and
    the scene with Han served as a brilliant plot device to turn Kylo. You could hear a pin drop in the cinema too. Had to laugh at the very loud tut simultaneously from about 5 lads in front of me when Ben and Rey kissed.

Definitely not disappointed anyway and I was more worried about this film than any others in the saga. especially given the early reviews

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Happy enough with that. Thought it was good, bit of silliness that's to be expected. Certainly not the worst Star Wars movie by any stretch.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Brief thoughts:

Hot mess.
    Some grade-a bull**** and/or nonsense going down.
    Has the pacing of a runaway freight train, and not in a good way.
    Looks and sounds great.
    I am very pro Babu Frik and I don’t even care what you think.
    Ban fan service.

I will try and form coherent thoughts in the morning. In the meantime: a pale shadow of The Last Jedi, but a bit better than the lesser Star Wars films. I probably preferred it to Return of the Jedi, but I dislike Return of the Jedi, so there’s that.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Spideog Rua

Just home. That was a screaming pile of dogshìt

Edit. Also, were there 30 mins of ads before the movie anywhere else or was it just Liffey Valley

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

O_oooooooo!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Just home. That was a screaming pile of dogshìt
    I wouldn't go quite that far but I definitely felt like checking my shoes after coming out of it. Adam Driver was good and Anthony Daniels finally got some screen time. The last 10 minutes should be burned on a pyre.

Edit. Ads galore in Monaghan too plus trailers for Black Widow, Mulan and some Pixar thing all of which look terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I did not love it. I did not even like it on first viewing. I’m still of the mind frame that the damage was done with the last film, and the need to try create a new final plot and deal with Carrie Fisher’s death was too much. The film had the odds stacked against it and it really didn’t have room to breathe. There is just too much going on, some terrible dialogue, plot contrivances everywhere, no great standout action set piece, too many fake outs
    chewie’s death (trailers reunited that) and C3-P0’s memory loss
    , and what the hell was going on with
    Mark Hamill’s terrible wig?
    This may have been a reasonable plot to have crafted better from Ep 8 to set up into this but it’s all hamfisted and shoehorned into this and so much makes no sense.

I can’t really blame JJ. He had a hard task and some amount of pressure. It’s all a Disney hot mess.

Anyway, they’re my initial thoughts while it’s late, and I’m tired. Not sure if a second viewing will improve it for me, my friends all loved it, but I’ll give it a try at some stage now I’ve let it wash over me.

Did anyone else have a big WTF moment with
    Lando’s last comment
    ? That came across as just creepy.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Edit. Ads galore in Monaghan too plus trailers for Black Widow, Mulan and some Pixar thing all of which look terrible.

We got a trailer for the the film we were about to watch, which was a bit odd.

That came across as just creepy.

Totally. Felt very wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭doubledown

Just back from midnight screening. My second viewing. Hated it yesterday. It was even worse this time. Audience didn't react to anything. Everyone I saw it with hated it. Loads of empty seats too. Not a good sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

robinph wrote: »
    We got a trailer for the the film we were about to watch, which was a bit odd.

Thats an absolute sickner for the hardcore fans that avoid all trailers etc for months in the run up to the film. it happened us in omniplex before TLJ and then after the trailers, some chick flick started before they realised they loaded up the wrong film & set of trailers

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Just back. Probably 12A advised for some of the violence.
    I really liked it!
    Saw it in 3D IMAX. Big screen recommended. 3D felt like an enhancement more than absolutely needed.
    Surprised absolutely not a thing got spoiled on me. Though I recommend seeing it sooner rather than later.

Fast paced. That didn't feel like two and a half hours. Maybe in one or two spots it took a breather but quickly kicked off again.

I didn't guess
    who the Spy was but then when Hux asked for the blaster it was obvious. It was hilarious how crap he faked it and how fast Pryde reacted.
    Keri Russell acting with her eyes! Damn but that woman can act!
    The tie-in
    with the Sith and the Emporer and the original trilogy in many places felt like a real hat tip to the fans of the wider stories/shows/etc.
    Leia and Chewie when he found out about Leia!
    Awe man, when
    Solo said 'I know' to Kylo!
    Rey
    totally looked dead there at the end.
    The Kylo and Rey kiss felt a bit wierd!
    The Emporer force lightening the sky!
    They really did make that part of the show look like all hope was lost.
    Pretty sure Finn
    was holding back saying he loved Rey.. or at least the storywriters wanted that to be thought.
    Lando w
    as alright.. not much from him though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

It's good but not great. It runs along at a breakneck speed. It doesn't give you a chance to breathe for two and a bit hours. Is it a satisfying conclusion? Yeah I guess. I didn't love it, quite a few moments made me roll my eyes. But at the same time a few parts had my practically punching the air.

It's not going to please everyone (how could it?) but it's perfectly fine.

Also - you could pretty much go straight from the Force Awakens to this and not be missing much from Last Jedi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Hopefully it will flop and the big studios will look into making original movies and stop trying to reinvigorate franchises and using comic book material.

Nobody needs anew star wars, a new terminator or any marvel or dc movie. They had their day. It's time to trust the talent the likes of Rian Johnson has to create something new.

Advertisement