Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker **Spoilers from post 2076**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Runaway hit highest gross beating The force Awakens
    Saw it earlier. There are a few gripes, issues and nitpicks I have, but I actually really enjoyed it overall. The tone and feel of the film was good, and it did try and resolve a lot of things. I found it strangely emotional at times, and there was a weight to it insofar as you knew 'this is the end' of this saga.

Adam Driver with a great performance and the standout character for me.
    Was pretty gutted he died. Despite Rey 'taking' Skywalker as her name, she is a Palpatine, the last Skywalker being Ben.

It was almost funny at the end where they were all basically resurrecting each other, but then Kylo just lost out - almost as though he was just unfortunate he didn't happen to be sitting in a chair when the music stopped. Gutted with that anyway, would have been a neat ending for them both to make it, but maybe too cutesy for some.

I'd imagine that Disney/LucasArts will add slight edits to the films to tidy up some of the narrative a little - release remasters or 'studio edit'. After all, the OG trilogy was 'updated' a few times to account for both improvements in technology, but also narrative from the prequels. No harm to neaten some of the craics between the quite different films of the new trilogy.

Final thoughts.. In the first instance and with a macro view, Disney are to be condemned for not having a full, agreed plan in place for the final trilogy with all stakeholders agreed, before production (was it directors egos didn't help? Creative control?).

At the time, TFA seemed to be a semi decent reboot of the series. With hindsight, it does have some pretty annoying characters, is quite formulaic and does lack creativity. So while it doesnt make for amazing repeat viewing, it did make space for Johnson to do something great, with reasonably sound foundations and a host of characters. For me, Johnson did not deliver with TLJ, and neither did he carry the torch to pass back. There is a weird 'arthouse' aesthetic to that film which isnt in keeping with Star Wars for me. It also closed many doors for the final instalment.

Abrams killing Han was rough, but I could live with it. Not using Luke was very frustrating, but at least he had a huge build up for Johnson to go to town with, instead RJ utterly misused and abused Luke, before killing him off. Captain Phasma and Snoke both -also killed off, Phasma particularly unthinkingly. So while it was a bit clumsy how Abrams shoehorned 'the Emperor was behind everything all along' in at the start, fair play in another sense, as it gave licence to him to get stuck into it right away.

All in all, quite satisfied with the film, and I enjoyed it.

I'm really enjoying the Mandalorian now, so hopefully the good reception that has received will prove instructive to better guide Disney on future SW efforts, namely the purported 'new saga'.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Saw it earlier. There are a few gripes, issues and nitpicks I have, but I actually really enjoyed it overall. The tone and feel of the film was good, and it did try and resolve a lot of things. I found it strangely emotional at times, and there was a weight to it insofar as you knew 'this is the end' of this saga.

Adam Driver with a great performance and the standout character for me.
    Was pretty gutted he died. Despite Rey 'taking' Skywalker as her name, she is a Palpatine, the last Skywalker being Ben.

It was almost funny at the end where they were all basically resurrecting each other, but then Kylo just lost out - almost as though he was just unfortunate he didn't happen to be sitting in a chair when the music stopped. Gutted with that anyway, would have been a neat ending for them both to make it, but maybe too cutesy for some.

I'd imagine that Disney/LucasArts will add slight edits to the films to tidy up some of the narrative a little - release remasters or 'studio edit'. After all, the OG trilogy was 'updated' a few times to account for both improvements in technology, but also narrative from the prequels. No harm to neaten some of the craics between the quite different films of the new trilogy.

Final thoughts.. In the first instance and with a macro view, Disney are to be condemned for not having a full, agreed plan in place for the final trilogy with all stakeholders agreed, before production (was it directors egos didn't help? Creative control?).

At the time, TFA seemed to be a semi decent reboot of the series. With hindsight, it does have some pretty annoying characters, is quite formulaic and does lack creativity. So while it doesnt make for amazing repeat viewing, it did make space for Johnson to do something great, with reasonably sound foundations and a host of characters. For me, Johnson did not deliver with TLJ, and neither did he carry the torch to pass back. There is a weird 'arthouse' aesthetic to that film which isnt in keeping with Star Wars for me. It also closed many doors for the final instalment.

Abrams killing Han was rough, but I could live with it. Not using Luke was very frustrating, but at least he had a huge build up for Johnson to go to town with, instead RJ utterly misused and abused Luke, before killing him off. Captain Phasma and Snoke both -also killed off, Phasma particularly unthinkingly. So while it was a bit clumsy how Abrams shoehorned 'the Emperor was behind everything all along' in at the start, fair play in another sense, as it gave licence to him to get stuck into it right away.

All in all, quite satisfied with the film, and I enjoyed it.

I'm really enjoying the Mandalorian now, so hopefully the good reception that has received will prove instructive to better guide Disney on future SW efforts, namely the purported 'new saga'.

The thing for me though is that as much as you are saying allot of what happened was shoehorned in the SW universe it fits especially
    Palpatine being behind it.

The films are actually really bad in terms of explaining and expanding on the true powers of the force and what can really be done with it. One of the limited good things to come out of Disney's partnership with EA has been the Fallen order game which adds a good foundation for the narrative in the film and the
    use of the force beyond death.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Yes, overall, I'm very satisfied with the film. I think it was about as good as it could be given what came before it, and is a pretty good ending. It was much better than I expected, though I had very low expectations after TLJ and Solo. I'd urge others to be more positive before watching it.
    I half expected there might be a huge forceghost party at the end, with everyone in it, and Ben with Mum etc. That would have been super corny, but Lucas would've done it! :D

That Palpatine girl has some cheek passing herself as a Skywalker

• Registered Users Posts: 38,384 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Enjoyed that

Was never a massive fan of the star wars saga and only really got into them in a small way with the new trilogy

Theres experts fans out there who would have different opinions on this trilogy

So where to next ??? Is there something else coming along in a few years

Yes, overall, I'm very satisfied with the film. I think it was about as good as it could be given what came before it, and is a pretty good ending. It was much better than I expected, though I had very low expectations after TLJ and Solo. I'd urge others to be more positive before watching it.
    I half expected there might be a huge forceghost party at the end, with everyone in it, and Ben with Mum etc. That would have been super corny, but Lucas would've done it! :D

That Palpatine girl has some cheek passing herself as a Skywalker

In ways she was tutored more by the skywalkers than anyone so it makes sense and she is
    honoring Ben

I agree with you though TLJ kinda spoiled the broth with this incarnation of films. The main complaints would be the misuse of character arcs and assets they had, like the wiping out of Ackbar and the old resistance leadership.

I don't see them abandoning the series now not after spending so much on it, hopefully they will plan it allot more seriously going forward to ensure consistency of narrative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭UI_Paddy

Disappointing box office take less than a billion
    PTH2009 wrote: »

There was a Rian Johnson trilogy planned but given the backlash against Last Jedi it's hard to imagine his name being associated with Star Wars ever again would go down well, which is unfortunate.

Benioff and Weiss were also reportedly doing a series of movies, but they have parted ways with Lucasfilm.

There were dates given as 2022, 2024 and 2026 for new movies, guess only time will tell who will be involved in them and what new stories they will give us.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Enjoyed that

Was never a massive fan of the star wars saga and only really got into them in a small way with the new trilogy

Theres experts fans out there who would have different opinions on this trilogy

Many places from here, the expanded universe for Starwars is as vast. I don't know if there is any concrete plans for now but based on the success of the mandalorian i would expect they will do something.

I would love to see some of the old Mandalorian empire, the unknown regions explored particularly the Chiss, the Yuuzhan Vong or even the Rakathan (would love to see what they did to Tatooine.

What happened in Iceland?

Ah it's the wrong forum for it, plus I'm working on the book and don't wanna give anything away for free in here :D

Anyway, I almost went to the midnight showing of this last night on a whim. I shat out of it at the last minute because I didn't really want to go on my own. Myself and the OH will catch it in early January when work calms down like we did with TFA and TLJ.

I was never what you'd call a Star Wars fan, having been born the year the OT concluded and missing that boat, but from the prequels onward I always tried to see the main SW movies in the cinema. Not a fan as such, but I do like SW.

Now that the poor to mixed reviews for TROS are in abundance, there is a side of me that wants to see this fail purely for schadenfreude at corporate and creative mishandling, a la WB/DC's Justice League butchery. However, for the actual SW fans, I hope this story ends as well as it can. As a Batman fan, there was a moment in Justice League where I think I actually felt my childhood breaking - Superman throws Batman to the ground from a height and Batman smashes against a car, then mutters to himself "Yep...something's definitely bleeding" in a 'humourous' callback to his darker "Tell me, do you bleed?" line from BvS.

Disney won't learn any lessons here with a critical mauling, this movie is still gonna break a billion+ worldwide, so no point in hoping for the shít to keep flowing on TROS. It's only the real fans who suffer, I know this from Justice League. Even if there are flaws in this curtain call, I sincerely hope you SW fans don't have a "Something's definitely bleeding" moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭brevity

Heading to the midnight showing of this but also super exhausted. It better be good. I’ve been avoiding Star Wars related stuff but I have inadvertently seen a few headlines which tell me the reviews are going to be very mixed.

We shall see I guess

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I took a half day of work to go to this and have to say as a life long Star Wars fan I was extremely disappointed with
    how the force can now be used to transfer things across space, heal wounds and bring people back from the death. Bit disappointing that Yoda and Obi Wan just went into hiding rather than going around bringing their friends back to life, also Obi Wan should really have tried helping Qui-Gon when he suffered a very similar wound to Ben. Also, Palps is some man for 1 man to survive being thrown down a shaft to being in such a huge explosion on a space station to being in a space station that crashes.

They made such a HUGE deal out of fuel in the last film and in Solo but they go back to just ignoring it again, they find a ship that's in a dessert for about 20 years and then they just start it up. On that scene actually, they make a huge deal out of climbing up the rocks and giving each other a boost up but then they just hop up and down with no problems, for what looked like a place out in the middle of no where the "quick sand" was a long way away and they had very silent transporters that 2 can land and take off without really being noticed.

Now, to non-force users, so Han is a force ghost now or is just shoehorned in to get Harrison Ford back into the movie as a visible memory, surely having Leia as a force ghost there would have made far far more sense. I can't remember a force user being able to detect a non-force user before but Rey can sense Chewie is still alive.

Speaking of Leia, so now she's almost a full Jedi who did almost all her training but has her own lightsaber constructed but takes to the bed to "connect" with her son and the just dies from the effort when her twin brother a year previously was able to fully interact with him and fool hundreds of people to think he was there and disappears some time after she dies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

brevity wrote: »
    Heading to the midnight showing of this but also super exhausted. It better be good. I’ve been avoiding Star Wars related stuff but I have inadvertently seen a few headlines which tell me the reviews are going to be very mixed.

We shall see I guess

Why so Late?

Just back from seeing it myself and have to say I Really enjoyed it. I actually thought it could have been 20 minutes longer than it was. It really has to be seen on the big screen. There is some emotional moments in it , some humour and some sad moments too. here was a bit at the beginning that I was not to happy about and the ending certainly is not as good as the one in TROJ.

As for this bul sh'it about the flying space horses I do not know what drugs the people here talking about that were on but there is none in the film.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,611 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. There are only 3 Star Wars movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,780 ✭✭✭buried

lol This sounds very bad. I might actually go see this one of the nights after a few pints and have a good laugh

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,611 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Clareman wrote: »
    I took a half day of work to go to this and have to say as a life long Star Wars fan I was extremely disappointed with
    how the force can now be used to transfer things across space, heal wounds and bring people back from the death. Bit disappointing that Yoda and Obi Wan just went into hiding rather than going around bringing their friends back to life, also Obi Wan should really have tried helping Qui-Gon when he suffered a very similar wound to Ben. Also, Palps is some man for 1 man to survive being thrown down a shaft to being in such a huge explosion on a space station to being in a space station that crashes.

They made such a HUGE deal out of fuel in the last film and in Solo but they go back to just ignoring it again, they find a ship that's in a dessert for about 20 years and then they just start it up. On that scene actually, they make a huge deal out of climbing up the rocks and giving each other a boost up but then they just hop up and down with no problems, for what looked like a place out in the middle of no where the "quick sand" was a long way away and they had very silent transporters that 2 can land and take off without really being noticed.

Now, to non-force users, so Han is a force ghost now or is just shoehorned in to get Harrison Ford back into the movie as a visible memory, surely having Leia as a force ghost there would have made far far more sense. I can't remember a force user being able to detect a non-force user before but Rey can sense Chewie is still alive.

Speaking of Leia, so now she's almost a full Jedi who did almost all her training but has her own lightsaber constructed but takes to the bed to "connect" with her son and the just dies from the effort when her twin brother a year previously was able to fully interact with him and fool hundreds of people to think he was there and disappears some time after she dies.

Re
    Han Solo. He wasn’t a force ghost. Kylo was tripping

• Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭brevity

AMKC wrote: »
    Why so Late?

Well **** me. I got the dates and times mixed up. Was supposed to be last night.

Sigh...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

faceman wrote: »
    Re
    Han Solo. He wasn’t a force ghost. Kylo was tripping
    I thought that cause there wasn't an aura around him but come on it just doesn't make sense.

I thought that cause there wasn't an aura around him but come on it just doesn't make sense.

Nothing in this trilogy makes sense! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 9,780 ✭✭✭buried

lol

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Relikk

how the force can now be used to transfer things across space, heal wounds and bring people back from the death. Bit disappointing that Yoda and Obi Wan just went into hiding rather than going around bringing their friends back to life, also Obi Wan should really have tried helping Qui-Gon when he suffered a very similar wound to Ben.

Traditionally not everybody had the same force abilities bar the usual one's we were used to seeing from Lucas' movies.

Relikk wrote: »
    Traditionally not everybody had the same force abilities bar the usual one's we were used to seeing from Lucas' movies.

I know that but there's a few new ones introduced in almost every new movie now, damn midichlorians must be awful busy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I thought the opening was superb, some really nice bits in it. Only regret I have is that
    Palpatine wasn’t hinted in other 2 movies, really could of built him up more in them.

Drumpot wrote: »
    I thought the opening was superb, some really nice bits in it. Only regret I have is that
    Palpatine wasn’t hinted in other 2 movies, really could of built him up more in them.

The start was excellent, great fast paced start to a movie but I did find it hard to hear was
    Palpatine
    was saying

Actually, I also found it hard to hear what
    was the exact connection to Rey, was it her father was Palpatine's son or was it her mother

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Relikk

Actually, I also found it hard to hear what
    was the exact connection to Rey, was it her father was Palpatine's son or was it her mother
    Palp's son.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭RickBlaine

Just back home after seeing it. I don't think I can describe myself as a Star Wars fan. I am a fan of good movies and sometimes that includes Star Wars.

I enjoyed it on a superficial level. It didn't wow me as much as The Force Awakens did, but that had the advantage of being new and fresh.

The issues with this new movie is that there is very little innovation. We've seen it all before especially by the time we get to the finale. There is also some pretty aggressive undoing of some of the key storytelling from The Last Jedi. This does feel like a proper continuation of The Force Awakens (which The Last Jedi did not) but it also feels like Abrams' ideas for the two sequels have been condensed into one movie and something is lost in that process. The plotting is very poor, and the story is often propelled many times by characters simply getting a hunch or a feeling. At one point, a character asks another character how they know some vital piece of information and their one sentence reply was along the lines of "I just know". The movie seemed to place a lot of gravitas on that moment, and it may have been some important development for the character, but if it was, the movie did a terrible job of setting it up.

There are individual ideas and new characters that could have been interesting but aren't given any room to develop.

It is also a very safe movie. There are a few times it attempted to do something bold and darling but they are soon negated within a few scenes.

So the lack of innovation, the retreading of very familiar tropes and settings, and the poor plot made the whole story feel rather jaded.

But, as I said, on a purely superficial level of sci-fi action, it is entertaining especially if you like the characters. The problem is that isn't enough for a fitting finale to either the trilogy started by The Force Awakens or the 40+ year Skywalker saga as a whole. Endgame, which had its problems, at least had the weightiness that is required of a epic saga finale.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

brevity wrote: »
    Well **** me. I got the dates and times mixed up. Was supposed to be last night.

Awe sh'it. Hate when that happens.

Hope you get to see ssometime.

Sigh...
    Drumpot wrote: »
    I was not mad about the opening myself. What happened to you can't just jump here there and everywhere like that you need co-ordinate stardates whatever they use in Star Wars. Han would not have been impressed. They could have ran into a star or a planet.

Sure that could have worked if Disney had of had a better plan on how to do the three movies and a consitency through them inside of the idea of giving it to three different directors which ended up been two diferent directors.
    I actually kind of liked that we only found out he was behind it all in this one.
    [/QUOTE]

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

I know that but there's a few new ones introduced in almost every new movie now, damn midichlorians must be awful busy.

Well you have the expanded universe to thank for that, KOTOR for example did allot to expand the different roles of the Jedi, from Knights to Counselors ect ect. Even as i said earlier the recent example of Fallen Order had a new kind of death force use in the form of the night sisters.

The main problem with all of this though is Katherine Kennedy has pretty much said allot of the canon written by dark legacy comics ect doesnt exist but id say they will go back to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Not long back from seeing it at the Lighthouse (such a fantastic cinema) with my two sons and I'm delighted to say I loved it to bits. My eyes filled with tears at the final scene. I had doubts about the film but they were pretty much washed away after the first ten minutes or so.

It's not perfect, of course not. It's at times corny, cheesy, schmaltzy, there are plotholes, some things didn't make sense. My main criticism of it is the Carrie Fisher scenes which felt horribly forced because they were horribly forced.

The fan service didn't go overboard in my view (
    why shouldn't Wedge Antilles reappear at the end, for example?
    and there were some moments which connected with me in a way I didn't think was possible again. Even when
    Chewie 'died' I knew he wasn't dead but the very possibility that he was gone made me think oh God no...what a fantastic scene that was too

We all have our own opinions but I can't imagine someone being outraged or offended at watching a film like this. I just cannot fathom something like that and I don't even want to try. Cultural theft, according to a mean-spirited review on Forbes which calls it a miserable film. How petty. The prequels were abysmal in my opinion but I wasn't offended (I despise that word) or upset by them.

This film was emotional, joyful, triumphant, and a fantastic way to end the whole saga. If you didn't enjoy it that's fine, go ahead and deconstruct it if you want. But don't tell the rest of us why we shouldn't enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭RickBlaine

To be fair, I do find it difficult to criticize the film for Carrie Fisher's scenes. They were left in a very difficult situation after her death and they obviously tried their best to give her character a fitting conclusion with what they had to work with.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Confused dad

Poor end to the trilogy and the series as a whole. Wafer thin plot. Went to the midnight screening. People were actually laughing in the cinema at the climax of the movie. Feedback was generally negative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Initial thoughts was that I really liked it but that's my first reaction to most of JJs stuff.
    Won't get into spoilers here but the climax was well done and earned by the characters.
    Happy to see this story end though. Wanna see more in the expanded universe from now on.

Advertisement